DimPro preset abbreviations

Author
SH
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 942
2006/07/06 17:45:56 (permalink)

DimPro preset abbreviations

Many preset names have abbreviation I think I know what they mean (f=forte, p=piano, mw=Mod wheel, etc). A few, many under PIANO, and can't figure out.
What does 1v, 3v, 4th, m3, rt, rt sim, etc. mean on the piano preset names? Also BT on preset names in Pentagon I?

1 Reply Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: DimPro preset abbreviations 2006/07/06 18:43:15 (permalink)
    What does 1v, 3v, 4th, m3, rt, rt sim, etc. mean on the piano preset names?
    OK, "rt" stands for Release Trigger: that click noise that happens when you release keys on an acoustic piano. Anything with "sim' in it uses a Body/Damper simulation to kick in some string vibration sounds with the sustain pedal. What do they call that: half-pedaling? You know what I mean: your hands have the keys pressed; opening them up for other notes to start them vibrating. These add some resource overhead to the programs, but also add a level of realism. Combinations use both.

From here out, it's educated guessing. 1v and 3v indicate the number of velocity levels that a piano preset uses. I always thought that "m3" and "4th" refer to the distance between samples used in the program. m3 may stand for a minor third, but then 4th? It's not a perfect fourth, but it does appear that these program samples are spaced 4 keys apart. Here's the thing, though: the .sfz files point to every third or fourth key, but it looks to me like an entire 88-key piano was sampled.

Check out all of those "unused" piano samples. No doubt it's a good compromise to span several keys, tune ranges within the .sfz file, and keep the memory requirements down. But I see no reason that you couldn't easily construct a massive piano out of these, keeping in mind that it's going to top a gig or more in memory.

I'd say that BT marks the programs that Nico Herz of Bigtone did for Pentagon. He did do some electronica work for Dimension Pro.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1