Dimension Pro won't install

Author
mosspa
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 818
2006/08/14 21:45:15 (permalink)

Dimension Pro won't install

I tried to install Dimension Pro on a Shuttle 2.8 MHZ P4 1GB WinXP-Pro SP1 system tonight. It gets through the initial instalation then starts to extract the sound files. It dies somewhere during the soundfile extraction. I tried 5 times and never got further than the Pads and Atmowpheres. Most of the time it dies during extraction of the drums. Once it dies, the computer is completely locked and needs to be rebooted via the power button. Nothing else (except whatever Windows processes are running) is running, there is no antivirus program on the computer. and I exited all the stuff running in the tray. I even disabled the FX-Telepoet connection NIC. I am currently installing it on this ASUS P4 computer while I am typing this, and the extrtaction has gotten further than it ever had on the Shuttle. And currently, beside the fact that I obviously currently have the browser open, about 5 things are running in various windows.
post edited by mosspa - 2006/08/14 21:57:58

John

AsRock Taichi 399, AMD Threadripper 1950x  O.C. 4.0GHz. 64GB DDR4-3200, Win 10 Pro,  Focusrite Scarlet 18i 20/Scarlet Octo Pre.  Frontier Design Apache ADAT routing, MOTU MTP MIDI Routing

13 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Dimension Pro won't install 2006/08/15 00:11:55 (permalink)
    Hate to sound simple, but are you sure it hung up and just wasn't taking its sweet time? We had some people here that were too, well, anxious. It is a lot of extracting to do and takes a long time.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    LostChord
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 203
    RE: Dimension Pro won't install 2006/08/15 03:16:14 (permalink)
    It is a lot of extracting to do and takes a long time.

I've done the install a couple of times, once from the DVDs and a second time after copying to HD (because I didn't trust the DVDs). Both installs took about 40 minutes. Copying both DVDs takes (from memory) about 10 minutes. So it's a lot of very inefficient extracting

cheers

We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse.
    dougsyo
    • Total Posts : 209
    RE: Dimension Pro won't install 2006/08/15 06:12:29 (permalink)
    I recently reinstalled DimPro after an "oops", so I decided to watch the target directory as the installer ran.

Some of the content is pretty big, and spread across multiple files - say "01 Grand Piano.7z.001" through "01 Grand Piano.7z.008". The installer will copy all eight parts from DVD to hard drive, before it begins extraction. After extraction, it deletes the copied .001 through .008 files.

This is why it may seem to "die" or stop making progress at some points. 40 minutes sounds about right to me. Copying the DVDs to disk would speed up the process, because then it's a disk-to-disk copy during the install.

Doug
    post edited by dougsyo - 2006/08/15 06:25:54

Logic is a pretty flower that smells bad.
    For a good time click http://www.belindabedekovic.com/video_fl_en.htm
    LostChord
    RE: Dimension Pro won't install 2006/08/15 06:42:30 (permalink)
    Copying the DVDs to disk would speed up the process, because then it's a disk-to-disk copy during the install.

Is this theory or experience?? Seemed to make practically no difference when I tried it. Hence the comment about the extraction process.

cheers

dougsyo
    • Total Posts : 209
    RE: Dimension Pro won't install 2006/08/15 11:21:51 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: LostChord

Copying the DVDs to disk would speed up the process, because then it's a disk-to-disk copy during the install.

Is this theory or experience?? Seemed to make practically no difference when I tried it. Hence the comment about the extraction process.

Perhaps I should have said "should" rather than "would", but my experience with other installers seems to bear this out. Perhaps it's because the OS "copy" or "xcopy" or drag-and-drop copying are faster than the file-copy utility in some installers?

Doug

Logic is a pretty flower that smells bad.
    For a good time click http://www.belindabedekovic.com/video_fl_en.htm
    mosspa
    RE: Dimension Pro won't install 2006/08/15 14:57:59 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: AT

Hate to sound simple, but are you sure it hung up and just wasn't taking its sweet time? We had some people here that were too, well, anxious. It is a lot of extracting to do and takes a long time.

Well, when I jiggle the mouse, the cursor doesn't move. Ctl, Alt Delete does nothing as well. The computer is hung, methinks.

John

AsRock Taichi 399, AMD Threadripper 1950x  O.C. 4.0GHz. 64GB DDR4-3200, Win 10 Pro,  Focusrite Scarlet 18i 20/Scarlet Octo Pre.  Frontier Design Apache ADAT routing, MOTU MTP MIDI Routing
    mosspa
    RE: Dimension Pro won't install 2006/08/15 15:00:12 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dougsyo

I recently reinstalled DimPro after an "oops", so I decided to watch the target directory as the installer ran.

Some of the content is pretty big, and spread across multiple files - say "01 Grand Piano.7z.001" through "01 Grand Piano.7z.008". The installer will copy all eight parts from DVD to hard drive, before it begins extraction. After extraction, it deletes the copied .001 through .008 files.

This is why it may seem to "die" or stop making progress at some points. 40 minutes sounds about right to me. Copying the DVDs to disk would speed up the process, because then it's a disk-to-disk copy during the install.

Doug

During one of the install attempts, I ran to the grocery store, came home, ate dinner and watched about 25 min of the news. In all that was about 1hr 45 min. When I went back to look at thei install, it was stuck on drums. No mouse. No ctl, alt, delete.

John

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Dimension Pro won't install 2006/08/15 15:16:59 (permalink)
    When I went back to look at thei install, it was stuck on drums.
    Mosspa: this triggered something for me that goes back to the original version of Dimension on the Project5 installation disk. I'm not sure that this will help, but pointing you to an example thread couldn't hurt.
    mosspa
    RE: Dimension Pro won't install 2006/08/15 15:55:51 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: b rock

When I went back to look at thei install, it was stuck on drums.
    Mosspa: this triggered something for me that goes back to the original version of Dimension on the Project5 installation disk. I'm not sure that this will help, but pointing you to an example thread couldn't hurt.

Thanks. I'll check it out when I get home from work

John

Trusty
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 590
    RE: Dimension Pro won't install 2006/08/15 17:55:38 (permalink)
    You aren't alone at least in your troubles...I remember I coudln't reinstall P5 with Dimension on my computer because of cyclic Redundancy errors about half way through for the longest time. and still can't. I have it on my computer now, and even though I want to do a complete re-format of my computer...I am too scared to as I am afraid I wouldn't be a ble to reload Dimension back on it...I plan on upgrading to Dim Pro in a few weeks, so I am going to wait until then to reformat and then not have to worry about the Dim that comes with P5. It is sad though, because I am getting worried that Dim Pro won't install either...

BTW, anyone know what cyclic redundancy errors are anyway?
    post edited by Trusty - 2006/08/15 18:07:43
    LostChord
    RE: Dimension Pro won't install 2006/08/15 22:20:13 (permalink)

Media is failing built in error check. Try copy to disk and try install from there. Seems to work better for some reason.

cheers

Trusty
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 590
    RE: Dimension Pro won't install 2006/08/16 14:47:42 (permalink)

Media is failing built in error check. Try copy to disk and try install from there. Seems to work better for some reason.

cheers

I tried that as well, same error... I feel trapped because I don't want to lose it if I reformat...but I really need to reformat.
    mosspa
    RE: Dimension Pro won't install 2006/08/16 18:28:43 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Trusty

cheers

I tried that as well, same error... I feel trapped because I don't want to lose it if I reformat...but I really need to reformat.

Read the thread that I started on Dimension Pro won't install, or whatever I called it. I have been unable to get through the unpack process for installing the multisamples. Rene made a suggestion to somebody else on how to avoid the instalation of the multisamples and still insdtall the program. I was able to fully install DimPro on the macjine that I'm using now (my office computer, unconnected to my studio). I then used WinRar to burn the whole multisample directory on to one DVD+R DL disk (just fit). I then copied the file on the studio computer and unWinRared it into the multisample directory DinPro is expecting. I then did as Rene uinstructed in the other thread and it worked. After, I decided to just make simple DVD-R (single layer) disks of the multisamples directory files. It took 3 DVDs but now I am secure in knowing that I have it available.

So, just get the multisamples directory archived onto DVD (or another HD, I suppose) and install it the way Rene suggests.

John

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1