DimPro Portamento?

Author
LionSound
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3616
2007/08/11 14:39:59 (permalink)

DimPro Portamento?

Hi all,

Does Dimension Pro have a portamento ontroll anywhere? I've been looking but can't find it.

Thanks

www.soundclick.com/lionsound

FirstStrike 1.2 IS RELEASED! www.fsmod.com

12 Replies Related Threads

syrath
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4075
    RE: DimPro Portamento? 2007/08/11 15:25:58 (permalink)
    No portamento is not available in Dimension Pro, you will need Rapture for that.
    LionSound
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3616
    RE: DimPro Portamento? 2007/08/11 15:51:01 (permalink)
    Nice! I have Rapture and didn't even realize that, hehe. Thanks Stuart.

www.soundclick.com/lionsound

FirstStrike 1.2 IS RELEASED! www.fsmod.com
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: DimPro Portamento? 2007/08/11 16:42:23 (permalink)
    Does Dimension Pro have a portamento ontroll anywhere?
    Courtesy of René, you can add one to any .sfz file. Below is the core file (Sfz Strings (small).sfz) from Dimension Pro's Sfz Strings.prog in 07 - Strings. The added 'polyphonic portamento' part is in bold. The rest of the text below is the original file.

It'll work the same way in any program, in Dimension Pro, LE, or Rapture. The mod wheel controls the portamento rate.
    //-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    // sfz Definition File
    // Version 2
    //
    // © 2005 Cakewalk Music Software
    // All Rights Reserved
    //-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<group>
    eg16_sustain=1
    eg16_level0=0 eg16_time0=0
    eg16_level1=1 eg16_time1_oncc1=10 eg16_shape1=1
    eg16_glide_speed=.1
    eg16_pitch=1200

<region> sample=1st Violins Legato Vel 3 Down\v1ltf3c4d-s1-2.wav key=c4 lokey=b3 hikey=d4 tune=8
    <region> sample=1st Violins Legato Vel 3 Down\v1ltf3ds4d-s2-1.wav key=d#4 hikey=e4 tune=17
    <region> sample=1st Violins Legato Vel 3 Down\v1ltf3fs4d-s2-2.wav key=f#4 lokey=f4 hikey=g#4 tune=25
    <region> sample=1st Violins Legato Vel 3 Down\v1ltf3c5d-s3-3.wav key=c5 lokey=a4 hikey=d#5
    <region> sample=1st Violins Legato Vel 3 Down\v1ltf3fs5d-s4-3.wav key=f#5 lokey=e5 hikey=g#5 tune=16
    <region> sample=1st Violins Legato Vel 3 Down\v1ltf3c6d-s4-2.wav key=c6 lokey=a5 hikey=d#6 tune=5
    <region> sample=1st Violins Legato Vel 3 Down\v1ltf3fs6d-s4-1.wav key=f#6 lokey=e6 hikey=g#6
    <region> sample=1st Violins Legato Vel 3 Down\v1ltf3c7d-s4-2.wav key=c7 lokey=a6 hikey=127 tune=-8

<region> sample=Cellos Legato Down Vel 3\clltf3c2d-s1-4.wav key=c2 lokey=0 hikey=d#2
    <region> sample=Cellos Legato Down Vel 3\clltf3fs2d-s1-2.wav key=f#2 lokey=e2 hikey=g#2
    <region> sample=Cellos Legato Down Vel 3\clltf3b2d-s2-2.wav key=b2 lokey=a2 hikey=d#3 tune=7
    <region> sample=Cellos Legato Down Vel 3\clltf3fs3d-s3-1.wav key=f#3 lokey=e3
    <region> sample=Cellos Legato Down Vel 3\clltf3gs3d-s3-1.wav key=g#3 lokey=g3 hikey=a#3
    syrath
    • Total Posts : 4075
    RE: DimPro Portamento? 2007/08/11 16:44:00 (permalink)
    Thanks Tom, thats a handy tip for the future.
    Philip
    • Total Posts : 4062
    RE: DimPro Portamento? 2007/12/07 22:39:29 (permalink)
    Interesting to try to figure this out.
    post edited by Philip - 2007/12/07 22:52:40

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    fresh101
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 772
    RE: DimPro Portamento? 2007/12/08 01:10:40 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: b rock

Does Dimension Pro have a portamento ontroll anywhere?
    Courtesy of René, you can add one to any .sfz file. Below is the core file (Sfz Strings (small).sfz) from Dimension Pro's Sfz Strings.prog in 07 - Strings. The added 'polyphonic portamento' part is in bold. The rest of the text below is the original file.

It'll work the same way in any program, in Dimension Pro, LE, or Rapture. The mod wheel controls the portamento rate. [

What if you need the mod wheel for that particular instrument (articulation, vibrato, etc) ? Is their a way to assign it to something else?
    b rock
    RE: DimPro Portamento? 2007/12/08 06:33:35 (permalink)
    What if you need the mod wheel for that particular instrument (articulation, vibrato, etc) ? Is their a way to assign it to something else?
    Of course. Customization is one of the great advantages of a text-based format like .sfz. Simply change "_oncc1=" to another number.

If you use breath control, make it "_oncc2=". The pitch wheel? "_oncc128=". (Being a bidirectional control, the pitch wheel will hold the rate amount halfway at rest.) If you choose a switch, such as a sustain pedal ( "_oncc64="), the portamento rate will vary from fully off to fully on.

Keep in mind that some control sources will also perform another function by default (pitch, sustain, channel volume, global attack, etc.). Toggle those off on the front panel, or use another CC number for your portamento rate. As a rule, front panel interface controls will override any .sfz setting.
    Philip
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Hacking DimPro ? 2007/12/08 10:14:37 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: b rock

Of course. Customization is one of the great advantages of a text-based format like .sfz. Simply change "_oncc1=" to another number.

If you use breath control, make it "_oncc2=". The pitch wheel? "_oncc128=". (Being a bidirectional control, the pitch wheel will hold the rate amount halfway at rest.) If you choose a switch, such as a sustain pedal ( "_oncc64="), the portamento rate will vary from fully off to fully on.

Keep in mind that some control sources will also perform another function by default (pitch, sustain, channel volume, global attack, etc.). Toggle those off on the front panel, or use another CC number for your portamento rate. As a rule, front panel interface controls will override any .sfz setting.

Seeing that changing front panel controls (4-fold with 4 element-sets) ... Tinkering with *.sfz files is not for the faint of heart. Consider the following help-file warning:

Unlike Program files, the multisamples (.sfz, .wav, .ogg) are not included in the Song Persistence. The set of multisamples used in a song can easily go over a few hundred megabytes, so it's definitely not a good idea to have them inside every song file. Therefore, songs will be dependent on multisample changes.

Additionally, the samples are external standard wave files which can be edited using a standard wave editor. Consequently, this warning is here: if a multisample definition file is edited, and/or a sample file is edited, the old song might sound different after reloading it if it happens to use the edited files.

An obvious safe way to tinker with *.sfz files might perhaps be to make new *.sfz files based on the old *.sfz files ... giving them peculiar names like: "Philips Special (Small) Strings.sfz".

Yet, I'm hypothesizing that 95% to 99% of *.sfz file tinkering is unnecessary.

Do any of you mess with *.sfz files to get portamento or any other special effects in DimPro?
    post edited by Philip - 2007/12/08 10:15:59

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    b rock
    RE: Hacking DimPro ? 2007/12/08 11:20:22 (permalink)
    Seeing that changing front panel controls (4-fold with 4 element-sets) ... Tinkering with *.sfz files is not for the faint of heart.
    It's not for everyone. There are several layered approaches to the [Cakewalk] instruments, and this is the deepest available level. But it's there for the capability of customizing your own synth.

To clarify, though: One Element contains one .sfz file, so changing a GUI control in an Element affects only that loaded .sfz file. It's also a temporary override condition. Nothing is permanently changed in the .sfz file until you edit and save it. The effect of the front panel controls just takes precedence.
    An obvious safe way to tinker with *.sfz files might perhaps be to make new *.sfz files based on the old *.sfz files ...
    That should be a given, in any similar endeavor. Preserve the original; edit a copy. Double that if you're just experimenting. Sorry if wasn't crystal clear with that here. I know what I'm doing wth .sfz, and never make permanent edits without backups.
    I'm hypothesizing that 95% to 99% of *.sfz file tinkering is unnecessary.
    For most, that's absolutely true. The MIDI Matrix is also unnecessary for preset surfers, or those who don't use MIDI input.

But for a minority, it offers an astounding level of detail. You can completely re-configure a synth to your needs, or simply change the behavior of one isolated parameter. It's all contained in one tiny, easily 'transportable' package that loads into a single Element. Even those who don't want to tinker with .sfz can simply copy/paste the text from any online source.

Edit:
    Do any of you mess with *.sfz files to get portamento or any other special effects in DimPro?
    A little.
    post edited by b rock - 2007/12/08 11:25:00
    guild80
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: Hacking DimPro ? 2009/04/12 19:32:29 (permalink)
    I input the above portamento code and it appears to work well except for something that I hope someone can help me with.

When I use the code and play legato without moving the mod wheel the legato note emits a little chirp on releasing the key. For example, suppose I play two notes using an instrument programmed for legato, holding the first note down when playing the second note to trigger legato. When using the mod wheel to play portamento the legato note does not chirp as long as I hold the mod wheel when releasing the legato note. If I play the notes without the mod wheel it chirps. The same thing happens if I reprogram he portamento code to use the sustain instead of the mod wheel to trigger portamento.

As written the portamento is a little slow for my tastes so I changed the glide speed from 0.1 to 0.01. I also changed the shape1 value to 0 so that it would trigger portamento going up as well as down. It only worked going down when using shape1=1.

Any ideas where to look for fixing the chirp sound when releasing the legato note?

Thanks!
    karmagician
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Hacking DimPro ? 2009/10/22 03:30:53 (permalink)
    guild80

I input the above portamento code and it appears to work well except for something that I hope someone can help me with.

When I use the code and play legato without moving the mod wheel the legato note emits a little chirp on releasing the key.

I was playing with this today, and perhaps by now you realized that setting the glide time short also causes the chirp on release. Did you ever figure out a workaround for this? I will admit that the code in the .sfz is kind of gibberish to me; I wouldn't know where to start (yet) to try and fix that and still have a short glide time...
    guild80
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: Hacking DimPro ? 2009/10/23 01:18:32 (permalink)
    karmagician,

It has been a while since I have been able to play with this, but I think I remember something I did to fix the problem.  I looked at my .sfz for a solo violin with portamento and legato, where the portamento is triggered using the sustain pedal.  The code is shown below with the bold part being the portamento code applied to the legato note group.  The main changes compared to the code above is removing the sustain line and adding the level2 line, shortening the glide time, and adding the amp_release line.  I don't have my system setup at this time, but I believe that this code worked well without the chirps.  Let me know if it works for you...

// Legato Note
    <group>
    group=2
    trigger=legato
    // portamento using glide envelope
    eg16_level0=0 eg16_time0=0
    eg16_level1=1 eg16_time1_oncc64=10 eg16_shape1=1
    eg16_level2=1 eg16_time2=0
    eg16_glide_speed=.01
    eg16_pitch=1200
    amp_release=50

<region> sample=MVlnG6.wav key=g3 tune=2 offset=7284