Dim Pro/Le - Shouldn't something you create in Dim Pro sound the same in Dim LE?

Author
karmagician
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
2009/10/01 22:18:44 (permalink)

Dim Pro/Le - Shouldn't something you create in Dim Pro sound the same in Dim LE?

Hi, I'm a developer working on a project that will be ultimately distributed with/for the Dimension LE Plug-in. As such, I am programming some sounds on Dimension Pro, and then loading them into Dimension Le for testing as this is what the majority of end-users will have.

Shouldn't these sound exactly the same? It was my understanding that Dim LE is a player that will load and play any Dim Pro program (assuming the multisounds are available, of course).

Yet, I am hearing significant differences between something I program in Dim Pro, and the same thing loaded into Dim Le.

I can't totally narrow it down, but it seems as if the Element Effect settings do not carry over correctly (I'm talking about the Effect that is part of each Element, that you cannot see in Dim Le.)

For example, I worked on a Pad using the Phased Delay effect, and I made a really cutting phase/filter with high reso, yet loading the finished program into Dim Le, it sounds "watered down" compared to the original. The edge is off of the filter, it's like the resonance is dialed down or something.

Another time, I created some exaggerated EQ settings in Dim Pro. Saving it and loading it into Dim Le, it did not sound the same at all - it's like the EQ settings were half of what I had set them to be.

I'm using Dimension Pro 1.2 on Windows XP. Sure would be nice if you could find the exact version number of Dim Pro and Dim Le in the "splash screen". Checking on the hard drive, the dll versions are: Dim Pro: 1.2.1.34442, and Dim LE: 1.2.0.69

Any ideas on this?

Thanks,
Karmagician

6 Replies Related Threads

slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re:Dim Pro/Le - Shouldn't something you create in Dim Pro sound the same in Dim LE? 2009/10/02 13:32:21 (permalink)

I can't totally narrow it down, but it seems as if the Element Effect settings do not carry over correctly (I'm talking about the Effect that is part of each Element, that you cannot see in Dim Le.)

I do not know, but my thoughts are something like this. If you can't see the parameter/effect/subroutine in LE it probably is not available in LE. If you save an instruction set in Dim Pro that includes the setting for a parameter that is not available in LE, then there would be no way for LE to add that parameter in order to respond to the setting. The parameter settings are only telling the built in effect how it should perform, they are not effects themselves or audio that has been modified by the effect. In that case, you would need to achieve the effect in some other manner that is supported by LE, give up on the effect, or do your LE programming in LE so you know it will work when you are done. That would be my guess.

edit
        Simon Cann comparing Dimension (which I think is basically the early Dimension LE) and Dimension Pro says:
        "Dimension has more FX units:
        Dimension has 15 Element FX units, whereas Dimension Pro has 24 (the main additions being two distortion units and more reverb options)
        Dimension Pro has two reverb FX options, whereas Dimension Pro has seven."

So the two are not identical, and if you are trying to control one of the LE reverbs with instructions written to control a reverb in Pro that does not exist in LE, my point above applies.

Cann Says: " You can share Dimension and Dimension Pro elements between the two synthesizers."  But the problem with saving setting in an element in Pro that do not exist in LE are not mentioned.
    post edited by slartabartfast - 2009/10/02 13:57:24
    slartabartfast
    Re:Dim Pro/Le - Shouldn't something you create in Dim Pro sound the same in Dim LE? 2009/10/02 14:07:17 (permalink)
    If you really want to salvage some characteristics of a processed element output and cannot get Dim LE to reproduce it because of the issues above, one kludge would be to export the processed element as a wave file, sample it and reload it into the LE as an element multi-sample. There is no guarantee that this will yield an identical sound over the full range of pitch and volume that you will get by creating each note de novo in Pro, however.
    karmagician
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re:Dim Pro/Le - Shouldn't something you create in Dim Pro sound the same in Dim LE? 2009/10/02 14:22:46 (permalink)
    EDIT: (removed earlier answer) Sorry, I responded based on what I read in an email notification as opposed to reading everything here. If you read the email, please disregard my earlier response.

OK, that's interesting information that the number of effects are different. I don't really see how that applies to my example, though. I guess I need to do some more in depth testing on basic waveforms to try and determine what's different...
    post edited by karmagician - 2009/10/02 14:27:04
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Dim Pro/Le - Shouldn't something you create in Dim Pro sound the same in Dim LE? 2009/10/02 15:00:10 (permalink)
    Dimension was the original sampler that shipped with P5.  DimPro was the latter stand alone synth package.  DimLe came out latter as a non-progammable playback synth.  Not sure why it doesn't always seem to work with DimPro patches, tho I have no real interaction w/ the light version since I have the Pro version.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    DaveClark
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 956
    Re:Dim Pro/Le - Shouldn't something you create in Dim Pro sound the same in Dim LE? 2009/10/02 15:29:08 (permalink)
    Hi karmagician,

I am not at all surprised by differences between versions of Dimension Pro, LE, etc. based on the history of Dimension.

One question I have is: What sample rate are you running at?  The version of LE that reported distorts audio at any sample rate other than 44,100 samples/sec, whereas the version of Pro that you have is the "fixed" version wherein the distortion and pitch-bending problems are purportedly fixed --- and by my very limited tests, they seem to be.  One additional thing is that the default effects and regions sfz's were also changed between Pro version 1.2 and the "fixed" version, as you may know since you probably did install these.  Whether this affects your situation or not, I have no idea.

Based on your description, it would seem that it isn't too likely that this LE distortion is the cause of the problem you describe (and you may be at 44.1 anyway), but you should be aware that there ARE differences --- probably a number of them --- just as there are differences between versions of Pro itself.

Regards,
    Dave Clark

slartabartfast
    Re:Dim Pro/Le - Shouldn't something you create in Dim Pro sound the same in Dim LE? 2009/10/02 17:07:58 (permalink)
    I don't really see how that applies to my example, though. I guess I need to do some more in depth testing on basic waveforms to try and determine what's different...

Yes, I was probably way off base by confusing Dimension and Dimension LE. Cakewalk specificallly says, Dimension LE features: "Full compatibility with programs created in Dimension Pro." In order to do that all the effects must be the same in both. So the effect in each element that you cannot see in LE remains unexplained.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1