Dimension Pro Preset List

Author
marklchambers
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 30
2011/09/30 20:15:58 (permalink)

Dimension Pro Preset List

It seems I've seen a similar question asked, but can't find it. So... There are some 1500 presets(maybe more with expansion packs) for Dim Pro. In the past when I have bought hardware synths (such as Alesis or Proteus), a list of the presets was included. At that time the hardware had only 256 sounds each, but the listing was very handy in finding the sounds since there seemed to be little logic used in assigning numbers. For example, on the Proteus 1, there was a Hall Strings preset numbered 001 (or thereabouts), another type of strings (isham strings) around 023 and two more Hall Strings at 110 and 111...along with variously numbered other string presets. So, with more than 1500 Dim Pro presets, is there not a listing I can print out or have open in a Word window for quick scanning? Yes, I know the box opens and there is a listing of every instrument (which, if it can be highlighted or marked in some way, I don't know how to do it). And, no, I really don't want to create new folders for every sound I might possibly want to use. That's an awful lot of clutter on an already cluttered preset listing. Please help. Thanx in advance.

5 Replies Related Threads

czyky
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 193
    Re:Dimension Pro Preset List 2011/10/01 01:00:55 (permalink)
    The only way I found, and I've looked around, is to get to a cmd prompt, navigate to the dim pro multisamples folder, then run "dir /b /s /oN > dimpro.lst". The resulting file can be massaged a bit, of course, once you open it in an editor. I've done it for Rapture too. I have a bunch of expansions for both instruments, so even a primitive file list patch list is helpful.

Other synth programs have nice browsers, search, bookmarks, etc. Dim Pro and Rapture deserve these as well. It's been a couple of years without upgrades, hopefully dim pro and rapture be updated with some navigation features.

I just recalled, I did get to participate in a CW product survey some time in the last year, and I remember them asking what I'd like to see in an updated virtual instrument. I'm pretty sure a patch librarian was one of the options, and you can be pretty sure I said "heck, yes!" (or words to that effect).

"I can't think of a single example of where a big company buying a small company has ultimately been good for consumers." --bitflipper
    www.reverbnation.com/markadamczyk
    www.adamczyk.com
    marklchambers
    Re:Dimension Pro Preset List 2011/10/01 09:06:06 (permalink)
    thanks, czyky. I will give that a try. If I can just get the preset names into microsoft word without having to retype them, I can put them in a format that is easy to deal with. I really like Dim Pro and learn a new trick (new for me, anyway) almost everyday. But there's a lot of time wasted sampling sounds that could be applied to being a little more creative.
    czyky
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 193
    Re:Dimension Pro Preset List 2011/10/01 10:16:32 (permalink)
    I like to print mine out in really small font, four pages to a sheet, double-sided. That way I only have, say, ten double-sided pages to deal with.

It's such a hassle dealing with thousands of patches/presets, especially when I (or anybody, more or less) am only going to use maybe a 100 or 200 tops. It's ironic that vendors have to include a thousand patches to sell their wares, then 80-90% of those patches get in the way most of the time. 

At a minimum, I'd love some sort of rating system, like Adobe Bridge has, where I could just give patches I like 4 stars and patches I have no use for 1 star (and the in between stars, of course). Then when I do a search, I could filter out everything but the 4 stars. Speaking of search! Wouldn't that be nice. There's a third party database program that works with a lot of synths, but not the CW products, unfortunately.

I've gotten in the habit of saving any patch I come across that I like (a lot) to my favorites folder, probably tweaking it in the process. (Tweaks usually involve turning off the reverb, I like to put the reverb in myself, in the mix.) It's a hassle, but now I have those 100-200 patches I use most in a place where I can put my hands on them.

I'm always looking at new patches, so my favorites list doesn't stay static. (Now if I could say the same about my music!)

"I can't think of a single example of where a big company buying a small company has ultimately been good for consumers." --bitflipper
    www.reverbnation.com/markadamczyk
    www.adamczyk.com
    Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:Dimension Pro Preset List 2011/10/01 11:20:02 (permalink)
    there is a way to do it, I've done it before in the past for the proteus packs for DSF :) . 

2 methods really.. do the same thing

METHOD 1 (for people who know their way around DOS / command prompt)
    ok, you need to navigate to your DP programs folder in commmand prompt .. depends on your windows version.. on 7 / 64 bit it is.. "C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro\Programs" 

first type in "CMD" and you'll get a dos prompt / window  in windows run / search bar 

then do 
    c: 
    cd \ 
    cd prog (then press TAB till "programData" comes up) 
    cd cake (then press TAB till "cakewalk" comes up) 
    cd Dim (then press TAB till "Dimension Pro" comes up) 
    cd Prog (then press TAB till "program" comes up") 
    dir *.prog /s > c:\myset.txt 

---------------------------

METHOD 2

open notepad / copy and paste this > 

dir *.prog /s > c:\myset.txt 

then save it as "presets.bat" to the desktop etc..

open sonar / start Dim Pro or start stand alone.. "load prog" and the bar at the top will have 
    "C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro\Programs"  

highlight / copy that (CTRL + C)

close sonar / DP

open windows explorer or my computer

navigate to the address bar at the top.. PRESS CTRL +V 

and you should have C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro\Programs

go up a level to "C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro"

which should read

programs
    sample pool
    tuning 

copy / pasted the "presets.bat" to that folder and double click it.. it'll run  / generate a text file called "myset.txt" which you can edit / alter in word etc  , it's located in C drive in \ (the root folder)

and I use either crimson edit / context to remove the data you don't need 

post edited by Fog - 2011/10/01 11:40:54
    marklchambers
    Re:Dimension Pro Preset List 2011/10/22 10:20:11 (permalink)
    I have been negligent in returning to thank Fog for his input. It worked perfectly. I laid it out in Microsoft Word...and now have a complete printable list of all sounds I have in Dim Pro...including expansion packs 1-3. I would offer it on here except that I'm certain millions of Dim Pro users would love to have it and I can't deal with millions of requests. So, use Fog's method and create your own printable list since it doesn't appear that Dim Pro creators have any desire to provide this customer service or the public relations savvy to understand why they should. Thank you, Fog, for your help.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1