Distortion on playback

Author
Deadly
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 15
2011/02/14 11:39:51 (permalink)

Distortion on playback

I have just recorded a song with 8 tracks on it.  1 midi drums the rest all audio tacks. when I got to the 5 track I started to get a bit of crackling /interferance from the 4 previous tracks whilst recording track 5. This crackling got worse with every new track recorded until I got to track 8 when I could hardly hear anything I had already done. I tried muting tracks, turning tracks down etc no success. Anyway I bounced all the tracks down to one track and then moved that into another piece of software I have, Magix audio cleaning lab, so I can convert to mp3 ( yes I know I can do it in GTP but I haven't puzzled that out yet!) anyway once its in there all crackling has gone and it converts to mp3 with no problem.
So why the crackling? Is it because there are too many audio tracks? Any help would be appreciated as trying to mix 8 tracks when you can barely hear them is somewhat difficult.

Thanks

4 Replies Related Threads

xxxlambo
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 68
    Re:Distortion on playback 2011/02/14 16:33:13 (permalink)
    What are you using to record and listen to playback with?  Also how are you recording into GTP4, using a mic or a direct line?  Knowing your system a little bit might help a little as well, especially your audio interface. 

I can tell you that I've had more than 8 audio tracks going at once and I haven't had issue so it can be done, we'll need more info though to get to the source of your problem. 

Without knowing much else I have 2 things you might be able to go on.  First make sure you patched GTP4 to the latest and greatest.  Maybe there was a known issue that got patched. 

Next thing to check is the levels of all your tracks, make sure you aren't going into the red on any of them as well as your final output meters.  If you are excessively going into the red that is probably your problem.  Start quiet then slowly increase the volume. 

Another thing to check is if freezing the tracks helps.  Perhaps your system is having a hard time keeping up in real time and that could be why when you mix down everything for another program it sounds fine but playing it at real time is not working as intended.  By freezing the track it applies the effects and leaves the cpu and memory for other things.

Give those a shot if they don't work come back with some more info

Good Luck
    Matt

Deadly
    Re:Distortion on playback 2011/02/15 09:44:42 (permalink)
    Thanks for your reply. I am using cakewalk USB audio interface UA-1G. I am pretty sure I wasn't in the red on any meters but i will keep an eye on that with my next  recording. As for freezing can you freeze non midi tracks? the only one I had frozen was the drums, if that is an option that sounds interesting. Can you comfirm that for me.

Thanks a lot

Deadly
    Deadly
    Re:Distortion on playback 2011/02/15 11:01:41 (permalink)
    Me again.
    I just reopened the project I had the problem with, froze all the tracks and it worked! Brilliant! It enabled me to mix it the way I wanted. Thanks so much for your help.

Deadly
    xxxlambo
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 68
    Re:Distortion on playback 2011/02/15 16:54:35 (permalink)
    Glad that worked for you.  Happy mixing
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1