Dimension Pro Proteus Expansion Pack, anyone have opinions?

Author
texasfrank
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 37
2009/11/05 20:24:23 (permalink)

Dimension Pro Proteus Expansion Pack, anyone have opinions?

Has anyone tried the DimPro Proteus expansion packs?  I see the street price has dropped to $49 to buy them separately.  I was interested in the X-treme leads but wasn't sure if these were just repacked low-fi sounds of the 1980s or if they are a quality sounds and a good compliment to the existing patches that come with DimPro?  The cakewalk web site has a poor layout and only about 5 sample sounds of Xtreme leads and makes it difficult to determine the variety of sounds, how many are basses, drums etc.  I wish they had many more sounds you could listen to demos of.
post edited by texasfrank - 2009/11/05 20:27:17

Cakewalk Home Studio 6 and Dimension Pro
Lexicon Alpha (ASIO)
Edirol PCR-M50 and M-Audio Oxygen 8v2 keyboards
AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core 3800+ 2.01 Ghz
3GB RAM
Vista Home Premium 32 bit  SP 2

5 Replies Related Threads

ChristopherM
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1921
    Re:Dimension Pro Proteus Expansion Pack, anyone have opinions? 2009/11/06 09:55:48 (permalink)
    Try a PM to timswartz (qv) to get answers to the factual questions.  Ethical considerations may prevent him from voicing opinions about the subjective questions, however.
    STUDIO D
    • Total Posts : 47
    Re:Dimension Pro Proteus Expansion Pack, anyone have opinions? 2009/11/06 09:55:53 (permalink)
    I had the hardware synth of the x-treme leads and it sounds great I have been waiting for the price to come down on the 6 pack of the e-mu proteus pack. But now i'am in the process of building a super computer so I will wait more. If you are in to Hip Hop and dance music then you will like most of the e-mu sounds. I have heard good things about the proteus pack! I seen it on E-bay for 99.00$bucks so good luck. If you have the room on your harddrive go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    dburns
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 323
    Re:Dimension Pro Proteus Expansion Pack, anyone have opinions? 2009/11/06 11:03:05 (permalink)
    I have the hardware Proteus 2000 (paid about $800 new) and bought the complete set (DSF Proteus Pack) when Cakewalk offered it for $300. The sounds of the Dim Pro Proteus2K are identical to the hardware. It sounds to me like they used the same (original) waves in the software.

I don't think you'd regret buying any of those packs, although a bundle sale would make it a better buy. I also like the PX-7 drum pack because it has tons of kits, most of which are GM mapped.

You can't tweak the sound parameters like in the original hardware, but you can use Dim Pro's controls to control filter, eq, etc. of the entire sound.
    post edited by dburns - 2009/11/06 11:04:43

Dave Burns
    Lowell, MA
    More equipment than skill.
    timswartz
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 78
    Re:Dimension Pro Proteus Expansion Pack, anyone have opinions? 2009/11/06 12:54:26 (permalink)
    Hi All,

We created the E-MU Proteus packs by starting with the original samples and instruments that are contained in the hardware sound ROM's. Each Proteus instrument preset was developed into a Dimension multisample SFZ and program and matched to the hardware. Keep in mind that the parameters between the two synth engines are different and it is not humanly possible to be an exact match,  but we came very close. This is a very good comprehensive set.

Be sure to also check out our additional Dimension expansion packs.......

http://www.digitalsoundfactory.com/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=cakewalk+volume&osCsid=a1fbea90f25066c879e4cb2ad8379687

Best Regards,

Tim
    www.DigitalSoundFactory.com
    texasfrank
    • Total Posts : 37
    Re:Dimension Pro Proteus Expansion Pack, anyone have opinions? 2009/11/06 16:20:08 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info and the link I'll check out the link you posted.  I'm hearing some positive things from other people which definitely makes me interested. 

As I mentioned earlier I don't think the web page for the Proteus packs is doing a good job selling the product because it only has a few sounds and it's kind of confusing as some of the demo sound names appear in more than one pack.  The web page for DimPro has many more sounds and it was very easy for me to understand and I have to tell you it was the DimPro web pages that made me buy the software.   I went through and listened to all of the demo sounds at a loud volume and it sold me on the product.

Cakewalk Home Studio 6 and Dimension Pro
    Lexicon Alpha (ASIO)
    Edirol PCR-M50 and M-Audio Oxygen 8v2 keyboards
    AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core 3800+ 2.01 Ghz
    3GB RAM
    Vista Home Premium 32 bit  SP 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1