Dimension Pro: Feature Request - Trigger Delay

Author
uche_eke
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 69
2010/04/19 13:59:32 (permalink)

Dimension Pro: Feature Request - Trigger Delay

Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased the SWA dimension pro video, which is a great intro to Dimension, especially for beginners. 

One thing I noticed after watching was the absence of trigger delays. There may be  times when you wish to delay the triggering of a particular element within a composite sound (e.g. I might want a cymbal/bell to strike say 50-100 ms after the initial key press.) 

Have I missed something? Is there a right click menu that allows for this?

You can simulate a delay of sorts with the EG's by simply adding a node after the attack stage node, dragging that to the time you wish and then creating a new "attack" stage with the EG, but some/most of the waveform's transient information is lost since the wave is still triggered at keypress.  For percussive sounds, this is the most important bit! 

If there is no real workaround for this (bar physically taking the waveform into a wave editor and manually adding the delay :( ) could it be included in the next update to Dimension Pro?

Thanks
Uche :) 

Registered User (and apparent beta tester) of Sonar X2 Producer
Focusrite TrackMaster Pro,
Access Virus C, Novation Supernova II, Roland XP30 & XV3080, Yamaha EX5R, NI KOMPLETE 7
HP Pavillion Laptop Quad Core 3Ghz with 6Gb Ram

5 Replies Related Threads

uche_eke
    Re:Dimension Pro: Feature Request - Trigger Delay 2010/04/19 14:54:19 (permalink)
    PS - While we're talking about feature additions how about the following

1.  Audio preview button or (automatic preview akin to Velocity) for the waveforms in the "Load Multisample" Dialog Box
    2. Category classification and search function for programs: The library becomes quite unwieldy to navigate. How about an instrument definition file (remember those!) for Dimension with category search index terms e.g [Str] for strings [Pad] for pads etc

Thanks again! 

Access Virus C, Novation Supernova II, Roland XP30 & XV3080, Yamaha EX5R, NI KOMPLETE 7
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Dimension Pro: Feature Request - Trigger Delay 2010/04/19 16:48:13 (permalink)
    worthy ideas, but I doubt Cakewalk is doing much more work on DimPro.  SFZ, yes (see beatscape), but I expect something new for their paying bass, building upon DP and Rapture.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    uche_eke
    Re:Dimension Pro: Feature Request - Trigger Delay 2010/04/19 19:42:22 (permalink)
    Thanks AT :) 

Hopefully whatever they come up with as a replacement/upgrade to DP will include the instrument definition file format at least. It seems like a waste of functionality not being able to use all the basic MIDI track functions for instrument tracks wherever possible. 

I'm also wondering why their step sequencer isn't like the fantastic drum sequencer they had in Project 5, which was far more user friendly than what they have on offer in Sonar 8.5's SS, despite the new 2.0 upgrade!! :(  

I guess it was worth a shot at grabbing their attention :)

dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re:Dimension Pro: Feature Request - Trigger Delay 2010/04/20 18:48:19 (permalink)
    uche_eke

One thing I noticed after watching was the absence of trigger delays. There may be  times when you wish to delay the triggering of a particular element within a composite sound (e.g. I might want a cymbal/bell to strike say 50-100 ms after the initial key press.) 
    Disclaimer: I'm fairly up to speed on Rapture, but have done very little with DP.  That said, a quick look at the doc suggests that you can use a simple stereo delay on the element you want delayed.  Set the desired delay time, set it to 100% wet, and I think it'll give you the result you're after.

If that doesn't work, another possibility is a custom sfz file using the delay parameter.  But just because delay is in the sfz spec, it doesn't guarantee that DP will support that parameter.  Not all sfz parameters are supported by DP and Rapture, and there's no list documenting what is there vs what's not.

uche_eke
    Re:Dimension Pro: Feature Request - Trigger Delay 2011/01/17 19:32:51 (permalink)
    dmbaer

uche_eke

Disclaimer: I'm fairly up to speed on Rapture, but have done very little with DP.  That said, a quick look at the doc suggests that you can use a simple stereo delay on the element you want delayed.  Set the desired delay time, set it to 100% wet, and I think it'll give you the result you're after.

If that doesn't work, another possibility is a custom sfz file using the delay parameter.  But just because delay is in the sfz spec, it doesn't guarantee that DP will support that parameter.  Not all sfz parameters are supported by DP and Rapture, and there's no list documenting what is there vs what's not.
    Thanks (well overdue!!) for your comments. I don't know how I missed them for so long!! :) What you suggest makes sense as a workaround. I'll give both options a try :) 

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1