Helpful ReplyDisk Usage and file mngmt

Author
robbyk
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 705
2010/08/04 16:46:39 (permalink)

Disk Usage and file mngmt

I'm on only my 5th or so major song production since acquiring Sonar Producer and am loving it and learning more each time with a lot more sure to come.

Today I did a search in this forum for disk usage, errors and such and found some very informative threads. I have suffered dropouts in the past productions as disk usage hit the redzone so I have been very deliberate in learning about and reducing those problems eg DMA, speed of the hard drive, partitioning for audio, etc 

Still I am having a difficulty getting my head around it all.

On my current song I have about 50 tracks heading into the final vocals. Of the tracks roughly 20 are dry recordings [as of yet unused inputs] for guitar [loading the wet for now, will tweak at mixing] or midi alternate takes. I had these tracks frozen and hidden. I was running about <5% cpu usage but running >50% disc usage with buffers raised. I would suffer 1 or 2 dropouts a day, perhaps as Norton tried to sqeeze back into life. I felt this is pretty good but way worse with the buffers down to default so that is a main issue.

Of interest is I decided to archive all the unused tracks and my disc usage today is way down, between 25 & 50%.

So I am now preparing the all important vocal sessions and I am doing a Save As.

My question, is there anything about this that will relate to disk errors? If I save my new project to the same folder, will the audio files be duplicated, thus increasing the complexity of the project leading to disc errors, etc.

Or is this totally irrelevant?

Thanks for the listen and any advice is much appreciated as I attempt to understand this more fully.

Robby K

"I'm just workin' on a good life, the way it is."

Best, Robby K 

PC Specs: Dell XPS Tower, Intel Core i5 7400 CPU 3 GHz @, 8 GB RAM
Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Line 6 TonePort UX1, ART Tube MP, JBL LSR2325P 5" Bi-Amped Monitors
Software: Windows 10 Home, Sonar 8.5.3 Producer, Sonar Producer X1, Sonar Producer X2 expanded, Sonar Producer X3, Ableton Live 8.3.4, Ozone, Alloy, Toontrack, Podfarm, IK Multimedia, Garritan, Melodyne, Antares, Bias, Rob Papen, OhmForce, Don't Crack... 

Music 
Studio
CJaysMusic
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 30423
Re:Disk Usage and file mngmt 2010/08/04 16:54:48 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Your Recording and playback I/O buffers in options/audio-/advanced play a role in your disk % usage.

You also should be using a 7200RPm hard drive and this hard drive should have audio only on it. That means that you should not be using your c program drive to store and stream your audio. you should have a 2nd hard drive for audio only and you should be using CWP and per project folders.

To get back to my first one. The lower your I/O Rec and playback buffer sea, the higher your disk usage will be. The higher these buffers are, the lower your disk usage will be. That's said, you still should have a 2nd drive for audio only

So raise those 2 settings to 512. Default is 128. See if 512 helps, if not, raise to 1024
Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
Audio Blog
robbyk
Re:Disk Usage and file mngmt 2010/08/04 19:53:25 (permalink)
Cj

Yup what you say is the case, as I researched this forum today I gleaned a lot and I do need to get a dedicated hard drive, but the current hard drive is 7200 [750 GB, 66% free, pc is for recording only], my buffers are at 512, etc and as I mentioned I'm happy with the disc usage I'm currently at for the complexity of this project [35 running tracks, 9 1/2 minute song].

That being said, I am wondering if doing a File/Save As will copy files, increase the size, complexity of the audio folder and thus lead to disk errors.

Incidentally, I read many of your posts earlier this morning and learned a lot. Thanks! And you have a wonderful website as well!

Robby K
CJaysMusic
Re:Disk Usage and file mngmt 2010/08/04 20:00:43 (permalink)
Doing a file save as will not lead to disk errors. All file save as does is save your work with a different file name.
Its a very basic function thats been around since windows was invented
Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
Audio Blog
johnnyV
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2677
Re:Disk Usage and file mngmt 2010/08/04 20:05:00 (permalink)
What I do is Create a new folder for each song from the explorer window before I even open sonar.
I then open SOnar and with my template and use "save as " to browse back to that new folder and then I save the song as its name. You need to do this before you record! This will create a audio folder within that folder. 
I can then copy the song folder to a flash drive and move the entire song to another computer.
There is also a "enable song version" toggle ( somewhere) sorry not at DAW right now. Not sure how it saves so never have used it. I believe it creates a new folder for each version but not sure.

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
 Scarlett 6i6
Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

CJaysMusic
Re:Disk Usage and file mgmt 2010/08/04 20:08:21 (permalink) ☄ Helpful

You need to do this before you record
No you dont!! Sonar automatically makes new folder for each project!!!! when you have per project folders enabled, as you should and use CWD 

When you start a new project, sonar creates a new folder for that project. when you do a save as, it saves to that same folder

Cj
. Not sure how it saves so never have used it. I believe it creates a new folder for each version but not sure.

No it doesn't! Unless you tell it too manually. It will automatically save to the same folder
post edited by CJaysMusic - 2010/08/04 20:10:57

Audio Blog
robbyk
Re:Disk Usage and file mgmt 2010/08/04 22:32:30 (permalink)
Thanks everyone, sounds like I'm in the clear. Good to go.

I was mostly concerned with the two checkboxes "Copy all audio with project" (default) vs "Create one file per clip" since there was discussion in the past forums that even freezing a track creates further disc usage since it rendered out a copy.

As I mentioned I substantially reduced my disk usage by archiving the unused tracks so I was worried about creeating another 50 by doing the file / save as on this important project. Please note, this wasn't borne out in my past experience as I am usually quite a fanatic about save as with every major step forward, tracking, mixing, mastering with approximately 10 -15 saves per project until completion. All of the resulting audio does reside in the same folder with separate cwp and I usually saw disc usage drop as I simplified each save with rendering audio, etc.

Again, much thanks!
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1