Dimension Pro 1.2 and Scala - Transposing

Author
amcmechan
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 26
2006/04/22 09:10:01 (permalink)

Dimension Pro 1.2 and Scala - Transposing

I'm not sure if a) I do this in Scala; b) in Dimension Pro; or c) I'm overthinking it and it's a lot simpler than I'm making it.....

For the SCALA crowd: I've created a fun little scale based on the harmonic overtone series, nos. 8-32, normalized, so that it's become a 16 key "octave." Fabulous harmonic relationships, b/c as you reach partials 17-32 you start to deviate wildly from the expected western scale relationships, yet once your ears attune to the sound, it makes perfect sense....

But here's my question. When I create the scale in SCALA, save it over to my DimPro/Tunings file and then load it into an element, I seem to be locked into the harmonic series based on Middle C. But my piece is in, let's say, the key of A, so I really want to explore the harmonics of A, a minor third down from C. And to get really neat relationships, let's say I want to set up another instrument where the harmonics are based on D.....

But I'm stumped on how to do this. In Scala, there's a function called Modify/Key, where it allows me adjust scale degrees, but I'm not quite sure what that does....and the help function associated with it doesn't seem to match perfectly. Or, I can use SET FREQUENCY and reset the base freq to 220 and save the scale under a different name, but that seems more like a work around than the right solution. In DimPro, when I use transpose, it only transposes the MIDI notekey within the context of the existing scale. It doesn't reset the harmonic base.

So, I know there are some very smart SCALA types here, I've read the posts and B Rock was very helpful with yesterday's stupid question...

I probably overwrote this question, but I wanted to make sure I had full disclosure of my own bumbling attempts at finding the answer.

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

7 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Dimension Pro 1.2 and Scala - Transposing 2006/04/22 20:03:48 (permalink)
    I'm way away from my setup right now, but I'm thinking transposing in DP/RP's Multisample editor would be the quickest. You don't really want to change that base frequency reference in Scala. There's another way (several), but I'll have to give you the details when I get back.

Check out the Keytrack adjustment in the same spot. It's like a master modifier over & above the loaded Scala file. It won't help with what you want to do, but it might be cool enough to tide you over for a while.
    René
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Dimension Pro 1.2 and Scala - Transposing 2006/04/22 20:17:19 (permalink)
    b is correct. Just use the 'Transpose' function in Dimension Pro main display to set the center of your scale wherever you need.

-René
    amcmechan
    RE: Dimension Pro 1.2 and Scala - Transposing 2006/04/22 21:13:46 (permalink)
    Unfortunately, using Transpose in the multisample area doesn't work if you have a scale that is (per scala) not normalized. In other words, it doesn't actually transpose the tonic or base partial of a harmonic series, it simply moves you X number of steps up or down within the partial list.

And while Keytrack is fun, it isnt' getting me the result I need - I have a piece that is pretty resolutely set in D. i'm trying to add some timbral effects that build off the harmonic series, most particularly the 8-32 partials, which cover the 4th and 5th octaves over the base harmonic. The 5th is especially where the fun stuff happens, because the partials start to break down past the standard Western intervals. So, I have 2 "octaves" that are different lengths as I go up. The 4th octave goes from the base note (C) to step 8 (G#). The 5th octave starts at G3 and goes up to the C after the next - so 1st octave is 8 steps, second octave is 16 steps.

That's why I was doing a workaround in Scala to change the base freq. When you choose "new scale" you select "Harmonic." Then you put in the steps - 1st harm = 8, last harm = 32, step=1, DON't choose "normalize." Then open the tonality diamond, and choose "properties." From there, go to "change base freq" and a window opens up to move the MIDI note number up or down, which will move the Hz freq accordingly. Apply, close, close and save, and voila, the Harm scale is in D, or Ab, or whatever. It doesn't reset the "true" base freq for SCALA, it just sets it for the scale itself.

Just seems to me that's a workaround, but I'm baffled as to how to make it work normally.

Thanks.

Andrew
    René
    RE: Dimension Pro 1.2 and Scala - Transposing 2006/04/23 00:23:35 (permalink)
    Unfortunately, using Transpose in the multisample area doesn't work if you have a scale that is (per scala) not normalized. In other words, it doesn't actually transpose the tonic or base partial of a harmonic series, it simply moves you X number of steps up or down within the partial list.

Transpose actually sets the center for the Scala. If you transpose down one semitone, then the center of your scala file moves from C to B. If you transpose two semitones, it moves from B to A. The rest of the scala remains unchanged, provided that you keep the transposition on the new tonality.

If an interval which is not a multiple of semitones (100 cents) is required, you can use a combination of tune and transpose.

-René
    René
    RE: Dimension Pro 1.2 and Scala - Transposing 2006/04/23 00:38:29 (permalink)
    Here's a mp3 snippet which I created using 05-19.scl. I played CDEF in the keyboard four times, and changed transpose from 0 to -1, -2, and -3 using the multisample transpose widget.

http://www.rgcstuff.com/External/ScalaTranspose.mp3

The Scala base tone (the center of the harmonic series) is shifted down one semitone in each stage. This allows you to play a song in any key, using the desired Scala file and preserving the tuning relationships from a sound point of view.

<edit>: it is important to mention that Rapture and Dimension Pro behave differently here. Dimension Pro will allow both, to transpose the keyboard map and the tuning map, using Transpose and Shift respectively. Rapture will only allow to shift the tuning map. It is possible to workaround Rapture to shift the keyboard map by using the transpose widget in your host.

-René
    post edited by René - 2006/04/23 00:57:53
    amcmechan
    RE: Dimension Pro 1.2 and Scala - Transposing 2006/04/24 16:33:10 (permalink)
    thanks - I got sucked away from music (it's that paying job thing, keeps coming up every Monday), but I'll look at tonight. Part of it is I may have outsmarted myself by creating my own harmonic scales, rather than relying on the 3000+ that already exist. I'm sure that the existing scales will all transpose the way you outline.

Out of curiosity, if you don't mind me asking, what 'kind' of music do you write that you use alternative tunings? Not so long ago, microtuning was the exclusive domain of the avant-garde classical types (my background), but with access through Scala and synths growing so quickly, it seems that it is finally cutting across all different kinds of music. Harry Partch would be so happy!

Andrew
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Dimension Pro 1.2 and Scala - Transposing 2006/04/24 19:57:42 (permalink)
    Just seems to me that's a workaround, but I'm baffled as to how to make it work normally.
    Untested, but have you tried Modify/Shift Linear? I'm thinking that some of the Move command line options will get you where you want to go. More later.
    I may have outsmarted myself by creating my own harmonic scales, rather than relying on the 3000+ that already exist.
    I used to think this too, Andrew. I mean, with all those pre-constructed scales, why do I need the Scala application? I just must be missing what I need. Surely, it's been created already.

Not so. Your whole mind-set changes when you approach Scala as another very powerful tool. Not one that's just 'limited' to microtuning, but one that (in effect) becomes your gateway to keyboard modulation. That's no longer a fixed set of given rules; you can 'break' those any way that you can dream up. Macros, re-arrangements and reverses, selective detuning; scales that only deviate in narrow ranges from Element to Element. Wide-open options.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1