Dimension Piano Expansion Pack Reviews?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
dantarbill
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1820
2007/06/28 18:45:51 (permalink)

Dimension Piano Expansion Pack Reviews?

Are there any (very) early adopters that can speak from personal experience about the new Dimension Piano Expansion Pack?

Dan Tarbill

30 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Dimension Piano Expansion Pack Reviews? 2007/06/28 19:14:03 (permalink)
    Hmm. What exactly would you like to know? I posted a few comments starting [here]. Personal experience could be anything from my subjective likes and dislikes to a laundry list of the presets included. I may do that list later and post it to the Wiki, but these are are still very new to me at this point.

Here's a start: There's 31 Grand pianos based on a Yamaha model in the Dimension Grand Piano section alone. Half are around 500 megabyte (+ or -) files, nearly another half hover around 200 MB, and the Duel Grand Pianos is 737 MB. The feel is deeply expressive, and the velocity layering is extensive & smooth.
    Nick P
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3112
    RE: Dimension Piano Expansion Pack Reviews? 2007/06/28 19:25:48 (permalink)
    Of course you may want to consider the possibility that "B Rock" is somehow connected with Cakewalk. He seems to know everything about every Cakewalk product, and his post count seems pretty incredulous, given the time the Cakewalk forums have been in existence. That's over 5 posts a day every day of the 42 months he's been a member. There are actually only 2 other members with slightly higher post counts. After the first 4 members, the post count on the 5th and subsequent members drops by close to 2,000 posts.

I still wonder how someone can find the time to know everything about every product a company makes, create significant amount of content for those products, and participate in that company's online forums at such a high frequency, without somehow being associated with that company.

Now I have no problem with that, even if the company has decided to engage certain individuals as "laymen" participants.

Just wondering. Inquiring minds want to know. For example, where is "Anytown - South of Miami"? Can't find that on Mapquest. Maybe it's closer to Boston than we think, LOL!

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!
    b rock
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Dimension Piano Expansion Pack Reviews? 2007/06/28 19:40:11 (permalink)
    Yeah, that's it. My cover has been blown. I'm really the CEO of Cakewalk; vacationing in Florida while still secretly pulling all of the strings. Get real. It's totally unrelated **** like this that makes me want to stop giving back anything here.
    wrench45us
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4991
    RE: Dimension Piano Expansion Pack Reviews? 2007/06/28 20:04:58 (permalink)
    we used to 'talk' a lot more on the P5 forum and it was pretty easy to put up 5 posts in an hour -- a day you could go from bronze to silver with a decent discussion

here's my unbiased review
    I thought the original Dim Pro set a very high standard for certain patches esp some e-piano and guitar sounds. So the free expansion packs raised some anticipation, but (imo) the percentage of sounds in the free packs that met the highest standards set by the original pack was pretty low -- a few here and there.
    This for cash money has a pretty high percentage of sounds that reach that standard again. Again the pianos, the guitars and a lot more strings -- very rich warm sound. Oh and some of these basses, very nice -- that upright bass on the splits and that dirty electric bass is spot on.
    When Dim Pro is on , it's really on (and I mean on, better than what ships with Kontakt for sound and play)
    Finally there's a choir -- a single male choir -- good though

My sniggles
    There could be more choirs, more brass -- there's a few good saxes across the entire Dim Pro Original, 1,2 whole collection and and an excellent trombone and a muted trumpet -- but for that special ambient lounge trip hop that defines the current genre du jour.

post edited by wrench45us - 2007/06/28 20:11:57

Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: Dimension Piano Expansion Pack Reviews? 2007/06/28 21:29:24 (permalink)
    It's totally unrelated **** like this that makes me want to stop giving back anything here.

Yes, I can imagine. Anyone seen yep lately, for instance [just HOPE he's only on holiday]. Same thing.

BTW I'll probably beat that pathetic postcount of yours in 6 months or so.

[oh, and don't you dare really go - still need loads of info on those Galbanums]

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    inmazevo
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3276
    RE: Dimension Piano Expansion Pack Reviews? 2007/06/28 21:35:49 (permalink)
    Anybody used the Rapture expansion yet?

No matter. I'll probably get them both anyway... tonight... after a pint or two more when I'm less concerned about money.
    Just wondering.

b,
    I've learned some of my best new info from you, though I haven't actually taken the time to say thanks properly.

THANKS.
    You're like the encyclopedia of Cakewalk and synths.
    I'm regularly amazed. (personally, I think Cake SHOULD pay you something).

Take care,
    - zevo
    post edited by inmazevo - 2007/06/28 21:41:35
    Frank@ProSounds
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 199
    RE: Dimension Piano Expansion Pack Reviews? 2007/06/28 23:14:24 (permalink)

Actually Nick...B-Rock is not affiliated with Cakewalk at all. That's why we like him so much. He really just gives that much of his time and effort, and is a paying customer just like everyone else on these forums. Sure, he may have quite a bit of free time on his hands but he has done everything a cakewalk employee should be doing, without being a cakewalk employee. Incredible asset to any user base if you ask me.

Although, I must admit...I'm glad there aren't a ton of 'B-Rocks' in the world....If every synthesizer had even 1 supporter like B-Rock in its user base...I might be out of a job.

Peace
    post edited by Frank@ProSounds - 2007/06/28 23:19:24
    InstrEd
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1276
    RE: Dimension Piano Expansion Pack Reviews? 2007/06/28 23:40:42 (permalink)
    B-rock Please don't go!!!!!!
    I have just been trying to learn Dim Pro and Rapture by using your examples.
    We all would be lost without you.
    I think Nick P and me are amazed at how quickly you're able to grasp these synths.

Again Please Come Back
    Ed
    whitefalcon
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1161
    RE: Dimension Piano Expansion Pack Reviews? 2007/06/28 23:48:01 (permalink)
    Yeah, that's it. My cover has been blown. I'm really the CEO of Cakewalk; vacationing in Florida while still secretly pulling all of the strings. Get real. It's totally unrelated **** like this that makes me want to stop giving back anything here.

Tom dont listen to that kind of talk. You have many friends in here that know you and have known you for a long time
    whitefalcon
    RE: Dimension Piano Expansion Pack Reviews? 2007/06/29 01:32:51 (permalink)
    Well I ordered mine. Heads up for others, AOL does not like the Cakewalk download so I used Opera instead. If you have problems downloading it you may want to try that route.
    Well its there waiting to install. I will let you all know what I think...
    Dan Tarbill common Join the rush to be first ha ha....

I bought True Pianos a few weeks back on a discount buy...
    I have always loved Yamaha Pianos, some of the best for sure. I am looking forward to the Piano sounds and String sounds in this one...
    post edited by whitefalcon - 2007/06/29 01:38:20
    Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: Dimension Piano Expansion Pack Reviews? 2007/06/29 03:03:37 (permalink)
    So, just added 5 more idiots to my blocklist - some I should have ages ago. Nick P, congrats.

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    Nick P
    RE: Dimension Piano Expansion Pack Reviews? 2007/06/29 04:30:55 (permalink)
    I think Nick P and me are amazed at how quickly you're able to grasp these synths.

This is true!
    post edited by Nick P - 2007/06/29 06:19:57

cryophonik
    Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: Dimension Piano Expansion Pack Reviews? 2007/06/29 10:53:33 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: inmazevo

Anybody used the Rapture expansion yet?

Hey zevo,

I bought both expansions last night and spent most of the evening playing around with the Rapture Biolabs one. I was pretty blown away by it. Overall, the expansion is very Absynth-like - lots of evolving textures, ambiance, effects, and rhythmic capabilities. I was most impressed with the patches in the Pads, Basses (super-phat & wall-shaking), and Atmospheres categories - very usable sounds, especially for anything on the darker side of electronica. The "Rhythmics" patches are also very cool, although I don't know how usable they are. At the very least, they're great starting points for your own complex sounds and they demonstrate the depth of Rapture's capabilities (esp. the step generator).

I don't think the audio demos do this expansion justice and, in fact, I was considering throwing together a short demo of maybe 4 or 5 patches from each category, but I wasn't sure how CW would feel about that (and I got too tired).

b,
    I've learned some of my best new info from you, though I haven't actually taken the time to say thanks properly.

THANKS.
    You're like the encyclopedia of Cakewalk and synths.
    I'm regularly amazed. (personally, I think Cake SHOULD pay you something).

Take care,
    - zevo

+1. Couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks b rock!

Nick_P - so now you've gone from whiner/hypocrite/forum police to just making stupid and baseless allegations toward one of the most respected and helpful members of these forums? Doesn't speak well for your character...

edit: sorry, Dan, I didn't mean to hijack the thread. I did give many of the DimPro expansion patches a quick listen, primarily the pianos, basses, and orchestral instruments. The pianos sounded pretty nice and seemed expressive, but I played them using my Virus (semi-weighted keys), so I'll reserve judgment until I try them with my weighted-key controller this weekend.
    post edited by cryophonik - 2007/06/29 11:40:26

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
    Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Dimension Piano Expansion Pack Reviews? 2007/06/29 14:49:49 (permalink)
    fortunately, b-rock has an alligator-thick hide. That's why you can't find his address in the everglades. Bring your poddle if you want to find him.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    René
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Dimension Piano Expansion Pack Reviews? 2007/06/29 16:21:43 (permalink)
    Just wondering. Inquiring minds want to know. For example, where is "Anytown - South of Miami"? Can't find that on Mapquest. Maybe it's closer to Boston than we think, LOL!

That's probably right. Anyone knows that the only way to be related with Cakewalk somehow is by living in Boston

Tom, even if everyone here wouldn't valuate your superb attitude and dedication towards creating a positive, creative and resourceful community, which I know isn't the case as many folks do valuate it, please receive my humble gratitude.

And if you leave, beer bets are automatically void. Damn. Now I think that's against my interests.

PS in the eventual, potential and hypothetic case that you're not really totally an alligator hunter and you are really who you previously said you are in this thread... can we talk about that small rise... you know... potentially speaking...
    Opus
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 303
    RE: Dimension Piano Expansion Pack Reviews? 2007/06/29 19:16:19 (permalink)
    I'd go for the download but,
    upgrading over the net last time was such a frik$*_+ night mare!
    Nick P
    RE: Dimension Piano Expansion Pack Reviews? 2007/06/29 19:45:30 (permalink)
    I didn't realize that each pack was $59. At that price, it would be nice to have some type of demo to mess about with. It's one thing to hear a really nice sounding piano (the Dark Grand - not the others), however it's another thing to actually play it. Also, I'd like to at least hear some of the sounds in the other categories like Orchestral and Synth.

tdye
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1926
    RE: Dimension Piano Expansion Pack Reviews? 2007/06/29 19:45:51 (permalink)
    I need a little assistance from someone who has downloaded these files before. There are two files on the download screen - one is a DMG extension and the other is a EXE extension. Do I need both? What is the DMG file? Does it matter where I download them to, or just where I run the install (assuming that must be the EXE file). Any help is appriciated.

Tom
    http://www.soundclick.com/tomdye
    http://www.ourstage.com/profile/tomdye
    http://twitter.com/tom_dye

Dell Dimension 8400 Pentium 4 w/HyperThreading 3.2GHz, 3 GB Ram, Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM)
    Sonar 8 Producer Edition, Rapture, Project5
    tdye
    • Total Posts : 1926
    RE: Dimension Piano Expansion Pack Reviews? 2007/06/29 21:32:13 (permalink)
    I installed using the EXE. The DMG must be a Mac thing or whatever, so I skipped it. Anywho, I like the expansion pack. The pianos are nice. Some of the Orchestral combos are really beautiful. Does anyone know what the 'KU' on the piano names stands for?
    VaporCom
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 169
    RE: Dimension Piano Expansion Pack Reviews? 2007/06/29 21:34:00 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: b rock

Not that I buy it, but I really wouldn't care. You are a true asset to these forums, and your willingness to share your knowledge is much appreciated. Not to sound selfish, but I sure hope you keep it up.

Now back to topic. The sound sets are great. Rapture is nice and dark, and seem to have a lot of potential for mayhem. The DimPro set is excellent as well, but focus more on actual instrument sounds. All sound great. Has anyone else had any problems with some of the Rapture patches spiking extremley high usage. A few I reviewed would spike up over 70% with only one instance of Rapture open in a new project playing multiple notes on the same patch. I only experienced this on a few of the patches, the rest had no noticable difference.

Nice work Cake. Looking forward to what else we see down the road.
    whitefalcon
    RE: Dimension Piano Expansion Pack Reviews? 2007/06/30 00:58:55 (permalink)
    I don't think the audio demos do this expansion justice and, in fact, I was considering throwing together a short demo of maybe 4 or 5 patches from each category, but I wasn't sure how CW would feel about that (and I got too tired).

That would be great if you could do that. I didnt get it because I did not think the demos did more then I already can with Vanguard, Zebra and my Z3Ta etc.
    whitefalcon
    RE: Dimension Piano Expansion Pack Reviews? 2007/06/30 01:02:34 (permalink)
    I need a little assistance from someone who has downloaded these files before. There are two files on the download screen - one is a DMG extension and the other is a EXE extension. Do I need both? What is the DMG file? Does it matter where I download them to, or just where I run the install (assuming that must be the EXE file). Any help is appriciated.

dmg is Mac
    whitefalcon
    RE: Dimension Piano Expansion Pack Reviews? 2007/06/30 01:05:03 (permalink)
    I installed using the EXE. The DMG must be a Mac thing or whatever, so I skipped it. Anywho, I like the expansion pack. The pianos are nice. Some of the Orchestral combos are really beautiful. Does anyone know what the 'KU' on the piano names stands for?

KU stands for Kick ^&** but they couldnt say that so they called it Kick U Piano.

I like the piano strings. Some nice Chior stuff in this one, nice brass sounds to...
    Some cool organ sounds to. Rounds out the banks I currently have...

Love all the pianos to. But you all know that of this release.
    cryophonik
    Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: Dimension Piano Expansion Pack Reviews? 2007/06/30 12:24:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: whitefalcon

That would be great if you could do that. I didnt get it because I did not think the demos did more then I already can with Vanguard, Zebra and my Z3Ta etc.

Since you asked nicely:

Rapture Biolabs Expansion Demo (~5MB)

It's just a bunch of samples (4 patches from each category) that I threw together while eating breakfast (granola and coffee, in case you're wondering). No extra effects were used, but I did throw in some pitch and mod wheel here and there.

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
    Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

René
    RE: Dimension Piano Expansion Pack Reviews? 2007/06/30 16:03:55 (permalink)
    Cool track cryophonic. I also created a quick track using bio sounds:

bioTrack

I don't know what genre that'd be. Possible "bizarre music".
    post edited by René - 2007/06/30 16:09:23
    Nick P
    RE: Dimension Piano Expansion Pack Reviews? 2007/06/30 17:13:18 (permalink)
    You know, I was about to make a standard comment that these type of sounds are so common in so many synths almost to make them nothing more than white noise, no matter how good the programming is. But then I stopped to consider again how good Rapture sounds overall. It's just a great sounding synth. Completely devoid of harshness, but not overly "creamy" either. Right in the middle. So these "evolving texture" type sounds, so prevalent in so many synths (even dating back to the late 1980s and all through the 1990s, hardware and software), do have a certain pleasant flavor when rendered in Rapture.

I guess it's the "I can write a film cue simply by holding down a chord on one of these complex evolving sounds - I don't have to know anything about composing melodies, arranging harmony, or creating counterpoint or orchestration within my compositions, I just hold down this chord and the money rolls in" attitude that I hear in so many bad soundtracks, especially in today's bloated "reality" television market that makes me suspect of the "evolving texture" genre of synth sounds in general. Of course that's just my personal bias. When used by gifted musicians who have also put in the hard work to their craft, they can be combined with more traditional elements of composition to create new electronic/traditional hybrids that can be quite satisfying. So once again, it's the musical skills, not the tools, which play a much larger factor in a piece of music being of a high quality.

So the Rapture set aside, I would really like to hear some demos of the different categories of Dimension sets from the Digital Sound Factory. Obviously the acoustic pianos will be of top quality, but what about the orchestral instrument additions? What are they, and how do they sound (I've seen the screenshots of the browser, I'm asking for more detail than that). And what about the new Rhodes, etc...

Finally, it's kind of strange and cool at the same time that synth sounds cross over between the siblings (DimPro and Rapture). Either one has the powerful RGC Expression Engine, capable of very high-quality synth sounds. I guess the choice of which to use would be based on how much modulation you want to do, and how much overhead you want to invoke in calling up either one (I think Rapture is more CPU friendly, but I may be mistaken).
    post edited by Nick P - 2007/06/30 17:21:00

MurderDethKill
    • Total Posts : 1904
    RE: Dimension Piano Expansion Pack Reviews? 2007/07/01 02:14:29 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Nick P

You know, I was about to make a standard comment that these type of sounds are so common in so many synths almost to make them nothing more than white noise, no matter how good the programming is. But then I stopped to consider again how good Rapture sounds overall. It's just a great sounding synth. Completely devoid of harshness, but not overly "creamy" either. Right in the middle. So these "evolving texture" type sounds, so prevalent in so many synths (even dating back to the late 1980s and all through the 1990s, hardware and software), do have a certain pleasant flavor when rendered in Rapture.
    I guess it's the "I can write a film cue simply by holding down a chord on one of these complex evolving sounds - I don't have to know anything about composing melodies, arranging harmony, or creating counterpoint or orchestration within my compositions, I just hold down this chord and the money rolls in" attitude that I hear in so many bad soundtracks, especially in today's bloated "reality" television market that makes me suspect of the "evolving texture" genre of synth sounds in general. Of course that's just my personal bias. When used by gifted musicians who have also put in the hard work to their craft, they can be combined with more traditional elements of composition to create new electronic/traditional hybrids that can be quite satisfying. So once again, it's the musical skills, not the tools, which play a much larger factor in a piece of music being of a high quality.

So the Rapture set aside, I would really like to hear some demos of the different categories of Dimension sets from the Digital Sound Factory. Obviously the acoustic pianos will be of top quality, but what about the orchestral instrument additions? What are they, and how do they sound (I've seen the screenshots of the browser, I'm asking for more detail than that). And what about the new Rhodes, etc...

Finally, it's kind of strange and cool at the same time that synth sounds cross over between the siblings (DimPro and Rapture). Either one has the powerful RGC Expression Engine, capable of very high-quality synth sounds. I guess the choice of which to use would be based on how much modulation you want to do, and how much overhead you want to invoke in calling up either one (I think Rapture is more CPU friendly, but I may be mistaken).

Are you sure you don't work for Cakewalk?

Some of us are begining to have our doubts...

I smell a konspiracy....

edit: spelling & general mayhem
    post edited by MurderDethKill - 2007/07/01 02:21:57

My site i guess;)
    Monstruousubergeekyhardcorefunkytrancepolkaoptimism Lives!!!
    Nick P
    RE: Dimension Piano Expansion Pack Reviews? 2007/07/01 03:05:50 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: MurderDethKill

Are you sure you don't work for Cakewalk?

. No, but definitely a huge fan of the company and their stuff.

René
    RE: Dimension Piano Expansion Pack Reviews? 2007/07/01 10:05:12 (permalink)
    I smell a konspiracy....

Even when our company has been out longer, with the same name, and with more k's on it, I deny we'll use 'konspiracy' as a product name.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1