Dimension Midi Learn

Author
stephen
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 53
2005/05/31 15:34:05 (permalink)

Dimension Midi Learn

Can any one help? I'm struggling to work out how to midi control parameters on Dimension when I have it inserted as an instrument in Sonar 3.

I like the way you can do it in P5 but the only way I can see to do it in Sonar is by using the Midi Matrix. But for some reason I can't get this to work, well I can but it doesn't seem to work how I expect it to, the knob on the gui doesn't move when I turn my controller, although it does alter the sound , but it doesn't sound the same has when I adjust it with the mouse. Also all parameters aren't available in the midi matrix , but they are all then in Poject 5. Is there something really obvious that I am missing?

Please tell me the midi matix is not the the only way? Why no shift-right like in Z3ta+ ?

12 Replies Related Threads

da berzurkur
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 217
    RE: Dimension Midi Learn 2005/05/31 15:55:53 (permalink)
    Hey stephen, I'm not sitting in front of Dimension right this minute, (and I have not tried it in Sonar), but I'm pretty sure you can right mouse-click (context menu) to access the midi learn feature in the Dimension gui. Hopefully our Dimension guru René will drop in and enlighten you further...sorry I can't be of more assistance
    René
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Dimension Midi Learn 2005/05/31 16:37:50 (permalink)
    Can any one help? I'm struggling to work out how to midi control parameters on Dimension when I have it inserted as an instrument in Sonar 3.

To control any parameter via MIDI in Dimension, you need to enter those parameters in the MIDI matrix. Dimension doesn't feature MIDI Learn, as in Project 5 the host allows assigning any MIDI controller to any synth parameter.

-René
    stephen
    RE: Dimension Midi Learn 2005/05/31 17:18:26 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: René

To control any parameter via MIDI in Dimension, you need to enter those parameters in the MIDI matrix. Dimension doesn't feature MIDI Learn, as in Project 5 the host allows assigning any MIDI controller to any synth parameter.

-René

So only a limited number of parameters are available this way? No bit reduction or decimation , which is a shame as they were the two that I really wanted to control for the particular song , never mind. I realise that Dimension is first and foremost part of Project 5 and wasn't made to work exactly the same in Sonar, I wish my computer was more powerful then I could rewire P5 into Sonar.

I guess full Midi Learn is out of the question in a future update?
    da berzurkur
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 217
    RE: Dimension Midi Learn 2005/05/31 17:28:45 (permalink)
    My bad, I was wrong. I haven't gotten too deep with parameter control in Dimension yet so it looks like I need to go back to school Sorry for the misinfo.
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Dimension Midi Learn 2005/05/31 17:35:21 (permalink)
    In V2, Stephen, the procedure has become quite similar to the way it's done in Sonar 3. You're still looking to the [audio] Track Inspector, but in Sonar, you need to press the FX button at the bottom enough times to turn it blue. You should now see four 'widgets' exposed in the Track Inspector; each with a parameter listed.

Now you can Reassign those parameters to any exposed by Dimension, and also Remote Control the parameter. Both of these are in the right-click menu of a particular 'widget'. Remember that Sonar's Learn function is a little different than P5's [not updated until you click Learn, rather than Stop Learning].

With this method, you can indeed control Bit Reduction and Decimation On/Off and Depth parameters for each of the four Elements. HTH
    stephen
    RE: Dimension Midi Learn 2005/05/31 17:49:47 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: b rock

In V2, Stephen, the procedure has become quite similar to the way it's done in Sonar 3. You're still looking to the [audio] Track Inspector, but in Sonar, you need to press the FX button at the bottom enough times to turn it blue. You should now see four 'widgets' exposed in the Track Inspector; each with a parameter listed.

Now you can Reassign those parameters to any exposed by Dimension, and also Remote Control the parameter. Both of these are in the right-click menu of a particular 'widget'. Remember that Sonar's Learn function is a little different than P5's [not updated until you click Learn, rather than Stop Learning].

With this method, you can indeed control Bit Reduction and Decimation On/Off and Depth parameters for each of the four Elements. HTH

Nice one b rock , I knew there would be a way, I'm off now to see if I can get it to work. Thanks very much.
    René
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Dimension Midi Learn 2005/05/31 18:01:38 (permalink)
    I guess full Midi Learn is out of the question in a future update?

Nothing is out of the question Make sure you submit a FR for it!

-René
    shaunch
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Dimension Midi Learn 2005/06/05 05:55:36 (permalink)
    Is there any way of controlling the Vector Mixer from Midi - in particular from something like the X-Y pad on a Novation Keyboard?

It seems to me that the main benefit from the Vector Mixer is real time control.
    b rock
    RE: Dimension Midi Learn 2005/06/05 07:56:20 (permalink)
    It seems to me that the main benefit from the Vector Mixer is real time control.
    It is, along with being able to record the movements for automation on playback. Check out my response in your other posted topic found here.
    spigot
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Dimension Midi Learn 2005/06/14 02:51:42 (permalink)

Thank you B Rock for the excellent description of how to get at Dimension's exposed parameters. I am having "partial success" with automating parameters within Dimension through Sonar 4, but wonder if I am missing or overlooking something. Here's a quick synopsis of what I'm trying and what I'm getting:

- With Dimension inserted as a DXi synth in the effects bin of an audio track, I am able to hear/play it via a midi track (with the midi track's out pointed at the Dimension instance). Via the "blue" FX properties, I can choose from a huge seleciton (probably all?) of Dimension's parameters. In my test, I chose Cutoff01 and BitRed Depth 01. I bind remote control to CC knobs 41 and 42 on my Radium 61 to Cutoff01 and BidRed01 respectively.

-After arming the midi track (and/or audio track, tried every combo of this to be safe) for automation, I hit record and use the knobs to alter the sound as the midi notes play back. I can hear the effects of the changing parameters, and see the automation data being drawn onto the midi track as I play. Looks perfect.

-I stop recording, and then play back to hear what I've just done. Although I can hear the notes, no automation data is playing back. I've tried playing back while keeping the tracks armed for automation, un-arming them, solo'ing them, un-solo'ing them... any combination I can think of that might be causing a problem, but still no automation data is heard.

-Eventually I figured out that if I create a listener in Dimension's midi matrix for CC 41, that I can hear/seet the cutoff automation data while the track plays back. Aha! But... this puzzles me because there does not seem to be an option to make Bit Reduction a destination within the midi Matrix. So... how to make Dimension hear the data that exists on the track for CC knob 42?

I find the most confusing part of this to be the fact that I can see the (Bit Reduction) Dimension param in Sonar, assign it, remote it; and even hear it working as I'm recording it. But it just won't play back. Logic tells me that if I'm able to hear it while recording, and able to get it to play back in Dimension (although I have to assign the proper CC for it in the midi matrix (is this step necessary?)), that I should somehow be able get the automation data from CC 42 to register with Dimension's bit depth parameter. The question is how. :)

An explanation like "you forgot to press this magic button" would be briefly embarrasing but nonetheless appreciated. ;)

spigot

spigot fields
    b rock
    RE: Dimension Midi Learn 2005/06/15 18:01:29 (permalink)
    Sorry for the delay, Greg. I was away.

An explanation like "you forgot to press this magic button" would be briefly embarrasing but nonetheless appreciated
    I wouldn't quite put it that way; there is a "magic button", but I didn't explain the procedure well enough to uncover it for you. Sonar has a mutually-exclusive approach to automation. If you arm any track for "regular" recording, the Record Automation option is defeated. Just to reiterate: the MIDI Matrix in Dimension works very well in a parallel fashion, but you are limited to the destinations available to it. [The sources are well covered, and then some. Much better than Cakewalk's present MRC implementation.]
    I find the most confusing part of this to be the fact that I can see the (Bit Reduction) Dimension param in Sonar, assign it, remote it; and even hear it working as I'm recording it. But it just won't play back.
    It's not being recorded. You hear the Remote Control changes actively during the process that you've described, but only the direct "common" MIDI messages are being recorded. The missing pieces of the puzzle are the Arm for Automation toggle and the Record Automation button in the Transport. In the same 'widget' right-click menu as Remote Control and Reassign, tick the Arm for Automation command for each parameter used. [This is after the process that you've already set up above in your reply.] That'll make the Record Automation button [next to the Record button] active, and you're set to go. If that button isn't highlighted, chances are that another track has been armed for "regular" recording. You can select/deselect all tracks globally within the Playback State toolbar.

Then hit the Record Automation transport button, and start recording your remote control messages (usually as a second pass; after the note values have previously been recorded]. You should see your automation recorded as a series of nodes and curves [after Stop] in the companion audio track of the Dimension pair. You're then free to edit, delete, or reassign the nodes and curve(s) with a combination of mouse movement and right-click options.

I hope that I didn't leave anything out again; I am feeling a bit out of sorts. Please feel free to reply back if this doesn't work for you. BTW: The description comes from S3PE; it shouldn't be too much different in S4, but I'll check it for any discrepancies. HTH
    spigot
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Dimension Midi Learn 2005/06/18 23:26:10 (permalink)

I hope that I didn't leave anything out again

You definitely didn't, the problem was that I was using regular record instead of "record for automation". Seeing the data "show up" in the track the way I'm used to seeing midi messages record (in the source midi track) fooled me into thinking it was almost working using that method... then I tried 'record automation', and wouldn't you know it... brand new nodes & envelopes were created right there in the audio track.

Thanks for your help on that one!

spigot

spigot fields
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1