Dimension drums vs Session Drummer sounds

Author
OldNick
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1149
2007/12/21 22:59:28 (permalink)

Dimension drums vs Session Drummer sounds

I have just opened the same sfz in both Session Drummer and Dim LE (I am using LE deliberately to keep it simple)

I have tried all combinations of snares. The snare in Dim LE sounds completely different from the apparently same snare in SD.

Can somebody (a) try or confirm this (b) attempt an explanation?

Thanks for any input

Nick

Nick
Aced : Zither Mush (I no longer have ANY idea what this means)
Ancient Seeker of Artifacts
Platinum 23.4.0, Win 7 64 bit

5 Replies Related Threads

OldNick
    RE: Dimension drums vs Session Drummer sounds 2007/12/22 05:37:52 (permalink)
    hehe! Juuuust testing you guys! <G>

Nick

Nick
    Nick P
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3112
    RE: Dimension drums vs Session Drummer sounds 2007/12/22 09:40:09 (permalink)
    This could be due to effects/envelope settings, or actually different samples. Personally, since to me drums are crucially important, after being completely underwhelmed with SD2 in Sonar 6, I went with Battery 3 which offers a way more complete range of drum sounds and kits.

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!
    OldNick
    RE: Dimension drums vs Session Drummer sounds 2007/12/22 12:17:42 (permalink)
    Sorry. I should have said what I thought the trouble was, instead of being smart.

You can load an SFZ into SD2, by Loading into a pad. But although the SFZ is an entire kit (from Dim Pro) the only instrument you affect is the current drum (kick, snare etc.) SO you would end up with the rather ridiculous and possibly crashing effect of having a whole SFZ kit for every drum! <G>.

I actually prefer to write my own drum patterns, rather than use a pattern generator. Partly habit, but mostly so I get feel, because each measure can be a little different, and end every song will "write its own patterns". I realise I could edit the MIDI stream of a pattern generator, but as I say, habit.

I may take some of the SFZs from Dim Pro and make single-drum ones from them. That will call only one set of samples for each pad.

Incidentally, you may by now have read my thoughts about SD2 altogether. Maybe I _won't_ bother editing those SFZs........

Nick
    post edited by OldNick - 2007/12/22 12:43:44

Nick
    altima_boy_2001
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2033
    RE: Dimension drums vs Session Drummer sounds 2007/12/22 17:24:01 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: OldNick
    You can load an SFZ into SD2, by Loading into a pad. But although the SFZ is an entire kit (from Dim Pro) the only instrument you affect is the current drum (kick, snare etc.) SO you would end up with the rather ridiculous and possibly crashing effect of having a whole SFZ kit for every drum! <G>.

In SD2, each pad lists the notes it will play back (kick: 35, 36 / snare: 37, 38, 40 / etc). If you load an entire SFZ defined kit into a pad it will only load the matching note definitions for that pad and everything else will be ignored. If things don't match up it's because the DimPro SFZ doesn't conform to the SD2 note definitions. To get things to work you'll want to make a note of the SD2 notes for each pad and copy/paste the appropriate sections from the DimPro SFZ files into a new file and match up the note numbers so SD2 will play back as expected. SD2 can play back up to 49 different instruments in a single kit. Feel free to put all 49 instrument definitions in the same SFZ file, load that SFZ file into every pad, then save everything as an SD2 kit (right-click on PAD at the top). Then you can quickly load the entire kit with a few clicks.

I bought Battery 3 also and use it for drum/percussion sounds, but think their cymbal sounds (except for some rides) just don't sound convincing. I've recorded my own cymbal samples and use SD2 to trigger them rather than Battery 3 because it has a much simpler interface and seems to take up less resources on my system. However, with very large samples libraries SD2 doesn't seem to scale well from my experience. At one point it seemed like SD2 was re-reading the entire sample library every time I pressed play and with a 300 MB library it caused a significant delay. Creating a "preview" version of the kit seemed to help out.
    OldNick
    RE: Dimension drums vs Session Drummer sounds 2007/12/22 19:31:53 (permalink)
    Ohhh OK. The pad shows the full size of the SFZ in its description in SD2, so I assumed that although it was ignoring the other instruments, they were still being loaded. So it's not quite as dangerous as I thought. It certainly had me puzzled.

I found out the hard way that the note numbers do not match, and had to slide a few instruments around (which BTW I reckon is a bit naff; these are now professional instruments and need coordinating via a standard of _some_ sort!)). However, having done that the snare played a snare in both instruments, but they were different snares. I had already loaded individual instruments from SD2's range, and then though I was loading a whole kit when I selected a Dim Pro kit for the Kick drum. So I was till getting a snare, but not the right one.

I actually find a lot of Dim Pro's kits quite irritating. The Crash, which in most of the kits is a Paiste, has an unpleasant resonant "whine" to it, when heard on phones. I think I will hunt for a replacement. IT is probably a real artifact that I may not notice if a full mix, and maybe it is the paiste sound.....

Nick

Nick
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1