Does SONAR hate me? :)

Author
Arch Dandy
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6
2005/07/28 13:19:33 (permalink)

Does SONAR hate me? :)

Hi guys,

Well - I had to make the subject header catchy or you wouldn't want to read another annoying whine from a newbie about some MIDI crisis in SONAR! I'll start by saying I'm a HUGE fan of Cakewalk SONAR and I've been using it for years now. I'm really hoping that this "issue" I'm having will not force me to look at other sequencing software.

Ok - I'll give you the facts :

I recently purchased a Roland SH-32 synthesizer module. I hooked it up to my MOTU Microlite USB-MIDI interface, attaching the SH32 MIDI IN port to the Microlite's MIDI OUT Port 5. I'm using Cakewalk SONAR 1.2 sequencing software and I control all my sound modules with a Yamaha CS2X controller keyboard. The Roland SH-32 is transmitting MIDI information (the indicator lights flash on the Microlite and in SONAR) but absolutely no sound is heard - even though I've set up all the right channels in Sonar. The only way I can hear the SH-32 at all is if I set it to "Preview" mode, or go into "System, Local: ON, Remote: ON. I cannot record any MIDI data from the SH-32 into Sonar whatsoever. I have set the SH-32's MIDI Channel to "1" - which matches the Send and Receive Channel of my Yamaha CS2X controller keyboard and Cakewalk Sonar. When I attempt to connect both the MIDI IN and OUT of the SH32 to the Microlite's MIDI IN and OUT (Port 5) it begins to freeze, notes get stuck and it produces distorted jittering noise. I've tried thining out the MIDI sysex data stream in Sonar, only Note On/Off, Pitch Bend, Program changes are transmitted. I've set the MIDI Options in Sonar to "Echo On" every MIDI channel 1-16.

I know this longwinded description sounds like troubleshooting the Roland SH-32 itself, rather than SONAR - but the tech guys at Roland Canada have advised me to address the issue in the Cakewalk SONAR forums.. and the SH-32 appears to be working fine in other sequencing studio environments. The issue seems to be software related.

I'll give you some more information on my MIDI rig :

Microlite Port Assignments :

Port 1 : Korg Poly 800 II synth
Port 2 : Not used
Port 3: Yamaha CS2X controller keyboard
Port 4: Not used
Port 5: Roland SH-32 synth module

Roland SH-32 - MIDI IN connected to MOTU Microlite MIDI OUT - Port 5. When I attempt to connect the SH-32 MIDI IN & OUT to my Microlite's corresponding MIDI IN & OUT port - the MIDI notes get stuck, it freezes and the sounds distort. (in Cakewalk Sonar)

SH-32 System settings: Local: ON, Remote: ON, Thru: OFF, Midi Channel: 1, Clock: MIDI. I have set the SH-32 back to it's original Factory settings.

The SH-32 only plays when set to "Preview" mode or "Remote" - otherwise it's silent.

Ideally, I want to set up a system where I can play & control my Korg Poly 800 synth, my Roland SH-32 and my Creative Lab's Audigy SoundFonts from my main Yamaha CS2X controller keyboard. I want to be able to record MIDI from each of these sound sources in SONAR and hear them all independently. I can record any of my Yamaha CS2X and Korg Poly 800 tracks flawlessly into SONAR - it works great. However, Soundfonts can not be recorded "live" as I'm playing (only if step entered in Piano Roll mode) and the Sh-32.. well, it just isn't happening at all.

Ok - by now you're as sick of this as I am! I'm a fairly experienced MIDI user and music producer so this whole thing is driving me up the wall. I've tried every possible combination of trying to make logical sense of this - and just haven't made any progress whatsoever. I have a brand new SH-32 sitting around collecting dust because I cannot utilize it.

I would be very grateful for any suggestions, random insights or guidance from the SONAR dieties.

Best regards,

Billy.

15 Replies Related Threads

dcastle
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2623
    RE: Does SONAR hate me? :) 2005/07/28 13:28:08 (permalink)
    Greetings Arch,

Welcome to this forum. I don't know a thing about MIDI, everything I do is audio, but I wanted to complement you on your question. I think you have written the best first post I have ever seen. I know that you think a catchy subject is important, but I'll bet you get more response from a more accurate one. We are a very technical group here --- you can edit it by clicking on the edit icon in the upper right hand corner of your post.

Regards,
    David

BTW, Have you tried the Search Feature to see if this was addressed in the past?

ASUS M3A78 AMD 9950 Quad 2.6G 8GB
    Shure • Rhode • Audio-Technica • Allen&Heath GL2200-24
    MOTU 24i • Presonus Firepod • E-MU 1212m • Zoom H2
    SONAR 2XL-8PE • Sound Forge 1-9 • Audacity 0.1-1.3
    Arch Dandy
    RE: Does SONAR hate me? :) 2005/07/28 13:46:42 (permalink)
    Thanks for the welcome - and the advice.

In the future, I will restrict my subject header lines to "just the facts".

Cheers,

Billy
    Mr. Ease
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 960
    RE: Does SONAR hate me? :) 2005/07/28 13:57:32 (permalink)
    The first thing I would suggest is to download the patches to take you to Sonar 1.3.1 which was the last release of Sonar 1. There were three patches for V1, Patch 1.02, 1.30 and 1.31. I think you should try these before trying anything else as I am certain (from memory) that various relevant issues got addressed in these patches. It is a while ago now though! If you are a heavy MIDI user I would certainly upgrade to V4 as there are many enhancements, particularly when using multiple MIDI inputs. You can now select which port an input is to use. Sonar 1 (any version) does NOT recognise seperate MIDI input ports - so you ONLY have 16 input channels. If two devices share a channel you WILL have trouble.

Otherwise I would guess that you will need to make sure that all your seperate inputs to Sonar use a different MIDI channel. Things will get very confused if all your MIDI comes in on channel 1 as you imply! What exactly will you be recording? Korg, SH32 or CS2X?? Am I missing something here from your post as it seems (although not explicitly) you have set ALL devices to channel one and are creating a MIDI race where every event is getting recreated multiple times.
    post edited by Mr. Ease - 2005/07/28 14:05:15
    b3gsus@msn.com
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1293
    RE: Does SONAR hate me? :) 2005/07/28 14:18:14 (permalink)
    Hey Billy & Welcome!
    I can't remember how the midi is layed out in V1 but I use 15 midi keyboards/modules & soft synths on top of that. I know for me if I want to record one particular module/Keyboard from one of my Controllers, I have to input the Controller & midi channel to say track #1 input & then the output is actually the Module/Keyboard that I want to hear with the same midi channel selected....Now on Sonar 4 Producer there is an, "Input Echo" button that must be on for me to be able to hear what I'm playing from my Controller... I'll see if I can find my old Software to look at it as I just can't recall the way midi worked in that Version.....

Another thing to try would be to just plug your SH-32 midi out #1 to midi input #1 of your interface & out of your interface to the input of your SH-32. Then plug your controller into #2 input of your interface & see if your still locking it up??? I know I've been to Hell & back when I came back from a out of town session & somehow plugged the Midi cables wrong & it locked up every time!!! I know I can't offer a lot but it might help to start off seeing if your new Module is working correct!! NC Wildman

I would be very grateful for any suggestions, random insights or guidance from the SONAR dieties

Wildman,,aka,,,"Nick Danger"
    Studiocat Core2Quad Q9550 w/P45 Cset XP-Pro Sonar Pro 8, 2 FF 800, Wclock, Avalon VT-737, Focusrite V Master,Eureka, 2-LA-4s, Neumann U87,TLM-103,Rode NTK,MCU,Event SP8s, DynAudio BM5As VS-2480 4 DA88
    2-Mackie 24/8buss
    Arch Dandy
    RE: Does SONAR hate me? :) 2005/07/28 14:35:26 (permalink)
    Mr. Ease,

I believe I have downloaded the patches once upon a time.. but it wouldn't hurt to try this once again. Thanks for the suggestion - I'll give it a shot tonight.

Just to clarify your queries :

I must have not explained myself clearly in my initial post. I certainly do not have all my MIDI inputs set to Channel 1. Each seperate MOTU Microlite MIDI In and Out port has been assigned an individual MIDI Channel 1 - 16 within SONAR to avoid possible clashes. Each instrument in my rig is definetely on their own MIDI channel so there's no conflicts. However, my Yamaha CS2X controller synthesizer is set to "Transmit and Receive" MIDI data on Channel 1 - as is my Roland SH-32. These settings are made in the MIDI options of each instrument - not within SONAR itself.

Its frustrating that when I hook up BOTH the MIDI IN and OUT cables from the Roland SH-32 into my MOTU Microlite - all hell breaks loose! MIDI notes get stuck and hang perpetually, bizarro glitch noise spews forth and the SH-32 freezes up. It's almost like SONAR is transmitting way too much information to it for the synth module to handle. Like I mentioned earlier, I have tried to "thin" the messages being transmitted from SONAR - just keeping the basics. (NOTE ON / OFF, Pitch Bend, Velocity etc.)

You asked what exactly am I recording? Well - ideally I'd like to be able to arm a track in SONAR, press record and play & hear the instrument assigned to that track. When I press "stop" - I would like to see the MIDI notes I've just recorded "live". I want to be able to do this for not only my Yamaha CS2X controller synth (currently the only one that works!) but everything else I use as well (Korg Poly 800 synth, CreativeLabs Soundfonts, Roland SH-32 synth module)

Alright - enough ramble. Thanks so much again guys.

Otherwise I would guess that you will need to make sure that all your seperate inputs to Sonar use a different MIDI channel. Things will get very confused if all your MIDI comes in on channel 1 as you imply! What exactly will you be recording? Korg, SH32 or CS2X?? Am I missing something here from your post as it seems (although not explicitly) you have set ALL devices to channel one and are creating a MIDI race where every event is getting recreated multiple times.

WFTurner
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 770
    RE: Does SONAR hate me? :) 2005/07/28 15:12:47 (permalink)
    I know that you think a catchy subject is important, but I'll bet you get more response from a more accurate one. We are a very technical group here --- you can edit it by clicking on the edit icon in the upper right hand corner of your post.

DC's kind of the resident make sure you have the most politically, technically properly spelled thread titles. I never have to ask questions in this forum. If I did I'd probably just go ahead and PM DCastle for aknowledgement that I had done it correctly so as not to have the accomplishment of asking a question, by perfectly explaining the problem and my system (which hardly ever happens around here but you did) blemished by the fact that I didn't write an approved title thread.

You have a different kind of setup than you so I'll politely move on and watch for the chaps that have the experience with the type of system you have to move in and help.

Good Luck

William F. Turner
    songwriter
    My Music

Craig Anderton's SSS
    My other favorite forum
    dcastle
    RE: Does SONAR hate me? :) 2005/07/28 15:51:35 (permalink)
    Hey, that's not fair! You didn't quote my whole statement. Isn't it bad form to take comments out of context?

Welcome to this forum. I don't know a thing about MIDI, everything I do is audio, but I wanted to complement you on your question. I think you have written the best first post I have ever seen.

How complementary do I have to be before I am allowed to suggest anything?

Regards,
    David

LoopJunkie
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2466
    RE: Does SONAR hate me? :) 2005/07/28 20:23:14 (permalink)
    I've set the MIDI Options in Sonar to "Echo On" every MIDI channel 1-16.

I really don't remember S1 too well - wasn't there an "Auto" option for that? Tried that?

MIDI notes get stuck and hang perpetually, bizarro glitch noise spews forth and the SH-32 freezes up. It's almost like SONAR is transmitting way too much information to it for the synth module to handle.

I think of 2 things immediately
    - Sometimes MIDI cables can be wired wrong and wreak havoc, try others
    - MIDI feedback loop, I had that with the EMU Xtreme Lead when I tried to record sequenced drum patterns from that unit triggered by MIDI notes on the track, sounded like heavy machine guns in WWII, until it finally choked. That points back again to that Echo parameter ...

Of course it still can be that the unit is faulty.

If all else fails: record the sequence with another of your synths and assign the track afterwards to the SH-32?

EDIT: If you change the thread title to something with "SH-32 " in it - you may get actually responses from people who have that same synth ...
    post edited by LoopJunkie - 2005/07/28 20:30:08

loop

dcastle
    RE: Does SONAR hate me? :) 2005/07/29 01:14:57 (permalink)
    Ooh! Be careful or the big bad wolf will say bad things about you.
    EDIT: If you change the thread title to something with "SH-32 " in it - you may get actually responses from people who have that same synth ...

cornieleous
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 809
    RE: Does SONAR hate me? :) 2005/07/29 02:33:28 (permalink)
    The only way I can hear the SH-32 at all is if I set it to "Preview" mode, or go into "System, Local: ON, Remote: ON. I cannot record any MIDI data from the SH-32 into Sonar whatsoever. I have set the SH-32's MIDI Channel to "1" - which matches the Send and Receive Channel of my Yamaha CS2X controller keyboard and Cakewalk Sonar. When I attempt to connect both the MIDI IN and OUT of the SH32 to the Microlite's MIDI IN and OUT (Port 5) it begins to freeze, notes get stuck and it produces distorted jittering noise. I've tried thining out the MIDI sysex data stream in Sonar, only Note On/Off, Pitch Bend, Program changes are transmitted. I've set the MIDI Options in Sonar to "Echo On" every MIDI channel 1-16.

Sounds like a classic feedback loop to me. Thinning out data if there is a data conflict will do you no good, thats not exactly the use of such a method.

You CANNOT (in almost every case) successfully operate multiple MIDI synths with a sequencer while any of the synths is set to Local On. The 'Local On' setting is what instructs your synthesizer to patch its keys/controls directly to its sound engine. This typically causes note doubling if the synth is also recieving MIDI instructions for note on/off. Additionally, if you have Remote On, you are allowing another synth or software MIDI instruction to make changes to the settings of that synth. Add the fact that you are echoing every MIDI channel, and you have a decent recipe for a MIDI loop.

You need to set any keyboard or hardware controller to local OFF. Also, set them all on discreet ports if possible, and if they are daisy chained then you need to enable the through port and designate channels for each to avoid note doubling.

However, Soundfonts can not be recorded "live" as I'm playing (only if step entered in Piano Roll mode) and the Sh-32.. well, it just isn't happening at all.

This tells me you do not have MIDI input from the keyboards correctly routed, only correctly routed to the output. Also explains why you had to set Local to ON to get sound.

I suggest a review of your settings on each synth, step by step, and refer to manuals if possible for explanations of each setting.

Hopefully this will be of some help to you. As a MIDI veteran I am doubtful that this issue is caused by Sonar based on the behaviors you have described.

EDIT: have you tested for MIDI activity on the OUT port of the SH-32? This would be a quick way to verify if the unit may have suffered a malfunction. Of course you would need to carefully ensure it is set up to transmit MIDI first.

Dave

post edited by cornieleous - 2005/07/29 02:44:21
    Mr. Ease
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 960
    RE: Does SONAR hate me? :) 2005/07/29 10:10:23 (permalink)

Each instrument in my rig is definetely on their own MIDI channel so there's no conflicts. However, my Yamaha CS2X controller synthesizer is set to "Transmit and Receive" MIDI data on Channel 1 - as is my Roland SH-32. These settings are made in the MIDI options of each instrument - not within SONAR itself.

This is exactly what I meant. You don't have to have everything on channel 1. Just these two will do nicely for a MIDI race. The settings within Sonar become irrelevant. I am certain that you have a MIDI race created by these settings AND using a Sonar version that cannot discriminate between the different input ports. One alternative to try and control all these MIDI problems in V1 is to use the MIDI-OX and/or MIDI Yoke by Jamie O'Connell. This will allow you to set up the MIDI more as you wish. I used it with V1 but not for this problem - I had timing/sync issues due to what I believe is still a problem using MIDI timing from the hardware. Newer version implement an option to ignore these hardware generated time stamps. V1 did not and there was no workaround other than using the MIDI-OX software.
    Arch Dandy
    RE: Does SONAR hate me? :) 2005/07/29 19:08:45 (permalink)
    Dave,

Thanks for your thoughtful advice - it's the best I've received yet. I am aware of the havoc that "Local On" can cause within a MIDI setup, however I resorted to it simply because it was the only way I could hear the SH-32 unit play at all. When I turn off the "Remote" and "Local" settings - there is simply no sound or MIDI recording capabilities at all. However, I'm going to give it another try this weekend - taking a long hard look at each element of my MIDI connections. I have a very simple setup and I refuse to be daunted by this annoyance!

I thank you all for your assistance. I've made a "Troubleshooting Guide" that contains all of your suggestions thusfar. Hopefully the next message you'll get from me is a joyous proclamation of MIDI triumph!

Billy

The 'Local On' setting is what instructs your synthesizer to patch its keys/controls directly to its sound engine. This typically causes note doubling if the synth is also recieving MIDI instructions for note on/off. Additionally, if you have Remote On, you are allowing another synth or software MIDI instruction to make changes to the settings of that synth. Add the fact that you are echoing every MIDI channel, and you have a decent recipe for a MIDI loop.

You need to set any keyboard or hardware controller to local OFF. Also, set them all on discreet ports if possible, and if they are daisy chained then you need to enable the through port and designate channels for each to avoid note doubling.

However, Soundfonts can not be recorded "live" as I'm playing (only if step entered in Piano Roll mode) and the Sh-32.. well, it just isn't happening at all.

This tells me you do not have MIDI input from the keyboards correctly routed, only correctly routed to the output. Also explains why you had to set Local to ON to get sound.

I suggest a review of your settings on each synth, step by step, and refer to manuals if possible for explanations of each setting.

Hopefully this will be of some help to you. As a MIDI veteran I am doubtful that this issue is caused by Sonar based on the behaviors you have described.

EDIT: have you tested for MIDI activity on the OUT port of the SH-32? This would be a quick way to verify if the unit may have suffered a malfunction. Of course you would need to carefully ensure it is set up to transmit MIDI first.

Dave

Arch Dandy
    RE: Victory! 2005/08/10 13:29:17 (permalink)
    Hi guys,

I just had to sign on again and let you know that I have solved my problems - thanks to all the advice you folks gave me. I'm indebted and grateful! I won't go into the details.. but basically it came down to a combination of problems, stemming from incorrect MIDI settings within the Roland SH-32 itself, a very cryptic and frustrating Roland manual and bigtime MIDI feedback loops occuring because everything was being forced to the the same MIDI channels. Anyhow - it's all working beautifully now.. I can record and play back 4 seperate patches from the SH-32 in SONAR, and there's no more stutter in the notes.

Many thanks again to you all.

M
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1516
    RE: Does SONAR hate me? :) 2005/08/10 13:54:58 (permalink)
    I think you have written the best first post I have ever seen.

Way, way, way OT, I know; but I think losguy still holds the distinction for writing the best first post of any new forumite in this millenium. (Remember? It was about PCI latency. Wow, that was a post!)

Anyway. . . Carry on!

M
    losguy
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5506
    RE: Does SONAR hate me? :) 2005/08/15 11:42:56 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: M
    I think you have written the best first post I have ever seen.

Way, way, way OT, I know; but I think losguy still holds the distinction for writing the best first post of any new forumite in this millenium. (Remember? It was about PCI latency. Wow, that was a post!)
    Anyway. . . Carry on!
    M

...and it's been nothing but downhill ever since!

Hi M, thanks for the kind words!

Psalm 30:12
    All pure waves converge at the Origin
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1