Dimension Pro vs Rapture - Differences

Author
spheris
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 350
2007/04/04 18:21:35 (permalink)

Dimension Pro vs Rapture - Differences

Is it just me, or besides the step seq and some of the mod options, aren't these more or less the same instrument.

I'd like to hear some opinions on the advantages of one over the other, or if they compliment or just get in one anothers way..

"Genuine brilliance is a simplified formula - one part egoism, to two parts genius, add a bit of trial and suffering mixed with an optimism towards existentialism..the rest comes with time"

8 Replies Related Threads

Nick P
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3112
    RE: Dimension Pro vs Rapture - Differences 2007/04/04 20:29:03 (permalink)
    Even though there is some overlap, they are very much different instruments. Rapture is more "synthy" for synth, electronica, dance, etc... DimPro is more for doing real instruments. However that being said, many people report that DimPro can wail at synth/electronica, so don't write it off for that. The best solution obviously, get both, especially using whatever Cakewalk loyalty pricing you can come up with. Otherwise I would decide what type of music you are doing - i.e. electronica or alot of real instrument type stuff, and then choose accordingly.

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!
    spheris
    RE: Dimension Pro vs Rapture - Differences 2007/04/05 09:53:36 (permalink)
    Wasn't so much about the style of music they gear to. More a question that both use sfz multisamples as their engine to produce sound and what the real differences were as to how they dealt with it (dimension as rompler versus rapture as a waveshaper/wavetable synth - granted...capable of huge wavetables at that)

"Genuine brilliance is a simplified formula - one part egoism, to two parts genius, add a bit of trial and suffering mixed with an optimism towards existentialism..the rest comes with time"

René
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Dimension Pro vs Rapture - Differences 2007/04/05 10:21:54 (permalink)
    From the 'spec similarities', you get that both Dimension Pro and Rapture can load samples and multisamples, both can play wavetable oscillators and waveguides, both have a certain set of sound generation parameters, some DSP, some modulation and some effects. They have a very similar interface, specially in terms of utilities (Program Browser and handling, , MIDI Learn, Copy/Paste element/EG/LFO/Modulator, external X-Y) and widget behavior. Both are available in a myriad of formats, including x64.

The most obvious differences are that Dimension Pro has 8GB of sample material while Rapture is a 40MB download/box, DP has 4 elements while RP has 6, DP can play REX/RX2/RCY where RP can't, DP has bus-type effects while RP doesn't, RP has two filters per element with more filter types while DP has only one, RP has a flexible DSP chain while DP has a fixed one, RP allows for three DSP transforms while DP has bitred and decim only, RP has 7 dedicated modulators while DP has 5, RP has 42 step-generators not present in DP, RP modulation matrix is bigger, RP has multi-mode for wavetables, inter-element ring modulation and tempo-sync envelopes not present in DP, DP has more patches than RP, RP X-Y is assignable while in DP is a cross-fade mixer.

But the real difference set is not that evident. If you check the Pitch EG range in both, you'll see they have a different range. For some sound set, based on acoustic instruments, it's more comfortable to have a smaller range. For some other, extreme tweaker sound set, it's better to have an enormous range. That applies to every of the 1000+ parameters in each.

The bottom line is, it's all about what kind of synthesizer you're after. If you are after a synthesis outcome which has acoustic components, it's DP. If it's about all electronic sounds, it's RP.

Hope this helps.

-René

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Dimension Pro vs Rapture - Differences 2007/04/05 10:25:04 (permalink)
    More a question that both use sfz multisamples as their engine to produce sound and what the real differences were as to how they dealt with it
    Elements and program levels are not directly interchangeable.
    sfz. files are (with a little core sample location tweaking).

I can't exactly list the details, but Rapture's internal engine is optimized towards smaller wavetables. Dimension Pro: towards larger Multisamples.
    This is not a matter of mutually-exclusive optimization. It's about efficiency.

A side-by-side feature comparison reveals a lot about the intended end uses.
    That's not written in stone, though. A few items can't be worked around. Most things can.
    Currently, Rapture 1.1 has the deeper feature set in terms of tweaking and the strict numbers.
    Dimension Pro has the edge on the variety of provided content, and perhaps in deep-level .sfz editing.

Having both, I use them almost interchangeably, but not in a redundant sense. What I use, or which core content that I use where, depends solely on my intended result, and the unique features that will get me there. In other words, I haven't found many limits that will prevent turning Rapture into Dimension-like. The reverse may be a little more challenging. Having the options makes this academic.

That's my impression. I hope that this comes close to what you were looking for.
    Edit: Once again, blown out of the water by René before I could even get my guns loaded.
    post edited by b rock - 2007/04/05 10:27:51
    spheris
    RE: Dimension Pro vs Rapture - Differences 2007/04/05 10:31:49 (permalink)
    Exactly what I was wanting to ask. Thanks much. Was wondering if Dimension will be getting a microhost as well at some point. Using Kontakt alot - gotten used to standalone for editing and construction.

One additional question, there's been some mention of skin options for rapture (I have seen the guide for dimension) Is it substantially different?
    post edited by spheris - 2007/04/05 10:36:36

René
    RE: Dimension Pro vs Rapture - Differences 2007/04/06 11:51:57 (permalink)
    The procedure to skin Rapture and Dimension Pro is identical.
    Ognis
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5129
    RE: Dimension Pro vs Rapture - Differences 2007/04/06 11:58:21 (permalink)
    The most obvious differences are that Dimension Pro has 8GB of sample material

Are you rounding out ? I only got barley over 7, or do you mean with patches ?

edit, 7.65 GB with patches.
    post edited by Ognis - 2007/04/06 12:00:44
    René
    RE: Dimension Pro vs Rapture - Differences 2007/04/07 11:56:48 (permalink)
    I brought the number from the top of my head, probably it's 7.x GB, or probably 8GB with XP1/2. I gotta check that.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1