Do I really need a mixer?

Author
nigel T
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 214
2006/01/14 15:39:35 (permalink)

Do I really need a mixer?

Hey everyone,

I've been a P5 user now for about 6 months and I'll be making the jump to S5 here in a short while.

I see alot of Sonar users have hardware mixers. I have heard that using a hardware mixer is better than mixing with a mouse. Why I don't know. With P5 you don't need a outboard mixer, it's built-in. Plus it's not a full-fledged recording host like Sonar. The only benefit I can see to having/using a hardware mixer is that it's more of a "hands-on" feel, like that of a traditional mixing console. Other than that, assuming you had the appropriate audio interface with multiple in/outs, I can't see why someone would pay for something they kind of already have, does that make sense?

Let me put it another way: If you're a one-man band, how would a mixer be beneficial?
post edited by nigel T - 2006/01/14 15:45:45

17 Replies Related Threads

Asseli
    • Total Posts : 223
    RE: Do I really need a mixer? 2006/01/14 15:52:28 (permalink)
    very philosophical, indeed.
    You are, of course, free to do what you want, Sonar gives you all you need. If you're used to a mouse, then why don't you go ahead with that.
    Being a CAT I'm preferring to eat these little animals and use a controller/mixer, but that's me.
    By the way, looking at your avatar there are some octave parallels in your music, I will meet J.S. Bach tomorrow and going to sneak against you
    cheers

http://www.tango-manzana.com/ video/song: Trip To Tokyo
    new release: "Tango Bajo" by Asseli and Grupo Virtual feat. Nicolás Ascone (electric bass&voice); mastered by CJay, Florida.. Now ready for download at itunes, amazon, musicload and others. Enjoy!
    agincourtdb
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4753
    RE: Do I really need a mixer? 2006/01/14 15:56:09 (permalink)
    well, first, you're not really talking about a mixer, you're talking about a control surface. A lot of people swear by control surfaces, and can't get along without them. Personally I can take it or leave it. I've got a BCF2000, and I hardly ever use it. It's serving as a second Midi in for me, for all intents and purposes. I do all my automation in Sonar with the mouse. More accurate that way.

I think a lot of people use control surfaces because that's the way they got used to doing things before DAWs. You can take the boy out of the tape studio, but you can't take the tape studio out of the boy

Now, a small-format analog mixer can be useful in a DAW situation both for the preamps and as a control room matrix (i.e., it gives you a hardware fader to control your main volume.)

You can of course also get digital mixers that can serve both purposes at once.

nigel T
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: Do I really need a mixer? 2006/01/14 15:59:41 (permalink)
    Hey Dave!

Nice to see you.

Thanks for the comments. I agree.
    AndyW
    Max Output Level: -45.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2956
    RE: Do I really need a mixer? 2006/01/14 16:04:16 (permalink)
    Nigel,

As you "grow" your home studio you will find you need a software or a hardware mixer...especially if you do vocals...you will want to monitor yourself while recording. You will have to decide what is better for you. Many here "grew up" with hardware mixers(including me) and loath mixing with a mouse. I on the other hand actually prefer doing everything in software an my Tranzport is what I have whittled my tactile control needs down to after trying several other products. You really need to match your gear to your needs. Are you mising something that you can't do with your setup right now? Find a product to fill that need. What soundcard are you using? How many in's and out's? Via what interfaces? Does it have a software mixer? These are all questions that will help you decide what you need once you anwer and analyze them. There are many here who have travelled the road and I can tell you, there is more than one successful path.

Best,

AndyW

OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR

www.soundclick.com/andyw
    xackley
    • Total Posts : 2973
    RE: Do I really need a mixer? 2006/01/14 16:42:02 (permalink)
    I recently got the BCF, it's fun, but unnecessary.
    What I use it for is setting overall levels for the tracks. I really liked it for adjusting the drum and cymbol volumes. Much easyier than mousing one track at a time.
    Perhaps I will use it for drawing volume envelopes and pans, but am in no hurry.

I would put a Control Surface on the bottom of a NEED list. If you have the Mics and PreAmps for capturing the sounds, and the pluggins you need, then you might think about a control surface. Dual video monitors would be way above a CS.
    I would put a Mixer on the list of Never Needed.

Van Gogh, seeing more that a vase of flowers.
    http://www.vggallery.com
    Newer Song "River", let me know if you don't like it.
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=162668
    Rednroll
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 537
    RE: Do I really need a mixer? 2006/01/14 17:24:00 (permalink)
    There are a lot of uses for an external hardware mixer. Here's some examples that I use mine for.

1. External Gear routing to inputs. Ok, my sound card has 4 analog inputs, my studio has a bunch of analog sources that I would like to route to those inputs....much more than 4. So with the mixer, I can combine those signals together onto a single input if I choose. I can have all these devices plugged into my mixer and at the press of a single button have it routed to any of the four inputs. No need to be playing around with pugging and unpluging cables. On this same flexibility I can route tracks to my external mixer, then do external processing on it and then route it back into Sonar and record it onto an input in Sonar. All this is done without having to move any cable connections.

2. Latency free input monitoring. This is a concern if you are recording vocals or any other instrument where there can not be a noticeable delay. Some say, you need a fast PC and a low latency sound card to overcome this problem. Even with those things, there are multiple micing techniques I use where I can have the Mic signal delayed up to 8 mS just so my phase with the other mics are ok....so with an 8mS delay on the mic already, what does that leave me for some latency that my sound card and host app add to the mix? Nowhere to go. This is one of the reasons I say ASIO DM is needed in Sonar.

3. Seperate mix setup for Cues and Control room mix. Ok, let's say you're recording a vocal track. The singer needs to hear the music tracks along with his own vocal. Now me as the engineer, I have a need to just focus in on the Vocal track. So with a multi mix setup I can solo the vocal track, so me as the engineer can hear the vocal track and just the vocal track. This will obviously throw the musicians head phone mix where they won't be able to perform without any backing music. So an outboard mixer allows me to set up 2 different mixes, each are dedicated to the different needs of the musican and the engineer/producer.

4. Using outboard FX's in my mixes. You may be happy using all software plugins in your mixing.....but then how much hardware gear have you used? Have you used hardware compressors? Have you used an actual Lexicon reverb in mixing, or have you just used a software plugin claiming to sound like a Lexicon reverb? Have you used an analog EQ, or just used a plugin that claims to sound like an analog EQ. Well, I can tell you that I have and I've been able to easily A/B them using my hardware mixer and 90% of the time, the hardware wins hands down as far as sound quality.

On the same use, I also recently bought a Damage Control Demonizer. I have recorded some clean direct guitar tracks. Now I can route that clean guitar track to my external mixer, then insert the Demonizer into that mixer channel and adjust the settings on the Demonizer which is a real tube analog preamp......If I didn't have this external mixer then I would be trying to use an AMP Sim plugin trying to be a real tube preamp. It's not the same thing.....but, I actually have the options of using either or with my setup.

5. Hands on controler. My external mixer is a Yamaha 03D, so along with the 30 inputs and 10 plus outputs, all my faders can be switched over to be a "midi remote", so now I can control the faders within the software with hands on mixing. So all my software faders and external hardware faders can be controled with a single device, and are easily switched back and forth with the press of a single button.

6. Multiple routing to multiple devices. My mix can be routed to a DAT recorder, an external CD recorder, and also back to an input on my DAW and I can record the same signal to all of these devices at the same time. Try doing that with software and see how much effort you have to go thru as well as pluging and unpluging cables.

In summary what an external mixer gives you is "Flexibility" to do whatever your heart desires with a wider range of devices that can be used in your recording and mixing work flows.
    agincourtdb
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4753
    RE: Do I really need a mixer? 2006/01/14 18:19:10 (permalink)
    great post from rednroll

1,2,3, 4 and 6 appear to depend on whether you have a multi-in-and-out soundcard. With my FW1814 (and an 8-ch a/d converter) I've got 16 analog ins and 12 analog outs. It'll do zero-latency input monitoring. You can send seperate mixes to different pairs of outs. You can send the same mix to multiple pairs for multiple destinations. Combined with Sonar's busing it pretty much does most of what an external mixer can do.

Now, I do have an external mixer, but I use it mostly to route other sound sources (cd, computer onboard soundcard, guitar pedal) to my 2.1 studio monitors.

When I'm multitrack recording, I use it as a front end, for the preamps.

AndyW
    RE: Do I really need a mixer? 2006/01/14 19:04:18 (permalink)
    I agree... Red points out the major flexibility options that a mixer gives you...however, all those things can be done "in the box" as well...just as you pointed out, it depends on the number of I/O you have. I run two DSPF cards and with two A/D/D/A converters(such as an ALesis AI3) I can get 16 in/out plus two SP/DIF in's and two set's of stereo ins. I can route those in the box via my control software for the DSPF's(of which there are several options...I use LUI). You can configure them as 2 24x8x2 mixers or one 48x8x2 mixer...all "in the box". Red's point about quality is also true...but most of us can't afford all the hardware gear so we have to settle for the 80% solution...A lexicon software verb vice the "real thing" as in his example. In most cases, for a project studio, the differences won't matter. I think it really comes down to how you think and what your workflow model is. You have to match the gear to you. I went all "in the box" a few years ago and haven't looked back. I would prefer to have audio cards with lots of in's and out's, pick my own converters and do all mixing and routing in the box. I think the EMU 1820M is one of these type of cards that is "current generation"...although I love my DSPF's so I really haven't been shopping.... I wish Yahama would make a 96/24 version in PCie and I'd be set for another 10 years...

Best,

AndyW

www.soundclick.com/andyw
    Jesse G
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4282
    RE: Do I really need a mixer? 2006/01/14 20:04:11 (permalink)
    If you have a simple home studio setup and you are not routing a great deal of ins and outs, then I say a mixer will not be somthing you will need at the moment. Right now, I thing you should focus on a great audio interface which includes a midi in/out. Additionally, mixers are not what your are a ctually talking about, it;s a control surface as it was stated earlier. Control surfaces are great if you don't like mousing around.

P5 and Sonar are very different when it comes to mixing because sonar offers a console where P5 v2 doesn't offer the console view. This is where you need for the control surface really comes in. If you are trying to mix down the tracks, you cna perform a lot without having to take you hand off of the controller. I too usethe BCF2000, and I love it. A great mimic of the Mackie, but with less functionality and beautyas well.

IF you decide to go with a mixer, look for one with firewire to see the muti I/Os in Sonar and P5. I Favor the Mackie Onyx 1202 w firewire, but I got the presonus Firepod instead because I still have my Alesis 12 HW Mixer and the BCF control surface.

Decide firts on the set up you want and what you will be doing with it. Every one wants the gear, but not everyone NEEDS to have the gear, when they can just use the minimum for what they are doing. Those prices add up!

Peace

Peace,
    Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
    ==============================
    Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
    Mooch4056
    Max Output Level: -0.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7494
    RE: Do I really need a mixer? 2006/01/14 21:47:53 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: nigel T

Let me put it another way: If you're a one-man band, how would a mixer be beneficial?

the mixer helps to be able to eq the sound while your recording ---- also put any fx's through the aux's if you like to record with fx's -- some people do but most leave it dry--- after you have all your audio recording a hardware mixer doesn't do anything -- .... so if your a one man band u might want it for those reasons --- you can get a 2 or 4 channel mixer for cheap-- maybe a Behringer

now control surfaces as mentioned in other above responses -- u dont need them but they are fun --- basically a control surface controls the stuff like faders and eq's that are in sonar -- rather than doing it with a mouse -- -- all kinds of different control surfaces out there -- some good -- some bad -- basically you get what you pay for in MOST cases -- some people cant live with out them --- some people could care less

I have a mackie universal control surface -- its fun -- I like it-- could have bought a cheaper one for what I do with it -- mostly use it to fast foward and rewind -- and adjust volume tracks
    post edited by Mooch4056 - 2006/01/14 21:56:31

From Now On Call Me Conquistador! 

Donate to the cure Bapu Foundation
    Email: mooch4056@gmail.com for more info

xackley
    • Total Posts : 2973
    RE: Do I really need a mixer? 2006/01/14 22:33:20 (permalink)
    many have spoken of zero latency monitoring.
    My first prosumer card was an Aardvark Q10. Zero latency monitoring built into the card.
    Over a year ago I got the EMU 1820m, also mentioned in the thread. Also zero latency monitoring, and was a leap in quality. The emu also offers fx good enough for monitoring wet, still at zero latency.
    With the 2 builtin preamps, 2 tube preamps(dbx 576 and art pro channel, pod, j-station, and vox ad30vt, I can still record a good sized jam session. If I ever wanted to try recording a real drumkit too, the ADAT port would give me 8 more preamps for the cost of an ADA8000. All controlable using the Emu's software interface.
    Too bad Emu hasn't made their DSP midi controlable.

Edit: The emu product does have a limitation that annoys me, all inputs except the 2 preamps are treated as stereo pairs with a single post A/D fader. They still can record mono in Sonar, but I would prefer the inputs to displayed as Mono channels, with a fader for each channel, that can be linked if the source happens to be stereo.
    post edited by xackley - 2006/01/14 22:51:53

Van Gogh, seeing more that a vase of flowers.
    http://www.vggallery.com
    Newer Song "River", let me know if you don't like it.
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=162668
    Rednroll
    RE: Do I really need a mixer? 2006/01/14 22:57:58 (permalink)
    many have spoken of zero latency monitoring.
    My first prosumer card was an Aardvark Q10. Zero latency monitoring built into the card.

Please explain this to me then. Let's say you're doing an overdub on a vocal track. Let's say for instance the original vocal track is routed to your sound cards output #1. Your Vocal Mic is routed to input#1 and your have the monitor switch on so that now that input gets routed to Output #1. How do you get a true auto input functionality.

For Auto-input here are the guidelines:
    1. During Playback you only hear the previously recorded track....and not the input signal on the microphone.
    2. When you press stop, you hear the input signal from the microphone.
    3. When you press record during playback, then you no longer hear the previously recorded track any longer, you hear the input signal for the duration of the record.
    4. When you come out of record, it switches back to what was previously recorded at your cursors current positon.

Please explain how you handle that, because that's the way I'm use to working, and if you're able to do that with "Zero Latency" monitoring with just your sound card, than I'm interested in hearing how.

Thanks
    AndyW
    RE: Do I really need a mixer? 2006/01/14 23:32:52 (permalink)
    Hi Red,

I know tape type auto-input is your major gripe with SONAR but without integrated hardware and software or until internal latency becomes a non-issue, it will all not be able to function that way inside SONAR(or any DAW AFAIK). However, having said that, I imagine that xackley does what I do:

- Route mic->preamp->A/D-> soundcard input channel
    - Enable this channel to play thru to the soundcards primary outs(what your speakers are hooked up to) - this gives you zero latency monitoring of the input signal. If your soundcards software mixer has aux busses and fx, all the better...put some reverb on that vocal that the singer likes and make a headphone mix...it never has to get printed to disk.
    - You also route that channel to another output bus or aux of your software mixer, this bus is seen as a wave in on SONAR
    - in SONAR record enable the track and go...do NOT enable input monitoring and set latency at whatever you want...you are only recording dry.

Now, let's do Take 2 because we had a phrasing issue in the second part of the first verse we just recorded. Keep everything lined up the same way and the same track record enabled but slip edit the first vocal take back to just after the phrasing error starts...that way when the singer starts singing the overdub, the previous material won't be playing back in their monitor mix...but the new material will record. If you enable layers on that track it will also make the takes easier to see. Once the new take is done, slip edit it from the front to lineup with the old tracks *end*. Crossfade to taste.

I also think the "auto-punch" feature will do *almost* what you want, but you have to pre-designate when you want to punch in and out. Anyway, the above is how I do vocal takes and it works fine. I really don't care if the mic is "hot" during tracking and overdubs so that portion of your definition of "auto-input" isn't important to me...not sure why that part is important at all but I'm always willing to learn.

HTH.

Best,

AndyW

www.soundclick.com/andyw
    Rednroll
    RE: Do I really need a mixer? 2006/01/15 16:04:44 (permalink)
    Thanks for the Reply Andy. Actually what you described sounds like what is referred to as the "Donut Method". Yep, I've been using that for years. You basically cut a hole in the middle of what you would like to punch into.

it will all not be able to function that way inside SONAR(or any DAW AFAIK).

Have you tried Steinberg's Cubase or Nuendo with ASIO direct monitoring selected? Have you tried Samplitude? We already know Protools can do it, because they can integrate the software more closely with the hardware.

One further question to see if I'm completely understanding this, because my sound card doesn't seem to function this way.

For this situation since we're not using an external mixer, we can only have 2 of the sound card outputs connected to each speaker right? So this means you have to have your input monitoring section on your sound card routed to those outputs, and to also hear what was previously recorded, you have to have all the other tracks in Sonar routed to those 2 same outputs. For this to work, it sounds like your sound card would have to have some kind of bus, so that you could hear the 2 different signals at the same time out the same outputs. My sound card doesn't have that. When you enable the input monitoring on the sound card, then that's the only signal that will go to that output. So I'm a little confused here if you're only using a the soundcard for this type of situation and don't have an external mixer, so you can monitor multiple sound card outputs at the same time.

{Edit} Ahhhh, forget it that is exactly what my sound card does.
    post edited by Rednroll - 2006/01/15 16:30:03
    slick73
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Do I really need a mixer? 2006/02/07 01:31:14 (permalink)
    Hey Red, can you tell me how to hook up the 03D to my PC? I just bought one off EBAY and would like to be able to record audio w/Sonar 5 PE and use the 03D as the digital mixer for I/O and its faders. What connections are you using? Would SPDIF I/O work? Please let me know. Thanks alot.
    tecton
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 575
    RE: Do I really need a mixer? 2006/02/07 07:39:27 (permalink)
    SPDIF will work fine but I don’t think you only want 2 ins and 2 outs.

If you connect via light pipe then you will have 8 ins and outs. The bit depth is at 24 bit and the sample rate is at 48 kHz.

and you can use 2 light pipes for 16 ins and outs and 3 light pipes for 24 and so on.

But you need a ADAT card in your computer.

You can get 16 channel ADAT cards pretty cheaply.

PS. Of course this will only work if the 03D has got the ADAT card(s) in it, and I’m not sure how many channels its card(s) can support but it will be certainly more than 2
    post edited by tecton - 2006/02/07 07:52:00

Don't Fight The Physics.

Bonzos Ghost
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1112
    RE: Do I really need a mixer? 2006/02/07 16:10:45 (permalink)
    Each to their own, but I couldn't imagine NOT having an outboard mixing console. I still have a ton of midi gear. I prefer to build up tracks using midi as opposed to audio tracks to begin with, then I'll tweek / re-do as required until the basic song structure is in place. With an outboard mixer, I can have all my outboard synth / sampler outputs plugged in at once into separate channel strips.

Depends on how you work.

I also have a second mixer for outputs from my DAW.

Having a mixer allows more monitoring options while tracking. It eliminates any latency issues, and allows you to use outboard gear conveniently without constantly patching cables.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1