Dimension Pro Strings: A+

Author
philo156
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 429
2007/12/20 21:49:52 (permalink)

Dimension Pro Strings: A+

Just got my DP today. Some great surprises in there (the jacyn vocal samples blew me away) and the organ and electric pianos sound great. The world section really compliments what I already have (didn't expect that) - the hammered dulcimer is fantastic as well as the Koto. Etc, etc, etc...

The Dimensions are great and compliment my Atmosphere with no redudancy at all - lot of new and fresh/interesting sounds there. Very different from Atmosphere yet every bit as interesting.

But the string samples (not speaking of the Garritan section - but just the cakewalk section named "Strings") are really, REALLY good. First rate. Well done Cakewalk!!

Still have a lot to go through but those are my initial reactions for any who might be interested. And anyone who owns version 7 - this update is absolutely a no brainer. And really, it's a no brainer at the full retail coast as well.

(can you tell that I like it? )

post edited by philo156 - 2007/12/20 22:04:26

"stop looking at me!"

7 Replies Related Threads

fac
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2427
    RE: Dimension Pro Strings: A+ 2007/12/20 22:45:02 (permalink)
    Once you've browsed the sounds, don't forget to download the two free expansion packs. They're pretty good themselves.

http://facproductions.net

Lots of gear. Not enough time.
    kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    RE: Dimension Pro Strings: A+ 2007/12/21 00:40:24 (permalink)
    philo156
    congrats .....to you ....Dim Pro is great , probaly the best synth I 've ever owned So far

(the jacyn vocal samples blew me away)
    me to ...I used eemmm on my tune Hey,,, Yeah...
    +1 on the expansion packs
    post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2007/12/21 00:54:04

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

Nick P
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3112
    RE: Dimension Pro Strings: A+ 2007/12/21 08:57:43 (permalink)
    Nothing against DP. I own it and use it. But the orchestral sounds are fair at best, both in quality and in comprehensiveness. Take a listen to Philharmonik, Halion Symphonic, EWQL, VSO, etc... and you will see what I'm talking about. Same goes for some of the "bread and butter" stuff. I have a Roland Fantom-X module sitting right next to my soft-synths and the former is of a much higher quality in terms of pianos, e-pianos, basses, etc... This is, of course, to my ears. Your mileage may vary.

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!
    philo156
    RE: Dimension Pro Strings: A+ 2007/12/21 13:01:00 (permalink)
    Hey Nick. I do have EW Gold XP - and love it. I wasn't speaking of the Garritan sounds - which I agree don't compare to my EW sounds (and the saxes aren't really usable for me). But the Cakewalk strings section samples have a very unique and pleasing sound to them. They also seem to have a little more up front presence than EW. I know there will be times when I will use those (maybe not in full orchestral mock-ups but) when I need a certain kind of string section sound in a tune more suited for their tone.

One of these days I hope to get VSO - but that's out of my range at this point. And as far as the others you mention, I think that EW sounds better than them by far (did a lot of listening when I was shopping).

But yeah - it's all subjective and there are a lot of plugs out there. I just think that Dim Pro is an excellent value with some first rate and very usable sounds. Still waiting for my rapture update as well.

But thanks - always good to hear other opinions.

"stop looking at me!"
    philo156
    RE: Dimension Pro Strings: A+ 2007/12/21 13:10:36 (permalink)
    fac: I will definitely do that. Thanks for the reminder.

kenny: It's funny you say that bout the 'Hey...Yeah' phrase (in the first set). Like you I am primarily a Jazz guitarist but I seem to write more and more stuff lately that is just about anything BUT Jazz (but I guess that influence is always there). But I got an idea for a kind techno/dance tune right after Dim Pro came in the mail yesterday (along with a couple of patches from Rapture LE) and that was the first phrase that I used! I have to say that I really like the tune (surprised myself a little). Still working on it though. I think it's probably true for a lot of other guys too - stuff that you might never go to the store and buy a CD of can still be fun to do from a writing perspective. I think I'll change my handle to TechnoPhilo.

The truth is I need to get out my guitar and practice some but man there are only 24 hours in a day and so many goodies to play with!

"stop looking at me!"
    Nick P
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3112
    RE: Dimension Pro Strings: A+ 2007/12/22 01:11:51 (permalink)
    At least from the MP3 demos, I'm not all that impressed with VSO, even though many people seem to rave about it. One library which it seems isn't spoken of as much these days, yet which to my ears sounds incredible is the Kirk Hunter stuff. His strings just kill. Of course all of this is so subjective. It will be interesting to see what comes out at NAMM. I think some of these orchestral libraries will be updated in some way. I actually like Halion Symphonic alot, but I've read a bunch of form posts (Steinberg forums) where people seem to be having problems with it. Would like to see that get an upgrade. It's another one that sounds great and which you don't seem to hear alot about these days. It's all EWQL, EWQL, EWQL. To me, those strings sound so over-the-top as to not be all that natural.
    post edited by Nick P - 2007/12/22 01:24:41

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!
    Jaybee
    • Total Posts : 423
    RE: Dimension Pro Strings: A+ 2007/12/26 19:38:38 (permalink)
    I agree with what you say about the Kirk Hunter Strings. But, for the uninformed, they are extremely cpu intensive. I have 2 GB RAM and an AMD 64 chip and I cannot load a full orchestra set of KH Strings. However, used in smaller sets they are indeed quite good.

Jerry
    Dayton, KY.
    Sonar 8PE, Project 5v2.5, Music Creator 5, Dimension Pro, Akoustik Piano, Battery 3, B4 II, Kontakt 2 & 3, GPO, JABB, CoMB, VDL 2.5, Garritan Authorized Steinway Model D, True Piano
    AMD 64 3500+, 2GB RAM, Audiophile 192

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1