Helpful Reply*Discovering* Chord Progressions

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
2010/09/01 02:57:08 (permalink)

*Discovering* Chord Progressions

I'm lately convinced that exemplary chord progressions and/or beatz oft allow melody/inspiration to flow faster for singing new songs ad-hoc. 

IIRC: By abstracting prior artist's 'excellent' vocs, chords (and beatz) ... *new* songs arise by you and I ... like majic.

Genre-Chord-generator programs ... like BiaB (band in a box), EWQL's Storm Drum Performance MIDIs, and Sonar's BeatScape have helped the creative sparks to fly ... not to mention my Fantom X keyboard with its chord memories.

I'm curious how you *discover* ... select, elect, protect, etc. ... painstakingly or not ... fresh chord progressions for your sweetest 'original' songs.

I realize every song is a different evolution but hope to rejoice and learn from your strategies ...

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
Legion
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1986
Re:*Discovering* Chord Progressions 2010/09/01 03:10:50 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
For me most of the times it just comes to me. I hum a progression and then program it, or I hum a melody/bassline and then see what chord progression it turns out into (sometimes making a few adjustments). I have some knowledge of how chord progressions are 'supposed' to be but I feel if it sounds good to me humming it, then it's good enough for other people as well.

I might ad that I'm probably not the most advanced when it comes to chord projections etc though and go more on feeling and with the flow I get than with whatever knowledge I may or may not have. I truly respect people with 'knowledge' in musical rules as well thoug and try to learn as much as I can even if I might choose not to follow it. To break a rule one must be awre of the rule in the first place

Sadly very reduced studio equipment as it is... ASUS G750J, 8 gb RAM, Win8, Roland Quad Capture.
Guitarhacker
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re:*Discovering* Chord Progressions 2010/09/01 09:05:14 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Interesting thoughts...

I write quite a bit using BB as a sketch pad..... it allows me to quickly put a chord progression down and "try it before I buy it".  I can use different styles on the same progression.... and sometime it works and sometimes not.  This is how I come up with some ideas that have turned into songs.... playing around with chords, and the muse hits from the right direction and suddenly I'm writing a song that I had no previous thoughts about.

Other times I will have an idea in my head and use BB to flesh it out....in this case knowing the tempo, style, and so on.... I can quickly get a chord pattern down for verses and choruses. In this case, the song may have been written with acoustic guitar and the lyric written into a notebook pad.

I think, personally, BB has been one of my favorite tools to use in composing due to a number of factors. I like that I can easily transpose from key to key in a matter of seconds, and I can try different chords.... instead of a plain old C chord, I can easily change to Cmaj, C2, C6, C7, C13, Caug, Cdim, C7b9, and so on.... of course, most of those are not interchangeable in teh context of the song.... but popping the right chord in the right place will take the song composition in a totally new direction, and that has happened on a number of occasions. Oh yeah... I can work on music in the same room as the family watching TV..... using my headphones. So they can watch Glee and I can do something useful with that time.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
Slugbaby
Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4172
Re:*Discovering* Chord Progressions 2010/09/01 09:12:12 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
I "discover" chord progressions by either flubbing a vocal line or guitar chord, and liking the result.

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
NW Smith
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 565
Re:*Discovering* Chord Progressions 2010/09/01 09:34:57 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
As a guitar player, I have found that playing chords and potential chord progressions on a keyboard/piano has helped open up the sonic possibilities of a song.  Using a keyboard has helped me find different chord voicings and interesting harmonies that I would not have found composing  only on a guitar. 

My Website:
http://www.marwoodwilliams.com
My Music on Bandcamp:
http://marwoodwilliams.bandcamp.com

Equipment: Intel Core i3, 3.2 GHz, Sonar Platinum, Ramsa WR-S4416 Mixer,  Focusrite  Scarlett 18i6
Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re:*Discovering* Chord Progressions 2010/09/01 10:15:27 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Guitarhacker

Interesting thoughts...

I write quite a bit using BB as a sketch pad..... it allows me to quickly put a chord progression down and "try it before I buy it".  I can use different styles on the same progression.... and sometime it works and sometimes not.  This is how I come up with some ideas that have turned into songs.... playing around with chords, and the muse hits from the right direction and suddenly I'm writing a song that I had no previous thoughts about.

Other times I will have an idea in my head and use BB to flesh it out....in this case knowing the tempo, style, and so on.... I can quickly get a chord pattern down for verses and choruses. In this case, the song may have been written with acoustic guitar and the lyric written into a notebook pad.

I think, personally, BB has been one of my favorite tools to use in composing due to a number of factors. I like that I can easily transpose from key to key in a matter of seconds, and I can try different chords.... instead of a plain old C chord, I can easily change to Cmaj, C2, C6, C7, C13, Caug, Cdim, C7b9, and so on.... of course, most of those are not interchangeable in teh context of the song.... but popping the right chord in the right place will take the song composition in a totally new direction, and that has happened on a number of occasions. Oh yeah... I can work on music in the same room as the family watching TV..... using my headphones. So they can watch Glee and I can do something useful with that time.

This is pretty much EXACTLY the same thing I do!  I love using BIAB to flesh out my chord progressions!  and as herb says, it's so easy to change chords from plain old root triads to alternates!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
guitardog247
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1226
Re:*Discovering* Chord Progressions 2010/09/01 13:40:44 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Bang out chords on the guitar, with theory in the back of my head. Then, throw in subsitutions for the obvious, flatting a chord, playing a secondary dominant to create a temporary key change. Modal playing.

Bang on the keyboard, to discover things I wouldn't do on the guitar.

But for the most part, I just play "cowboy chords". It's melody hooks that I'm trying to "discover", not really chord progressions. The chords can inspire melody for sure, I strum to find melodies. But it's amazing how many melodies can be done over just cowboy chords.

Sonar, Les Paul Studio, FTU, puter, plugs.........
marcos69
Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4950
Re:*Discovering* Chord Progressions 2010/09/01 13:54:06 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
1.  Usually I'm inspired by something I hear on tv or such.

2.  By noodling.

3.  By a bolt of lightning out of the blue.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
Guitarhacker
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re:*Discovering* Chord Progressions 2010/09/01 15:20:38 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
I've been playing guitar for decades and piano ...well longer actually but not as seriously. Still, with all the chords I know it's hard to find just the right chord sometimes.... searching the chord book or chord computer, while handy, breaks the flow.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re:*Discovering* Chord Progressions 2010/09/01 17:05:05 (permalink)
My first chord progression discovery was when I got my first tape recorder, flipped over the tape and played "House of the Rising Sun" backward. It sounded cool so I wrote the progression down and tried to use it in a song. To my surprise, the chords spelled out "ebe cage bge cage", which I now realize is a hidden message identifying Nicholas Cage as an agent of Satan.

Oops, sorry, I just noticed this was in Techniques, not Coffee House. My apologies.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
brundlefly
  • Total Posts : 14250
Re:*Discovering* Chord Progressions 2010/09/01 18:34:20 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
I "let my fingers do the walking". Literally just letting them fall where they will in different positions until I hear a couple-few chords in succession that I like, usually along with a rhythmic riff of some sort. Usually those two or three chords will naturally lead to others, some familar, some not. Sometimes I have to hunt for the voicing of the next chord I'm "hearing" vaguely in my head. 

Like others, I also take advantage of many "happy accidents" that occur when I'm getting familiar with a new piece. Since improvising for me is all about muscle memory, when I make a good-sounding mistake, I can usually tell my hands to repeat that mistake the next time around without a second thought. Sometimes the "mistake" is the voicing I wanted all along, and was not quite getting right.

The other thing that happens is I have dozens (probably hundreds at this point) of snippets of things in the back of my head that never went anywhere, and I will find that an old snippet fits right in as the chorus or other section of a new piece.

I wish I could meld some more theory with this trial and error approach, as I sometimes get "stuck", and can't figure out where to go next, or how to return a progression artfully to the root. Also, it's hard to break away from familiar progressions sometimes, and a little theory would probably help. But what little theory I do know never comes into play. I don't usually even have any idea what key I'm in until I go back later and look at what I'm doing.

EDIT: Some miscellaneous examples of the work product of this "method" can be found here: http://soundclick.com/onehandclapping

post edited by brundlefly - 2010/09/01 18:44:58
brundlefly
  • Total Posts : 14250
Re:*Discovering* Chord Progressions 2010/09/01 18:38:58 (permalink)
bitflipper

To my surprise, the chords spelled out "ebe cage bge cage", which I now realize is a hidden message identifying Nicholas Cage as an agent of Satan. 

Oops, sorry, I just noticed this was in Techniques, not Coffee House. My apologies.

Philip
Re:*Discovering* Chord Progressions 2010/09/02 01:39:32 (permalink)
I've read all your ponderings intently (Brundlefly, GuitarHacker, Beagle, GuitarDog, Marcus, Legion, NW_S, Bit) and seriously sympathize with you all.  Your thoughts are all profound and inspiring to be sure.

I got immersed on my Fantom controller and BiaB (primarily 'cowboy' strings and piano interpolations mostly) yesterday ... trying to establish 'sweet' AABA + verse/chorus tensions ... for:

1) Happy Accidents
2) 'Cool/sweet' alternate chord relations.
3) Dramatic pomp within the chord progressions only (knowing full well that vox melodies and counters would joyfully burst forth later)

... with painstaking trial and error ... trusting beatz only when these conditions were met.  I had to take breaks oft to hum, digest, and/or refine chord hooks.

Of course I've done the opposite in a mix or 2 for fast orchestral magic:
ie, starting with pomp-beatz/drone samplings 1st ... and praying that the chords/melodist(s) arise ad-hoc.  

In sum:
(1) beatz samplings and (2) BiaB (MIDI) performance-samplings are my urgent laboratories ... for potent ad-hoc vox-songs.

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

SongCraft
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3902
Re:*Discovering* Chord Progressions 2010/09/02 02:40:01 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Yeah I'm like that too; just let my fingers do the walking, feeling my way.

I can sit at a nice grand piano for hours on end, the sirens going off, TV-alert; everyone told to quickly take shelter in the basement but not me I'm lost in another world just playing that piano, nothing will drag me away!!

Same for guitar, and I like to try unusual techniques to get a different sound - expression.

Experimentation is great, love to toss in unusual changes, maybe just one chord change in the next round rather than rpt the same prog over and over and over, yet other times playing just the one chord but with a melodic bassline evolving, changing.

I have also composed song parts (chords, melodies) in a dream.  I have composed whilst on a long drive through the country side, humming riffs, chords-melodies, tapping out beats. Then I can't wait to get home and translate that on the piano or guitar.

-

Jonbouy
  • Total Posts : 22562
Re:*Discovering* Chord Progressions 2010/09/02 05:23:12 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Great post Philip and a good body of thoughts to draw from in reply already.

I think initially I wanted to get away from 'standard' and often heard progressions and often ended up with weird and convoluted results.  I've done a lot of research on song construction since and realise now why many progressions are classed as 'standard', simply put many of them work extremely well, and sometimes its all to easy to over-think things in an intellectualised quest to be original when often sweetly succinct can be the key.

Most of that research often leads me back to the '60's and '70's not particularly because of nostalgia but because it was a period of time where many academically trained writers were brought in by the glut of performers (and entrepreneurs) that had no clue about writing but wanted this new aspect of fame (or shot at great riches), by being a pop star (or representing one).

Although granted there has been much well written music since, the emphasis changed toward a less formal written structure and more of creating and combining exciting sounds, or maybe just a groove, for defining that which causes impact to the listener.  Not only that more performers that were not necessarily great songwriters took on the role of writing thus somewhat reducing the underlying strength of the 3 minute pop song, which I consider to be an art form in itself.  That 20 year period for me has to be the pinnacle of the genre, where the raw and fearless talent of these wannabe pop stars met with the commercially aware, very sophisticated and professional writers that had previously had successful careers in film and theatre and were now pioneering in this new field.

FWIW, but I'm merely a rookie apprentice to the great writers that have gone before, I commonly use one of three approaches to arrive at the underlying progression, one is I get a melody in my head which I will get down as a single note line, I'll then add a nice harmony line to that which will usually dictate the key and thus the chords to give emphasis from there.

Secondly I'll produce a rhythm track of just drums and bass and when that sounds cool enough and starts 'speaking' to me the chords will grow from that bass line, by which time although not always, a melody will be implied.

Thirdly I'll just try out different chord combinations directly and spacings between them, some great tools are available that have already been mentioned will do that job if like me you are not adept on a keyboard or guitar.  From a progression I'm satisfied with I'll then work on a bass line to give a sense of rhythm and feel and again hopefully it will suggest some melodic content from there.

Lyrics for me always come from the music and not the other way around.  A feature in the tune usually 'sings' a title or a theme which I can then flesh out the subject from.

post edited by Jonbouy - 2010/09/02 05:37:35

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re:*Discovering* Chord Progressions 2010/09/02 06:03:51 (permalink)
I just listen to Sun Ra.

Jonbouy
  • Total Posts : 22562
Re:*Discovering* Chord Progressions 2010/09/02 07:53:50 (permalink)
mike_mccue

I just listen to Sun Ra.

Hippy!...

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
Philip
Re:*Discovering* Chord Progressions 2010/09/04 16:14:37 (permalink)
Jonbouy

I've done a lot of research on song construction since and realise now why many progressions are classed as 'standard', simply put many of them work extremely well, and sometimes its all to easy to over-think things in an intellectualised quest to be original when often sweetly succinct can be the key.

Most of that research often leads me back to the '60's and '70's

... Not only that more performers that were not necessarily great songwriters took on the role of writing thus somewhat reducing the underlying strength of the 3 minute pop song, which I consider to be an art form in itself. 

... That 20 year period for me has to be the pinnacle of the genre, where the raw and fearless talent of these wannabe pop stars met with the commercially aware, very sophisticated and professional writers that had previously had successful careers

FWIW, but I'm merely a rookie apprentice to the great writers that have gone before, I commonly use one of three approaches to arrive at the underlying progression, one is I get a melody in my head which I will get down as a single note line, I'll then add a nice harmony line to that which will usually dictate the key and thus the chords to give emphasis from there.

Secondly I'll produce a rhythm track of just drums and bass and when that sounds cool enough and starts 'speaking' to me the chords will grow from that bass line, by which time although not always, a melody will be implied.

Thirdly I'll just try out different chord combinations directly and spacings between them, some great tools are available that have already been mentioned will do that job if like me you are not adept on a keyboard or guitar.  From a progression I'm satisfied with I'll then work on a bass line to give a sense of rhythm and feel and again hopefully it will suggest some melodic content from there.

Lyrics for me always come from the music and not the other way around.  A feature in the tune usually 'sings' a title or a theme which I can then flesh out the subject from.
Well spoken Jonbuoy, IMHO!  Like the other great posts here; I've read and re-read yours.

SongCraft:
Like you I take from my dreams (1st thing in the morning): not just counterpoints but Middles, refrains, choruses, etc.

I find if I don't quickly record it and the chords ... it will elude forever.
Everyone:
Thank you for patiently chiming and demonstrating/validating the chords issues, FWIW.
post edited by Philip - 2010/09/04 16:19:37

Philip  

EasTexGuy
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 160
Re:*Discovering* Chord Progressions 2010/09/05 06:16:08 (permalink)
I'm not sure I have any inspiration left in me... but I can certainly be impressed and uplifted to the point of motivation towards trying by listening to others.

http://www.break.com/index/amazing-young-guitar-player.html

My Rig: Sonar X1 Studio - Vista 32 on AMD Quad Core @ 3ghz w/4 gig ram - Lexicon Lambda - Assorted Nuts, Bolts & Plugins - More Talent on order as well.
droddey
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5147
Re:*Discovering* Chord Progressions 2010/09/05 13:19:46 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
The thing about playing on a different instrument from your main one (as in the keyboards for a guitarist example above) is that it gets you out of the cliches of your instrument that you know so well. For example, Springsteen wrote all those songs on Born to Run on piano, even though he's a good guitarist and a basic painist. It seems wierd since it's pretty heavily guitar oriented music. But it forced him to think about writing songs, instead of about playing guitar, and that's kind of the point of this type of thing.

The other one, which I've suggested before, is don't write chords. Record a melody. Go back and put a bass line to it. Go back and put another line to it where you never play the same notes as in the other two lines. And then go back and do a fourth line the same way, maybe just throwing in a note here and there.

You never know what you'll come up with. And you'll very naturally tend to create leading and suspended notes and inversions and color notes that normally you'd have to work pretty hard to come up with. You might not end up keeping it all, but you may find some real gems in there that you can then examine, figure out what chords they are, and use them.

If you really know theory you could do it by just sitting down and playing the chords and thinking them through, but then again you'd be back into the first issue above, of knowing what you are doing and therefore working within what you know. Doing it the above way, you purely do what sounds interesting without thinking about what you are going to end up with, so you can come up with things you'd never actually think up proactively. Even if you have the theory to do something like that, you might not have ever actually thought of that particular progression.

And you might choose to keep it more in the form of multiple lines instead of strumming or playing chords. That's a lot of what's bad about music today. Nothing wrong with jangly pop songs. I like them as much as anyone, but something that has more of an orchestral arrangement within the context of a pop or rock type vibe can be interesting and different and allow for a lot more space in the mix since most of the parts will be single line, and you can have long held notes that the rest of the parts then spin around for a while and that kind of thing, which you can't really do so well with strummed type chord progressions.

Anyway, just a thought...

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
www.charmedquark.com
Philip
Re:*Discovering* Chord Progressions 2010/09/05 18:53:38 (permalink)
Droddey, I appreciate you methods and have used them in the past ... just humming melodies and putting lyrics plus instruments to them ... is a fav for many of us.

And yes, most of us don't understand the circle of 5ths, an Emaj9 vs. C chord, VII-->I-->VI-->?, etc.  Perhaps 1/15 of us do.

But established chord progressions and melodic beatz are such a cheat-fav to getting an ad-hoc lyric-melodies recorded fast (... albeit with the usual hours of polishing to follow)!

Chord progessions are just another a beautiful way to sing something new out of the blue.

OTOH, chord progression and Beatz programs (like Beatscape and BiaB) do need emotional singers and wot not to begin with. 

Chord progressions require a song-writer-singer who's not afraid to sling his rev'd up vox around proven chord progressions to churn up something new.

Surely chord progressions + style add up to something besides elevator music.

Philip  

droddey
Re:*Discovering* Chord Progressions 2010/09/05 21:52:44 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
We could have the Circle of 15ths. Now... if you need to know the next chord, you go around this direction by 15 steps, and you'll have found someone who can explain to you how to find the next chord. If it's a flat chord you are looking for, go 15 steps in the other direction.

Dean Roddey
www.charmedquark.com
jsaras
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2642
Re:*Discovering* Chord Progressions 2010/09/17 10:27:35 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
"Knowledge must lead intuition" - Bill Evans.

For me, the answer has been a study of Lyle Murphy's System of Horizontal Composition based on Equal Intervals, a.k.a. "The Equal Interval System" (EIS).   Although the title of the course sounds confusing and grandiose, it is the only harmonic system I know of that whose basis is the overtone series and writing harmonies linearly, one line at a time.  It's actually easier than traditional theory and yet encompasses it as well.  Voice-leading is everything!

PM me if you want to know more about it.

J

http://www.audiorecordingandservices.com ("one minute free" mastering)

http://tinyurl.com/3n6kj (free Sonar mixing template and Ozone mastering preset)
jsaras
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2642
Re:*Discovering* Chord Progressions 2010/09/17 17:14:04 (permalink)
Just to whet your appetite, this is a start of a song that I created using mostly the material from the first 25 pages of the EIS course: www.audiorecordingandservices.com/p26AltRoots.mp3.  It reminds me of some of Wayne Shorter's stuff.

J

http://www.audiorecordingandservices.com ("one minute free" mastering)

http://tinyurl.com/3n6kj (free Sonar mixing template and Ozone mastering preset)
montezuma
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2520
Re:*Discovering* Chord Progressions 2010/09/17 18:36:09 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Can some people mention and link to a song they have done that they think has a great chord progression?
timidi
Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5449
Re:*Discovering* Chord Progressions 2010/09/17 18:56:08 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
I am more interested in the melody and vibe than a chord progression. Actually, I don't think the chord progression is of much importance. I still think there is a lot of original interesting stuff that can been done with G C D. 

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

droddey
Re:*Discovering* Chord Progressions 2010/09/17 20:00:17 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Yeh, another interesting scheme I've played around with a few times, but need to try some more, is to just pick some chord progressions for your song, play the whole song through as a guide track on guitar or something. Then track various other instruments, none of them playing chords, all playing single lines that just work against the chords you've chosen. Don't play roots generally, and try to do various passing lines and such.

Then, at the end, just remove the guide track. So all you have now are the lines that worked against the chord progression, but not the chord progression itself, since the various instruments lines might not actually be playing the whole chord that underlied them or some inversion of it or some interesting expansion of it. So it can suddenly sound a lot more interesting. And even if it is playing those original progressions ultimately, it may not really sound like it is.

Dean Roddey
www.charmedquark.com
kev11111111111111
Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1772
Re:*Discovering* Chord Progressions 2010/09/18 07:20:04 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
I think the longer you've played,the harder it is to discover new progressions ?! More and more I try to keep things simple.If I can harmonise a tune using I,IV and V ( in the key of C that would be C,FG7) then thats what I'll do !!! If I want to try something more flashy I'll start with something simple like I,IV,V and add differant tones to make it more complex.These tones could be extensions (6ths,9ths etc), alterations ( Augmented 5ths,Dimished 5ths etc) or chords made from leading tones (Each note lays a semitone away from the destination chord for example D flat falls to C, D sharp leads up to E, F sharp leads to G, C flat falls to B flat ) The best progressions in my mind don't have to be complicated or original - they just have to flow and fit the context of the music.
Kev
Ps Droddey that sounds like a good work method !!
No How
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5180
Re:*Discovering* Chord Progressions 2010/09/21 21:04:51 (permalink)
jsaras

Voice-leading is everything!

That is the kernal.  Building a song around chords instead of having a melodic structure is putting the cart before the horse.  Chords are harmonies.  If you've got a melody and you have it moving (as they'll do) the melody will offer chord options.  If you've settled for a chord in a melody then as the melody moves the chordal harmonies all act as vines reaching for the next branch to unfold on.
For each melody there are a whole host of options in harmonic movements but usually we reach for our tried and true chord shift instead of saying "hey, what if i try only moving the 3rd up a half step instead of the root and the 3rd and then move the root up a half step with the next melodic plateau. 
Sometimes we like to keep the chords predicatable only to pull the rug out later in a song like the middle or maybe an off the wall harmony in the last verse or chorus to really bring a new dimension into the listener's cozy ear-set.
Sometimes the simplest chords (I-V-I-iv) will supply the most power if the melody calls for attention to it's verticalness or it's emotion.....then BANG, slip a VII into the chord movement and really swoosh em'. 
 Everything should be a dance.  He moves, she moves, he moves, she moves, they twirl and sway, etc.....
Depending on the kind of beer and how tipsy the fingers are there seems to be no limits to these measly 12 tones.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
D.J. ESPO
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 127
Re:*Discovering* Chord Progressions 2010/09/21 22:50:20 (permalink)
No How;

I think a whole lot of folks do start with the chords , and , thats probably too bad  sometimes !!!!!!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1