Do MP3 & WAV files contain audio?

Author
jarogers
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10
2010/08/04 12:49:21 (permalink)

Do MP3 & WAV files contain audio?

Please forgive me for being a total novice when it comes to computer audio. This is a basic question and I hope someone can steer me in the right direction. I am wondering if MP3 and WAV files use a computer's sound card to produce the sound or are they independent. I assume they contain their own audio within the files since they can be played back on MP3 players and such. Am I correct in thinking that the computer's sound card is important when it comes to making MP3 and WAV files and that a low quality sound card will produce a low quality file that will sound bad when played back, but that the MP3 or WAV file can be played back independent of a computer sound card?

13 Replies Related Threads

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    Re:Do MP3 & WAV files contain audio? 2010/08/04 13:21:54 (permalink)
    jarogers

Please forgive me for being a total novice when it comes to computer audio. This is a basic question and I hope someone can steer me in the right direction. I am wondering if MP3 and WAV files use a computer's sound card to produce the sound or are they independent. I assume they contain their own audio within the files since they can be played back on MP3 players and such. Am I correct in thinking that the computer's sound card is important when it comes to making MP3 and WAV files and that a low quality sound card will produce a low quality file that will sound bad when played back, but that the MP3 or WAV file can be played back independent of a computer sound card?

The audio is inside the file and it has a header area for information like the ID3 tags but it's just one big file. The player knows how to pull out just the audio and play it.

No, the sound card does not control the quality of the files if you rip a CD or mix your own stuff like from Sonar.  The sound card only affects the file quality if you use the analog inputs on the sound card to record audio into the file.

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Do MP3 & WAV files contain audio? 2010/08/04 15:08:56 (permalink)
    Or to hear the files - of course.

You can, of course, have more than one "card" in a computer.  Tho many say to disable your internal soundcard if you have one for music, I've never had problems.  I guess you are heading for the question - do I need a better sound card?  The answer is yes if you are recording audio.  The answer is also yes if you plan on doing any serious mixing of stuff you do - even if it is all internal.  A computer sound card and little bitty computer speakers limit what you hear (esp. the speakers).  The digital to analog convertors in the internal audio card are alright, tho not for serious work.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    jarogers
    Re:Do MP3 & WAV files contain audio? 2010/08/04 16:38:50 (permalink)
    So, say I use Sonar to lay down a midi track using a soft synth and my keyboard and then export the project as a wav file, is the quality of the wav file dependent on the quality of the sound card I am using?
    ohhey
    • Total Posts : 11676
    Re:Do MP3 & WAV files contain audio? 2010/08/04 21:03:59 (permalink)
    jarogers

So, say I use Sonar to lay down a midi track using a soft synth and my keyboard and then export the project as a wav file, is the quality of the wav file dependent on the quality of the sound card I am using?

No not at all. It might not sound great listening on your system but if you take that same file to a machine with a high end sound card and it will sound as good as it can. The quality happens in the mix engine of Sonar and never goes though the sound card during the mix.  That's why it can mix at higher then real time, it's not using a clock or converters it's just stacking samples in a row on the hard drive.
    jarogers
    Re:Do MP3 & WAV files contain audio? 2010/08/05 14:22:07 (permalink)
    Thank you all for clearing up a very complicated subject for me!
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Do MP3 & WAV files contain audio? 2010/08/05 19:30:49 (permalink)
    jarogers

technically .... NO. A wave file or an MP3 is simply data. there is no audio in it... just data bits of "0" and "1"... that is all that is in any computer file including waves.

I am not a computer geek.... but what little I understand about this is that the date is formatted as a wave or in the MP3 format. When that data is used by a computer, the computer recognizes the file format and sends it to a D/A converter... a section of the hardware that takes the data and converts it from the digital domain to the audio domain. It then becomes audible. But the file itself does not contain any audio... just the data that can reconstruct it with the proper software and hardware instructions.

Audio being recorded as a wave file in Sonar takes the opposite route.... the audio is converted into the data bits by an A/D converter, and stored as a what we call a wave file.... but at this point it's all ones and zeros.

Hope this helps.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    tomdesile
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:Do MP3 & WAV files contain audio? 2010/08/13 06:14:00 (permalink)
    Wow nice information. but I think the MP3 file is more better sound quality. because when I convert MP3 songs to wav for ring tone than there was big difference in its quality. so can you tell me why this difference.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Do MP3 & WAV files contain audio? 2010/08/13 08:03:20 (permalink)
    Actually the wave file has the superior quality.

When I export a song, the wave for it could be...lets say....60MB...quite large. After I convert it to MP3 at 320kb sample rate it is about 6MB.

That means a lot of the data that determines the sound quality has been dropped from the final file. Since other, much lower sample rates exist, a common one is 128kbs, those files are even smaller with even more data dropped in the process. Now, to be fair, the coders have designed software compression algorithms to try to make up for the dropped data.

So the question...why does the MP3 ringtone sound better...... I'm only guessing but perhaps it has to do with the size of the file. With the wave being bigger by far.....IF the processor that plays it in a phone is slow, it can not handle the data in real time in it's buffers... it is constantly having difficulty playing it in real time.... your ears hear that as a crappy sound..... however, the MP3 being smaller and "streamlined" is not a problem for the phone to play. It plays smoothly and therefore sounds better to your ears.

I have had the opposite experience..... playing an MP3 through a nice PA system for backing tracks..it sounds like crap.... using a CD with a wave...nice sounding backing track.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    • Total Posts : 9200
    Re:Do MP3 & WAV files contain audio? 2010/08/13 08:56:32 (permalink)
    Converting mp3 to wav file for use as a ring tone you may well find that the wav is maybe only 11k sample rate to keep the file size down, and on a mobile phone speaker this realy wouldn't matter.  That would account for the apparent bad quality if heard through better speakers than a mobile phone...

Mekashi Futo
    Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
    Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Do MP3 & WAV files contain audio? 2010/08/13 13:05:26 (permalink)
    A mp3 file has usually been squeezed down from a wave file, losing some of the information.  Converting an mp3 to wave doesn't add any information back, just adds more artifacts.  It can't sound better, but probably worse.  I often have to go back when converting Wave files to mp3 and lower the volume, etc. so I don't get overs in the mp3.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Lanceindastudio
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4604
    Re:Do MP3 & WAV files contain audio? 2010/08/13 20:45:26 (permalink)
    It has information that tells the computer what information to "play" which goes to speakers. The audio is what you hear. It is a frequency. The file is just instructions! Same with a CD or record!

Yeah I know, Im a wise ass ;)

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
    i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
    Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
    Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
    Presonus Eureka
    Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
    manenbu
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 99
    Re:Do MP3 & WAV files contain audio? 2010/08/27 17:49:41 (permalink)
    A full answer:
    WAV and MP3 files contain audio. For the one that started talking that it basically doesn't contain audio but contains bits and stuff - that's true but complicating it too much. You can say that your dinner is chicken, or you can say that your food is a bunch of organic molecules made mainly out of carbon and hydrogen, with a large concentration of calcium and phosphate in the bones. So for simplicity's sake, it contains audio.
    MIDI files contain notes. This depends on what is playing the notes. When you play the midi notes in sonar, it can use a soft synth, send it out to a midi device or whatever else you choose. If you record this to a wav file, the specific sound becomes permanent and is independent (to some degree) of the playing source. mp3 do not sound better than wav by definition. If you think that your mp3 sounded better than the wav, either the playing device messed up the wav playing, or the lower quality of the mp3 somehow psychologically made it sound better (which happens - so it might be the issue).

Sonar 8.5.3 x64 on Windows 7 ~ C2Q9550 ~ 4GB RAM
    Anubis
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1059
    Re:Do MP3 & WAV files contain audio? 2010/08/28 17:45:29 (permalink)
    manenbu

...You can say that your dinner is chicken, ...with a large concentration of calcium and phosphate in the bones...

I usually just eat the meat. But, oh well, to each his bone, que sera sera! 

X2Studio_Win7(64)_SamsungChronos_QuNexus_QuNeo_Axiom25_Saffire24Pro_Saffire6USB_EdirolPCR300_Nocturn
    Amplitubes_AmpegSVX_StylusRMX_SampleTank/Tron_Komplete7_AddictiveDrums_TRacks3_Wavelab6
    miTunes
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1