Dimension Pro/Rapture - a few questions

Author
chasingzero
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10
2008/02/21 10:12:31 (permalink)

Dimension Pro/Rapture - a few questions

For a while now, Ive been making the switch to software instruments. I finally have the kind of computer that can run them effectively enough for my purposes.

I am currently looking for something that will replace the need for an external S+S rompler type synthesizer. My thought, right now, is that Dimension Pro may be a good choice for this particularly if I pair it with the EMU Proteus libraries (I would, in fact, be replacing a couple old proteus modules I have in my rack).

I thought about getting the Emulator X2 or Proteus X2 software, but I really dont like how it is tied to having EMU hardware installed.

So my questions are:

1. Unfortunately, I cant seem to find a Demo for Dimension Pro. Does one exist?
2. Looking at the UI, Rapture and Dimension Pro look very similar. What are their differences?
3. I know this forum is going to have a heavy bias, but what are peoples opinions of the EMU Proteus libraries for Dimension Pro?
4. I use Ableton Live 7 as my primary DAW. Has anyone had trouble with Dimension Pro + Live?

Thats about it.

Thank you for your time

3 Replies Related Threads

vespesian
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 517
    RE: Dimension Pro/Rapture - a few questions 2008/02/21 11:48:03 (permalink)
    To way over-simplify, with Rapture, you can basically build any sound you want, in a cagillion different ways. It doesn't really have a "set" sound, although it's an electronica artist's dream come true. Dim, like you noted, is more sample based, and although it too can mangle/create an amazing variety sounds, I think it's a bit more suited towards 'emulation' or 'virtual' type situations, for eg., those Emu packs (which are really nice, btw). Rapture will make sounds you've never heard before.

You're in an amazing state.

So stay there.

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Dimension Pro/Rapture - a few questions 2008/02/21 17:44:18 (permalink)
    Dimpro comes with a good S&S library (tho I have heard mixed reviews about the emu library from one member). If I'm looking for a basic acoustic or synth patch, Dimpro is a logical first choice. But the atmospheres patches are out there in soundscape land, too.

From your question it seems that DimPro would be a good fit. It is harder (without line coding SFZ files) to add third party samples to your library than some other samplers, but with hundreds of presets (and samples) and good tweakablility you should be covered.

Rapture shares many elements (pun intended) with DimPro, andI I go to for more for more "synthy" (technical term, there) since it will usually have more presets in that area to work from. If you use a lot of organs, Rapture has more of those out of the box than DimPro, which I always found interesting. It has more elements for layering and a bit more programability. So if you lean more toward making synth patches I'd recommend that. But it doesn't cover the acoustic side like DimPro, tho it is cheaper.

Your choice. Both is best and will cover just about all your needs for in the box synthesis. And you can swap samples, tho the programs themselves don't always translate directly.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Nick P
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3112
    RE: Dimension Pro/Rapture - a few questions 2008/02/21 21:08:38 (permalink)
    From my perspective the key to a successful relationship with a soft-rompler is 1) Library, library, library. 2) Usability

Thus, I would look past DimPro and straight to Kontakt 3. What is the library size? Like 35 gigabytes or something?

Rapture is more of a synthesizer for electronic sounds, etc....

If I had no softsynths today, and knew what I knew today, I would buy A) Kontakt 3 B) Rapture C) NI's FM-8 D) NI's Battery 3

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1