Disappearing Music Magazines

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
RE: Disappearing Music Magazines 2009/02/28 21:38:10 (permalink)
Here in Seattle the Post Intelligencer is going under -- again.

The alternative press is not immune. Any Northwesterners remember The Rocket, or the Seattle Sun?

We still have Seattle Weekly and The Stranger. (The latter calls itself "Seattle's Only Newspaper", a bit of sarcasm aimed at our remaining newspaper, the Seattle Times. Of course The Stranger is still waiting for its first Pulitzer, but arrogance is the price of being hip.)

The decline of print media is usually blamed on the plethora of alternate information sources, but I say B.S. to that theory. What alternate sources are they referring to? Television? Certainly not radio. Maybe the internet? Gimme a break.

My theory is it's because of a general decline in literacy across the board.

Last year, one of the many election-year polls revealed that nearly 70% of voters got the bulk of their information from TV, and 80% of them considered themselves better informed than the average Joe. Subsequent questions in the same poll indicated that in reality the people who got their information from television were overwhelmingly BELOW average when it came to knowing the answers to topical questions.

[Edited: removed inflammatory paragraph regarding certain wacky religious beliefs. Forbidden under forum rules, and anyway you never know when one of those nutjobs will show up on your doorstep...]

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
space_cowboy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9813
RE: Disappearing Music Magazines 2009/02/28 22:53:44 (permalink)
Bit
Regardless of anyone's political affiliations, I agree with what you said. One of the Right side interviewed a number of supporters of the Left side, asking questions about policies that the Right had laid out, but instead attributing them to the left. The questions were like
"Do you agree with (insert left candidate)'s policy of cutting taxes?" and most of them answered "Yes".
They asked "what do you think about ___ (insert the president at the time on his second term) running again?" and they mostly answered "I am against it."

Regardless of which side you are for, there were a lot of people who voted without knowledge of what their candidate stood for. A whole lot. Probably on both sides.

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1