Does anyone know of any good tutorials for programming synths in Z3ta + 2 or Rapture Pro?

Author
mspielz
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 47
2016/03/10 22:18:03 (permalink)

Does anyone know of any good tutorials for programming synths in Z3ta + 2 or Rapture Pro?

I've got the basics down for both, but lately, I've been searching for tutorials on creating specific synth sounds, when I hear one I like, to kind of learn these soft synths a bit better. I often will find tutorials for specific songs, meant to be programmed in different soft synths. I can usually glean enough info from those to get a similar sound, but was wondering if anyone knows a good source for programming specific synths in Rapture Pro or Z3ta +2. I don't have any particular song in mind, and really, any song with a good sounding synth, where I can hear the sounds in action, then watch the tutorial, and then recreate it would be good for practice. 

6 Replies Related Threads

Paul P
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2685
    Re: Does anyone know of any good tutorials for programming synths in Z3ta + 2 or Rapture P 2016/03/10 22:38:55 (permalink)

Most videos on soft synths that I've seen just present the various sections and controls one by one, but don't go into how you might actually use them to create a particular sound.  One exception is Digital Sound Factory's Z3TA2 Sound Design video, but even that one won't show you how to design the sound that you want.  How could it ?

I've concluded that there is no alternative to figuring things out for yourself.  Play with the controls and see what they do.  Play with the presets and learn why then sound like they do.  Then do it long enough until you reach the point that you know what to do to get the sound that's in your head.  One of my plans for retirement is to take some Hans Zimmer music, single out specific sounds, then spend however many hours are necessary to get the closest sound  possible with the options at my disposal.  I'll most likely be dead long before I can produce anything original.

Patch Arena has a whole bunch of sounds you can explore for free.  fisound has some great low-cost Rapture sounds.  Muz3um is another free library of z3ta+2 patches.

post edited by Paul P - 2016/03/10 23:02:09

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
    2:43AM
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1147
    Re: Does anyone know of any good tutorials for programming synths in Z3ta + 2 or Rapture P 2016/03/16 08:10:45 (permalink)
    Ditto on the advice of doing things yourself.  You will get to know the synth better, and you'll make some interesting and creative "secondary" sounds in the process.  Hell, you may not even create the original sound but will have umpteen good ones that you inevitably appreciate more!
    gswitz
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5694
    Re: Does anyone know of any good tutorials for programming synths in Z3ta + 2 or Rapture P 2016/03/16 08:48:34 (permalink)
    Syntorial. Google it.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
    I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    mspielz
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 47
    Re: Does anyone know of any good tutorials for programming synths in Z3ta + 2 or Rapture P 2016/03/16 23:40:09 (permalink)
    gswitz
    Syntorial. Google it.

Yeah, I was on the fence about spending the $ for Syntorial. I had already downloaded and completed all the free lessons before I posted the question. I guess I was looking for tutorials by people who create specific synths, to help aid in my progress of being able to do it myself, but there just doesn't seem to be much for Z3ta +2 or Rapture Pro. A couple days after I posted, I talked myself into buying the full version of Syntorial. Now that I've started getting into the lessons past the demo version, I can already see that it's going to be a tremendous help. No buyer's remorse here. 
    gswitz
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5694
    Re: Does anyone know of any good tutorials for programming synths in Z3ta + 2 or Rapture P 2016/03/17 07:20:36 (permalink)
    Syntorial really is excellent. I've been through most of the lessons. I re-do them periodically. It's really great ear training. There is nothing I've found that has helped me more.

I did buy Syntorial btw. I've been through a ton although not every lesson. I recognize it's expensive compared to just reading. That said, it helps you learn in a very effective way. Considering the number of hours I've put into it, I consider the cost trivial.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
    I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    pwalpwal
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3249
    Re: Does anyone know of any good tutorials for programming synths in Z3ta + 2 or Rapture P 2016/03/17 07:51:47 (permalink)
    how to make a noise http://noisesculpture.com/how-to-make-a-noise-a-comprehensive-guide-to-synthesizer-programming/ there's a free ebook & patches, although it references z3ta+ v1 rather than 2... still good stuff

just a sec

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1