DimPro - Can't get Multitimbral mode to work

Author
Skyline_UK
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2133
2008/04/27 14:22:15 (permalink)

DimPro - Can't get Multitimbral mode to work

I've got DimPro loaded in Sonar 7P. I thought I could play four midi tracks, say guitar 1, guitar 2, piano and bass through the four elements, one in each. But only one makes any sounds - the track assigned to Channel 1. I've ticked the Options/Multitimbral box in DimPro and saved the 'program' but zilch. Am I totally misunderstanding things here? I know I could just open four instances of DimPro but the manual seems to be telling me that's not necessary if I only want four instruments sounding. I've read earlier threads on this but although I'm pretty clued up on midi, Sonar, etc. this is really foxing me!

John

My stuff

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600 @ 3.4GHz, 4 cores, 8 threads, 16GB RAM.
OS & Programs drive: 240GB SSD
Data drives: 1 x 1TB drive RAID mirrored, plus extra 1TB data drive 
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Cakewalk by BandLab 64 bit, Studio One 3, 
Band In A Box 2016, Ozone 8
+ too many other plugins
BandLab page

6 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: DimPro - Can't get Multitimbral mode to work 2008/04/27 14:45:22 (permalink)
    This link should help.

Program files (.prog) can contain up to 4 Elements, each with a different sound. Really, an Element is a sample synthesizer in itself. Most of the shipping presets use Element 1 only, or E1 & E2. There are four Element exceptions, but the point is: Each .prog file that loads will overwrite the previous one. Anything in Element 1 is replaced by Element 1 in the new .prog.

That's why I put together the image in the link above. It details how to fill the four Elements with the sounds of your choosing. Then, when the Set Multitimbral switch is enabled, MIDI channels 1-4 will have something to work with.
    Skyline_UK
    RE: DimPro - Can't get Multitimbral mode to work 2008/04/29 13:43:50 (permalink)
    That's excellent! Many thanks!
    John

My stuff

Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    + too many other plugins
    BandLab page
    Skyline_UK
    RE: DimPro - Can't get Multitimbral mode to work 2008/05/11 17:28:24 (permalink)
    Ok, I'm still getting nothing, zilch, zero sounds. I feel pathetic at the same time as angry because I've used all kinds of soft synths before and this one seems determined to beat me. Here's what I've done so far:

- I have a single midi bass track.
    - Inserted one instance of DP
    - Assigned the bass track to CH1 which says DMNS for some reason now
    - Track channel input: None. Channel Output: Dimension Pro 1
    - Bank: nothing available
    In DP:
    - The top preset box says 'No Preset' - Do I have to load one?
    - The next black field down says 'Empty Program' - Do I have to load one?
    - Next down, the E1 is lit
    - Next field down says 'fingered bass 1 fx.sfz [34.1 MB]' which I loaded. Is that wrong?

Any help appreciated to kick this counter-intuitive piece of software into life! Thanks.

My stuff

Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    + too many other plugins
    BandLab page
    Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: DimPro - Can't get Multitimbral mode to work 2008/05/11 18:49:10 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Skyline_UK

- The top preset box says 'No Preset' - Do I have to load one?
    - The next black field down says 'Empty Program' - Do I have to load one?
    - Next down, the E1 is lit
    - Next field down says 'fingered bass 1 fx.sfz [34.1 MB]' which I loaded. Is that wrong?

Any help appreciated to kick this counter-intuitive piece of software into life! Thanks.

you get the empty box.. click it.. get a drop down box with types of sound.. bass.. lead etc.. go into that.. click on one..

then just play a note.. ya hear a sound hopefully.. when you picked the one you want, just close the drop down box, and empty program will have the program name in it.

your midi + sound card are working? if you trigger it and you see the meters going up, then the issue is with your sound card settings. try sticking the midi in omni mode also

the four elements combine to make one sound (normally).. so say you wanted 4 separate sounds, set up 4 DP's ..

you could program it to play 4 sounds at once , but it would be dunno odd.

post edited by Fog - 2008/05/11 19:10:20
    lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: Dpro - Can't get Multitimbral mode to work 2008/05/11 20:37:54 (permalink)
    If you load a preset in Dpro and it uses only 1 element you have 3 elements left that you can load separately. But you may not load a patch into a element.

Now if you tick the multi box you can load 3 elements but you can't load a patch/preset into an element space. Now each element is controlled by a different midi channel/track.

I know this sounds weird but Dpro is not multi timbrel. What you can do is control each element separately. Because the engine is so efficient there is no reason to group patches and many drawbacks.

What is cool is the ability to control 4 separate elements of a sound with a different midi track. This cool feature is a different approach from a typical multitimbral synth. I know this is heresy but in todays hardware world multitimbral operation is leftover from a very different set of rules long since obsolete and left behind. While people get used to doing things a certain way and get lost when things change.

Newer software synths are using a different approach which mimics multitimbral operation. It still assigns a midi/audio track to each instance but the GUI will show all patches as a group which looks like a multitimbral set. Each instance is separate what is different is how the group is shown in the GUI.

Now comes the tricky part. You can come very close to loading a patch into an element by modding the SFZ file but this is time consuming where you add opcodes to mimic patch settings to a standard SFZ file. While I don't recommend that to someone who does not mod these files often.

The 4 elements can function as 4 separate parts of a whole. A sound, one Patch

Load one sfz file into each element with multi ticked or not and have 4 different sounds with out the patch settings.
    DaveClark
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 956
    RE: DimPro - Can't get Multitimbral mode to work 2008/05/11 20:57:52 (permalink)
    Hi Skyline_UK,

You may want to start over fresh with a new project to ensure that there isn't a problem with something you've inadvertently done.

Before playing anything through DPro in a new project:

Be sure to check your MIDI track(s) for RPN and NRPN messages (Event List & delete any found, all tracks).

You may want to try transposing the Bass track MIDI up one octave to ensure that it's within range. It may not be.

I actually think you are on the right track but something simple went wrong. What you tried to do looks fine to me....

Good Luck!

Regards,
    Dave Clark

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1