Does anyone submit to A&R reps anymore?

Author
Spaceduck
Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2499
2009/09/18 15:18:08 (permalink)

Does anyone submit to A&R reps anymore?

I know 10-20 years ago, the proper formula was to record a demo and submit it to A&R reps for different labels. Does this still hold true, and if so, where can I get a current list of reps who are accepting unsolicited submissions? (And have any of you submitted recently?)

It's really frustrating, I had the ultimate list of A&R reps who were willing to give a listen. This was about 8 years ago. The other day I tried one of the numbers and got the front desk operator who told me there was no such person. Someone in the background said... "oh, I remember her... wow that was ages ago, 4 or 5 years, she's long gone."

Got the same story from the other numbers I tried. Is the turnover rate that bad?

Spaceduck music [HERE]
Spaceduck videos [HERE]

22 Replies Related Threads

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    Re:Does anyone submit to A&R reps anymore? 2009/09/18 15:23:54 (permalink)
    Spaceduck

I know 10-20 years ago, the proper formula was to record a demo and submit it to A&R reps for different labels. Does this still hold true, and if so, where can I get a current list of reps who are accepting unsolicited submissions? (And have any of you submitted recently?)

It's really frustrating, I had the ultimate list of A&R reps who were willing to give a listen. This was about 8 years ago. The other day I tried one of the numbers and got the front desk operator who told me there was no such person. Someone in the background said... "oh, I remember her... wow that was ages ago, 4 or 5 years, she's long gone."

Got the same story from the other numbers I tried. Is the turnover rate that bad?

I think it's better if you start without them... get on the net and get heard by listeners.  If the A&R folks want to hear the stuff tell them to go the web page and get it like everyone else.   When you order CDs of your music some will help you get on iTunes, that seems to be the way to go. If you get some sales going maybe the A&R folks will take notice.  Soundclick and CDBaby are also good web sites to sell your music.
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    Re:Does anyone submit to A&R reps anymore? 2009/09/18 15:29:39 (permalink)
    Spaceduck

I would say the paradigm shifted. Its a whole new market out there, esp in the last 8 years.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:Does anyone submit to A&R reps anymore? 2009/09/18 16:14:19 (permalink)
    Sorry Mr.Duck,

The parties you are intending to post to are no longer here.

Thank you.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Does anyone submit to A&R reps anymore? 2009/09/18 19:21:40 (permalink)
    I have 3 sources.... well maybe 2 and a third as a last resort....

I submit material to Taxi...joined recently, with a few submissions...needless to say, the bar there is pretty high, especially the market I'm shooting for.....country music top 40 artists. My reviews from them have been pretty accurate and very encouraging.  According to one review of one song, it was "almost" across home plate, but they would be submitting against the best writers in Nashville for a major artist and the song needed  "more". In my book...that's freaking cool.  Gotta keep writing.......

Second place is Pumpaudio.... I have submitted there as well...again the bar is high. Several attempts with some good songs have been returned, but I just recently submitted some new material and this time got green-lighted to submit my music to them that they are interested in licensing. I'm in on this one.

Third... I used to use this avenue alot in the past...and might in the future. The Songwriters Market Guide. It takes alot of reading and writing to browse the A&R, publishers, and record companies that might be interested in your tunes...... you should always write first, before sending a package with music. The big problem here is many of the slime balls of the music industry are listed in that book along with the good ones and you don't know wo is who...and you'll end up on lots of shark lists.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    foxwolfen
    Re:Does anyone submit to A&R reps anymore? 2009/09/18 20:41:21 (permalink)
    There is still, of course:

ASCAP

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    Lanceindastudio
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4604
    Re:Does anyone submit to A&R reps anymore? 2009/09/19 06:59:02 (permalink)
    or BMI (me)

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
    i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
    Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
    Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
    Presonus Eureka
    Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
    Spaceduck
    Re:Does anyone submit to A&R reps anymore? 2009/09/19 10:05:38 (permalink)
    re: ASCAP & BMI... this is probably the dumbest question, but do they really promote your songs to record labels? I was under the impression that their function was to make sure you get royalties for radio airplay & such. I'll have to read up more.

Hack, thanks for those tips... I'm leaning toward Pumpaudio just because it's free. (Music promotion is one of those weird areas where "you get what you pay for" often works in reverse, I know from having been ripped off by a shark years ago.) PA greenlighted me last year so I just need to get off me bum & send in a cd.

Mr. The How: You're starting to sound like my posts in the Songs forum

ohhey & fox, yes indeedy I get the vibe that there's been a huge paradigm shift--if not a total industry upheaval--in the last few years. All this A&R stuff was designed before the internet. I guess they've become obsolete because nowadays the proof of a 'good' song is done by downloads, so why would do they even need to listen anymore? It's all a numbers game now. Bummer, so I actually gotta do some work

Spaceduck music [HERE]
    Spaceduck videos [HERE]
    foxwolfen
    Re:Does anyone submit to A&R reps anymore? 2009/09/19 10:25:52 (permalink)
    Directly promote no, help you access tools and information to help you promote yourself and or find others is more about what they can provide.

Honestly, I don't like them. These are the guys who told boy scouts they could not sing camp songs around the fire without licensing, or if your phone rings in a public place you should pay a fee for each person who heard the ring tone.

Like RIAA, they are insane, but they control 90% of the us market. They claim to support the artist, but really, they are just a like any modern trade union... out to support themselves, not the people they represent.

Composers Forum
    bdickens
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 847
    Re:Does anyone submit to A&R reps anymore? 2009/09/19 12:03:56 (permalink)
    The traditional record industry is a dinosaur.

Byron Dickens
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Does anyone submit to A&R reps anymore? 2009/09/19 16:38:03 (permalink)
    ASCAP  & BMI are not in the promotion business. They are in the business of collecting performance royalties for songs that are already recorded and making money.   They will give you some advice, because it's in their best interest to help you, but they are not publishers or A&R or record companies.

BMI/NSAI

Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Does anyone submit to A&R reps anymore? 2009/09/19 17:27:05 (permalink)
    FWIW, knowing I'm not really getting anywhere fast ...

Tentatively (hopefully), I myself will simply write hundreds of letters and/or demos and just plan gigs to target audiences ... on my schedule ...

... and just enjoy my stardum performances when I'm good and ready.  I've seen many stinky bands make mighty gigs and enjoy audiences.

This whole music competition thing, while popular, may hinder excellent singers from strutting their stuff in public. 

Think about it!  Most of your/my down-to-earth prized listeners don't even know what a mouse is, let alone how to surf the web.  This is true for Christian and Country genres I'm certain in Alabama at least.

I consider all of you song-vets to be much better than the radio pop and stinky-gigs that are out there.

I'm certain you (all) can plan and excecute your own gigs and become satisfied to the utmost.  You/I may not get rich, but we'll be fed.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    jimmyman
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2193
    Re:Does anyone submit to A&R reps anymore? 2009/09/20 06:51:55 (permalink)

I'm not really one to give advice because I'm not mr success
    myself. Almost always when a question is asked here on
    the forum it cannot be answered simply. there are just so many
    variables to consider.  Please don't get me wrong in what I'm
    about to say here because I'm referring to the  (common sense
    logistics of the subject).

People generally (think) they've done something by submitting
    something. Then to get a song published sometimes some people
    think "wows that's cool".  there are so many issues that can
    either "pump up" a person or do the opposite and get you down.

if we take the question of submitting to a & r or anyone for
    that matter it implies we want to "sell some stuff". there are
    tons of books/ information on so many areas connected to
    this subject.

I was a member of one of the songwriter groups in nashville.
    once a week we brought in songs and we all listened
    and commented. As I look back now it was all meaningless.
    I'm not one to slam commercial radio and call it all garbage.
    there are some great songs out there but there is way more
    "crap".

In short the whole industry has and is doing a poor job of
    getting large amounts of high quality music to the ears of
    the public but it gets worse. what does the public want?
    well its obvious we know what "jimmy" wants however:

(here is an example) the other day a girl calls in a request
    for a "prince" tune. ( I was listening to a pop station).
    after i got sick to my stomach and vomited I had to go grab
    a beer and try and get some relief.

O.K. so now back to the submitting subject. its like fishing.
    if i go throw out my hook in water where there are no fish
    then something tells me i need to do something.
    either there are no fish or they aren't interested in my worm.

I guess you can tell i'm saying promote yourself but that
    in itself requires a  few things too. in some shape form or
    fashion there has to be substance to promote. Even that
    in itself isn't enough though. what is the answer to all this?

Connect with the people.

Spaceduck
    Re:Does anyone submit to A&R reps anymore? 2009/09/20 09:06:05 (permalink)
    Great thoughts here, gang. I'm hearing the general idea is to self-promote, book gigs, network, sell online... essentially do the job that the record labels used to do for you back in the old days. I fully agree with the DIY approach (in business as well as in life).

The problem is what if it's physically not possible? I'm just not a people person. Even exchanging 5 words with the checkout cashier at the grocery store sucks the life out of me, so I've realized a long time ago I'm not the right person to go out there & sell sell sell. Without going into the psychosis of the whole thing, I think my years doing the hardcore music circuit really scrambled my brains.

Now my only talent lies in locking myself in a studio and writing/recording/playing my butt off. I think that may describe a lot of us. So are we doomed to eternal obscurity? That's where, in the old days of record labels, at least you had a chance of finding someone who, without charging you money, would invest in your music and act as a broker between you & the real world.

That's how music has always been, hasn't it? Beethoven, Mozart, etc never sold their manuscripts on the street; they always got commissioned by emperors, kings, dukes & other wealthy benefactors. Without these "record labels", they would probably just be another bunch of crooning street musicians who disappear into obscurity.

So my thought is, with the downfall of big record labels, creating sort of a musical anarchy out here, are a lot of good musicians going to get buried simply because they don't have good business sense? Not that I consider myself a good musician, but I surely don't have any business sense

Spaceduck music [HERE]
    Spaceduck videos [HERE]
    gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    Re:Does anyone submit to A&R reps anymore? 2009/09/20 11:21:39 (permalink)
    ..."are a lot of good musicians going to get buried simply because they don't have good business sense?"

If the largest measure of "success" is exposure and earnings, the answer is yes. If the definition is refinement of skills and/or improvement in quality of music and instrument play, then not so much.

Simplify the equation, think of your local bands. The most successful bands may not be the best group of musicians, but a band with at least one member who understands exposure, the business end. How to establish relations with bar/club owners, build sets based on local musical taste, proper appearance of the band to fit into higher quality venues, etc.

Music has always been a business, we are, or should be in it to make money. Insurance companies are not in business to insure people, they are in business to make money, they just use insurance as the vehicle. Same with any other business. Once you get past the "dirty" feeling of working within the system you can work the system to your advantage.

Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    bdickens
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 847
    Re:Does anyone submit to A&R reps anymore? 2009/09/20 11:53:31 (permalink)
    I think that if you beleive in your product, you should beleive in selling it. If it takes X, Y and Z to do that and it isn't illegal or immoral you should be willing to do  X, Y and Z.

Byron Dickens
    foxwolfen
    Re:Does anyone submit to A&R reps anymore? 2009/09/20 13:31:38 (permalink)
    Spaceduck

The problem is what if it's physically not possible? I'm just not a people person. Even exchanging 5 words with the checkout cashier at the grocery store sucks the life out of me, so I've realized a long time ago I'm not the right person to go out there & sell sell sell. Without going into the psychosis of the whole thing, I think my years doing the hardcore music circuit really scrambled my brains.

I can't do it alone. Nobody can IMO.

I am slowly recruiting a buddy of mine for the reasons you yourself are describing. He is a very dynamic and outgoing person, very confident. He is also somewhat physically imposing. Not huge, but a good size. University educated. He could make the perfect PR Guy/manager.

Like you, I recognize that I am but one person, with limited time and resources. With somebody to take care of the managerial aspect, I will have the time to do what I like best - the art. But I am viewing it in very much the traditional way. There are artists and there are businessmen. Like the members of a band, each person has a strength that the others need to succeed. We have the artists, we have the engineers, producers... now we need to look outward. This is where he or a person like him comes in.

He finds and negotiates the gigs, he talks to agents, execs, takes and hands out cards. He starts taking over the crew and equipment. And as that grows, we start to branch those off. Very much a traditional approach, but also knowing that the paradigm is shifting, but not fully shifted, we need to take a hybrid approach with our sights (to coin my own line recently) fixed clearly on the future goal.

As we slowly move forward with this hybrid/traditional business plan, we also do so with the knowledge that part of the reasons for the paradigm shift are the problems with the current industry (particularly artists and consumers rights).

I think there will always be a need for the traditional model. It is what takes it to the next level. It just will have a whole lot more competition and is that not what capitalism is about? (calling a spade a spade).

Composers Forum
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Does anyone submit to A&R reps anymore? 2009/09/20 13:54:05 (permalink)
    Sorry to hijack this.  We all might love to compete to sharpen and perform well.  Each of us may run the race to win the prize.  But, I don't want the prize of being #1 on soundstage ... just in the top 100 now and then. 

Methinks, there is always some money in performing publicly, enough to get fed if I'm faithful to my job.

Yeh!  A lot of us are sensitive about the public, myself foremost. 

But I know we have the talent to play publicly to our target audiences ... if/when that necessity comes about ... there are thousands of ways to do it.

Of course, I wish our music to be commercial (top) quality, regardless ... but with your/my vibes, quirks, and uniquenesses as human artists.

Methinks, playing Kareoke and/or playing with one other dependable person is nothing to be ashamed about.  The wifey can always help with some stuff.

It is good for a man not to be alone.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    SongCraft
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3902
    Re:Does anyone submit to A&R reps anymore? 2009/09/20 17:47:54 (permalink)
    Does anyone submit to A&R anymore?

I rather they submit to ME!!! :-P

Actually another way is to get a good manager, publicist or  producer who is well known and highly respected in the music biz to refer your works to A&R. (Managers usually make a quick call, and then you follow up on it from thereon) that's the best way for anyone interested in seeking out a publishing deal, for a record deal? best to build up the 'vibe' first... have a good fan base, good articles, reviews, perform regularly, video clip, aired on TV, radio exposure also. The whole process is no easy walk in the park. *Bottom line is... if you want a major record deal you have to get the ball rolling and then hit A&R whilst the iron is HOT!!!

krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    Re:Does anyone submit to A&R reps anymore? 2009/09/21 14:36:13 (permalink)
    I try to keep tabs on what my clients do with their music after they leave here. I can't remember the last time someone said they submitted anything to an actual bono fide A&R rep. A fair number of my clients utilize Taxi but I've never heard of a single success story from that either.

Some of my clients have had success in dealing with TV/Film producers/directors. One of the bands that recorded here had like 5 or 6 of their songs included in a modest budget independent film. A couple of minor TV spots. Things like that.

Oh - I gotta tell ya a story. One of my clients just landed a gig with the band Survivor. He is an electrician by day and songwriter/musician by night. Went over to Frankie Sullivans house to quote a home improvement job. Didn't even realize at first who he was dealing with. When he finally found out who he was dealing with, he introduced himself and to make a long story short, got hired to play keyboards on their upcoming album and world tour. Talk about being in the right place at the right time huh! This guy is a really good musician. Good enough to be in that band! So ya never know.

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:Does anyone submit to A&R reps anymore? 2009/09/21 15:03:04 (permalink)
    Spaceduck

Great thoughts here, gang. I'm hearing the general idea is to self-promote, book gigs, network, sell online... essentially do the job that the record labels used to do for you back in the old days. I fully agree with the DIY approach (in business as well as in life).

Now my only talent lies in locking myself in a studio and writing/recording/playing my butt off. I think that may describe a lot of us. So are we doomed to eternal obscurity? That's where, in the old days of record labels, at least you had a chance of finding someone who, without charging you money, would invest in your music and act as a broker between you & the real world.

That's how music has always been, hasn't it? Beethoven, Mozart, etc never sold their manuscripts on the street; they always got commissioned by emperors, kings, dukes & other wealthy benefactors. Without these "record labels", they would probably just be another bunch of crooning street musicians who disappear into obscurity.

So my thought is, with the downfall of big record labels, creating sort of a musical anarchy out here, are a lot of good musicians going to get buried simply because they don't have good business sense? Not that I consider myself a good musician, but I surely don't have any business sense
    but did they REALLY do it that way?   Even in the 70's and 80's people in the music biz were on the make.
    I did a lot of fruitless knocking on record company doors in the late 70's early 80's.  I've got nothing left but cynicism and sore knuckles.  Not that my music should have made it but that the impression I got was that it was all a front for getting the cutest most naive women into bed (then they turned down my resume too!!).   OR you had a kick ass band that had a local following and was selling a lot of booze at good club so it caught attention...(cynical or what???)
    For the songwriter it's always been difficult....*violins please*......There are so many scams (as we all know) out there in the guise of songwriting contests and promotional vehicles that play on our believing in our own music.   

I suspect it has to do with another kind of timing and placing...and perhaps it has to do with a super human effort (one pointed super focused hard hard work networking and getting the word out) , which I am not able (willing) to do. 
    I think the future is bleak (so is the past IMO) for nerdy artist types (all of us).  I (we) simply am incapable of promoting myself.   It's a gene that's missing.   Not people person either...i don't even go IN the store, send in the dog with a list and a check on his collar.

On the other hand, I do think we're on the verge of another approach to this whole thing......I think it has to do with custom playlists and internet 'radio' stations and maybe cakewalk songmonster conferences where regions gather and create a kind of buzz (that's what it's REALLY all about).  People will show up just to check out the buzz and the girls and all in the midst of OUR MUSIC!

post edited by No How - 2009/09/21 16:06:59

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Does anyone submit to A&R reps anymore? 2009/09/21 16:29:21 (permalink)
    I think it is still possible for someone (unknown ) to still break into the business of music. It is very difficult to do so. And, yes...there are a lot of pitfalls and traps and scammers out there ready to take the money and dreams of the gullible.

For us  unknown songwriter/artists.... we have to search, avoid the scammers, and really beat the bushes and knock on doors and don't take no for an answer...just to start with. Then on top of that we have to hone our craft, whatever that is...singer, artist, songwriter... and become better than the best out there. The competition is tough, and the songwriters are the best in the business, and there is a lot of money and fame riding on the line. Just being good is not enough...there are lots of good singers and good songwriters in every town in America. And if you go to a music center like Nashville, LA, or NY, the competition is even rougher... because the good ones there are the fantastic ones back home.... and you gotta be better than that to get a deal.  Some people bet the farm and win.... Alan Jackson, Garth Brooks, songwriter Jason Blume, and others..... but for every one of those guys and gals that make it, there's hundreds going back home with thier tails tucked, or playing on the street corner for spare change, or washing dishes and driving tour busses in the music cities....

By all means, chase that dream, because sometimes there is a Cinderella ending to the story, and with hard work, dedication, persistance, and a bit of luck, it could be your story.

BMI/NSAI

Guitarhacker
    Re:Does anyone submit to A&R reps anymore? 2009/09/21 16:37:06 (permalink)
    Spaceduck.... I just re-read your OP... If your list is more than 1 yr old...it's outta date.... maybe even sooner. This is a dog eat dog business... in the high stakes world these people live in..... one wrong venture and they're pounding the sidewalk. People change jobs all the time, move from one company to the next, looking for the next step on the ladder to the corner office on the top floor....

I had a publisher sign a bunch of my earlier songs many years ago..... the contracts were legit, but then after he started angeling to get me to spend a huge amount of money to come to N-ville and record MY CD and he would promote me as an artist.....did he think I was stupid? ...or rich? so basically my songs were tied up and worthless for the terms...... when the song contracts expired and the songs reverted back to me I contacted his office about the reversion....to be sure it was done properly.... he had died....but I did get the songs back.   Another pub who signed my tunes was planning to record one of them...the band broke up the week before the sessions were to happen.... This kinda stuff goes on ALL the time.

Companies come and go all the time in this business...especially the smaller ones. You really have to stay busy and keep on top of it (your list) to keep it current and clean from sharks.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2009/09/21 16:39:56

BMI/NSAI

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1