Dimension Pro - I'm a believer!

Author
mlc
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 123
2006/02/08 11:04:25 (permalink)

Dimension Pro - I'm a believer!

I just got DMPro and was playing with it last night. I am really impressed with quality of the samples, especially strings, saxes, trumpets, and the entire Garritan pocket orchestra. The percussion and ethnic instruments are wonderful.
I found minor flaws in some of the samples, sounded like loop artefacts. Also, some of the wind instruments don't sustain notes very long. But, I'm sure this can be tweaked.

The MIDI matrix is a genius idea, I love it! You can control multiple parameters with a single CC or the other way around.

I have a lot to learn with this synth.

One thing I notice is that the Garritan instruments don't have any CC asigned to control articulations or expression like GPO has. Are there any suggestion for CC asignments for more expression control?

B rock or anyone else, any tips?

Sonar X3 64 bit - Windows 7 64-bit
RME Fireface UC
i7 2600K 3.4 GHz 16 GB RAM

6 Replies Related Threads

René
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Dimension Pro - I'm a believer! 2006/02/08 12:44:41 (permalink)
    Dimension Pro uses the standard MIDI Expression control (CC11). Those instruments in GPO which make 'special' use of CC1 are still assigned to CC1 (like percussion rolls).

-René
    mlc
    RE: Dimension Pro - I'm a believer! 2006/02/08 13:58:14 (permalink)
    Thanks Rene,

I'm getting an expression/volume pedal for my keyboard, so that will help. I have very minimal experience with editing parameters in soft synths, and this one seems quite complex, but in a good way!
    By the way Rene, nice job with Dimension Pro, I love it!

RME Fireface UC
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Dimension Pro - I'm a believer! 2006/02/09 10:36:33 (permalink)
    Are there any suggestion for CC asignments for more expression control? B rock or anyone else, any tips?
    Here's my tip for expression pedals, Mic. When you suddenly have an unexplained dropout in any synth, check the floor first to make sure that the expression pedal isn't inadvertantly rocked back. I've got pedals on every controller, and it gets me everytime.

You've got a Remote25, don't you, Mic? That and Dimension Pro join for a marriage made in heaven. if you take any template in the Remote, and start assigning random parameters in DP, you're bound to discover something useful. It's going to be even easier with the upcoming 1.1 update (which features MIDI learn). To start, I'd recommend taking a single Source in the MIDI Matrix, at full Depth, and start to scroll through the active destinations. If the Destination value is highlighted, you can change up quickly by using your mouse wheel.

But this is just a starter tip, Mic. I believe that you're much further along than this. If you haven't already, take a look at my little Morphing tutorial here. I want to do more, but I didn't get much feedback on this one. So, I'm stuck as to where this ended up on the Usability Scale. Too complcated, or too simple?
    mlc
    RE: Dimension Pro - I'm a believer! 2006/02/09 11:59:13 (permalink)
    Thanks B rock! I have the Remote49, same thing but more keys...

I read your tutorial before but I haven't tried it, I think is very useful to post stuff like that. I'll give it a try tonight.

I hope DMpro gets more popular so that we start to see libraries from third parties. There's not much talk about it except for the Cakewalk forums. But I think is an excellent synth with a lot of flexibility and potential.

As I said before, I like the sounds a lot, but there are a few glitches and artefacts, a few examples include the solo violin (garritan) some of the higher notes have a background noise that loops. Also some notes in the saxes make noises when using aftertouch (default settings). But I think most of those are minor problems.

The thing that I want to figure out is how to extend the duration of a note, for example, the saxes if you hold the key down you get a sustained note that lasts a few seconds, don't know how long, but I think is too short. Most horn players can blow a note for longer than that.
    I read in the manual something about setting loop points with "L", but I cannot figure out how to do it. I'll keep trying, but if you can help me with that I'll appreciate it.

Mike

RME Fireface UC
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Dimension Pro - I'm a believer! 2006/02/09 12:18:05 (permalink)
    Hey, Mike: There's a very long thread in the Project5 forum that ended up being a tutorial of sorts on the EGs in Dimension. If you can manage to weed through the personalized responses, I think that you'll end up with a greater understanding of what goes on in the Sustain/Loop Point setup in Dimension. Find that thread [here]. Also be sure to check out the Project5 Wiki for a collection of Rene's excellent DimensionalTip series. Get it at the source.

If things are still unclear to you at that point, I'd be more than glad to answer the specifics. Drop another line, and I'll catch it. HTH
    mlc
    RE: Dimension Pro - I'm a believer! 2006/02/09 12:37:30 (permalink)
    Thanks again B rock,

I didn't know about the "Dimensional Tips". I'll print that and the thread, that should get me started!

Mike

RME Fireface UC
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1