Dimension ADSR How?

Author
DonM
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4129
2006/05/20 14:06:35 (permalink)

Dimension ADSR How?

I've searched the forum a few times today looking for a thread to advise me how to change the attack of a Dimension instrument. I specifically want to change the bowing of a string attack to be a bit slower - it kind of rushes in - I apologize in advance for asking what seems to be a simple question - but my searches were not fruitful - thanks in advance.

-D

15 Replies Related Threads

lfm
    Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2216
    RE: Dimension ADSR How? 2006/05/20 14:40:13 (permalink)
    I guess you have discovered that strings usually has the modulation wheel for changing attack. But from what I remember activating the wheel makes attack shorter, so I guess you are looking for the other way around.

So there are two way to go:

a) Change the default start offset i modulation matrix
    b) Change the attack time of amplitude

Anyway, mark the element(or one at a time) that you want to change. Usually the Amp button on bottom right is selected by default meaning amplifier. Let the mouse hoover above the second dot from the left showing you the time of attack. Just drag and move to the left or right as needed and you are done.

(don't forget to save program later(maybe as another name)
    post edited by lfm - 2006/05/20 14:49:25
    René
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Dimension ADSR How? 2006/05/20 15:03:34 (permalink)
    Here's a picture of how to create a typical ADSR envelope in Dimension Pro:

Attack: In a standard ADSR envelope, there's no 'Attack Level' but 'Attack Time'. Therefore, the second node must remain at maximum level. Dragging it left/right you adjust the attack time, the value is displayed in the readout.

Decay/Sustain: The third node defines simultaneously the Decay Time (by moving it left/right) and the Sustain Level (moving it up/down). The place where the orange line falls is the level the EG will keep until you release the key, once it's reached.

Release: The fourth node needs to go down to minimum, as the Release in a standard ADSR controls the Release Time (not Release Level). Moving the node left/right will determinate the type of Release. I have used Natural Release (blue line) here, due most ADSR have exponential release.

-René
    DonM
    RE: Dimension ADSR How? 2006/05/20 16:45:51 (permalink)
    You guys are awesome. Rene - the graphic is pristine my compliments - now to my workstation... Thanks.

Rene - a follow up question - I notice in your screen capture, the EG status says 'off' - should that be or not?

-D
    post edited by DonM - 2006/05/20 16:54:37

DonM
    RE: Dimension ADSR How? 2006/05/20 17:17:41 (permalink)
    Darn! Still can't get the strings (Cello long bows.sfz) to behave the whole notes I am playing have a definate cut off between the notes even though I've added a rising attack and tried several diffeent times!

-D

René
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Dimension ADSR How? 2006/05/20 17:37:47 (permalink)
    Well, playing or sequencing strings on sample-playback machines isn't trivial. I think you need to determine if you need to adjust your attack or release.
    Check this snippet, I created it using cellos long bows:

http://www.rgcstuff.com/External/CellosLongBows.mp3

Here's the program (Dimension Pro), uses a very naive EG construction, just attack and release.

http://www.rgcstuff.com/External/CellosLongBows.prog

You need to play carefully the note transitions (more than I did actually), or adjust them in the sequence to overlap a bit. You can try using the lengthen command in SONAR for that, or do it manually.

-René

DonM
    RE: Dimension ADSR How? 2006/05/20 18:37:46 (permalink)
    Rene:
    Got It! You rock! I have the control and sound that I needed - thanks a ton! It was the release not the attack!

-D

lfm
    Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2216
    RE: Dimension ADSR How? 2006/05/21 04:21:47 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DonM

Rene:
    Got It! You rock! I have the control and sound that I needed - thanks a ton! It was the release not the attack!

-D

You can very well use the sustain pedal to let notes blend a bit. You might need to practice a bit, but that is a way to go also.
    DonM
    RE: Dimension ADSR How? 2006/05/21 07:40:55 (permalink)
    IFM:
    The transitions between notes did not sound natural with the sustain pedal. Humbly - I'm a good keyboard player - just new to the DimPro ADSR. Thanks for the suggestion.

-D

hypolydien
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 258
    RE: Dimension ADSR How? 2006/09/11 12:05:07 (permalink)
    I am a dimension newby and I am having some problems with the ADSR, so I am resurecting this thread.

I can't seem to be able to work the release time in my ADSR envelope(amplitude envelope).

Basically, whatever I do with my last node, the notes I play always stop as soon as I lift the finger from my keyboard.

I have never had problems setting ADSRs before with other synths, and strangely the first nodes in my envelopes do have an effect. I manage to edit the attack the decay/sustain but not the release.

Is there something I am not getting?

Thanks,

Jean
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Dimension ADSR How? 2006/09/11 14:58:51 (permalink)
    Hey, Jean. I think you might not be setting the sustain point. It's the dividing line that marks the placement of your Note Off in the lifespan of a note. Anything before it would be the 'norma'l stages of attack/decay, and anything after it begins the release stage. To set a sustain point, highlight the desired node, and press "S" on the Qwerty keyboard. You should see a reddish-orange vertical line appear. Do this, and everything else will fall into place for you.

One thing that I always did in the beginning was forget to enable the status of the Amp EG to On. When that's the case, the hidden "master" Amp EG takes over, with an instant attack, flat decay/sustain portion, and an immediate release to zero level. I must've done that dozens of times at the start.

I never did get to my promised Nodes & Segments tutorial, but there is an advanced one on the P5 wiki. Maybe you can weed through that and get something out of it: Multiple AttackDecayRelease.
    naughtyhill
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1037
    RE: Dimension ADSR How? 2006/09/11 15:12:06 (permalink)
    Hi hypo,

In dimpro, hover over the sustain point so that it's lit/selected. Then press s on your qwerty keyboard. Make sure that the dimpro gui has the focus or else pressing s wont work.
    An alternate way is to hover/select the sustain node and right click at black area between amplitude and time ( see pic below ) and select "set/clear active node as sustain"
    You will maybe notice that after you've done all this, one way or another, a vertical orange line will appear beneath the sustain node.

Try it. You'll like it.

All the best,

NTH.

edit: jeez Tom beat me to it .....again.

edit 2: dang my pic says eg status is off. Obviously you must switch it on.
    post edited by naughtyhill - 2006/09/11 15:31:34

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Dimension ADSR How? 2006/09/11 15:42:41 (permalink)
    jeez
    Today Only. ADSR Special: buy one; get one free.
    naughtyhill
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1037
    RE: Dimension ADSR How? 2006/09/11 15:44:59 (permalink)

hypolydien
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 258
    RE: Dimension ADSR How? 2006/09/11 15:54:21 (permalink)
    THanks guys,

I did the "S" thing and it worked. Maybe I'll tyry Naughty's trick later.

I must admit, it wasn't so clear from the manual. I had read that little paragraph about how to set the loop point, but I had no idea it would affect the release.

O.K., now just about 7.46 gigs of samples left to check out. Should be fun.

I must say I am quite impressed with what I have heard so far.
    Rhytenow
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 73
    RE: Dimension ADSR How? 2012/05/29 20:42:01 (permalink)
    This picture is missing how do you do the ADSR  in Dimension Pro? I want a fast attack and a fast release on most of the instruments I use.  
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1