Disable services to minimize drop outs?

Author
julibee
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2826
2011/05/16 16:07:43 (permalink)

Disable services to minimize drop outs?

I'm running Window7 and SHS6xl, and while I had things working very nicely for a very long time, I'm suddenly experiencing so many drop outs when recording midi that I'm getting a little furious.  Ok, quite furious.  Sick of it, in fact.  SO annoyed.

Wondered if anyone might have some pointers for this - I think some update or other started this, but I couldn't even begin to point out which one.  No, this is not a dedicated DAW. 

Would be nice if someone had a list of absolutely necessary processes - but given that that would change for each and every computer, I'm not holding my breath. 

Just wondered if there's some script or something I could run to have Sonar TAKE OVER EVERYTHING ELSE while I'm using it.  Anyone want to write one for me???  :D

ANy thoughts?

She who must be obeyed. ***New and Improved with a Scarlett 8i6!***
Soundcloud     www.juliannamcduffie.com

4 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Disable services to minimize drop outs? 2011/05/16 17:09:08 (permalink)
    Julibee

I was working from a lappy that did double duty. The CPU numbers were getting kinda high and at times I had some drops....

How many synth instances are you running? What synths? and How many live FX are you running?

I found that to calm the drops and other audio issues, it was easier to simply freeze all the other synths and FX to the tracks.... while I was working on one track in particular. It is a simple process to unfreeze a track at a later date to work on it.

I eventually built a DAW for music only. But until I did, I had to work around the CPU numbers. I had looked at optimizing the lappy by shutting things off, but honestly, I really didn't see where that made a hill of beans to the CPU numbers. Freezing the FX & synths DID drop the CPU numbers and, I won't say it totally stopped the drops but it sure helped to cut back on how often I experienced them.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    julibee
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2826
    Re:Disable services to minimize drop outs? 2011/05/16 19:41:21 (permalink)
    Herb, here's what's bad... Brand new song... one audio scratch track, and only ONE synth (TTS, even).  No other instances.  Every other app closed, all processes that I can knowingly shut down, shut down.  Although I did NOT disconnect from the internet, which I might try, but things are still going to attempt to go online and update/search or whatever it is they are built to do.

I DID flip from WDM (which had been working just peachy with Win7 and Sonar and my M-Audio FTU for over a year) to ASIO, and while I was able to record the entire 3 minutes of song... immediately thereafter, BSOD.  And a "Bad Pool Caller" message.

argh.

She who must be obeyed. ***New and Improved with a Scarlett 8i6!***
    Soundcloud     www.juliannamcduffie.com
    ukmoonlitknight
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re:Disable services to minimize drop outs? 2011/05/18 09:50:59 (permalink)
    Hi there,

Forgive me if I'm teaching you to suck eggs, but not sure what your level of knowledge might be or what you've already tried.
    I use XP, so some may not work on 7, but it's worth a try.
    I'd look at all of these before deciding which might suit your situation best.

I always disconnect from the internet and disable the antivirus.
    Antivirus is very useful, but often plays hell with processing.
    I stick a reminder over the antivirus icon to make sure I restart it before going back online! Maybe 'noddy' but works for me!

You could try one (or all) of the following ;-)

Hit, Control Alt Del to bring up Task manager and select Processes (I think you've probably done that).
    Write down the Image names including the .exe and search with Google to see if they are system critical.

Try a 'clean boot' with minimal services
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

Download Tweaknow Regcleaner
    Use Startup Manager from Tweaknow to eliminate all of the stuff from startup that isn't necessary.
    http://www.tweaknow.com//index.php

I'm fairly sure there is a way to create a dual boot to 'normal' and 'clean boot' which creates a choice on the dos screen before starting up. Can't remember exactly how it's done right now but I'll have a think, but that might be XP.
    I know 7 has a dual boot option for different os's like 7 and XP. I'm not sure if it allows two 7 options with different startup configurations.

Or... try this for windows 7. It details use of msconfig and autoruns from Microsoft for startup problems.
    http://www.sevenforums.com/software/111180-program-runs-startup.html

Hope one of these helps!

Steve
    Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:Disable services to minimize drop outs? 2011/05/18 17:15:27 (permalink)
    The more multi-purpose you make a computer... the more diligent you need to be with organization and what I call computer house-keeping (keeping the system lean/mean).

First, since you're experiencing BSOD, I'd test the RAM and stress-test the system as a whole (to ensure the core hardware is OK).
    Once you've established that the core hardware is OK, do a clean/fresh install of the OS... and then make a backup image file (using True Image or similar).
    This will allow you to always get back to a clean OS install...
    Now, proceed with application/plugin installs.  Once you have the system back together and everything is working well, take the time to create an up-to-date backup image file.  This is the ultimate safety-net against problems.  You'll feel a lot more safe/secure installing demos/updates/etc... as there's always a means of (quickly) getting back to a properly working machine. 
    Even if your C: drive dies prematurely, you can pop in a replacement... load the up-to-date backup image file... and be right back in business.

DPC latency - a misbehaving driver could be causing DPC latency spikes (which cause dropouts/glitches)
    Download the DPC latency checker... and run it
    If you see any spikes into the yellow (and especially into the red), that's virtually guaranteed to cause glitches/dropouts.
    Sometimes motherboard control applets (ie: Easy Tune 6) cause DPC latency spikes if left running in the background.

Check to see what's running in the background.
    Go to the Start Button>Search Programs and Files... and type "msconfig" (no quotes) and press Enter.
    This will bring up the Microsoft Configuration Utility.  Go to the Startup tab and have a look at what's running in the background.
    Disable (uncheck) anything that's not absolutely necessary to have running in the background.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1