Dimension Pro Electric Pianos

Author
poonna
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10
2006/05/21 06:57:48 (permalink)

Dimension Pro Electric Pianos

Hi everyone,

I'm seriously considering buying DimPro after hearing the demos and some posted MP3 clips in this forum. However, as I'm one of those electric pianos lovers, good Rhodes and Wurly sounds are ones of those things I really look for. So, for you the DimPro users out there, how would you rate DimPro Rhodes and Wurly against other emulations out there (Scarbee, Lounge Lizard 3, Elektrik Piano, etc.)? I'd love to hear your opinions especially in extreme playing situation, like how it barks when hit really hard, and how it transitions from beautiful, bell-like tone, to the hard edges. I'm especially interested in Wurly sound. :) Thank you very much in advance.

Best,
Poonna

15 Replies Related Threads

lfm
    Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2216
    RE: Dimension Pro Electric Pianos 2006/05/21 08:14:16 (permalink)
    I don't know if I would get DP for the electric pianos. Rhodes definately not, but the Wurly is ok(4 very similar that more or less sound like EQ is different). The rhodes show just about no response at all, just two characters more or less.

The hardware modeled emulations of MrRay(2.2 or 73) and MrTramp is much, much better response, in my opinion. It's free to use as well, but I will donate some to this guy. Really nice stuff. www.soundfonts.it is the url.

And the emulated ones have a lot of settings to vary the sound and response more to taste. The sampled ones are pretty much what the creator of samples likes.

But there are a lot of other reasons to get DP of course.
    Rick McNab
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1047
    RE: Dimension Pro Electric Pianos 2006/05/22 04:15:22 (permalink)
    I heard DP at a Cakewalk clinic last week. Not impressed with the Rhodes. Seems like that's a hard instrument to do right. Maybe even harder than acoustic piano.
    René
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Dimension Pro Electric Pianos 2006/05/22 10:30:26 (permalink)
    Well, that's basically because a "right" sound just doesn't exist. Sound quality is just a subjective perception, which is always compared with the pre-cooked idea of what is something which "sounds right" in our head. In the acoustic piano thread, you will see that many users sometimes prefer a more synthetic, looped, compressed piano to one which really sounds like a real piano. The same applies to any sound, sometimes unreal is good.

The MrRays are great, no doubt. However, they won't do it for me. They are good and warm in the hard registers, but the tines are just not there, as they are not in any of the modelled pianos. Samples are static and to recreate them perfectly you'd need a huge set, but still the way to go for the best ep's imho. Here's a snippet I played, rendered in both MrRays and DP piano.

http://www.rgcstuff.com/External/EP-DP.wav
    http://www.rgcstuff.com/External/EP-MrRay22.wav
    http://www.rgcstuff.com/External/EP-MrRay73.wav

I really find DP ep's to be much more responsive to playback, specially if you use a heavy/mid action controller. Still, the rays are a great achievement for not using samples.

-René

lawapa
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: Dimension Pro Electric Pianos 2006/05/22 20:55:46 (permalink)
    I still have my Rhodes 88. And well, I was never fond of the ham handed goose fart sound you get when you pound the keys to one. But to each his own ;)+) That Rhodes is all I've got left from my keyboard Days. The moog and Arp are long gone. But hey I started as a guit picker and I'll end on that note. I still do prefer the fm epiano sumulation. In all it variants over the real thing. FM was made to do ep's.
    poonna
    RE: Dimension Pro Electric Pianos 2006/05/22 21:26:42 (permalink)
    Thank you everybody for your opinions. I agree that it's a matter of taste. I've tried MrRay and MrTramp and got a mixed feeling. It's great, but it's lacking something. I kinda like MrRay73, but, as Rene said, I wish it had more tines to it. I think I could use it in a context, though. From the samples here, I think DP Rhodes also sounds beautiful, but it just doesn't have the edge (the bite) it needs for some styles. Perhaps it has if played a bit harder, I don't know. :)

MrTramp, in my opinion, sounds far and away from real Wurly (or whatever a Wurly sounds to me), and I wish this is what DP could come at least as a fine alternative.

But rest assured, I would not buy DP just for the electric pianos. ;)
    lawapa
    RE: Dimension Pro Electric Pianos 2006/05/22 23:55:23 (permalink)
    BITE; all ep's sound depends on the amp you run it through. It is electric right? Because of this you could reamp the sound. get some cone and tube warmth going. That bite is more subtle distortion than anything. If your new to reamping just do a track, play it back through a keyboard amp, mic it up and rerecord the sound. Why? Because that's what made the sound right in the first place. Just a tad more drive than was needed to cut through the sax and bass. Dpro does have a tube drive
    ;)+). It is there, and all you need do is turn it on. Instant goose farts.
    Rick McNab
    RE: Dimension Pro Electric Pianos 2006/05/24 07:46:19 (permalink)
    Rene - I could have chosen a better term than "right". Certainly you and your team are expert at sampling and delivering high-quality sounds in your instruments. Let me just say that for me, as someone who spent many years on gigs w/ a real Rhodes, the DimPro Rhodes just doesn't do it for me.

However, BTW, I did purchase Rapture at the clinic. And I will most likely purchase DimPro when the full Garritan Personal Orchestra is ready for it. I like the idea of a common user interface, and even though it probably doesn't matter, I like "keeping it all in the family" i.e. using a Cakewalk host and Cakewalk synths. At least for now!
    René
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Dimension Pro Electric Pianos 2006/05/24 09:36:49 (permalink)
    Rene - I could have chosen a better term than "right". Certainly you and your team are expert at sampling and delivering high-quality sounds in your instruments. Let me just say that for me, as someone who spent many years on gigs w/ a real Rhodes, the DimPro Rhodes just doesn't do it for me.

Thanks for your kind words.

I do personally love the Rhodes in DP, I select it all the time over Scarbee and other >1GB Rhodes libs I own. I even pick it for real studio work instead of the real Rhodes when I do not need MIDI, but I do understand that picking an EP sound is like picking a tie. Extremely personal. Almost like guitars.

In the making of such an instrument like Dimension Pro, which is very 'Broad Spectrum', we wish we could deliver a piano, electric piano, strings, brass, sax, vocals, drums, grooves, atmospheras, pads, leads, electric and acoustic basses, woodwinds, ethnic instruments, orchestral and world percussion, organs, guitars, combis, splits and layers which would suit everyone, in every sound, for every music style. That IS our dream.

However, being realistic, that is just impossible. We do know that DP offers "something for everyone" (or "a lot for everyone") and not "everything for everyone". We'll get close to the dream, with time. In the meantime, we deliver a huge bunch of killer sounds

-René
    Rick McNab
    RE: Dimension Pro Electric Pianos 2006/05/24 19:51:30 (permalink)
    I have two dreams for the Cakewalk synth/sequencer line, one long-term, one short-term.

Short-term: That someone would publish a complete tutorial, start to finish, soup to nuts, on Rapture. Written for the beginner to the advanced. With plenty of test projects, i.e. sounds to create, and much on step generation and modulation routings. A similar product would be the "Missing Manual" series written for various computer applications and published by O'Reilly.

Long-term: That Rapture and DimPro would evolve, possibly augmented by a similar drum-centric app, to be a complete production environment for modern dance, film-score mock-up, etc. This would be along with the evolution of Sonar and P5, which next version should move pattern-based composition even further into the mainstream (back into the mainstream!). Now that's not to say that Rapture and DimPro are not almost there in their current state. Just that they keep evolving. More patches for Rapture, the Garritan Personal Orchestra promise realized for DimPro. Those two evolutions would go a long way towards the complete production environment I mention. All within the Cake universe, and all using the same interface (GUI of DimPro and Rapture being very similar).

All of that being said, Cake has it going on in my book. These instruments are amazing!
    post edited by Rick McNab - 2006/05/24 20:02:47
    lawapa
    RE: Dimension Pro Electric Pianos 2006/05/24 20:21:13 (permalink)
    I'd like a tutorial but I'm not waitin. I just jumped in and started makin mayhem. And well I admit I'm probably heading in the wrong direction, I do seem to be makin some headway. I do like what I hear

Rick that long term sounds good. You know it's got to happen. Sooner or later, to many have asked for it. And why would they not?
    Kelsin
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 113
    RE: Dimension Pro Electric Pianos 2006/05/24 20:58:22 (permalink)

Long-term: That Rapture and DimPro would evolve, possibly augmented by a similar drum-centric app, to be a complete production environment for modern dance, film-score mock-up, etc. This would be along with the evolution of Sonar and P5, which next version should move pattern-based composition even further into the mainstream (back into the mainstream!). Now that's not to say that Rapture and DimPro are not almost there in their current state. Just that they keep evolving. More patches for Rapture, the Garritan Personal Orchestra promise realized for DimPro. Those two evolutions would go a long way towards the complete production environment I mention. All within the Cake universe, and all using the same interface (GUI of DimPro and Rapture being very similar).

I would LOVE the next instrument to be a GREAT drum centered one. I don't know what I would want exactly but something combining velocity with redrum with bfd etc.... just a great all around drum synth the way Dim and Rapture are for what they represent :)
    kellog
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: Dimension Pro Electric Pianos 2006/05/27 02:40:51 (permalink)
    I like the e-pianos in Tassman best so far. I like the clear tine tick and resonance of their sounds. New Lounge Lizard Session is out now - http://www.applied-acoustics.com/loungelizardsession.htm The Wurly in Dimension just isn't anywhere near the quality of sound of Tassman for me.

I like Dimension too. I like the layout, tube drive, and many sounds, and the regular pianos sound great to me - I just don't use them much. I kept getting static from Dimension pianos, but still can't figure out why. I've had other things to invest in, but this new LL Session will be my next buy.

Best to all,

kellog
    poonna
    RE: Dimension Pro Electric Pianos 2006/05/28 05:48:19 (permalink)
    Great news!!! I love that concept of LL Session. :)
    lfm
    Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2216
    RE: Dimension Pro Electric Pianos 2006/05/28 07:44:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Kelsin
    I would LOVE the next instrument to be a GREAT drum centered one. I don't know what I would want exactly but something combining velocity with redrum with bfd etc.... just a great all around drum synth the way Dim and Rapture are for what they represent :)

I do not think DP is fit to do drums because you don't have multiple ouputs. So it's pretty useless for that I think. If to go deeper into drums I feel that multiple outputs is a must to be able to treat different part of drumkit separately as needed.

There are so many specialized plugins for drums I think and DP can never compete with these anyway.

The strength of DP in my way of seeing it is to playback a variety of sound and to fix zillions of presets based on those to get other characteristics out of them. The combination of effects and tweaking is really interesting.
    Kelsin
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 113
    RE: Dimension Pro Electric Pianos 2006/05/28 13:11:10 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: lfm

ORIGINAL: Kelsin

I do not think DP is fit to do drums because you don't have multiple ouputs. So it's pretty useless for that I think. If to go deeper into drums I feel that multiple outputs is a must to be able to treat different part of drumkit separately as needed.

There are so many specialized plugins for drums I think and DP can never compete with these anyway.

The strength of DP in my way of seeing it is to playback a variety of sound and to fix zillions of presets based on those to get other characteristics out of them. The combination of effects and tweaking is really interesting.

We were having a slightly OT conversation, I wasn't saying DP is great for drums, I was hoping that the next instrument Cakewalk makes (after Dimension and Rapture) was a Drum centric one.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1