Dimension Pro 1.5 x64 standalone-Questions, problems

Author
mbunkerusa
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 63
2011/03/10 17:24:54 (permalink)

Dimension Pro 1.5 x64 standalone-Questions, problems

Upon installing Sonar X1 64 bit, I got the newer Dimension Pro 1.5.  I Have experienced the following on a Windows 7 x64 laptop (with latest Windows maintenance) when using the stand-alone version of the program with an ASIO audio scheme:

I Am using LoopBe30 MIDI pipes to connect to two instances of Dim Pro, each connected to a different MIDI pipe, as set up in each Dimension's interface.  I have set the audio output connection to my Echo Indigo IOx mixer input pair 1, 2 for the first instance.  When I open the second Dimension instance, I can set the MIDI in to another pipe, but the output option will not open.  After attempting to play both Dim Pro instances, my C: drive usage goes up to max and my PC becomes useless.  The only way out is to schedule chkdsk /f at boot-up, because if I shut down Win 7 x64 and restart, the disk thrashing will continue, making the laptop extremely slow and quite useless.  Chkdsk does solve the problem and there is no damage to the disk file system.

I have had this happen to me four times and the only common denominator seems to be using two Dim Pro instances and trying to play them both via MIDI software pipes.  It takes several hours to run chkdsk, so I'm going to say "Lesson Learned" and steer away from the stand-alone version until more is known.  Too bad though, Dimension could replace most of my other synths with its great and wonderful sounds.  Bummer man.

Note that I chose to install the Dim Pro libraries to the D: drive for space and speed considerations.  A single instance seems to work well, but the user's guide doesn't cover basic usage very well.  There don't seem to be any details about using the stand-alone version at all.  Internals, however, are covered in painstaking detail.
-Mike

Charles (Mike) Bunker, mbunkerusa@earthlink.net, Clearwater, FL
Sonar Platinum, Roland Integra-7, Overture 5. HP laptop 4 cores, Windows 10-64 bit, 8 GB memory, lotsa disk.

1 Reply Related Threads

mbunkerusa
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 63
    Re:Dimension Pro 1.5 x64 standalone-Questions, problems 2011/03/10 17:29:31 (permalink)
    I forgot to note that the three free Dimension Pro sound packs link leads to a site that pretends to let you download the Zip file, but no bytes are received.  Do I even need this with the Sonar X1 install?
    -Mike

Charles (Mike) Bunker, mbunkerusa@earthlink.net, Clearwater, FL
    Sonar Platinum, Roland Integra-7, Overture 5. HP laptop 4 cores, Windows 10-64 bit, 8 GB memory, lotsa disk.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1