Dimension Pro: Worthwhile?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
dbmusic
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1150
RE: Dimension Pro: Worthwhile? 2006/07/22 09:33:34 (permalink)
I fell for the P5 + DP deal when it first came out. I'm mostly an audio guy too, but this is cool stuff...and the quality is high enough for my ears.

DB Music

SoundClick
OurStage
Dave Modisette
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11050
RE: Dimension Pro: Worthwhile? 2006/07/22 10:27:55 (permalink)
Whoops! Sorry guys. You're right. When I wrote that I was thinking about being able to load different sampler file formats, which would be nice.

It's ok, Scott. As a matter of fact, I'm writing a book on Dimension that fills in the voids of the information available for it. I'll put you on my mailing list.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
My music.
... And of course, the Facebook page. 
three_eyed_otter
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2642
RE: Dimension Pro: Worthwhile? 2006/07/22 10:53:53 (permalink)
Buy DimPro. It has 7 gigs of content. You can load several instances of the same multi-sample w/out a RAM hit. You can load any wave. SFZ format is easily editable. Included fx are nice & usable. Well, minus the distortion, it's only usable. Very tweekable. Sounds don't need to be replaced for final mixdown as w/some "workhouse or all in one" samplers. Stability is not an issue. It's great.

have a good one
3Eo
garrigus
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8599
RE: Dimension Pro: Worthwhile? 2006/07/22 14:00:36 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Mod Bod

Whoops! Sorry guys. You're right. When I wrote that I was thinking about being able to load different sampler file formats, which would be nice.

It's ok, Scott. As a matter of fact, I'm writing a book on Dimension that fills in the voids of the information available for it. I'll put you on my mailing list.

Hi Dave,

Yeah, a Dimension Pro book would be cool. Hmmm... something to think about.

Scott

--
Scott R. Garrigus - Author of Cakewalk, Sound Forge and Sound Forge 6, SONAR 1, 2, 3, 4 and Sound Forge 8 Power! books. ** Sonar 5 Power The Comprehensive Guide - Now Available! ** Books up to 37% off at:
http://www.garrigus.com/

Publisher of DigiFreq. Win free iZotope music software and learn cool music technology tips and techniques by getting a FREE subscription to DigiFreq... over 19,000 readers can't be wrong! Go to:
http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/
three_eyed_otter
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2642
RE: Dimension Pro: Worthwhile? 2006/07/22 19:44:57 (permalink)
Yeah, a Dimension Pro book would be cool. Hmmm... something to think about

It's got that thing called a book. It needs a manual w/tutorials.

have a good one
3Eo
madfloyd
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 331
RE: Dimension Pro: Worthwhile? 2006/07/24 12:39:25 (permalink)
Dimension Pro can play up to four instruments per instance? I always load a new instance for my 2nd and 3rd instruments.

How do you play more than one instrument through an instance of it at a time?
Brandon Ryan [Roland]
Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3458
RE: Dimension Pro: Worthwhile? 2006/07/24 14:40:08 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: madfloyd

Dimension Pro can play up to four instruments per instance? I always load a new instance for my 2nd and 3rd instruments.

Each element can be on a different MIDI channel, so if each element is a different instrument then you can accomplish 4 instruments in one instance. However, I see no advantage in doing it this way and personally I load a new instance for each new instrument.

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel." WG

SONAR Platinum | VS-700 | A-800 PRO | PCAL i7 with SSD running Windows 8 x64 | Samsung 27" LCD @ 1920x1080 | Blue Sky monitors with BMC | All kinds of other stuff
attalus
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1687
RE: Dimension Pro: Worthwhile? 2006/07/24 15:08:51 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk]

Each element can be on a different MIDI channel, so if each element is a different instrument then you can accomplish 4 instruments in one instance. However, I see no advantage in doing it this way and personally I load a new instance for each new instrument.

Is'nt there a cpu advantage?
Brandon Ryan [Roland]
RE: Dimension Pro: Worthwhile? 2006/07/24 15:12:47 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: attalus

No not really. Dimension is a bit different and does not use any significant CPU until a sound is loaded into it. So another instance for a sound versus having the sounds loaded into the same instance would be about the same CPU useage. Dimension Pro and Rapture both are designed with this in mind.
post edited by Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk] - 2006/07/24 15:24:38

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel." WG

SONAR Platinum | VS-700 | A-800 PRO | PCAL i7 with SSD running Windows 8 x64 | Samsung 27" LCD @ 1920x1080 | Blue Sky monitors with BMC | All kinds of other stuff
attalus
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1687
RE: Dimension Pro: Worthwhile? 2006/07/24 15:20:09 (permalink)

No not really. Dimension is a bit different and does not use any significant CPU until a sound is loaded into it. So another instance for a sound versus having the sounds loaded into the same instance would be about the same CPU useage. Dimension Pro and Rapture both are designed with this in mind.

AHHH! Did'nt know this, Thanks for the info! I'll be definitely using multiple instances myself.
Brandon Ryan [Roland]
RE: Dimension Pro: Worthwhile? 2006/07/24 15:25:35 (permalink)
My pleasure.

losguy
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5506
RE: Dimension Pro: Worthwhile? 2006/07/24 15:27:54 (permalink)

This is how it should be done IMHO. Having single instances of multitimbral softsynths hearkens back to the days of external MIDI-driven GM modules. I don't even go for the so-called advantage of having a cleaner desktop with single instances of softsynths. As others have mentioned, Windows cures that issue intrinsically with the Minimize button.

Psalm 30:12
All pure waves converge at the Origin
Brandon Ryan [Roland]
RE: Dimension Pro: Worthwhile? 2006/07/24 15:32:49 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: losguy

This is how it should be done IMHO. Having single instances of multitimbral softsynths hearkens back to the days of external MIDI-driven GM modules. I don't even go for the so-called advantage of having a cleaner desktop with single instances of softsynths. As others have mentioned, Windows cures that issue intrinsically with the Minimize button.

Yeah, I would tend to agree. It's easier for me to have an instrument for Piano, and one for Bass, etc rather than having a Xylophone, a French Horn, and a Synth Pad (!) all packed into the same window and having to remember which synth holds what sounds. To me it is just much more convenient and tidy to have one sound/one instrument. Multi-timbre instruments were really designed in the day to get around the issue of most people not having 30 different synths in their studio, so you had to squeeze as much as possible out of each one.
post edited by Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk] - 2006/07/24 15:46:18

dantarbill
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1820
RE: Dimension Pro: Worthwhile? 2006/07/24 16:18:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: losguy

Yeah, I would tend to agree. It's easier for me to have an instrument for Piano, and one for Bass, etc rather than having a Xylophone, a French Horn, and a Synth Pad (!) all packed into the same window and having to remember which synth holds what sounds. To me it is just much more convenient and tidy to have one sound/one instrument. Multi-timbre instruments were really designed in the day to get around the issue of most people not having 30 different synths in their studio, so you had to squeeze as much as possible out of each one.

To me, it's just an issue of being lazy. (Apparently, I'm real big on lazy.) Yeah, you can load in multiple instruments in an instance, but there are instances where a particular patch is already layering more than one sound. But the REAL reason is that I just don't want to be bothered with setting up anything beyond what's already in the preset unless I REALLY, REALLY have to.

I guess if the thing REALLY wanted to do what a multi-timbral synth does, it would let you load up 16 parts and assign them to ANY MIDI channel. But...the point is moot.

Dan Tarbill
losguy
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5506
RE: Dimension Pro: Worthwhile? 2006/07/24 17:24:54 (permalink)
Multi-timbre instruments were really designed in the day to get around the issue of most people not having 30 different synths in their studio, so you had to squeeze as much as possible out of each one.

Funny you should mention that, Brandon. That is exactly what you had before boxes were multitimbral. (Nevermind what you had before keyboards were MIDI. Or how much you had to haul for a decent live gig back then. Ouch.) It's a strange kind of full-circle thing going on here, but because presets are saved along with the DAW project, it's just easier to throw per-track instances around.

Psalm 30:12
All pure waves converge at the Origin
diamondjim
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 241
RE: Dimension Pro: Worthwhile? 2006/07/24 18:32:03 (permalink)
I do mostly audio as well but have been using Dimension Pro as my go to synth for really nice electronic and sampled sounds. I strictly use the presets, and there are a ton! Also use it with P5 and pretty much my only synth, except maybe velocity.

-+ http://www.barnjazz.com +-
pcAudioLabs Core2 Duo E6600 2.6GHz, 4 Gig Ram, Plextor DVD/CD writers, RME FF800, Tascam FW-1884, Frontier Tranzport, JBL LSR4328P monitors, UAD-1, Sonar 6 PE, Wavelab 6, Harbal, Ozone3, BFD, Rapture, Project5, DimP
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1