Does Anybody Know A Better Way???

Author
Featherlight
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 429
2014/05/16 19:31:01 (permalink)

Does Anybody Know A Better Way???

If you have both Sonar and Cubase installed on the same machine, it seems that Sonar's 'Record Latency Adjustment' section will automatically select the first alphabetical ASIO driver it finds which is unfortunately the Cubase Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver, which is anything but.

So far the only way I have found around this is to navigate to the Cubase folder and simply rename the file extension to .old. Is there anything in the Sonar config file that allows you to 'select' that YOUR driver is used under the "Record Latency Adjustment" part of the 'Sync and Caching' tab of Preferences instead of this method?

http://www.featherlightstudio.com/studio

Computer: Intel i7 Quad, Intel P7P55D mobo, 16gig Corsair, Nvidia 8600gs Fanless
-----------------------------------------------------
Computer: Mac Mini i7 Quad Core Server, Intel mobo, 16 gig DDR3, 2-USB3 Audio Drvs, Mavericks
Audio Interface: Mackie 1640i Firewire Mixer on a 1394 400 TI Chip
Peripherals: 3 UAD-1 PCie, Ilok 2, MIDI'd Yamaha Motif xs,

9 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: Does Anybody Know A Better Way??? 2014/05/16 20:46:40 (permalink)
    ASIO only allows one driver at a time.  Uncheck the Cubase driver, pick the one you want and check it, close and re-open SONAR.  That should do it.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Featherlight
    Re: Does Anybody Know A Better Way??? 2014/05/17 19:33:15 (permalink)
    Yeah, that's definitely true of the Devices section of the 'preferences' / 'audio' tab but I'm referring to the 'preferences' / 'audio' / 'sync and caching' tab under the 'Record Latency Adjustment ( Samples ) section.

Even with your ASIO driver selected in the Devices section, it seems Sonar still wants to do it's Latency adjustments with the alternate Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver. So I've have to re-name it for now to keep Sonar from using it even though Sonar is happy to use my actual ASIO for all the inputs and outputs. Perhaps just and odd quirk of Sonar? Never noticed it until the install of Cubase.

Computer: Intel i7 Quad, Intel P7P55D mobo, 16gig Corsair, Nvidia 8600gs Fanless
    Computer: Mac Mini i7 Quad Core Server, Intel mobo, 16 gig DDR3, 2-USB3 Audio Drvs, Mavericks
    reginaldStjohn
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 485
    Re: Does Anybody Know A Better Way??? 2014/05/19 17:28:37 (permalink)
    I have seen this as well but I just assumed it wasn't really using the device that was shown in the box. I have tried to change it and it always shows the first one in the list.  I think what happens is that you can set a different 'Record Latency Adjustment' value for each interface but it really will only use the one that is associated with the currently selected ASIO driver.

Can anyone verify this?

AMD Phenom II x6, 8 GB Ram, 2 Internal SATA III HD
    Windows 10
    Presonus Studio Live 16.0.2 Interface/Mixer
    Cakewalk Sonar Platinum
    Line6 Helix Guitar Processor 
    Custom Made (El Bandito) Telecaster
    LTD ESP EC-1000
    PRS El Torrero SE
    bz2838
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 366
    Re: Does Anybody Know A Better Way??? 2014/05/19 20:05:56 (permalink)
    I use Sonar X3e and Cubase 7.5 and haven't had any problems with ASIO, I switch between both DAWs all the time, no problems here.

Purrrfect Audio:  Intel i7 7700k (Kabylake), 32Gig DDR4/2133, Windows 10x64 Pro, USB RME Babyface, Sonar Platinum Current
    mmorgan
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 676
    Re: Does Anybody Know A Better Way??? 2014/05/19 21:01:01 (permalink)
    bz2838
    I use Sonar X3e and Cubase 7.5 and haven't had any problems with ASIO, I switch between both DAWs all the time, no problems here.

Same here, no problems. Sonar always goes to ASIO driver. Mine is called 'ASIO Fireface USB (15 in 15 out)' and the next selection is 'Generic Low Latency ASIO driver (1 in 1 out)'. Because it is a drop down list I assume maybe it is sorted alphabetically.

Regards,

Mike

Win8(64), Sonar X3e(64) w/ RME Fireface UFX.
    sven450
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 945
    Re: Does Anybody Know A Better Way??? 2014/05/19 21:06:17 (permalink)
    reginaldStjohn
    I have seen this as well but I just assumed it wasn't really using the device that was shown in the box. I have tried to change it and it always shows the first one in the list.  I think what happens is that you can set a different 'Record Latency Adjustment' value for each interface but it really will only use the one that is associated with the currently selected ASIO driver.

Can anyone verify this?

I have this issue as well, but it clearly is NOT using the one shown on the Sync and Caching tab.  Mine shows my motherboard driver, but I use a Octacapture and that is what is handling all the fun Sonar stuff.  If I try to change it, it simply reverts to showing the motherboard one.  No worries though, as everything works great regardless of what is shown on that one tab.

Sonar Platinum/Bandlab Sonar
    Roland Octa-Capture            
    Win 10 
    i7 6700  16 Gig Ram
    Some songs
    Covers:  https://soundcloud.com/cygnuss/sets/covers
    Originals:
     https://soundcloud.com/cygnuss/sets/originals
    Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Does Anybody Know A Better Way??? 2014/05/19 23:15:11 (permalink)
    I have both Sonar and Cubase, have had both for years now XP 32 bit Windows 7 64 and using 3 different ASIO interfaces, I have never had the  Generic ASIO option you are mentioning. So my thinking is this is a Mackie driver thing. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: Does Anybody Know A Better Way??? 2014/05/19 23:44:42 (permalink)
    I do not know if this applies at all, but I remember I had ASIO4ALL installed for some inane reason along while ago, and if I remember correctly, Sonar kept wanting to use the ASIO4ALL driver, because it picked the 1st one available in alphabetical order.

Twas quite the pain in the rear.  I do not run that way anymore, and it has been several years since that short-term experiment.

ASIO4ALL was banished from my system forever.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    Featherlight
    Re: Does Anybody Know A Better Way??? 2014/05/20 22:29:19 (permalink)
    Yeah, just to be clear, I can easily switch between DAWs with no problem at all and each DAW will use the correct driver for audio input/output with no problem at all. But the 'sync and caching' section will still choose the first alphabetical driver listed as the 'latency adjustment' unless you rename it, which is not a problem to do, was just curious if there was a config file setting or something I haven't yet seen in Sonar?

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1