Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
space_cowboy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9813
2009/02/22 21:44:03 (permalink)

Disappearing Music Magazines

Hi
I am a long time subscriber to SOS and Tape Op - what I believe to be two of the finest mags in the biz. I occasionally pick up EQ, FM, EM, Recording....

What has happened to these magazines? I bought Keyboard yesterday and it is like 70 pages. EQ is not much more. Recording was always short (and not really unbiased). EM...

The reviews appear very late for the topics they are covering. The breadth and number of reviews is paltry.

Maybe I am spoiled. SOS is such a great mag and Tape Op is the best deal for the $ going.

What has happened to the rags of our industry? Is - as Igor said - print dead?

It can't entirely be forums. SOS has a great forum. Then again, I routinely go back to old issues of SOS (and my 5-6 years on disc) to look at articles on techniques, and maybe some reviews on gear that is now getting cheap.

I hate to see businesses fail like these appear to be doing, but with the lack of useful content, I cannot imagine subscribing, or picking up more than a few copies per year.

Thankfully Guitar Player has remained a bit more consistent, though it is focused on an entirely different niche. But things like Keyboard have virtually no competition - at least not direct. Other mags (SOS, FM, EQ...) have reviews of workstations and VSTs, but focus more on a broader range of studio gear.

What do you think happened?

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!

31 Replies Related Threads

SF_Green
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1403
    RE: Disappearing Music Magazines 2009/02/22 21:55:24 (permalink)
    Funny - those are the two I subscribe to. SOS is just great, I really get a lot out of it - still a great mag. Tape Op is still going too and also good, but not nearly as 'beefy' as SOS.

Print in general is hurting these days since everyone can get stuff online and much quicker than waiting for print, and usually for free or very cheap. The good mags are adapting and making their content available online for a reasonable fee. Look at SOS - free access with a subscription, or web only for a little more than half the print cost ($36 vs. $60 /year). Smart way to do it. Acoustic Guitar is getting there and trying to figure out what works. We're definitely in a transitory period. Hopefully when things settle down, there will still be lots of good content available one way or another. Just don't expect quality for free - the people that provide the reviews and articles still have to make a living too, so vote for your favorites with your wallet! That's what I'm doing.

Cheers!

AMD FX-8370, Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3,  Win7x64 SP1, 16Gb CorsairDDR3-1600, GeForce GTX 950 (390.65), SSD 525Gb (OS), SATA 3 & 1.5Tb, MOTU microlite, RME FireFace 800 (D 3.124, fw 2.77), UAD-2Q, Adam A7X, A-800 PRO, CC121
    Cubase Pro 10.0.5, SonarPt-2017.10 (x64), Reason10.2, Live 10.0.5 Suite, Wavelab Elements 9.5.40, Komplete10Ult, POD Farm2.5, Omnisphere2.5, BFD3, Alesis QS7.1, Arturia BeatStep Pro, POD HD500, Alesis ControlPad, ARP Omni, many things with strings. GrSltz My Studio
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Disappearing Music Magazines 2009/02/22 22:03:39 (permalink)
    Yeah... I don't subscribe... but print is having a hard time due to the internet...and the economy.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Marah
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 975
    RE: Disappearing Music Magazines 2009/02/22 22:37:52 (permalink)
    Print mags are getting hit. I don't happen to read any of the music/recording mags, but it's not just them. The March issue of Vogue 510 pages. Sounds like a lot, but it's easily 200 fewer than last year's March ish. Last September's was 840 pages. The March ELLE is only 422.

It's the economy.
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    RE: Disappearing Music Magazines 2009/02/23 04:38:13 (permalink)
    It could also be, that when the level of knowledge and skills of the reader increases, it's harder to find a magazine that keeps up with that development. Also, the way I see it..the last big change in recording / DAWs / home recording was introduced in the form of VST's and soft synths in the late 90's. Even though the power of the computers has improved radically, the things we discuss in these magazines are very much the same as ten years ago. Multitouch screens and such aren't as fundamental improvements or inventions from the music making/recording point of view.

I'm sure anyone starting with DAWs now, finds those magazines a fantastic source
    of knowledge. Had we Alzeimers we'd be repeatedly impressed by the mags.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    jimmyman
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2193
    RE: Disappearing Music Magazines 2009/02/23 05:19:01 (permalink)
    kalle Rantaaho wrote
    It could also be, that when the level of knowledge and skills of the reader increases, it's harder to find a magazine that keeps up with that development. Also, the way I see it..the last big change in recording / DAWs / home recording was introduced in the form of VST's and soft synths in the late 90's. Even though the power of the computers has improved radically, the things we discuss in these magazines are very much the same as ten years ago. Multitouch screens and such aren't as fundamental improvements or inventions from the music making/recording point of view.

I'm sure anyone starting with DAWs now, finds those magazines a fantastic source

this sums it up very well. if i dont know or i forgot then a mag is
    good. i remember back when even having the opertunity to even
    see a "guitar player" magizine was a highlight for me.

price has got out of control on mags too. 4 5 6 bucks? however
    i was in the market today. waited forever behind two people buying
    lotery tickets. i wanted to say hey theres a mag on the rack about
    all the poor folk who dont read magizines.

jimmy

SF_Green
    RE: Disappearing Music Magazines 2009/02/23 05:21:07 (permalink)

Had we Alzeimers we'd be repeatedly impressed by the mags.

I'm doing my best at my day job to make sure that doesn't happen...

Now where did I leave my Tele?

AMD FX-8370, Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3,  Win7x64 SP1, 16Gb CorsairDDR3-1600, GeForce GTX 950 (390.65), SSD 525Gb (OS), SATA 3 & 1.5Tb, MOTU microlite, RME FireFace 800 (D 3.124, fw 2.77), UAD-2Q, Adam A7X, A-800 PRO, CC121
    Cubase Pro 10.0.5, SonarPt-2017.10 (x64), Reason10.2, Live 10.0.5 Suite, Wavelab Elements 9.5.40, Komplete10Ult, POD Farm2.5, Omnisphere2.5, BFD3, Alesis QS7.1, Arturia BeatStep Pro, POD HD500, Alesis ControlPad, ARP Omni, many things with strings. GrSltz My Studio
    space_cowboy
    RE: Disappearing Music Magazines 2009/02/23 08:46:06 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Marah

Print mags are getting hit. I don't happen to read any of the music/recording mags, but it's not just them. The March issue of Vogue 510 pages. Sounds like a lot, but it's easily 200 fewer than last year's March ish. Last September's was 840 pages. The March ELLE is only 422.

It's the economy.

Didn't Vogue slam VST3 technology a few issues back, or am I thinking of something else?

Just joshing
    My daughter reads some of those women's magazines. They look to me to be all ads. But Keyboard, EQ, EM... all used to have timely and in-depth reviews, techniques... lots of juicy articles. The article content is way down - probably in conjunction with the advertising.

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    space_cowboy
    RE: Disappearing Music Magazines 2009/02/23 08:48:06 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Kalle Rantaaho

Maybe.
    But if someone writes an article called "Get that beefy guitar sound" Or "How to get thundering toms" I am going to read it even if I think I know how.

Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Disappearing Music Magazines 2009/02/23 09:03:59 (permalink)
    times change space... I mean I subscribe to Computer Music , not exactly high end - high brow, but then some of us aren't interested in £800+ keyboards.. uber expensive mixing desks... also you get samples with it on a disk.. so thats part of it.

it's pretty broad , but it also contains a small chunk regarding linux / trackers / demo scene as well. I use sonar (obviously) / cubase / reason.. so there is always something of interest.. Although I'm guessing the magazine that probably covers sonar a lot is Sound on Sound (Craigs bit?)

papers / mags .. well are out of date quicker than any website. I mean yep I read CM , but I'll also look at kvr etc..

if you think about it there isn't THAT much that changes, I mean look at DAW's.. they have released them once every year or 2 years etc..

I won something from computer music, so that basically has covered my subscription for the 2 years anyway.. so that was pretty cool in itself.

joke is I enter the comps but never expect to win anything.. I won from CM and I won a small app from magix for doing a survey for em.. alas the big lottery win didn't come in that time ..hehe

space_cowboy
    RE: Disappearing Music Magazines 2009/02/23 09:14:56 (permalink)
    Yeah I dont buy Mix very often because it gives me bad GAS - GAS i cannot afford (though I really would like a 48 channel Neve desk). I used to subscribe to Computer Music but I didn't use the samples that much, so it was sort of basic without it. SOS really does get to new products quickly and almost always has a Sonar tricks page or two. Honestly, I subscribe to SOS because there are tons of good technical articles and they try to hit gear from all price points.

Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: Disappearing Music Magazines 2009/02/23 09:36:17 (permalink)

The March issue of Vogue 510 pages. Sounds like a lot, but it's easily 200 fewer than last year's March ish. Last September's was 840 pages. The March ELLE is only 422.

Perhaps they are just trying to be a bit more succinct I figure 200 pages less there doesn't necessarily indicate a reduction in worthwhile content.

The glossies here seem to be losing out to the more 'coffee break' type mags, ya know the ones, chock with "My partner was having an affair, little did I know it was with my Mother, now I'm about to become their love child's sister but I still love him!" type stories and the usual celebrity fashion disasters.

Mind you I must say I'm all for this kind of cultural evolution.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: Disappearing Music Magazines 2009/02/23 10:34:40 (permalink)
    What has happened to the rags of our industry? Is - as Igor said - print dead?

I out grew CM and FM years ago I never liked Keyboard or any of the others. SOS is a very different beast. It is the only mag I will read on a regular basis. TapeOP is new to me and I am still waiting for my first issue. CM is a bore and I don't think they can be trusted. Even SOS can be wrong but CM seems to actively seek questionable info. At least that is the way they were when I stooped reading it. I remember that CM got sued by SOS for plagiarism once.

Best
    John
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Disappearing Music Magazines 2009/02/23 11:32:48 (permalink)
    John, I guess they are all aimed at different markets.. I mean the very few times I bought Music Tech , I wasn't exactly impressed with the content. (thats CM's rival I guess)

CM and FM are from the same publisher, just targeted at different ends of the market. I think even the genre of music comes into it. a good example of it would be the use of samplers / synths and what DAW people use.

if you look at even the adverts that's always a good pointer.

The only gripe I have with some mags is, well they sometimes have a habit of quoting the RRP price of things, my mackies are a prime example.. the list price is far more expensive than what I paid for them (£300-400 more) .. so they were basing the reviews of load of monitors on that partly, which I found was really unfair in FM. If they had quoted the real price, it might be a very different story.

tricky, I guess it's a case of finding out what suits you. Although even with the mags themselves subscribing you get a fair old discount, just the downside is there maybe some issues that don't interest you.

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Disappearing Music Magazines 2009/02/23 11:39:15 (permalink)
    All print is going down - except books. Online subscription to them kinda defeats the point - I can't lay down on the couch to read an lcd. But that may change with the younger generation.

The print industry is no longer timely. Back in NYC in the 80s I was always out late and would pick up the early (in the morning after midnight) first print editions of the Times or Post when I came home. Read the news before it happened, I use to like to say. With the internet, you can read the news as it happens. Same with the mags. You can read about the release of a new music product before the mag is printed and shipped from the company itself or one of the clearing houses like Harmony Central.

The only purpose left to the mags has far as product is to coallate the releases (there is too much info available to keep up with it all unless you are full time) or to give it a thorough work out to help the consumer decide to buy it. Then you have to pick your consumer, which for the most part is a part-time music performer or recordist. The pros get their hands on the real things or have buddies in the system whose opinion they know and sometimes respect. So the mags need to publish for the part timer to begginer, so in-depth review is hard to balance - and expensive to produce and ship. SOS is about the only magazine left that does it. Most of tape ops reviews are short, tho they are a bunch of them, but sometime they do go a bit farther. The Juggernaut preamp is one that jumps to mind as a longer review. Pretty deep tho there is not that much to say about a preamp - one has to depend upon opinion of the sound on what it is used for. Anyway, it had me lusting.

Em still has how-to articles, tho they are getting shorter, too. EQ has some interesting small bands interviews. Keyboard used to be like SOS back in the last century, but has tended (I don't get it anymore) to revert back to keyboard players - pianos and such. Mix is a good way for the professional (live or studio) to keep up with equipement but business and you will find it in many pro studios (the publisher gives it away to them, along with EM and Remix). And most of the mags point to more online content, too - hard copy costs are just to high to support. except for Tape Op, which is free, cheap to produce (not glossy, no pics) and full of insider info interviews (I haven't heard of most of the bands they talk about) and more a labor of love.

SOS and tape op are the only publishing models left in this niche world - expensive, good and extensive or cheap and more niche oriented. There is probabably only room for one glossy - SOS, maybe Mix for pros only. Tape Op is a good model, but not much money in it, but it could be a good model for Hard Rock, or a punk or techno mag with a few macro reviews and localized info. And there is room for a begginers mag like Home Recording or CM, probably. Basic stuff that after a couple of years on gets tired or reading (How to hook up a keyboard to your Audigy!).

If you like hard copy, get a subscription so the mag can know it has a steady stream of money. I read last century somewheres that the entire market for recording audio gear did less volume of money than a large super market. That ain't a lot, seeing how many people depend on that small revenue stream (large manufactorers, botique guys, stores and mags).

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    space_cowboy
    RE: Disappearing Music Magazines 2009/02/23 12:26:08 (permalink)
    If you have a Kindle you can. I have one and love it. It isn't anygood for anything with pictures, but if you are just reading text it is near perfect. I have like 40 books on mine, plus several newspapers and a couple mags (I like Asimov's Sci Fi mag). And a dictionary, thesaurus, CIA World Fact Book (Handy if you want quick and dirty on countries), Bible, ... lots of stuff.

It is really handy when you travel. I get the WSJ anywhere in the US. I dont have to pick a book to take with me to read. I can buy on line through their whisper-net.
    ORIGINAL: AT

All print is going down - except books. Online subscription to them kinda defeats the point - I can't lay down on the couch to read an lcd. But that may change with the younger generation.

The print industry is no longer timely. Back in NYC in the 80s I was always out late and would pick up the early (in the morning after midnight) first print editions of the Times or Post when I came home. Read the news before it happened, I use to like to say. With the internet, you can read the news as it happens. Same with the mags. You can read about the release of a new music product before the mag is printed and shipped from the company itself or one of the clearing houses like Harmony Central.

The only purpose left to the mags has far as product is to coallate the releases (there is too much info available to keep up with it all unless you are full time) or to give it a thorough work out to help the consumer decide to buy it. Then you have to pick your consumer, which for the most part is a part-time music performer or recordist. The pros get their hands on the real things or have buddies in the system whose opinion they know and sometimes respect. So the mags need to publish for the part timer to begginer, so in-depth review is hard to balance - and expensive to produce and ship. SOS is about the only magazine left that does it. Most of tape ops reviews are short, tho they are a bunch of them, but sometime they do go a bit farther. The Juggernaut preamp is one that jumps to mind as a longer review. Pretty deep tho there is not that much to say about a preamp - one has to depend upon opinion of the sound on what it is used for. Anyway, it had me lusting.

Em still has how-to articles, tho they are getting shorter, too. EQ has some interesting small bands interviews. Keyboard used to be like SOS back in the last century, but has tended (I don't get it anymore) to revert back to keyboard players - pianos and such. Mix is a good way for the professional (live or studio) to keep up with equipement but business and you will find it in many pro studios (the publisher gives it away to them, along with EM and Remix). And most of the mags point to more online content, too - hard copy costs are just to high to support. except for Tape Op, which is free, cheap to produce (not glossy, no pics) and full of insider info interviews (I haven't heard of most of the bands they talk about) and more a labor of love.

SOS and tape op are the only publishing models left in this niche world - expensive, good and extensive or cheap and more niche oriented. There is probabably only room for one glossy - SOS, maybe Mix for pros only. Tape Op is a good model, but not much money in it, but it could be a good model for Hard Rock, or a punk or techno mag with a few macro reviews and localized info. And there is room for a begginers mag like Home Recording or CM, probably. Basic stuff that after a couple of years on gets tired or reading (How to hook up a keyboard to your Audigy!).

If you like hard copy, get a subscription so the mag can know it has a steady stream of money. I read last century somewheres that the entire market for recording audio gear did less volume of money than a large super market. That ain't a lot, seeing how many people depend on that small revenue stream (large manufactorers, botique guys, stores and mags).

AT
    RE: Disappearing Music Magazines 2009/02/23 13:21:01 (permalink)
    Space,

I've never figured out why those never took off. IBook.

But you can cover your face with it as you drift off.

:-)

@

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    space_cowboy
    RE: Disappearing Music Magazines 2009/02/23 13:46:37 (permalink)
    I just took my Kindle to lunch. We have a great relationship.

SF_Green
    RE: Disappearing Music Magazines 2009/02/23 15:23:17 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: space_cowboy

I just took my Kindle to lunch. We have a great relationship.

Uuuhh...Dude, get a room!
    post edited by SF_Green - 2009/02/23 15:29:16

space_cowboy
    RE: Disappearing Music Magazines 2009/02/23 15:24:53 (permalink)
    That was my Valentine's surprise.

AT
    RE: Disappearing Music Magazines 2009/02/23 15:43:45 (permalink)
    I don't know, space, kinda gags me up. I hope you took a booth, not at the bar. That is just so wrong.

@

pistolpete
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1584
    RE: Disappearing Music Magazines 2009/02/23 17:38:28 (permalink)
    After I think about it, I have been waiting a while to receive my copy of "Mix" magazine in the mail......
    ed97643
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1610
    RE: Disappearing Music Magazines 2009/02/23 21:49:02 (permalink)
    Very timely that you mention this. Several years ago (2002 or so) I had a one year subscription to Recording. I liked it, but not enough to renew. for Christmas this year, I received another 1 year subscription. Just received my first issue. I was like: "What, is this a newsletter now?"... roughly 72 pages. Noticeably thin. Tape Op (free) is ususally around 90. I went in my storage room and looked at my old Recording issues, all at around 90+ pages. Oh well.

Also, FWIW, unless you are a total beginner, skip Electronic Musician. Way too basic.

Tape Op is fun, but not much to learn there... just "fun" to read about other guys doing what we all do.

SOS seems cool, but I normally just catch the archives on line (also free).

Registered Cakewalk user since 1995
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: Disappearing Music Magazines 2009/02/23 22:14:48 (permalink)
    One of the coolest perks of attending NAMM is they set out stacks of every industry-related magazine you've ever heard of - and even more you haven't heard of - that are free for the taking. (It's also worth noting that these freebies are in the convention center lobby, so you don't actually need a pass to the show to scarf them up. Anybody in the LA area could swing by and snag a few.)

So when I go to the show, I always load up. I read them all, starting during the airplane ride home, although it takes a good month to wade through them all. I now have subscriptions to several magazines that I encountered for the first time at NAMM, so the marketing ploy does work. Plus, I try to pass them on to others when I'm done with them (anybody in the Seattle area want a stack?).

One such mag I picked up last year was called Virtual Instruments. Devoted to DAW plugins, the issue had a very good article on Ozone. The issue was so good that I thought a subscription was warranted, but shortly afterward they suspended their print magazine and went to online subscriptions. Bah.

Meanwhile, the old standbys (Mix, EQ, Recording, EM, Keyboard) are getting thinner and thinner. And it's not just the page count. The content is getting thinner, too. Too many product reviews that are so positive you wonder if they're objective at all.

Case in point: one magazine recently reviewed IK Multimedia's ARC. Even if you love it, you have to admit that there is a great deal of controversy surrounding it. The article, however, offered only one sentence acknowledging that ARC might not do everything the vendor claims, and instead flatly stated that ARC could replace acoustical treatment. This is not objective reporting.

This is a big part of why print magazines are failing. They are too dependent on advertisers and consequently almost never print negative or even truly objective reviews. Have you ever read any microphone review that didn't conclude with a "buy" recommendation?

Tape-Op is the notable exception. Too bad it's all biographical profiles of people with much cooler studios than yours. But that's OK, at least it's reasonably unbiased.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    ed97643
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1610
    RE: Disappearing Music Magazines 2009/02/23 22:21:33 (permalink)
    Quote: "Have you ever read any microphone review that didn't conclude with a "buy" recommendation?"

Or guitar amp, or preamp, or keyboard, etc. etc....

Quote: "Tape-Op is the notable exception. Too bad it's all biographical profiles of people with much cooler studios than yours."

Actually, that's my one odd thing with tape op; they come off in their editorial tone (2/3rds of the time) as tape snobs, walking the razor's edge of discrediting a basement daw guy like me compared to the analog denizens (while simultaneously endorsing the magic possibilities of the DAW.. but always being sure to say "but I'd have rather used 24 tk 2" if I could...), then meanwhile another 2/3rds of the interviews are with guys who did their entire last CD through PT LE, using only SM 57s as mics... in an untreated city loft... crazy.

Registered Cakewalk user since 1995
    Cheeto
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: Disappearing Music Magazines 2009/02/24 04:28:55 (permalink)
    It would be nice if there was a magazine strictly for Sonar users, I would subscribe to it in a heartbeat.

Be nice to see it on the list of "appearing" magazines. Besides I could use the undistributed enlightenment whilst upon the porcelain throne.
    space_cowboy
    RE: Disappearing Music Magazines 2009/02/24 10:38:50 (permalink)
    Meanwhile, the old standbys (Mix, EQ, Recording, EM, Keyboard) are getting thinner and thinner. And it's not just the page count. The content is getting thinner, too. Too many product reviews that are so positive you wonder if they're objective at all
    My point exactly.

luvligirl2005
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 111
    RE: Disappearing Music Magazines 2009/02/28 08:00:04 (permalink)
    Computer Music is one I subscribe to and I've learned heaps from it. Plus it always comes with tonnes of free VSTs! But I'm just a beginner, I think it is aimed at beginners. Though by reading it you can prgress....plus I like the reviews. And I had my star letter in it, got a synth collection thing with MiniMoog, Mellotron and Oddity things in it, lol can't remember as I've since sold it on lol. But it was worth £300 or something at the time.

www.soundclick.com/leannepattinson
    www.myspace.com/luvligirl84

Sonar 6 PE
    Athlon 64 dual core with 2 GB RAM
    Edirol UA-1EX
    Casio PRIVIA PX-310
    Endless VST synths........
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: Disappearing Music Magazines 2009/02/28 10:16:31 (permalink)
    Anyone here notice today's announcement about the newspaper business this morning?

Poof!

Curiously, micro press news papers that actually focus on and report true local news and scale their businesses to represent the actual amount of unique (rather than generic or syndicated) content they provide seem to be doing well.

best,
    mike

space_cowboy
    RE: Disappearing Music Magazines 2009/02/28 12:03:40 (permalink)
    Yep
    The Houston Chronicle is a quarter of its former size.

The NY Times cost more than a share of stock in it costs.

Rocky Mountain News closed Friday

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1