Do Not Ask Me To Remember

Author
SquareSpiral
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86
2017/03/16 00:30:04 (permalink)

Do Not Ask Me To Remember

Hey all!

I just finished working on my musical setting of the Owen Darnell poem of the same name - Often referred to as the 'Alzheimer's Poem'. Normally I am producing other artists, but this time it's also me behind the mic and I even made video to prove it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCJjzosbYgM

There is a little background as to why I recorded this in the video description for those who are interested.

Cheers

Chris - SquareSpiral

www.squarespiral.co.uk

11 Replies Related Threads

Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re: Do Not Ask Me To Remember 2017/03/16 00:57:02 (permalink)
    Chris, this is truly a touching and poignant song.  You have a seriously good voice that draws one into the music and leaves an impression.  My only suggestion is to turn up the vocal in the chorus or refrain because it's harder to understand the lyrics when the instruments get heavy.  This song is well worth the extra few minutes because it's a gem.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    SquareSpiral
    Re: Do Not Ask Me To Remember 2017/03/16 01:14:53 (permalink)
    Thanks for the great comment Lynn - I'm still a little to close the mix at the moment as it is hot off the press so I will probably tweak a few bits after a few days of separation - I will definitely check the vocal levels on the chorus though.

Cheers

Chris 

www.squarespiral.co.uk
    synkrotron
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5263
    Re: Do Not Ask Me To Remember 2017/03/16 11:28:24 (permalink)
    Very well done Chris. Sung with feeling, and a very touching and emotional poem.

I read your video description and I'm not entirely sure what to say. I have been fortunate, thus far, not to have anyone close to me with the same thing, although I do have few friends who are going through this, as carers.

cheers, and best wishes

andy

http://www.synkrotron.co.uk/
    Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | SONAR Platinum ∞ FFS| Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
    daryl1968
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10984
    Re: Do Not Ask Me To Remember 2017/03/16 16:23:29 (permalink)
    This is really cool Chris - great mix and production
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: Do Not Ask Me To Remember 2017/03/16 18:09:18 (permalink)
    Mix works well here, tricky subject about an awful condition that takes away people without them realising it.

Good job sir.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    SquareSpiral
    Re: Do Not Ask Me To Remember 2017/03/16 20:24:02 (permalink)
    Thank you guys for your comments - Glad you enjoyed it.

As musicians we are lucky enough to have an outlet through our art that many do not have in their lives - I sya we keep on making the best of it.

Cheers!

Chris

www.squarespiral.co.uk
    emeraldsoul
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1858
    Re: Do Not Ask Me To Remember 2017/03/17 05:52:17 (permalink)
    Yes, that's a very emotional take on a tricky subject. I think you have given honor to those who have to suffer through this. I liked the mix, well done there. I found it unexpected given the subject matter that you brought an 80's bounce to it but it works. Also, very gutsy to make a video of you singing - kudos for bravery there! I like the switching between takes, and your voice suits the emotion perfectly.

cheers,
    -Tom

A work in regress:
    www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
    A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
    Kilometers Davis - video   audio
    Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
    The Sweet Slow Fade - video
    bjornpdx
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 759
    Re: Do Not Ask Me To Remember 2017/03/18 21:48:00 (permalink)
    I've witnessed the decline of people with this nightmare disease and it truly is a nightmare, for the afflicted person and the family.

I thought it touching that the Owen Darnell poem is like someone speaking for the patient when they can no longer do so. The music augments the emotional contents of those words even further.  You did a very good job with this. 

Bjorn
    soundcloud.com/orygun
    www.bjornfredrickson.com
    https://store.cdbaby.com/Artist/BjornFredrickson

Purrfect Audio Pro Studio, RME UCX
    Cakewalk by Bandlab,  Studio One,  Reaper
    Flagrant Regard
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 107
    Re: Do Not Ask Me To Remember 2017/03/20 08:15:38 (permalink)
    Hey there Chris! Very touching. Me mum got Alzheimers and it was HELL watching it and was so hard to face all the changes that went along with it. She passed (of heart failure) before it consumed her totally, thankfully ... is that weird to say? Miss her tons but would hate to lose my mind like that myself ... or my wife or my worst enemy ... THANK YOU for doing this song. Beautiful piece. Love the arrangement. Love the punchy drums. Great delivery and a great mix all in all. The ONLY think I think you'd benefit from is a tad more pitch correction for stability. I think the harmony could line up level-wise with the lead vox too, just a bit more. The ooh-oohs ... double them up and pan them l&r for effect, maybe?

Anyhow - look forward to hearing more of your stuff. Will have to go through your profile/posts and check it all out.

Best to you, friend.

Martin 

We Are FLAGRANT REGARD
    OS: Windows 10, DAWsoft: Sonar Plat, Soundcard: AP2496, Equipment: Tak/Tay/Yam/Fen/Kor/, Speakers: Equators D-5s, PolkAudio Home, Paradigm Subwoof, Plugs: many, too blinkin' many to know what to do with them. Must cull!!

stevec
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: Do Not Ask Me To Remember 2017/03/21 20:01:04 (permalink)
    Great piece, it gets the point across so well.   Music fits perfectly, and the vocals sound great. 

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

SquareSpiral
    Re: Do Not Ask Me To Remember 2017/03/21 22:31:43 (permalink)
    Thanks for the comments Martin. I totally agree - I can always use more pitch correction! ;)
    Seriously though, I am not usually found in front of the microphone but have been wanting to get back to doing some singing recently and this seemed a perfect jumping in point.

I have a tendency the mix my BG vocals fairly low but that doesn't mean there aren't plenty of them - if fact on this song through the final chorus aside from the main lead line there are another 12 vocal tracks across the various doubles, harmonies and BG lines panned to give a full spread left to right - believe me you would know if there weren't there. ;)

Once again - thanks for listening and glad you enjoyed it.

Chris - SquareSpiral

www.squarespiral.co.uk
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1