Do dongles make you more "pro"?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
cryophonik
Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4724
RE: Do dongles make you more "pro"? 2009/01/07 17:56:09 (permalink)
I'm another who was opposed to dongles years ago, but here I am now with a couple o'dongles (SyncroSoft & iLok) hanging out of my USB hub. I haven't found them to be the scary devils that everybody makes them out to be. As a matter of fact, I just finished upgrading the OS on my primary DAW and the reinstallation of my dongle-protected apps and plugins were the most trouble-free installations of them all.

As far as dongles being preferred more by professionals, naw, I don't think that's the case at all. That said, I do think that perhaps the more tech-savvy users are more likely to be OK with dongles because they have a better understanding of how they work, how to troubleshoot them if the need arises, etc.

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

Gerry
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 861
RE: Do dongles make you more "pro"? 2009/01/08 07:36:15 (permalink)
I had no problems with the Cubase 4 Dongle I just couldn't get my head around Cubase. There it sits in its box and Sonar continues to do it all for me, if Sonar had a dongle it would make absolutely no difference to me at all. I'm amazed that dongles take up so much discussion and extreme opinions considering they take up 1 USB slot, work fine on a hub and do not effect work flow at all. If a dongle is such a major issue in your life then I reckon you need to get a new life. The other noticable fact is the ones who moan about them the most have never used one

Happy New Dongle whoops I mean year.

Gerry

Those who can't dance always blame the band.
http://www.gerrycooper.com/

jamesg1213
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 21760
RE: Do dongles make you more "pro"? 2009/01/08 14:40:12 (permalink)
I used dongled software for 15 years when I was in the sign trade, no problems whatsoever. Once it was there, we forgot all about it.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
Gerry
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 861
RE: Do dongles make you more "pro"? 2009/01/08 15:59:34 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jamesg1213

I used dongled software for 15 years when I was in the sign trade, no problems whatsoever. Once it was there, we forgot all about it.

That's my point it really is blown out of proportion and when I gave up on Cubase I also forget the dongle and it remained plugged in for weeks afterwards. Not knocking Cubase at all but to be honest of Cake started using a dongle and Steinberg stopped I would stick with Sonar it really is a non issue for me and I suspect if it came to the crunch it is for most people. Sonar isn't great because it doesn't have a dongle its great because its so intuitive and let's you make music. JMHO.

Those who can't dance always blame the band.
http://www.gerrycooper.com/

inmazevo
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3276
RE: Do dongles make you more "pro"? 2009/01/08 16:11:00 (permalink)
Dongles, or the lack thereof, have nothing that makes their protected apps more professional.
Some "pro" stuff has 'em... some doesn't.
The only trend I've noticed is that periodically companies change from one scheme to another... sometimes dropping a dongle... sometimes moving to one.

I only have two issues with dongle protected stuff:
- the services that come along with them... if they were just spots where my keys were stored, I wouldn't mind as much, but I know from Steinberg experience that service software, like any software, can have detrimental bugs, and since I don't think dongles are the only way to achieve a respectable level of copy protection, I find adding another bit of software unacceptable.
- I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really HATE taking them mobile. If I were an in-house only guy, it wouldn't matter... I'd install them, internal to the machine so they don't get broken (happens), and be done with it. But I'm not. I go out of my house. And since I don't think dongles are the only way to achieve a respectable level of copy protection, I find adding another bit of hardware to carry around, lose | get stolen... unacceptable.

For system restore simplicity and reinstalls on the same machine, I use backups. I back everything activated up immediately after installing the OS... it's the beginning of the chain.
For new system builds or major changes that require re-activations... I live with it... once, and then use my backups (don't replace my machines quickly these days either).

They're fine. If you have an app that requires them and you want it, get it.
But it doesn't make one a pro. For that, you'll need Pro Tools... HD.

Hehehe.

- zevo
post edited by inmazevo - 2009/01/08 16:14:23
kwgm
Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2271
RE: Do dongles make you more "pro"? 2009/01/08 17:35:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Nate

ORIGINAL: OldGeezer

So when a customer who buy a certain brand of software is unable to use said software for a period of time due to an inability to register the code to the dongle (examples of which have been cited in another thread), they are only percieving an inconvenience?

No. They are choosing the wrong software for their particular requirements.

Bingo!

Thanks for that breath of fresh air.

--kwgm
space_cowboy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9813
RE: Do dongles make you more "pro"? 2009/01/08 20:41:50 (permalink)
Hey my ol pal

Just be glad he didnt drop the g and replace the i with an e. That would be nasty.

Dongles aint that bad. I have my Pod. It is a dongle for Pod Farm. I have a syncrsoft thing for my Arturia plugs and they sound right nice.

ORIGINAL: yorolpal

ORIGINAL: OldGeezer

ORIGINAL: yorolpal

Well, I used to say consistently that I was opposed to dongles. Then I got GTR. Then Korg Legacy Digital Edition. Then MOTU Ethno. Then Gear Box Gold. Then Amp Farm. And then a crapload of UAD, which is really very much a dongle. So I guess I'm a liar, liar pants on fire. In fact what I'm typing right now is probably not even true. Or is it?

You're an enigma!

Geeze, geeze (I've always wanted to say that!) your spelling's as bad as CJ's. Isn't that supposed to be just an "e" instead of "ig"??

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
OldGeezer
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 686
RE: Do dongles make you more "pro"? 2009/01/08 21:45:35 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: space_cowboy

Hey my ol pal

Just be glad he didnt drop the g and replace the i with an e. That would be nasty.

That's what he meant (works out to the same thing), heh heh.
wilson_inc
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 219
RE: Do dongles make you more "pro"? 2009/01/08 23:04:37 (permalink)
i don't know bout you
But
or butt
when we were on tour
the traveling Dongle berry's were always with us
tended to leave some SKID Marks
but we were Well payed to travel ,does that Qualify us as Pro's
or was that Prose
Wasn't there a band Called the traveling Dingle Berry's?
Hangin round somewhere or other?
Rbh
Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2349
RE: Do dongles make you more "pro"? 2009/01/09 01:36:02 (permalink)
I use ILok for one product and a syncrosoft ( something or other, hell I can't remember) on another. The point is.. I can't remember because they've both been solid and stable for a few years. I've had more problems losing downloaded activation keys than anything else.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
12 Gig
Appollo
CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
 Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1