DirectiXer (VST Adapter issues)

Author
lmiller1220
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 200
2005/08/05 17:14:28 (permalink)

DirectiXer (VST Adapter issues)

Hi all-

There is another thread running on VST Adapter issues that discusses some quirks associated with it that I can relate to:
http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=549018

My question off to the side of that thread is: Is anyone using DirectiXer (http://www.tonewise.com/DirectiXer/) as an alternative to VST Adapter? Any thoughts pro or con if so?

I'm reading some info that indicates it might have some benefits/be a bit more reliable.
http://www.kvraudio.com/get/274.html (see reviews a bit down the page)

Seems like it could be a good alternate way to handle the VST/DX thing...
I'm gonna load the demo tonite and try it out. If it works, I'd buy it to have my VST plugs load with hopefully less difficulty.

Thanks!
LM

23 Replies Related Threads

smoddelm
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 447
    RE: DirectiXer (VST Adapter issues) 2005/08/05 17:18:20 (permalink)
    I use it almost exclusively. However, there are a few VST's that for some reason it won't handle properly (Concretefx Vectrick is one), and for those I use the Cakewalk adapter.
    lmiller1220
    RE: DirectiXer (VST Adapter issues) 2005/08/05 17:23:38 (permalink)
    Thanks- sounds like on the whole it has been working for you (better than Cakewalk's)... Hopefully tonite will prove that out on my end as well.
    johndale
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3228
    RE: DirectiXer (VST Adapter issues) 2005/08/05 19:31:18 (permalink)
    I've had DirectXer for 3 years. No problems. I still use it above the CW wrapper........................JDW
    Keni
    Max Output Level: -17.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5769
    RE: DirectiXer (VST Adapter issues) 2005/08/06 12:50:17 (permalink)
    I too have had/used DirectXer since it's inception....

It works great and seems far easier to manage for details... As well as the difference between scanning a folder vs. installing one or more specifically selected plugins....

I use DirectXer all the time... but I have found a few plugins in the past that worked with VST Adapter but not DirectXer....

But everytime I reported such, DirectXer was updated/fixed... so I've not seen this issue in a long time...

Keni

Keni Fink
    Keni - Facebook
    Deep Space Records
    http://www.reverbnation.com/inexile
    http://www.cdbaby.com/artist/inexile
    Out Of My Head Music (BMI)

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
    Tonmann
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 661
    RE: DirectiXer (VST Adapter issues) 2005/08/06 13:02:29 (permalink)
    So, you'd say the DirectXer is worth the money? I'm considering if I should buy it to get rid of that "7 mins 10 secs automation bug" until Cakwalk has fixed it...
    Are there any downsides using the DirectXer instead of Cakewalk's adatper (for example number of outputs, timing, etc.) or is it completely superior?
    Thanks in advance!

cheers,
    Chris

...maybe I never realized the joy till the joy was gone...
    Keni
    Max Output Level: -17.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5769
    RE: DirectiXer (VST Adapter issues) 2005/08/06 13:35:52 (permalink)
    I find it well worth the money. VST ADapater works fine, but I do find DirectXer more to the point.

So if you've got the few bucks to lay out, it doesn't hurt anything. I hve both installed and working. I use the DriectXer wrapped versions exclusively as I keep all the VST Adapter wrapped versions listed in a seperate folder labeled "VST"

I don't recall the last time I use one of them...

Keni

Keni Fink
    Keni - Facebook
    Deep Space Records
    http://www.reverbnation.com/inexile
    http://www.cdbaby.com/artist/inexile
    Out Of My Head Music (BMI)

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
    xackley
    Max Output Level: -45.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2973
    RE: DirectiXer (VST Adapter issues) 2005/08/06 13:55:18 (permalink)
    DirectiXer DirectiXer DirectiXer DirectiXer DirectiXer DirectiXer

I am not sure if the bundled package with Jamstix is a few bucks cheaper, but you may want to look at there web site.

Directixer has always worked swell, and it has midi functionality the CW adapter lacks, I got it to run Groove Agent. DirectiXer was required for GA midi output, and back when I bought it the DirectiXer wrapped GA had better timing than the CW wrapped.

Don

Van Gogh, seeing more that a vase of flowers.
    http://www.vggallery.com
    Newer Song "River", let me know if you don't like it.
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=162668
    urock
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 501
    RE: DirectiXer (VST Adapter issues) 2005/08/06 15:04:04 (permalink)
    I'd had Directixer for years and find it to be the better product. I got it when it was only adaptor that would run the UAD-1 plugs properly with Sonar. Like I always say, I wish Cakewalk would have bought that adaptor instead.

Best,

urock
    johndale
    RE: DirectiXer (VST Adapter issues) 2005/08/06 15:27:09 (permalink)
    And on top of it all. Big Krill who developed DirectXer is one of the nicest people ever to deal with. He is very prompt about addressing any and all issues. I have not had any. I just needed some explanation of the best settings of certain wraped plugs......................JDW
    lmiller1220
    RE: DirectiXer (VST Adapter issues) 2005/08/06 16:44:43 (permalink)
    Thanks to everyone for their helpful replies! As we speak, I am about to punch in the license key that I just ordered/downloaded. Demo worked like a charm- no contest compared to Cakewalk's! Thanks again, all! Ahhhhh- now I can use all my cool VST plugs! Woo hoo!!!
    Tonmann
    RE: DirectiXer (VST Adapter issues) 2005/08/06 17:14:29 (permalink)
    Great, a big thanks for the replies from me, too!

Just a last question: I heard rumors that one can send MIDI-data to FX plugins with this adapter, is this true?! If so, I would be able to use my old and beloved vocoder-plugins in Sonar at last, so I wonder as I read somewhere in this forum that the DirectiXer overcomes the DXi limitations?!

cheers,
    Chris

xackley
    Max Output Level: -45.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2973
    RE: DirectiXer (VST Adapter issues) 2005/08/06 19:44:19 (permalink)
    from what I understand, the wrapper allow the FX to Send Midi.
    With Groove Agent it allows me to record a midi track of what the VSTi is generating internally.

I have never used a vocoder, but I don't think sending midi to a DX or VST plugin is a function that is supported by any sequencer, unless the plugin is configured as an Intrument, DXi or VSTi.

You possibly should start a thread to find out how others have managed to control a vocoder. I seem to remember a discussion on it some time ago.

Don
    post edited by xackley - 2005/08/06 19:50:23

Van Gogh, seeing more that a vase of flowers.
    http://www.vggallery.com
    Newer Song "River", let me know if you don't like it.
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=162668
    Tonmann
    RE: DirectiXer (VST Adapter issues) 2005/08/06 19:56:18 (permalink)
    Ah, thanks for that information! I'll toy around with the demo-version of DirectiXer a bit and see if I can get my vocoder working in Sonar if I configure it as an instrument.

later,
    Chris

Tonmann
    RE: DirectiXer (VST Adapter issues) 2005/08/07 13:39:21 (permalink)
    Holy sh!t ! It works!!!
    This adapter is REALLY worth one's salt! I just ordered a copy.

cheers,
    Chris

DeBro
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 742
    RE: DirectiXer (VST Adapter issues) 2005/08/07 15:21:52 (permalink)
    DirectiXer allows you to easily categorize your FX plugins and software instruments instead of having one long list of wrapped VSTs in Sonar. Rename your plugins in their property boxes on DirectiXer's console starting with category names. Something like: Delay-Classic Delay; Delay-Voxengo Tempo Delay and so on. In Sonar, you'll just see the category name Delay in the list which can then be expanded to show all your wrapped delay plugins.
    kp
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1496
    RE: DirectiXer (VST Adapter issues) 2005/08/07 16:24:37 (permalink)
    That's also doable in the CW Adapter and always has been - just double click on the name in the multi-select box and you can edit it there (not knocking DirectiXer, but it's amazing how people don't know how to use the "free" tools they've got).
    Tonmann
    RE: DirectiXer (VST Adapter issues) 2005/08/07 16:34:40 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: kp

That's also doable in the CW Adapter and always has been - just double click on the name in the multi-select box and you can edit it there (not knocking DirectiXer, but it's amazing how people don't know how to use the "free" tools they've got).

Yes, you're right. But the following is NOT possible in CWs adapter:

- Sending MIDI to audio-effects
    - Receiving MIDI form audio-effects
    - Being able to use ALL mono-outs separately and not being forced to have them "bundled" to stereo-outs instead.

I'm sure I'm missing a lot here, but that are just the points I was missing badly with CW's adapter and which are now working by using the DirectiXer.

cheers,
    Chris

johndale
    RE: DirectiXer (VST Adapter issues) 2005/08/07 16:42:44 (permalink)
    Chris, Go to the CW adapter help. It will be under your programs menu in windows. Cakewalk/cw vst adapter help/ vst adapter help. That is pretty much all it does there. The DirectXer is a better adapter and does more easier I assure you.................JDW
    Tonmann
    RE: DirectiXer (VST Adapter issues) 2005/08/07 16:58:04 (permalink)
    @johndale: Umm... Sorry, I just don't get what you want to tell me with your last post?!
    I know what's possible with CW'S adapter and what is not. That's why I was looking for something like the DirectiXer. ;)

cheers,
    Chris

ronnie
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24
    RE: DirectiXer (VST Adapter issues) 2005/08/07 18:31:00 (permalink)
    For what it's worth, I've found that DirectiXer lets you capture MIDI back from GrooveAgent via loopback ports as well as have the transport functions in GA work properly. Same goes for Virtual Guitar. VST Adapter doesn't allow that. I like to capture the output of those programs and play with them in midi.
    DeBro
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 742
    RE: DirectiXer (VST Adapter issues) 2005/08/07 20:25:33 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: kp

I tried the demo of the VST Adapter when it was owned by FXpansion. Never really liked it and bought DirectiXer instead which I've since been using exclusively.
    mildew
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: DirectiXer (VST Adapter issues) 2005/08/07 22:28:11 (permalink)
    after a windows rebuild, my projects loose track of all my vsts when using cakewalk adaptor.

will directixor open them after a rebuild if i reinstall them identially?

thx inadv

m
    zendin
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 396
    RE: DirectiXer (VST Adapter issues) 2005/08/14 19:17:01 (permalink)
    I had similar issues. For me it was a matter of making sure I had the right dlls "somewhere" as opposed to which wrapper I used. I find the Native Instruments plugs in particular to be troublesome.

Now I'm trying the trial of Directixer - about 7 days into it. I'm using the NI Komplete 2 bundle, Voxengo mixing and mastering suites and UAD-1 Ultra Pak mainly. I can't say that I've noticed Directixer to be worlds better than the Cakewalk Adapter. I can't seem to get either to function 100%.

A couple of issues I'm having now with Directixer - even though I renamed all of my UAD plugs, when I try to load a UAD plug in Sound Forge 7b, I still see "Universal Audio, Inc. UAD-1 Powered Plu" for all of the plugs.

I also am getting an invalid buffer size error when I try to use the UAD plugs with SF (this admittedly OT, but I figured better aired-out here than a new thread), and I get a brief moment of silence before the plugs kick in.

Finally, (and most annoyingly), I'm getting a beep every thirty seconds when trying to use my Voxengo plugs for mastering in SF even though I own the plugs legally, and when I click on the question mark on the GUI of each plug it tells me that they are registered to me.

edit: actually just noticed that pretty much none of my plugs are working in Sonar now that I've switched over to Directixer. After installing Directixer and registering everything with that program I went in and did a reset all in Sonar VST Adapter. I don't get this, but it is no fun. Ever since my crash I have been completely unable to get all of my projects, old and new alike, to load successfully and run in both Sonar and Sound Forge without some kind of problem.

post edited by zendin - 2005/08/14 19:25:32
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1