Dimpro as hardware replacement? Upgrade offers still available

Author
jcpzero
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 216
2006/12/06 11:31:52 (permalink)

Dimpro as hardware replacement? Upgrade offers still available

A couple questions. I am a Sonar 6 producer registered user. Are there any current special offers including dimention pro for existing cakewalk product owners?

I am looking for a software replacement for my Roland JV 1080. Without a demo, it's harder for me to evaluate Dimention Pro. The audio samples sound OK (but they are now blowing me away). What are your thoughts on Dimpro as a replacement for a hardware synth such as the JV 1080 or even Korg Trinity.

Note: I mainly use preset sounds. So a good library of existing sounds that do not require "tweaking" is most helpful to me.

JCPZero
post edited by jcpzero - 2006/12/06 11:53:49

5 Replies Related Threads

jlgrimes
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1639
    RE: Dimpro as hardware replacement? Upgrade offers still available 2006/12/06 14:29:53 (permalink)
    I am looking for a software replacement for my Roland JV 1080. Without a demo, it's harder for me to evaluate Dimention Pro. The audio samples sound OK (but they are now blowing me away). What are your thoughts on Dimpro as a replacement for a hardware synth such as the JV 1080 or even Korg Trinity.

If your JV1080 is unexpanded, it is a tough call to say Dimension will replace it. It depends on your style of music, workflow and the type of sounds you like. It probably would be a good replacement for some people.

If your JV1080 is expanded, Dimension will not neccesarily replace the JV1080.

The JV1080 is a great instrument when expanded. The MB count is not as high but Roland is the company for highly playable sounds. I'm talking about, how easily sounds can fit in a mix, punchiness etc.

Dimension is pretty close though and does have some things it does better than the JV1080 notably more realistic individual orchestra sounds, but not neccesarily great string combination sounds that are pretty common in hardware synths. Dimension biggest downfall is Rhodes and Brass section sounds.

Also Dimension patches are not as instantly accesable as a Roland JV1080, theres usually a small bit of load time (not complaining about the interface though Dimension has one of the most easily accesable interfaces here, soft Romplers in general are just slower than hardware because sound have to be loaded from hard drive).

I do think though with the proper Sfz libraries in addition to Dimension, (maybe even Rapture, additional soft synth/sampler in areas where dimension falls short), Dimension would blow the Jv1080 through the roof.

post edited by jlgrimes - 2006/12/06 14:47:47
    dougsyo
    • Total Posts : 209
    RE: Dimpro as hardware replacement? Upgrade offers still available 2006/12/06 19:42:05 (permalink)
    Keep an eye out for Omnisoundz 2 from Sonic Reality/ESoundz. It'll be Omnisynth, but improved and not tied to the Sampletank player, and sfz will be one of the formats supported.

Doug

Logic is a pretty flower that smells bad.
    For a good time click http://www.belindabedekovic.com/video_fl_en.htm
    Jaybee
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 423
    RE: Dimpro as hardware replacement? Upgrade offers still available 2006/12/06 22:41:51 (permalink)
    I have DimPro and really like it. BUT . . . tonight I found myself going back to my JV880 to get a couple of sounds I can't match in DimPro. There's a lot there and most of it is useable and you won't regret getting DimPro but don't retire your hardware boxes. I have found that there are sounds on all of my boxes that I still use along with DimPro.

My $.02 worth.

Jerry
    Dayton, KY.
    Sonar 8PE, Project 5v2.5, Music Creator 5, Dimension Pro, Akoustik Piano, Battery 3, B4 II, Kontakt 2 & 3, GPO, JABB, CoMB, VDL 2.5, Garritan Authorized Steinway Model D, True Piano
    AMD 64 3500+, 2GB RAM, Audiophile 192

René
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Dimpro as hardware replacement? Upgrade offers still available 2006/12/08 11:40:12 (permalink)
    I think a good answer is "partially", and the percentage depends on how much you stick to something sounding -exactly- in a certain way.

I, for instance, still keep dozens of synths and rack units for "just a particular sound". Those are even sounds that I seem to be the only on earth to like. But sentimentalism is key

-René
    jcpzero
    • Total Posts : 216
    RE: Dimpro as hardware replacement? Upgrade offers still available 2006/12/08 12:08:01 (permalink)
    Well, I took the plunge and have ordered dimention pro. And there is upgrade pricing for those with Sonar for example. (Rene, the Z3TA+ is terrific). I will be keeping the hardware synths for previous songs, but hope to use mainly softsynths moving forward.

Now if I could just get cakewalk to process the order and ship it!

JCPZero
    post edited by jcpzero - 2006/12/09 22:27:03
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1