Dimension Pro + OSX Leopard

Author
dazzer
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2008/09/01 00:20:28 (permalink)

Dimension Pro + OSX Leopard

Hi all. I'm thinking of buying Dimension Pro. From searching around, it seems people had problems with DP and Leopard at the beginning.

How do they work together now? Any good/bad experiences? FWIW, I use Ableton as my DAW.

Cheers

7 Replies Related Threads

Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Dimension Pro + OSX Leopard 2008/09/03 05:48:44 (permalink)
    since no one posted..

yep in the past there were issues, but I think they were resolved/solved. I only can tell from the amount of posts I see here a lot.. if there were issues with it they'd be a load of recent threads on here about it with a lot of entries on, if that makes sense.

I use DP on a pc though, it works in my other DAW without issue.

As long as you get all the updates also before installing , I'm sure you'll be ok

http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/kb/kb20080131.asp

dazzer
    RE: Dimension Pro + OSX Leopard 2008/09/03 10:22:02 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, it makes sense what you say, no posts should equal no problems. Although what worries me is that it could also mean no Mac users for DP and therefore a product that might not get much future Mac love from Cakewalk.

I can't find a demo for it anywhere either.
    Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Dimension Pro + OSX Leopard 2008/09/03 12:59:28 (permalink)
    daz, there are a few posts in the past .. BUT the posts didn't posts after, so I can only figure issues were resolved

"The Dimension Pro 1.3 Update provides compatibility with Mac OS X Leopard (10.5) " , I've read elswhere. you can hear the demo sounds, but I don't think there's a demo/trial version.

http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/DimensionPro/default.asp

quite old, and the quality isn't excellent but

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWTbWFQnLZY

post edited by Fog - 2008/09/03 13:01:33
    inmazevo
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3276
    RE: Dimension Pro + OSX Leopard 2008/09/03 13:49:14 (permalink)
    Hi dazzer.
    Sorry not to reply sooner...

I use Dim Pro on Leopard in Logic Pro 8 and Live 6/7 and it works fine once patched to 1.3.

The big problem with the 1.3 patch seems to stem (in some cases) from people starting with the wrong one of the two patches, both called 1.3:
    - One updates a current Dim Pro installation to 1.3, and assumes that you got there either by upgrading your OS to Leopard, or by using the migration assistant to populate a clean Leopard install with your old system's files. In this case, you have the samples, and the plugin, and just need the plugin updated to 1.3. It won't ask for sample disks, since it things they're already there.
    - The other assumes a clean install with NO pre-existing Dim Pro installation. This one is actually the plugin installer, which will then ask for your data disks for the samples.

This scheme led to quite a few people who's symptoms suggested (to me, at least) that they were using the updater on a clean installation, since they said things like: it didn't ask for disks, etc.
    There are also some reports of the disks ejecting without being read, etc., that sound like a possible installer bug or some system incompatibility.

Neither happened to me. I did a clean install of Leopard, downloaded the 1.3 installer, ran it, inserted my disks, and everything was fine.

In any event, I would imagine that if you order Dimension Pro now, you'll get disks with the proper installer on them (1.3), and should be fine.

Take care,
    - zevo
    post edited by inmazevo - 2008/09/03 13:51:00
    brzilian
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 788
    RE: Dimension Pro + OSX Leopard 2008/09/03 20:02:48 (permalink)
    The 1.3 patch for a clean Leopard installation still DOES NOT work.

The only way to install DimPro on a 10.5 system is to install it on a Parallels VM or Boot Camp partition under Windows and manually copy all the multisaples over to OS X.
    dazzer
    RE: Dimension Pro + OSX Leopard 2008/09/04 10:53:26 (permalink)
    Thanks for the posts.

Sevo, good to hear DP works for you in Logic.
    brzilian, man, if that really is the only way to get it working on Leo, then Cakewalk would have to hang their heads in shame.

I think I'm probably going to give it a miss; even tho I find it kinda hard to believe that you have to install Windows to get it working, I'm not feeling good about it.
    inmazevo
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3276
    RE: Dimension Pro + OSX Leopard 2008/09/04 15:58:21 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: brzilian
    The 1.3 patch for a clean Leopard installation still DOES NOT work.
    The only way to install DimPro on a 10.5 system is to install it on a Parallels VM or Boot Camp partition under Windows and manually copy all the multisaples over to OS X.

I'm sorry it didn't work for you, but I know definitively that your assertion is not the "only" way to install it.
    I clean installed Leopard, ran the updated Dim Pro installer, inserted the disks at the prompt, and it completed and has run fine ever since.
    I did this on two Macs... Macbook and iMac.

I'm not defending them (Cake). The patch took far too long, and from the looks of it is not without issues that need addressed, and frankly if you can't get it to work as advertised you should get your money back.
    But it's not totally broken either.

- zevo

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1