Dirt Road Anthem......

Author
Scoobie
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 263
2011/12/06 22:51:11 (permalink)

Dirt Road Anthem......

Yep........... it's another cover.      Jason Alden cover.
I'm not all that satisfied with my mix.
Looking for some opinions on what might help !

I would love to have another drum kit, but that is out of the
question.   So I have to work with what I got.   It's live.

http://soundcloud.com/outbackremoterecording/dirt-road-anthem

Appreciated what help I can get.

Tim

Outback Remote Recording,  16 or 24 track mobile rig.

9 Replies Related Threads

bandontherun19
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 824
    Re:Dirt Road Anthem...... 2011/12/06 23:09:08 (permalink)
    Never heard of Jason Alden? But I liked this. And I liked seeing a .wav that didn't look like a brick? I'm not a fan of the "rap?" country or not... But the non-rap parts? I enjoyed quite a bit.  I liked when it was slower and the guitar was playing? And the vocals. Really good stuff actually. Good vocals are the grail for so many? You had some good vox in this performance.

All you need is love, just ask the Beatles?
    ----------
    Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:Dirt Road Anthem...... 2011/12/07 02:44:44 (permalink)
    If it ain't live, it ain't real eh Scoob? Hahaha! I never heard this one before. We do that Jason Aldeen tune "She's Country". Ever try that one? Really killer tune...I have a total blast on that using low C# tuning...even better in low C! Hahaha!

Anyway...this was really cool. I'd like to hear ya produce this stuff a bit more...sounds a bit dry which is ok...but you know...make it sound like a more finished live production kinda thing? I do this a lot too. Both my cover band and my original band play at my studio and I'm always recording us. We sound pretty good live as well....I'll have to post something up one of these days. What I did for us one time though...which may help you if you use the same stuff...

I finished one of our live tunes and added all the effects etc. From there, I saved the template so when we play live and I record it...I can just turn the effects and stuff on and it sounds really good. We use all the same stuff all the time so the template never fails. I really like what you're doing here though. Everthing is audible and in a good place pan wise. Nothing sticks out to me as wrong or anything...it just sounds a little dry...like the band in a carpeted room so to speak...which is a good thing. You don't need to cake effects all over the place...it just sounds a little unfinished to me compared to some of the live recordings I've heard...does that make sense? It's not a bad thing honest...just my subjective opinion. Really good job though man...keep up the great work!

-Danny

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re:Dirt Road Anthem...... 2011/12/07 14:22:54 (permalink)
    Great stuff. I've never heard this tune either. Your live mixes are getting much better. The snare is a little low.

Well done! I  like the tune.

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Dirt Road Anthem...... 2011/12/07 15:26:13 (permalink)
    Jason likes to mix rap and country..... whats funny is us country folk had rap before it was called rap..... back then we called it "Calling a square dance"....  grab your partner do see do.... 

I have that CD on my MP3 player... he's one of my daughter's favorite artists..... so I thought I'd listen to his stuff a bit, kinda keep in touch with modern country

It sounds good, more like a live recording than something done multitrack in a studio. It has a certain looseness to it. Not a bad thing.... The overall level is a bit low, again not a bad thing. 

Nice job singing it too BTW!

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    paulo
    Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6218
    Re:Dirt Road Anthem...... 2011/12/07 15:46:39 (permalink)
    Never heard of Jason Alden, but this sounds pretty good to me. Could use a little more "room" to my ears, but other than that I kinda like it. Vox are particularly good though not sure about the rap bits, but that's personal taste rather than a crit of how you did it.
    7-string_guy
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 430
    Re:Dirt Road Anthem...... 2011/12/07 16:35:42 (permalink)
    people always request dirt road anthem at the bar i dj at. but they want to hear the strictly country version of it...

I7 2600k 3.4g on a ASUS MB with 16 gb of ram
    FireFace 400 AI / Sonar 8.5 Producer / ToonTrack Superior Drummer 2
    Alesis M1 Active MKII / Ibanez 7 string / Fender Super-Sonic
    Schecter studio 5 bass / Boss Dr. Rhythm 880 , also Yamaha DTX full rack drum pad trigger system
    Scoobie
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 263
    Re:Dirt Road Anthem...... 2011/12/07 22:35:27 (permalink)
    Band............Thanks for your time.........Yea I like Robb's vocal.
    He has a very versatile vocal.   Great guy to work with live .

Danny..........."If it ain't live, it ain't real eh Scoob?"     I like that !
    Sounds like a memorex commercial,  lol
    I have She's Country in this same live set.     funny that you mentioned, carpeted room !
    I thought kinda the same thing.    The bad thing is, this was recorded outside.
    No "room" there to bring in the mix.    I'll see what I can do to add space to the mix.

I use a template to start with, but I record in so many different place's.  It has to be tweaked
    for each live recording.      Glad you liked it, Thanks for the listen and your time.
    Oh yea,  post up some live recordings.   I love the raw energy !

Robert..............Glad you liked it,  Thank You !   
    I'll give the snare alittle lift...........:)

Herb..............Thanks,  I like alot of this modern country.  I wouldn't have said that
    20 years ago.  LOL      I tried to bring up the overall volume , but I'm haveing a hard
    time on this recording.  We had the monitors on stage blasting  (mic bleed, "big time").
     Thats the way they wanted it that night.  Not to good for a live recording !
    Thanks for your time Herb.

paulo............Thank You for your time.    "Thanks"

7-string.........:)   Thanks for your commit

Thanks Again guy's................  Tim

Outback Remote Recording,  16 or 24 track mobile rig.
    ChuckC
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1488
    Re:Dirt Road Anthem...... 2011/12/07 23:07:58 (permalink)
    FWIW,   To my ear... the drums as a whole seem low and set in the back of the mix, especially the kick.    I would say bring the kick up a bunch, the rest just a bit.  Bring the bass guitar up a hair and take the lead voc down a db or 2...  just seems way out front to me.  Or you could skip the above and just turn the guitars down a hair, and vocals down a bunch to get em more balanced out.   Nice job on the song though!  Everything's there in the mix and audible which is an achievement for live stuff.    Anybody in the band do the harmony vocals?  that's the only thing (other than the slide guitars and who misses those really?  j/k ) that was missing.  I love singing that kind of back up vocals...

ADK Built DAW, W7, Sonar Platinum, Studio One Pro,Yamaha HS8's & HS8S  Presonus Studio/Live 24.4.2, A few decent mic pre's,  lots of mics, 57's,58 betas, Sm7b, LD Condensors, Small condensors, Senn 421's,  DI's,  Sans Amp, A few guitar amps etc. Guitars : Gib. LP, Epi. Lp, Dillion Tele, Ibanez beater, Ibanez Ergodyne 4 String bass, Mapex Mars series 6 pc. studio kit, cymbals and other sh*t.
    http://www.everythingiam.net/
    http://www.stormroomstudios.com
    Some of my productions: http://soundcloud.com/stormroomstudios
    Rimshot
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4625
    Re:Dirt Road Anthem...... 2011/12/09 08:36:09 (permalink)
    Tim,

Nice job.  Lover the vocal.  I agree with ChuckC's comments about the mix.  Love the attitude. 

Rimshot

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
    , OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1