Does anyone else have this problem - renaming project?

Author
35mm
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1105
2017/08/17 18:34:44 (permalink)

Does anyone else have this problem - renaming project?

My song writing/composing work flow often involves winding up Sonar, coming up with a riff on guitar, bass, synth etc. Working out a structure and then writing lyrics etc. I often don't have a title for the song/tune until the later stages of the project. So when I create the project in the first place I give it a date stamp as a title e.g. 20170817. Usually, when I settle on a more descriptive name I will do a save as... with the new name. I then have to dig into my project drive and find the old date stamped project directory and delete it, but that's tricky due to the number of projects in there and it's unsafe as I could potentially get the dates mixed up and delete the wrong project!

Is there a better method of changing a project's name with the projects directory and file reflecting the new name? Or should this be a feature request e.g. File > Change project name?

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.

18 Replies Related Threads

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Does anyone else have this problem - renaming project? 2017/08/17 19:35:49 (permalink)
    If you fear deleting the wrong project instead of using "Save As" rename the project folder and file using Windows Explorer. You can always perform a "Save As" later to trim the project. Should the wrong project get renamed nothing has been deleted and recovered would not require a restore from backup.
    Unknowen
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1276
    Re: Does anyone else have this problem - renaming project? 2017/08/17 20:21:30 (permalink)
    35mm
    My song writing/composing work flow often involves winding up Sonar, coming up with a riff on guitar, bass, synth etc. Working out a structure and then writing lyrics etc. I often don't have a title for the song/tune until the later stages of the project. So when I create the project in the first place I give it a date stamp as a title e.g. 20170817. Usually, when I settle on a more descriptive name I will do a save as... with the new name. I then have to dig into my project drive and find the old date stamped project directory and delete it, but that's tricky due to the number of projects in there and it's unsafe as I could potentially get the dates mixed up and delete the wrong project!

Is there a better method of changing a project's name with the projects directory and file reflecting the new name? Or should this be a feature request e.g. File > Change project name?

This is a real issue with me. it all has to do with how Sonar saves audio wavs in a project and saving a project then say deleting or changing track audio data in the new project but you are still in the file structure of the original project so if you delete a track in say project copy 2 you also delete the wav file for the original project copy 1

I always create a CWB file then open it and save it as a new project before modifying anything in 2nd generation of a project.

Hay look,
    Somethings are not locked in stone... lol 3/18/2019
    35mm
    Re: Does anyone else have this problem - renaming project? 2017/08/17 23:24:53 (permalink)
    scook
    If you fear deleting the wrong project instead of using "Save As" rename the project folder and file using Windows Explorer. You can always perform a "Save As" later to trim the project. Should the wrong project get renamed nothing has been deleted and recovered would not require a restore from backup.

I'm pretty sure I tried that before but found that changing the directory name broke the paths for the project. That's why I've been doing it with a save as. It would be nice if the project name could be changed in Sonar so that it can update file paths referenced in the project file and update the recent projects list and keep everything in sync.

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
    Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Does anyone else have this problem - renaming project? 2017/08/17 23:27:38 (permalink)
    First. Before doing anything you should have a back up copy of everything. 

I often re name projects. 
    Using Save as and renaming a project in place in the same folder uses almost nothing in hard drive storage. 
    CWP files are small. 
    It just gives you the option of having multiple versions of the same song easily retrieved. 

If you save as to a new location and check the copy audio box then there you go. why worry about the old version? Hard drives are huge and if it bothers you just move that folder to a back up drive. I don not ever, ever delete anything I do in Sonar. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Does anyone else have this problem - renaming project? 2017/08/17 23:38:22 (permalink)
    As long as the default per-project audio layout is used, paths stored in the project file are relative to the project location. Otherwise fully qualified names are used.
    35mm
    Re: Does anyone else have this problem - renaming project? 2017/08/17 23:56:36 (permalink)
    Cactus Music

Using Save as and renaming a project in place in the same folder uses almost nothing in hard drive storage. 
    CWP files are small. 
    It just gives you the option of having multiple versions of the same song easily retrieved. 

If you save as to a new location and check the copy audio box then there you go. why worry about the old version? Hard drives are huge and if it bothers you just move that folder to a back up drive. I don not ever, ever delete anything I do in Sonar. 

I do have backups, but auto backups will remove stuff that's been removed from the source. I normally do save as for saving versions and like you save them in the same directory with a, b, c etc added to the file name. But when you do a save as can you change the name of the project directory and save into that? I imagine that would fail. I worry about getting rid of the old named version because when I am browsing through projects in various states of complesion, I don't want a whole load of duplicates and duplicate audio taking up space. Apart from backups, I have a single directory for each project with multiple versions of the project in that along with versioning, audio, mixes and everything else related to that project.

35mm
    Re: Does anyone else have this problem - renaming project? 2017/08/17 23:58:09 (permalink)
    scook
    As long as the default per-project audio layout is used, paths stored in the project file are relative to the project location. Otherwise fully qualified names are used.

OK thanks for the info I'll give that another go.

Kev999
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3922
    Re: Does anyone else have this problem - renaming project? 2017/08/18 01:23:04 (permalink)
    35mm
    ...when I create the project in the first place I give it a date stamp as a title e.g. 20170817...
    ...but that's tricky due to the number of projects in there and it's unsafe as I could potentially get the dates mixed up and delete the wrong project...

I would add a silly random word to end of the timestamp string. This will make it easier to recognise and identify each file.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
    Having fun at work lately
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re: Does anyone else have this problem - renaming project? 2017/08/18 07:52:06 (permalink)
    11Dreams

This is a real issue with me. it all has to do with how Sonar saves audio wavs in a project and saving a project then say deleting or changing track audio data in the new project but you are still in the file structure of the original project so if you delete a track in say project copy 2 you also delete the wav file for the original project copy 1

I always create a CWB file then open it and save it as a new project before modifying anything in 2nd generation of a project.

I don't think so (?). AFAIK deleting a track never deletes the audio from from the Audio-folder. Or do I misunderstand your message?

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    soens
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5154
    Re: Does anyone else have this problem - renaming project? 2017/08/18 08:41:26 (permalink)
    Deleting a track or audio clip won't delete the associated wave file especially if another project in that folder uses it as well.

I create a song folder for each song. As I make major edits I "Save-As" the song name followed by a successive number:

[Folder] SongByMe -
      SongByMe01.cwp
      SongByMe02.cwp
      SongByMe03.cwp

When I mix one down to a stereo wave to analyze, I give it that version's name and number: SongByMe03.wav. As I compare wave files I can tell which cwp was better.

They all share the same Audio folder too so that can get a little stuffed over time as my biggest projects have over 50 saved cwp files in it.  I don't use cwb files cause they end up confusing my file structure.
    post edited by soens - 2017/08/18 09:50:37
    THambrecht
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 867
    Re: Does anyone else have this problem - renaming project? 2017/08/18 09:00:25 (permalink)
    We give the projects a client number + sub number like 19746_011.
    The more detailes and names are in the database.

We digitize tapes, vinyl, dat, md ... in broadcast and studio quality for publishers, public institutions and individuals.
    4 x Intel Quad-CPU, 4GHz Sonar Platinum (Windows 10 - 64Bit) and 14 computers for recording tapes, vinyl ...

4 x RME Fireface 800, 2 x Roland Octa Capture and 4 x Roland Quad Capture, Focusrite .... Studer A80, RP99, EMT948 ...

(Germany)  http://www.hambrecht.de
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re: Does anyone else have this problem - renaming project? 2017/08/18 10:19:00 (permalink)
    35mm
    Cactus Music

CWP files are small. 

I do have backups, but auto backups will remove stuff that's been removed from the source. I normally do save as for saving versions and like you save them in the same directory with a, b, c etc added to the file name. But when you do a save as can you change the name of the project directory and save into that? I imagine that would fail. I worry about getting rid of the old named version because when I am browsing through projects in various states of completion, I don't want a whole load of duplicates and duplicate audio taking up space. Apart from backups, I have a single directory for each project with multiple versions of the project in that along with versioning, audio, mixes and everything else related to that project.

Yes!
    Once you've done this you can safely delete all of your old versions with impunity.
    But PLEASE make sure you've got "Copy Audio With Project" checked when you do the Save As

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    dcmg
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 393
    Re: Does anyone else have this problem - renaming project? 2017/08/18 14:15:38 (permalink)
    I keep all "save as" revisions within original folder.
    If the project grows, I create a "DNU" folder (Do Not Use) within for the versions I want to keep but don't want to see cluttering up my folder. I often move the outdated ones to that folder and do a final clean out when project is done. 

Takes a few seconds a day to manage, keeps all options open until the end. Less visual clutter.

CWBL/SPlat/Studio One Pro on Win10-64 Bit
    Asrock H370 Pro4 w/Intel i7-8700
    16GB Adata DDR4 2666 RAM
    All SSD's/ On-Board Intel Graphics
    Apollo 8 Quad FW/TB, AD2, Trillian, Omni, S-Gear, Waves, Soundtoys, TRacks, 
    MicPres: Langevin DVC, Great River, UAD LA610Mk2. 
    Dynaudio Monitors, and other stuff.
    Anderton
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Does anyone else have this problem - renaming project? 2017/08/18 16:10:07 (permalink)
    So here's my way of dealing with this, because I have the same situation as the OP.

When I create a project that has no defined name as yet, I type the date followed by a string of nonsense characters. So the file name might be something like 20170818dfdsfjhdsklfhdjsfdsjkdfsiop.

When the song takes shape, I Save As... with the proper name. Every now and then I go to my projects folder and sort by date, then delete anything with a long and stupid name that's older than a few months.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: Does anyone else have this problem - renaming project? 2017/08/18 16:28:04 (permalink)
    For those who seem to create various versions of their cwp file; Have you tried Versioning?

Preferences>Files>Advanced check Versioning including frequency of each version. Press F1 while at that check box for detailed info to make sure it's right for you.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Does anyone else have this problem - renaming project? 2017/08/18 17:49:11 (permalink)
    mudgel
    For those who seem to create various versions of their cwp file; Have you tried Versioning?

Yes but there is no control over the version names with the automated process. When I create a new "version" I can give it a meaningful name. Automatic versioning still serves a purpose as a safety measure.
    soens
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5154
    Re: Does anyone else have this problem - renaming project? 2017/08/18 20:20:25 (permalink)
    No. Doesn't work for me (like scook said).

I use sub folders within the song folder to keep everything tidy:

Main song folder- (cwp & mix waves)
     -Audio folder (project audio files)
     -Ideas folder (for when inspiration hits)
     -Tracks folder (for old multitrack waves, etc.)
     -TXT older (for lyrics and notes)
    Unknowen
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1276
    Re: Does anyone else have this problem - renaming project? 2017/08/19 00:15:38 (permalink)
    Kalle Rantaaho
    11Dreams

I don't think so (?). AFAIK deleting a track never deletes the audio from from the Audio-folder. Or do I misunderstand your message?

Yup, your right. lol It must have been human a error of some sort that drives my work flow.. :)

Peace! 

Hay look,
    Somethings are not locked in stone... lol 3/18/2019
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1