Dimension Pro will not load Rx2 files [solved]

Author
skeewiff
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 265
2008/10/27 15:19:27 (permalink)

Dimension Pro will not load Rx2 files [solved]

Hi all..

Just got Sonar8 PE & have been playing with Dimension Pro. The bundled sounds are very nice and all, but I would very much like to load my own library of SF2 files and recycles (RX2 files).

Problem is, when I attempt to load them, they do not actually load into memory - Instead (in the case of Soundfonts) they appear as *name*.sf2 [0.0 Mb] and no sound actually plays. With Rex files (RX2) it doesnt even get that far and loads nothing either into memory or in the loaded display.

Am I missing something obvious? Can Dimension Pro load sf2s and rx2s?

Ta for any advice.
post edited by skeewiff - 2008/11/12 11:38:26

10 Replies Related Threads

Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Dimension Pro will not load Rx2 or SF2 files 2008/10/27 16:50:14 (permalink)
    rx2 works ok.. drag and dropped one in.. the lower keys play the loop at various tempo.. and higher up the individual slices

sf2 won't work.. needs to be converted to sfz..

you can load them into sfz though un-altered

http://audio.clockbeat.com/sfZed.html

is a free thing, but there are other converters that cost

skeewiff
    RE: Dimension Pro will not load Rx2 or SF2 files 2008/10/28 04:06:25 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Fog

rx2 works ok.. drag and dropped one in.. the lower keys play the loop at various tempo.. and higher up the individual slices

sf2 won't work.. needs to be converted to sfz..

you can load them into sfz though un-altered

http://audio.clockbeat.com/sfZed.html

is a free thing, but there are other converters that cost

AH... I just noticed. SF2 & SFZ - different file formats alltogether. Thanks I already have SFZ & Cakewalk RXP player - which Is what I've been using day in day out.

Was just rather hoping Dimension Pro would be the replacement for Vsampler, the jack of all trades open everything machine. Obviously not the case.

Cheers anyway.
    Fog
    RE: Dimension Pro will not load Rx2 or SF2 files 2008/10/28 07:58:05 (permalink)
    well RXP is better I think for doing tempo changes than DP.. if the tune you make has that.

http://www.vemberaudio.se/shortcircuit.php

is ok considering the price

I use Kontakt 3 though.. not cheap, but does what I want.
    skeewiff
    RE: Dimension Pro will not load Rx2 or SF2 files 2008/11/06 14:21:50 (permalink)

How?

I cannot get it to load any rx2 file at all. I've tried both my home made files & the factory content. Have tried both the drag and drop and via the menu. (and yes - I am loading it in the right place - not the load program window)

Nada. Just sits there "Empty"

Can anyone else open up rx2s OK? Try the beatscape factory content - I definitely can't open that.
    Fog
    RE: Dimension Pro will not load Rx2 or SF2 files 2008/11/06 20:17:45 (permalink)
    Al,

in beatscape how are you doing it? go to the content bit on the right , imported content.. drag / drop to that.. I tested it yesterday.

there was a thread on here about dragging / dropping rx2's into errm one of the cake synths if I recall, I was the one to ask about it and others kindly helped.. I'll have a quick look and see if I can find the thread.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1167013&mpage=7&key=�

Jose's post.. BUT that applies for rxp.. I do remember the later version of the rexshare lib. didn't work on it and 1.5.4 or whatever it was did.. not in front of my DAW so it'll have to wait till the morning or someone with better knowledge might post in the mean time.

the thing is I'm pretty sure beatscape uses the latest version of the rexshare lib, but RXP before didn't work with it and the older version did.

post edited by Fog - 2008/11/06 20:34:13
    skeewiff
    RE: Dimension Pro will not load Rx2 or SF2 files 2008/11/07 04:40:02 (permalink)

Al,

in beatscape how are you doing it? go to the content bit on the right , imported content.. drag / drop to that.. I tested it yesterday.

there was a thread on here about dragging / dropping rx2's into errm one of the cake synths if I recall, I was the one to ask about it and others kindly helped.. I'll have a quick look and see if I can find the thread.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1167013&mpage=7&key=�

Jose's post.. BUT that applies for rxp.. I do remember the later version of the rexshare lib. didn't work on it and 1.5.4 or whatever it was did.. not in front of my DAW so it'll have to wait till the morning or someone with better knowledge might post in the mean time.

the thing is I'm pretty sure beatscape uses the latest version of the rexshare lib, but RXP before didn't work with it and the older version did.

Hi Fog... & thanks for the reply.

We must've got our wires crossed! I'm trying to open RXPs in Dimension Pro - I only mentioned the beatscape factory content to see if others were having the same problem with common files.

Thanks for trying anyway!!!!

Al
    Fog
    RE: Dimension Pro will not load Rx2 or SF2 files 2008/11/07 07:27:33 (permalink)
    Al the thing with DP... hmmm when I got cake-pro back in feb last year... I did an experiment... took 1 grand piano, all 220mb of it.. made it into a RX2 format... size 44mb and quality was the same... BUT DP doesn't deal with RX2 format very well unless it's for loops.

I think it was a case of if I wanted to use DP , I'd put the content in the folder (where the loop masters stuff is etc) and press f5 ..

RXP was just more straight forward to use. the SFZ format doesn't do as good of a job with RX2 files..e.g. if I re-edit one of the patches to replace ".wav" with ".rx2" it says the file format isn't suppported..

I would like the bakers to include rx2 AND natively (so you can put them directly into sonar without the use of a vst) , since it's the only sequencer I use that doesn't.. heck even Reaper does from what I saw elsewhere.

If I was to use RX2 , I'd go and RXP as another post was on about tempo changes.. I noticed when you do the tempo change in RXP it doesn't alter the pitch , but DP has issues with it. So it's not ideal for such things.

I use DP mainly as a rompler and thats it, but to be honest I use Rapture far more... and things like the excellent / free Muz3um pack (if you haven't got it.. get it )
    post edited by Fog - 2008/11/07 07:29:45
    skeewiff
    RE: Dimension Pro will not load Rx2 or SF2 files 2008/11/07 09:55:29 (permalink)

Al the thing with DP... hmmm when I got cake-pro back in feb last year... I did an experiment... took 1 grand piano, all 220mb of it.. made it into a RX2 format... size 44mb and quality was the same... BUT DP doesn't deal with RX2 format very well unless it's for loops.

I think it was a case of if I wanted to use DP , I'd put the content in the folder (where the loop masters stuff is etc) and press f5 ..

RXP was just more straight forward to use. the SFZ format doesn't do as good of a job with RX2 files..e.g. if I re-edit one of the patches to replace ".wav" with ".rx2" it says the file format isn't suppported..

I would like the bakers to include rx2 AND natively (so you can put them directly into sonar without the use of a vst) , since it's the only sequencer I use that doesn't.. heck even Reaper does from what I saw elsewhere.

If I was to use RX2 , I'd go and RXP as another post was on about tempo changes.. I noticed when you do the tempo change in RXP it doesn't alter the pitch , but DP has issues with it. So it's not ideal for such things.

I use DP mainly as a rompler and thats it, but to be honest I use Rapture far more... and things like the excellent / free Muz3um pack (if you haven't got it.. get it )

Thanks.

I am currently using, and have always used, the rxp player bundled with earlier versions of Sonar. With some styles of music I can easily get up to over 10 instances - so I'm not new to RXPs or RXP player - I was just rather hoping that either Beatscape or Dimension Pro would be an upgrade or at least a less basic player.

RXP player is fine to a point - if you just want to play back loops - but the editing options are poor:
    Firstly - I have over 10GB of Rex files on my file server. RXP player won't allow me to change its default directory - so I have had to create a ghost copy of the folder locally & sync it every time I make a change to any of the rxps. & Secondly I cannot edit individual slices.

I was praying that these issues were addressed with either BS or DP. Sadly beatscape isn't what I expected at all, and is (for what I do at least) not particularly useful... & I suppose I was just clutching at straws and hoping that maybe DP would give a little more control over my library of RXPs. But it is starting to look like DP won't load RXP's, won't let me change the default directory & won't in general play ball.

Back to RXP player then.... its basic but at least functional!

+1 on native support - I wasn't aware that other DAW packages had inbuilt REX support. That would be outstanding!

Thanks for all the advice
    post edited by skeewiff - 2008/11/07 11:36:55
    Fog
    RE: Dimension Pro will not load Rx2 or SF2 files 2008/11/07 13:09:26 (permalink)
    well cubase has which I use for a very long time... so does reason (well it'd have to, but obviously not drag/drop .. nnxt / redrum / dr rex support it) .. and I hear now it's also in reaper.. Rex really does need an invite to the party

I did request it be included natively to sonar and also to the whole SFZ format... they included acidized files but not rex... I know far more people who use rex/rx2 in my circles.

you can drag / drop in beatscape into the imported conent BUT as I think it was errm Bruce? mentioned.. it makes a copy of the file.. so you have 2 , which isn't too good if your trying to save a bit of drive space (I have a serious amount of rex'd files I've bought or made myself over the years from computer music mag etc)

with me , the beats are maybe 3-5 layers of drum loops BUT only the high-end with the kick/snare combo underneath. I do use breaks, but if I do try to do it sparingly so the focus is on the main loop.

the pitch shift thing , when tempo changing RXP handles that far better.. I replied to a post maybe 2 months ago about it.

remember DP has SFZ format.. .BUT SFZ format itself doesn't like RX2... partly to do with the slices issue... I mean if I give RX2 a drum hit.. and there are no slices in reason.. reason still insists on me going a level deeper into the sound to select the slice when there is NO slices.. I did bring this up with props since it's their format. As much as I'm sometimes come across as a bit vocal about sonar.. I'm the same with the 2 props products (reason / recycle) esp. recycle.. it really needs to get updated with a number of functions which are 2nd nature in other things. e.g. I can do my loop editing in Kontakt also etc.. even free things like wavsorous do decent enough editing for loopists.

skeewiff
    RE: Dimension Pro will not load Rx2 or SF2 files 2008/11/12 10:34:33 (permalink)
    SOLVED!

Bit the bullet and updated to Sonar 8.01. Even though I couldnt find a mention of it in the fix list - it now loads rxps!!!

WOOHOOO!

post edited by skeewiff - 2008/11/12 11:37:27
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1