Do you guys buy studio monitors off ebay?

Author
Ron Vogel
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1074
2009/01/12 01:10:32 (permalink)

Because you need to stop...

I have lost 5 auctions in the past day or two...and it's really pissing me off!!!

I am upgrading from Rockit RP5's (which are actually a great monitor for the money). I am getting either Yamaha HSM80's, Mackie HR624 or 824, KRK v6 or v8's. SO don't bid on any of these!

What really killed me tonight was during a requested (by the angry wifey) diaper change of my daughter...I missed out on a pair of HR624's that went for $300!!!!!

Sorry, just venting...for the last couple of weeks I've been stewing over doing this and it's really frustrating being poor and not being able to "buy it now"

Oh yeah...buy my stuff!!! It will make my wife happier about "buying more speakers I don't need"
http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/ron41036
post edited by Ron Vogel - 2009/01/12 01:23:24

I'm stuck in the past, but my foot's tapping forward 
Ron Vogel Soundclick page

16 Replies Related Threads

montezuma
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2520
    RE: Do you guys buy studio monitors off ebay? 2009/01/12 02:50:54 (permalink)
    God I'm glad I don't have a wife
    Jonbouy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: Do you guys buy studio monitors off ebay? 2009/01/12 05:46:28 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: montezuma

God I'm glad I don't have a wife

You could get a good P/X deal against some studio monitors with some of 'em tho, mind you most of 'em are 'louder' anyways.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: Do you guys buy studio monitors off ebay? 2009/01/12 08:50:47 (permalink)
    Good Luck Ron!

I'm sorry to hear of the frustrations.

I'll stay off the bay. :-)

best regards,
    mike

Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Do you guys buy studio monitors off ebay? 2009/01/12 11:19:42 (permalink)
    one thing I'd never buy of any auction site.. for a number of reasons..

1.. too high value, scammers are attracted to selling such things

2. the speakers themselves could be battered to s*** and need parts replaced. tweeters normally go a lot in them

3.. if they are active.. there might be something up with the electronics.
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: Do you guys buy studio monitors off ebay? 2009/01/12 12:22:33 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Fog

one thing I'd never buy of any auction site.. for a number of reasons..

1.. too high value, scammers are attracted to selling such things

2. the speakers themselves could be battered to s*** and need parts replaced. tweeters normally go a lot in them

3.. if they are active.. there might be something up with the electronics.

Surely those issues are possible with any secondhand purchase...doesn't Ebay offer any kind of protection against unfit merchandise...I find it hard to believe it doesn't.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    RE: Do you guys buy studio monitors off ebay? 2009/01/12 13:30:13 (permalink)
    Hey Ron,

I bought the Rokit 5s and lovem. Broke as dirt i finagled it by getting the demos from 2 different online stores. Risky i thought but i also thought for $90 each i can hardly go wrong considering their value/buck.
    They are in perfect health except for the occasional late night junk-food i feed them.

I just found these:
    http://www.2camping.com/custom/print-catalog.php?type=product&id=146012

I would just look for the scratch and dent sales. This time of year might be fruitful.

Good luck.

(Keep the wife....very good material for songs of all sorts and sizes)
    post edited by No How - 2009/01/12 13:34:34

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    Ron Vogel
    RE: Do you guys buy studio monitors off ebay? 2009/01/12 15:17:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: No How

Hey Ron,

I bought the Rokit 5s and lovem. Broke as dirt i finagled it by getting the demos from 2 different online stores. Risky i thought but i also thought for $90 each i can hardly go wrong considering their value/buck.
    They are in perfect health except for the occasional late night junk-food i feed them.

I just found these:
    http://www.2camping.com/custom/print-catalog.php?type=product&id=146012

I would just look for the scratch and dent sales. This time of year might be fruitful.

Good luck.

(Keep the wife....very good material for songs of all sorts and sizes)

I actually got mine for $102 + shiping ($228 total)...I sold them for more than I got them for. I'd personally stick with the G2 design for the idea behind the redesign, and the resale.

My "fall back" monitor is going to be rp8's, but I really don't want to. The rp5's served me well, but I have the room treated adequately now, and can hear limitations in them now that are giving me a real tough time in my mixes. I'm finding the best deals on KRK V8's and V6's for a step up, and am also now considering Alesis prolinear 820's...although I am not very familiar with that series.

dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    RE: Do you guys buy studio monitors off ebay? 2009/01/12 15:38:04 (permalink)

Yes, I do - I just bought a pair of HR624's for $300!!! Just kidding...

Dave

www.soundclick.com/steakbone
    rossipsu1
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1030
    RE: Do you guys buy studio monitors off ebay? 2009/01/12 16:21:35 (permalink)
    Well why don't you use a sniper program??? I use esnipe on those auctions I need to have...

Also, I outgrew my 624s a mere 6 months after I bought them and upgraded to the Event Precision 8's. I'd reconsider if you have any type of medium to large mixing area.

Ron Vogel
    RE: Do you guys buy studio monitors off ebay? 2009/01/12 23:15:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: rossipsu1
    Well why don't you use a sniper program??? I use esnipe on those auctions I need to have...

Also, I outgrew my 624s a mere 6 months after I bought them and upgraded to the Event Precision 8's. I'd reconsider if you have any type of medium to large mixing area.

My space is pretty small, and I can't use high powered monitors (or make use of them). I'm shooting for 8"s, but 6"s would be fine...in fact the 5"s I've been using can fill the room nicely, but I know I'm missing out on low bass...even at low listening levels. So, a more accurate 6" model will do if I can't swing an 8" with my budget.

Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Do you guys buy studio monitors off ebay? 2009/01/13 03:22:30 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Jonbouy

Surely those issues are possible with any secondhand purchase...doesn't Ebay offer any kind of protection against unfit merchandise...I find it hard to believe it doesn't.

Jon , well esp with speakers the mark up we pay here is MAD.. as I found when I bought mackie 824's.. and then compared it to the US price.

they do offer protection against such things, but some people are stupid enough NOT to use paypal and do money transfers when buying.

if your ever selling any high value stuff via an auction site and the buyer goes "oh it's for my cousin who is in xyz country" can you ship it there? don't.. it's a well known scam.

the other one that was on watchdog was about the fake "congrats.. you won the bid" emails.. people really need to check the header of the emails, but don't..

jon with speakers, you just want to know they work as is.. so say u were getting them from a shop or you could test them before hand , then fair enough.. the biggest example were ADAT machine years ago.. and people lying about how much studio time they had done as you could bring that up from the menu.

the other one , since ya a recluse ya might not have come across it.. people in car parks selling speakers out of a van... they are the boxes, but with say a breeze block in them.. they were doing the same with laptops at one point. These people often offer to tarmac your drive or sell ya (off cuts) of carpet.. and wear a lot of gold... if that wasn't clue enough Brad Pitt portrayed one in a guy ritchie film
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: Do you guys buy studio monitors off ebay? 2009/01/13 13:28:07 (permalink)
    I missed out on a pair of HR624's that went for $300!!!!!

I just saw a pair of HR624's in a pawn shop - for $299. So perhaps $300 wasn't that extraordinary a deal.

Try Craigslist, if that's an option where you live. Those ads expire after just one week, so if you wait until the last day if the item hasn't sold yet the seller may be motivated to negotiate on price.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    jsykes
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 631
    RE: Do you guys buy studio monitors off ebay? 2009/01/13 13:32:35 (permalink)
    I bought some brand new HSM80s a while back from an ebay seller. Arrived in mint condition.

Lots of brick and motar shops are selling on ebay.

Just make sure to check their feedback and do your homework.

Sonar Homestudio XL
    Dell laptop
    Echo Layla
    Takamine EAN-15C
    Ibanez Artcore
    Electoharmonix, Digitech, Tubescreamer, AdrennaLinn
    Advice from forum members
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Do you guys buy studio monitors off ebay? 2009/01/13 13:44:19 (permalink)
    I've bought speakers from ebay and had a great transaction. no problems whatsoever with the speakers except a cosmetic nick in the wood which was revealed by the seller in the ad - so I was well aware of it before I purchased. there are a lot of people on ebay you need to watch out for - as Jeff says - do your homework

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Ron Vogel
    RE: Do you guys buy studio monitors off ebay? 2009/01/13 17:03:00 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bitflipper

I missed out on a pair of HR624's that went for $300!!!!!

I just saw a pair of HR624's in a pawn shop - for $299. So perhaps $300 wasn't that extraordinary a deal.

Try Craigslist, if that's an option where you live. Those ads expire after just one week, so if you wait until the last day if the item hasn't sold yet the seller may be motivated to negotiate on price.

Craigslist is YRVIHGBOYTOH. To give you an example, yesterday I combed the entire nation on craislist, state by state, town by town. It took quite awhile. I looked up every Mackie, Event, KRK, and JBL monitor in my searches and sent out dozens of emails offering not only asking price, but extra for shipping too. I got back 1 reply! That reply was that the speakers were sold. It was a clossal waste of time!

Ron Vogel
    RE: Do you guys buy studio monitors off ebay? 2009/01/13 18:44:10 (permalink)
    Well, I'm happy now, not stressed!

My old KRK Rockit 5's are shipping out tonight, and I just won a set of KRK V8 series 2's. Got them for $355, so I made out pretty well from selling the 5's. I was just about ready to fall back to a set of RP8's...but I'm glad I held out. The V8's aren't probably the best out there, but they should be a considerable step up from the RP5's. It was a little stressful to think I wouldn't have anything other than cans to work with if I couldn't get new monitors for awhile. I'm just glad the whole ordeal is over (I hope).

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1