Does Music Creator 2 support other SoundFonts?

Author
CrucifixJEL
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10
2008/10/16 14:49:11 (permalink)

Does Music Creator 2 support other SoundFonts?

Hey, it's been a while since I posted something here.

Okay, I've been using my LightSnake cable for a while along with Music Creator 2 to record my music via in audio.

But now, I want to switch back to recording MIDI because I heard that SoundFonts with real instrument sounds help make the MIDI sound real...like the piano or guitar instrument.

Now, I've tried it with a very old program called, WinGroove and its output when I record via MIDI back in the day, the sound is much better than the very generic MIDI with it's default sound. However, even with WinGroove, the sound still doesn't match "realistic instrument"...it still sounds very generic.

Now, the question is, can I use different soundfonts with real instrument sounds in Cakewalk Music Creator 2? If I could, how do I set it up in MC2?

Oh, and until I get or should I get "Midi Converter Studio 6.0" to export MIDI into audio format such as WAV or MP3 or can I actually do it in MC2? I want to export the MIDI with its desired soundFont into an audio format. How do I do that? Cuz, just going file export doesn't work.

29 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Does Music Creator 2 support other SoundFonts? 2008/10/16 15:03:50 (permalink)
    If you have problems with MC2... upgrade to MC4 for $35. I'm sure it's worth it....MC4 works well.

MC4 allows you to record audio & midi and export it effortlessly to a wave file... check it out.

Download SFZ from the link below and install the font player. Then open an audio track and see if you can insert it in the FX bin of a track as a plug in....

http://www.project5.com/products/instruments/sfz_player/default.asp

You'll need to get some fonts if you don't have any: here's a link to some... http://www.kvraudio.com/get.php you can also google for more free fonts on the net.... there's tons out there.

I know MC4 supports fonts cause I use this very same player to play my fonts....

post edited by Guitarhacker - 2008/10/16 15:08:29

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    CrucifixJEL
    RE: Does Music Creator 2 support other SoundFonts? 2008/10/16 17:32:46 (permalink)
    Okay, after checking MC4, its features sounds more amazing than my CM2.

Now I was wondering, if I purchase this product, will it "always" come with the usb MIDI cable because I currently have the old MIDI cable that requires you to stick it in a joystick port. But new computers no longer have the joystick port so that proposes a problem for me and my budget if I were to purchase the USB MIDI cable separately. And my purchase is going to be at either Circuit City or Best Buy.

Another question about MC4...

If I record using MIDI, will it produce "very real and high" quality sounds? and not like the old form of MIDI where it sounds way too generic. I know Garage Band (on the Mac only) have this function but I don't use a Mac. I use PC. It records as a MIDI but produces very "real instrument" sounds and including effects like for guitars having auto random frets and electric guitar have random distortion. Which amazes me. Now does MC4 have those capabilities?

And you said you could export MIDI directly into an audio format like WAV. I also read that it only exports to WAV forms, which is not a problem for me since I got a converter for that.

Are there any issues with the product? Because I also did some research and most the reviews I read are bad about the product like it doesn't work well with Vista which is bad if I "do" decide to switch to a new computer rather than using my current one which runs on XP. And I also heard that there something about a "wait time" with the export of WAV? I don't really understand that part. Oh, does it still work with generic sound cards?

But anyways, do tell me your pros and cons and whether or not it has the real instrument outputs using MIDI recording method (like using soundfonts or synths), and if it "always" come with the USB midi cable or not.

Animators are always several steps ahead.
    Guitarhacker
    RE: Does Music Creator 2 support other SoundFonts? 2008/10/16 19:38:57 (permalink)
    I'll answer one at a time:

will it "always" come with the usb MIDI cable

MC4 doesn't come with any cables... I would suggest downloading the program from Cakewalk...the cost is $35 downloaded...or you can go to Best Buy, Circuit City or Staples and buy it off the shelf for $40 +tax. Still no cables.

will it produce "very real and high" quality sounds? and not like the old form of MIDI where it sounds way too generic.

MC4 comes with TTS which is a decent synth that does about 127 sounds (voices/patches) that are built in. In addition, MC4 supports SFZ, a sound font (audio sample) player that plays extremely realistic sounds. Check out my soundclick page and listen to my songs...I use SFZ for bass & piano always.... TTS plays stuff like steel drums (in I'm forgiven) and accordian, to name a few.

Several people here use Band in a Box to create tracks for import into MC4. I create my tracks directly with keys & guitars.

Reviews: always take reviews with a grain of salt.... MC4 is designed to work with Vista and will work well with XP also....MC3 will not work well with Vista, that's why Cake released MC4.

Soundcards: MC4 does not work well with generic factory soundcards.... most people can get it to work OK with a couple of audio tracks BUT, the advice you will get is this: Be prepared to invest in a decent FIREWIRE or USB interface (external soundcard) in order to get the most efficient operation out of MC4. This also goes back to the question about joystick midi inputs... get an interface that supports audio and midi in one interface.

Exporting to wave: This will depend on the size of the project & how much processing (plugins, FX, synths) is needed in the export. My average export time from click to wave is about 20 seconds or so.

I use MC4 with a Focusrite Saffire interface, and it runs on a Dell 1721 Laptop. Any other questions?.... just ask.

BMI/NSAI

Malakidreams
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 894
    RE: Does Music Creator 2 support other SoundFonts? 2008/10/16 19:52:25 (permalink)
    I just downloaded the soundfont player and a sound font of strings. How do I open this in mc4? the same as vst's?
    Guitarhacker
    RE: Does Music Creator 2 support other SoundFonts? 2008/10/16 19:56:56 (permalink)
    Yes...SFZ should auto install...then just include it in the startup scan. MC4 will see it and it'll be in the list of available synths.

The sound font itself.... unzip it and remember where it unzips to. Copy the DLL file to a folder in MC4 that you set up to hold the fonts....and again, include it in the list for scanning.

First time setting up SFZ and fonts can be a bit of a challenge...so if you do not succeed the first time, ask questions and try again.... it took me a while to get it working first time.

BMI/NSAI

Malakidreams
    RE: Does Music Creator 2 support other SoundFonts? 2008/10/16 20:24:08 (permalink)
    ok, I am now able to insert the sfz player and it loads just like any other synth. I cant get any sounds. my soundfont stringsynth is showing up if I right click on the sfz players top track. It loaded 2 different tracks only 1 with record. the string synth popped up too but no noise. The second track was just the midi part so I couldnt add the sound font. Only effects. any suggestions?
    Guitarhacker
    RE: Does Music Creator 2 support other SoundFonts? 2008/10/16 20:26:30 (permalink)
    SFZ is not like TTS. You will need to insert a new instance of SFZ in a second track to get it to play a different font...

give me a minute and I'll look into my folders and check my fonts

BMI/NSAI

Malakidreams
    RE: Does Music Creator 2 support other SoundFonts? 2008/10/16 20:26:54 (permalink)
    ok, I got it to work. awesome. thanks for the help with soundfonts
    Guitarhacker
    RE: Does Music Creator 2 support other SoundFonts? 2008/10/16 20:30:45 (permalink)
    cool...that saved me some time.... fonts are amazing... now you need to find some good ones.... google (free sound fonts) and you'll find lots of fonts....

BMI/NSAI

57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: Does Music Creator 2 support other SoundFonts? 2008/10/16 20:32:26 (permalink)
    MC 2? How old is that? I had MC 2003 and MC Pro24, both of which came with the Edirol VSC software synthesizer. Do you have that in MC 2?
    A lot of people here have more experience with soft synths than me, but the quality of the TTS-1 soft synth sounds in MC 4 and various SONAR programs is way above the Edirol. But a word of caution: making a MIDI guitar sound like a guitar is more dependent on technique than the synth itself. It may sound like a guitar, but making it sound like a played guitar is a whole 'nother ball of wax.
    You can use MC 4 with most computers, what operating system do you run? I think the MC 4 Music Pack includes cords, but are they MIDI to MIDI or MIDI to USB?
    I just looked. That must be an old page. It says it comes with a USB connector and MC 3! $49.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: Does Music Creator 2 support other SoundFonts? 2008/10/17 11:52:28 (permalink)
    MC pro24 came kind of at the same time as 2003, a few months after as an upgrade, MC 2 was the next version of MC 2003, then came MC 3 and now MC 4

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    CrucifixJEL
    RE: Does Music Creator 2 support other SoundFonts? 2008/10/17 12:23:29 (permalink)
    So, MC4 doesn't come with a USB MIDI cable, huh? Man, either the Cakewalk site is outdated or they lie because the site did say that MC4 does come with a USB MIDI cable or are there two different versions? Like one that just has the software and the other has both the software and the MIDI cable.

Anyways, let's see, in MC2, one I have right now, the only way I record was just using tracks and hit the record button. Occasionally, I use fade out and fade ins. That's pretty much all I do in MC2. I use a keyboard (Yamaha YPT-300, 61-keys) and a Mono-audio Output LightSnake Cable. I do use a lot of tracks sometimes but not always. Usually I can just record on three tracks and since it's audio, I could play instruments on any tracks. Oh, and I don't have any special sound card like Sound Blaster Live. I just have the factory built on my laptop. I don't really have any problems recording on my laptop using MC2. I only have the generic sound outputs for MIDI and my lame ass LightSnake Cable only produces mono audio outputs which sucks ass and makes my Yamaha YPT-300 piano sounds sound like crap. Because you see, my YPT-300 keyboard's piano sound sounds great and almost realistic but when I plug in my LightSnake cable, it only outputs the left side of the audio and the left side of the audio sounds generic. If only I could get the right side which is the side that has the real sound...

But when it comes to recording MIDI, that's where I need to use several tracks. But again, MC2, doesn't seem to have the realistic sound feature...just the generic sound.

So with the description above, do you still think I should still get more upgrade on hardware and/or equipment for MC4? or am I just fine with my own way of recording when I DO switch to MC4...well mainly for the MIDI with real instrument sound quality output.

My "current" computer specs:
    ***Oh and I have a HP Pavilion zv6000 laptop

Win XP: Home w/ SP2
    AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+ (2.0 ghz)

2 gigs of RAM

80 gigs of Hard disk space

Graphic Card:ATI 200 Xpress series

Soundcard type: factory built? generic?

Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: Does Music Creator 2 support other SoundFonts? 2008/10/17 12:56:11 (permalink)
    ^ plays with his lightsnake!

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    Guitarhacker
    RE: Does Music Creator 2 support other SoundFonts? 2008/10/17 13:03:31 (permalink)
    Sound like the computer is up to the task... however... time to upgrade and go buy some stuff. Here's you mission...should you decide to accept it.

Upgrade to MC4....ASAP

Go to the music store and buy a new Audio/midi interface...USB or better yet FIREWIRE. (assuming the lappy has USB ports...very likely, but do check for a firewire port...as some lappys don't have a firewire port.. computer stores sell adapters that fit in a slot (PCMIA) that will allow you to add a firewire port to the lappy)

Come home and hook it up...start making music.

Mission accomplished!

The keyboard...it should have a midi output... MC4 comes with TTS...a decent soft synth with lots of sounds (patches to use)

So quit complaining about MC2 and lightsnakes (whatever that is) and do the upgrades needed to get you recording music.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2008/10/17 13:08:18

BMI/NSAI

Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Does Music Creator 2 support other SoundFonts? 2008/10/17 13:36:45 (permalink)
    a lightsnake is basically a 16bit soundcard that allows you to plug your guitar into a usb port.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    CrucifixJEL
    RE: Does Music Creator 2 support other SoundFonts? 2008/10/17 13:39:16 (permalink)
    Okay, before I actually do go out and purchase MC4 and MIDI cable USB or Firewire as you recommended, I opened up my MC2 and I did noticed that it has Synths. DXi Synths and EDIROL VSC. I've never used those before but I tried doing so. I assume they're suppose to work with MIDI recording...right?

Well, if they do work with MIDI recording, I tested it out recording a MIDI track. Problem is, I don't hear any sound or my MIDI doesn't record even with the ARM button on and the record button pressed. So, what do I do to enable it, assume it's "main menus" are similar to MC4. Is this a hardware issue or do I have to tweak the program?

I just wanted to see if my synths are actually what I want...MIDI with real instrument sounds...

They synths also have instruments built in too...but I can't record or hear any of them. How to fix that?

Guitarhacker
    RE: Does Music Creator 2 support other SoundFonts? 2008/10/17 14:20:59 (permalink)
    Go to www.herbhartley.com navigate to the music page on MC4 & TTS... instead.... use your sound card and your ederol synth..the principal should be the same... get the inputs and outputs right and directed to the proper tracks and it should work OK

lets hope so...

BMI/NSAI

CrucifixJEL
    RE: Does Music Creator 2 support other SoundFonts? 2008/10/17 14:39:24 (permalink)
    what is TTS? is it a synth? 'Cuz in my MC2, it doesn't have that. It only have DreamStation Dxi2 and Edirol VSC synth. So would I be experiencing "any" problems?

Oh, and I don't have my Keyboard or cables with me at the moment so I'm just using the piano rollout to test record on the computer only.
    post edited by CrucifixJEL - 2008/10/17 14:42:29

57Gregy
    RE: Does Music Creator 2 support other SoundFonts? 2008/10/17 14:42:02 (permalink)
    The soft synths use a MIDI input to output the sound as an audio track. If you want to hear the synth while recording, you need to press the input echo or input monitoring button.
    If you already have MIDI tracks created, insert the soft synth and change the outputs of your MIDI tracks to the Edirol or DreamStation DXi soft synths (I think that's what you have).
    There are several ways to hear MIDI sounds: the on-board sound card's Microsoft GS Wavetable Synthesizer, which will work, but doesn't sound very real; A MIDI keyboard or sound module, which have hardware synths in them, you have to select your audio interface's MIDI output to direct the MIDI data to those devices; A software synthesizer such as Edirol VSC, DreamStation DXi, Triangle II (free download at cakewalk.com), the newer TTS-1 available with MC 4 and SONAR programs, and many others you can get from other vendors, for $ or maybe some for free; Sound Font players, guitarhacker uses those a lot, but I haven't really tried those, yet.
    When you go to the musical instrument store, look for the MC program that includes the MIDI to USB cord. You can probably find those at Best Buy or Circuit City, that's where I got my original MC 2003 that came with the MIDI to gameport connector.
    post edited by 57Gregy - 2008/10/17 15:06:10

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.

Guitarhacker
    RE: Does Music Creator 2 support other SoundFonts? 2008/10/17 14:53:14 (permalink)
    ederol is the synth you have in MC2 so use it... select the proper patch to make the sound you want....

If you upgrade to MC4 you will have TTS as one of 3 synths.

just insert ederol and set it up as I describe on my site...I'm thinking it works basically the same way as TTS...

BMI/NSAI

RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: Does Music Creator 2 support other SoundFonts? 2008/10/17 15:00:05 (permalink)
    Are you trying to enter notes in the piano roll view while recording is enabled?

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    CrucifixJEL
    RE: Does Music Creator 2 support other SoundFonts? 2008/10/17 15:04:52 (permalink)
    yea, I'm trying to test out whether my synths are working or not on the MIDI track using the Piano roll sheet. And yes, I made sure, the piano roll sheet was the Midi track's. I don't have my keyboard or cable with me at the moment so I'm just using my touch pad on my laptop to test out sounds by creating midi.

RobertB
    RE: Does Music Creator 2 support other SoundFonts? 2008/10/17 15:14:25 (permalink)
    Ok. Entering notes in the piano roll works a little different from normal recording.
    With the track armed and recording, your cursor is probably disabled and looks like a circle with a line through it.
    Disarm the track. Now you should be able to manually click some random notes into the piano roll.
    Wherever you click, you should see dots and dashes appear in the PRV.
    Once you have some notes in the track, rewind and hit play.
    If your routing is correct, you should hear sound from Edirol VSC, and the meter on one of the parts in the Edirol GUI should move.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    57Gregy
    RE: Does Music Creator 2 support other SoundFonts? 2008/10/17 15:15:18 (permalink)
    Yamaha YPT-300

Be advised that some (Most? All?) Yamaha's don't work with MIDI to USB cords not made by Yamaha. So if you buy the MC program that includes the MIDI to USB cord, it may not work with your Yamaha.

Greg 

CrucifixJEL
    RE: Does Music Creator 2 support other SoundFonts? 2008/10/17 15:18:07 (permalink)
    Really? I'm using a Joystick MIDI cable that came from Voyettra programs and it worked fine on my Yamaha YPT-300 keyboard.

RobertB
    RE: Does Music Creator 2 support other SoundFonts? 2008/10/17 15:29:06 (permalink)
    They are different animals.
    The Joystick/MIDI adapter is a direct serial connection. It simply rearranges the wiring from the 5-pin DIN MIDI to the 15-pin joystick port.
    The MIDI/USB adapters put the signal through a bit of conversion, and some timing glitches can come into play.
    For some reason, Yamaha keyboards tend to be particularly sensitive to this, and they don't seem to communicate well with USB adapters from other manufacturers.
    post edited by RobertB - 2008/10/17 15:45:09

My Soundclick Page

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    57Gregy
    RE: Does Music Creator 2 support other SoundFonts? 2008/10/17 15:30:01 (permalink)
    Yes, but that's not a MIDI to USB connector.
    Are you considering getting a new computer? If not, the MIDI to gameport connector will continue to work on your present computer regardless of which MC program you're using.
    post edited by 57Gregy - 2008/10/17 15:53:05

Greg 

RobertB
    RE: Does Music Creator 2 support other SoundFonts? 2008/10/17 15:39:42 (permalink)
    In each "part" of Edirol VSC, you will see a preview (PREV) button. you can click on that to hear the sound of the selected patch (instrument).
    In the Instrument window, click on the down arrow to select different sounds to audition.
    If you have a bank and patch selected in your MIDI track, it will override the patch you have auditioned.
    post edited by RobertB - 2008/10/17 15:46:48

My Soundclick Page

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    57Gregy
    RE: Does Music Creator 2 support other SoundFonts? 2008/10/17 15:46:31 (permalink)
    I've been looking at your keyboard at the Yamaha site and see that it has Phones / Aux. Out L/R. If you want to hear the keyboard's stereo output, dispense with the Light Snake and buy the necessary cords to connect this audio output to your sound card's stereo line input. Probably a 1/4" stereo (TRS) plug to 1/8" stereo (TRS) plug. Available at any Radio Shack.

Greg 

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1