Dimension/Pro SFZ editing capabilities?

Author
OldNick
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1149
2007/05/26 20:31:43 (permalink)

Dimension/Pro SFZ editing capabilities?

I am slowly gathering that Dimension is largely placed around the SFZ format and engine.

Can anyone point me to, or tell me about, what SFZ editing capabilities Dim/Pro has; graphical etc?

Thanks for any help

Nick

15 Replies Related Threads

mmarsh
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 155
    RE: Dimension/Pro SFZ editing capabilities? 2007/05/26 23:12:57 (permalink)
    None directly. You edit the sfz file by hand with a text editor. Open any of the sfz files that come with Dim using Notepad and take a peek. Then go to the rgc web site for the format documentation...

Mike
    lawapa
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: Dimension/Pro SFZ editing capabilities? 2007/05/26 23:21:39 (permalink)
    what SFZ editing capabilities Dim/Pro has; graphical

If you get into editing your own sets and you intend to get serrious about it you will need a audio editor. I use Soundforge.

For keymapping/tuning/conversions I use Awave from FMJsoft. Dpro has the upfront gui where you load ogg/wave/rex/and SFZ mapped files into elements but for pricise editing/prep the tools you'll need will be available in a audio editor/sample management.

Not everyone wants or needs to place a sample under a microscope. But Dpro/SFZ can make adjustments to each sample. You can fine tune Pitch/volume/eq/sample start/root pitch/keyrange/loop start/loop end and the list goes on and on. Everything relating to what you'd need can be defined within the SFZ format. And depending on just how sample savy you are you could do without any other sample software.

So why would you need anything else? If you have the audio editor/sample management software you can prep a set out to a finished set with all mods in place. This is the most precise way to go about it.
    OldNick
    RE: Dimension/Pro SFZ editing capabilities? 2007/05/27 01:05:35 (permalink)
    OK. I was just wondering..(wandering?<G>)

Thanks for that
    OldNick
    RE: Dimension/Pro SFZ editing capabilities? 2007/05/27 01:13:41 (permalink)
    We are discussing this in my other thread. Sorry.

I love playing about with sounds and have a sound editor, that can create loop points etc.

I was just looking at SFZed, which seems to have promise of taking away the Notepad part. I am not averse to programming, but when it's the very basis of what I am trying to do I would like to at least have somethong to get me going. That was my fear with SFZ stuff.

At this stage I was even wondering about _manipulating_ exisiting fonts, let alone starting to loop and create (which as I said I have done in the past) . One immediate advantage SFZ has over SF2 is the ability to tie cutoff of the filter in with Vel (true velocity sensitivity). In SF2 IIRC you can only do that by layering samples and giving them Velocity ranges, or I was using CAL to do it in CW, post processing sequenced tracks.

Nick
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Dimension/Pro SFZ editing capabilities? 2007/05/27 08:27:33 (permalink)
    the ability to tie cutoff of the filter in with Vel (true velocity sensitivity).
    For a graphical route to this in Dimension, go to the Cut EG, 'draw' a node- and segment-based envelope, and press "V" on the Qwerty. You have per-segment control by velocity input (or keyboard position by using "K" instead). For a more global route, check out the Vel -> Int and Vel -> Tim selectors.

For that matter, you can skip the envelope contruction altogether. The VelTrack 'widgets' found in EGs are always active, whether the Status is set to On or Off. Adjusting VelTrack in the Cut EG maps velocity directly to your settings in the main Filter section up top. I'm not sure that this is exactly what you're after, but it may get you closer.
    OldNick
    RE: Dimension/Pro SFZ editing capabilities? 2007/05/27 08:38:54 (permalink)
    Ahah! So Dimension _does_ have this sort of editing in a non-Notepad atmosphere. And widgets as well.

Thank you.

I am assuming that widgets allow real-time recording of alterations made??? (hopes)

Thanks

Nick
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Dimension/Pro SFZ editing capabilities? 2007/05/27 09:14:58 (permalink)
    I am assuming that widgets allow real-time recording of alterations made???
    Sure. Mouse alterations are recorded as DX Automation curves. You can also use (MIDI) Remote Control in the host app to bind an external control to nearly any of those widgets. In Sonar or P5, it'd be through the Track Inspector.

Toward similar results, Rapture is quite a bit more direct and configurable at this point. It's had 'mega-MIDI Learn' implemented internally in the 1.1 update, which exposes every widget. (I'll speculate that this might be on the table for the next DimPro update as well.) You can control DimPro widgets directly in a more limited sense right now, using the shift+right click Easter Egg.

For more details, click here.
    OldNick
    RE: Dimension/Pro SFZ editing capabilities? 2007/05/27 09:39:24 (permalink)
    OHOH! I see a thousand or so slipping away <G>

I reckon SFs made the possibility of MIDI creativeness to approach "real music" look possible (but with the limits of _C_reative-ness killing as usuall the potential), but never _quite achieved. If you have the power of SFZ, with its capability to use waves etc, with unlimited size, and therefore loops being more realistic, together with almost unlimited control over the timbre, attack etc etc....

sorry....having a huge mental argument about "real" music vs electronci reproduction and unlimited development of new music that transcends what a human can do.

My only problem is that so often, when we try to "transcend" classical music, we end up with repetitive crap or anarchic noise.

Sorry again. Getting a bit worked up here. It's happened before, and always cost me money....and never made much difference to music....as you wouldn't.

However it has always enriched my life....what's the odd fortnight's pay (except rent and food <G>)

Nick
    kwgm
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: Dimension/Pro SFZ editing capabilities? 2007/05/27 10:47:56 (permalink)
    A thousand here, a thousand there....pretty soon we're talking about real money.

Trivia question: Who is being paraphrased?

--kwgm
    OldNick
    RE: Dimension/Pro SFZ editing capabilities? 2007/05/27 11:34:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: kwgm

A thousand here, a thousand there....pretty soon we're talking about real money.

Trivia question: Who is being paraphrased?

'
    Sorry?
    mmarsh
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 155
    RE: Dimension/Pro SFZ editing capabilities? 2007/05/27 16:08:07 (permalink)
    Ahah! So Dimension _does_ have this sort of editing in a non-Notepad atmosphere. And widgets as well.

Beg pardon, I guess I meant for creating new multisampled programs...

Mike
    auricle
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 492
    RE: Dimension/Pro SFZ editing capabilities? 2007/05/28 05:02:14 (permalink)
    I think it would be a good idea to import a basic .sfz file - just with sample mapping for example, edit it in Dimension Pro/Rapture and then resave it to the .sfz file with the synth parameters. This would give a graphical editor flexibility to Dimension Pro/Rapture.

On a further note, does AWave or Extreme Sample Converter allow you to import .wav files into a blank program, map them for note/velocity and then save the program as a .sfz? As far as I can tell, you can only convert from one file type to another with these programs
    OldNick
    RE: Dimension/Pro SFZ editing capabilities? 2007/05/28 09:29:57 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: auricle

I think it would be a good idea to import a basic .sfz file - just with sample mapping for example, edit it in Dimension Pro/Rapture and then resave it to the .sfz file with the synth parameters. This would give a graphical editor flexibility to Dimension Pro/Rapture.

On a further note, does AWave or Extreme Sample Converter allow you to import .wav files into a blank program, map them for note/velocity and then save the program as a .sfz? As far as I can tell, you can only convert from one file type to another with these programs

OOI, the beta of SFZed (precursor to a free SFZed) does just that. Not in full graphical form, but without writing scripts. It has a column for each parameter and you can set values for each sample's range within a Region. About Vienna level of GUI. You still need to have, without guidance, the maximum range of each control; a weakness. There are sliders, which I guess will help, but they are very small and not very accurate for that.

That is not a comment on Dimension (which I know not at all), just a note for those that are interested.
    OldNick
    RE: Dimension/Pro SFZ editing capabilities? 2007/05/28 09:41:07 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mmarsh

Beg pardon, I guess I meant for creating new multisampled programs...

Mike

Possible clarification needed. I do not want to manipulate audio, to create new samples etc. That needs SoundForge etc.

I want to manage existing samples/loops of samples that have been created in order to create a ....Region (???) in SFZ, so it can be played or layered with others. I want to do this without having to write parsed scripts.

SFZed is my example. It is created in direct conjunction with the creator of the SFZ format AFAICS, and is a non-graphical, non script-writing way to _manage exisitng_ samples, wavs etc.

However it does not allow graphical alteration of SFZ-tributary samples etc, and will not integrate into any programme to allow graphical stuff that may be recorded into the MIDI stream to alter the parameters as the song plays. Read
    - "Control Surface",
    - or for oldies like me, StudioWare, for SFZ.

Does DPro allow this to be done?
    lawapa
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: Dimension/Pro SFZ editing capabilities? 2007/05/28 11:24:37 (permalink)
    However it does not allow graphical alteration of SFZ-tributary samples

Does any format allow that? I'd be curious to know.

This is the point where you get creative. A lot is possible. A lot more than most .
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1