Dimension Pro in Sonar ?

Author
Whoracle
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2009/12/21 21:08:28 (permalink)

Dimension Pro in Sonar ?

Good evening,
I've recently purchased Cakewalk Dimension Pro, but I'm having a slight problem. I don't use MIDI keyboards, so I bought it with the intention of using it as a VSTi (setting MIDI tracks' output as Dimension Pro, and playing back / Freezing the synth.)
However, no sound is coming out, the settings seem correct, and I've select lots of presets, to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated.

6 Replies Related Threads

kenschr36
    • Total Posts : 34
    Re:Dimension Pro in Sonar ? 2009/12/21 21:18:13 (permalink)
    So the input is a MIDI track that you are writing as a score?  That should work fine.  When you created the Dimension Pro soft synth, did you create a MIDI and AUDIO output track?  Is your  audio track sent to a BUS that is correctly set to your output?  The default settings for this usually work fine.
    Whoracle
    Re:Dimension Pro in Sonar ? 2009/12/21 22:14:43 (permalink)
    Tried all of the above, no help.
    Also, I tried it on an earlier version of Sonar (6), and it worked perfectly.. 
    kenschr36
    • Total Posts : 34
    Re:Dimension Pro in Sonar ? 2009/12/22 07:45:13 (permalink)
    So I think you need to debug the problem and post what the steps and the results.  Here is an example of what I would do:

1) Put some notes into your MIDI track
    2) When you play the track, do you see activity in the MIDI track (the level meter moving)?
    3) Assign this track to a different built-in soft-synth, does this play?
    4) Assign all of the MIDI parameters in the track (channel, etc.)
    5) Test again with your working soft-synth
    6) Reassign to Dimension Pro, is it still dead?

Also, have you looked at your MIDI settings in Options-Global?  Most of the MIDI message types should be checked.  If MIDI is working with other soft-synths, then I guess that this is not your problem.

If you have a different computer, it would probably be worth doing a fresh install of SONAR and Dimension Pro and see if you see the same problem.

I would also make sure you just create a fresh project in SONAR and reproduce the problem.

I realize that you may already have tried a number of these things.  I just can't tell.

I do not believe that the problem you are having is common.  This is certainly working for me with a 64-bit Windows OS running SONAR 8.0 32-bit.
    Whoracle
    Re:Dimension Pro in Sonar ? 2009/12/22 10:16:49 (permalink)
    Tried all the steps, nothing helped. The level meter moves in the MIDI track, and seems to be working perfectly with Cakewalk TTS. I've checked the MIDI settings and they're all correct. Tried on another computer, same issue, it works with Sonar 6 Producer Edition but not with Sonar 8 Producer Edition.

For now I'm sticking with Sonar 6, and I'm exporting the Frozen Synth tracks to Sonar 8 Producer Edition, so it's not a big deal, but it would be better if I use Sonar 8.

I'm going to double check the settings, and compare them to the ones in Sonar 6 and I'll post the results.

Cheers
    DaveClark
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 956
    Re:Dimension Pro in Sonar ? 2009/12/22 12:43:18 (permalink)
    Hi Whoracle,

A number of things could be wrong, but it appears you've checked quite a few.

Is the MIDI file you used for Sonar 6 the same as you used for Sonar 8?  If not, you may want to check to see if you have RPN and/or NRPN messages in the MIDI file for 8.  These will shut DPro off without any warning message.

Good luck!

Regards,
    Dave Clark

dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re:Dimension Pro in Sonar ? 2009/12/22 13:21:21 (permalink)
    Whoracle

For now I'm sticking with Sonar 6, and I'm exporting the Frozen Synth tracks to Sonar 8 Producer Edition, so it's not a big deal, but it would be better if I use Sonar 8.
    Since you're using Sonar 8 or even 6, this would be a legitimate question to post in the Sonar Producer and Studio forum.  That gets a lot more traffic, and you'd probably get a quicker answer.  Normally double posting would be discouraged, but doing so would seem reasonable in this case.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1