Distorted Reality

Author
b rock
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8717
2005/08/13 00:19:58 (permalink)

Distorted Reality

"Distortion. It's not just for just for guitarists anymore." -Anita Bryant

Here's a couple of primers on what's actually going on when you add distortion to your sound in a controlled manner. The first one here is a little easier on the brain cells, and has an interactive Java applet to help you visualize the concepts. The second here has more of an electronic slant to its terminology, and real-life comparisons to popular stomp-box and amp configurations.

These are good reads if you're looking to see how the integrated FX works in PSYN II, and how to use VST plugins to open up the harmonic series for synths with a handful of waveforms. For that matter, vocals and drums aren't out of the question. To help you to get there, download the freebie Tridirt for some deep options, or go to Izotope to get a look at the holy grail of programmable distortion plugins: Trash.

3 Replies Related Threads

oroboros
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 901
    RE: Distorted Reality 2005/08/13 03:32:35 (permalink)
    Oh, my, Trash is nice. D**n it, visit forums=product lust. You're all working for my credit card company, I know it ...

To think, at one time P5 was a $429 MSRP app.

I think that technology and music has always been together, and I think music is science, anyway. - Vangelis

The Other P5 Forum
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Distorted Reality 2005/08/13 09:51:45 (permalink)
    visit forums=product lust
    I'm going to the poorhouse, and I'm taking all of you along for the ride with me. Actually, I've had Trash for quite some time. It's great for all of your general distortion needs; highly programmable and a ton of presets available on the web site. I wouldn't recommend this plugin for anyone looking for a straight-up amp emulator, though.

Hey, first I went the educational route with some links, then posted the location of a freebie after that. I didn't slip in the GLA link until the very end. <g>
    Chris in Indy
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 484
    RE: Distorted Reality 2005/08/13 10:28:18 (permalink)
    Very nice read. Thanks.

Chris in Indy ............... 
    Tascam US 2000, Behringer Power Pro 8, Akai MPD 18, Yamaha MG 82cx, Mackie MCU Pro, Mackie MR 8's, M Audio BX-5's, M Audio 61 es, Yamaha MM6, Roland SH-201, KRK-KMS 8400's, Shure SRH 1840's, Audio Technica AT 2020's, Windows 8.1 64 bit, Sonar Platinum, SoundForge 10, East/West Libraries, GPO, Real Guitar, Project 5v2, FM-7, 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1