Does coming to these forums too often kill creativity

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
dappa1
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2949
2011/02/03 15:03:17 (permalink)

Does coming to these forums too often kill creativity

Do Major recording artist come to talk their lives away on chatroom forums or do they have more focus?
(is this x1 related) does it help?

50 Replies Related Threads

Bub
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7196
    Re:Does coming to these forums too often kill creativity 2011/02/03 15:36:00 (permalink)
    I think people come here looking for ways to get their creativity back that was taken from them by something. (is this X1 related)?

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re:Does coming to these forums too often kill creativity 2011/02/03 15:37:06 (permalink)
    I come here to find mine, still looking...........
    digi2ns
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2694
    Re:Does coming to these forums too often kill creativity 2011/02/03 15:41:51 (permalink)
    It is all what ya make it. When searching for info to help you, go to that type of thread. Help someone else if you see a thread you can contribute to. Is also a great way to interact when needed with moderators directly from CW because they have chosen to bless us with their presence which is a huge bonus. So it is what you make it.

MIKE

--Dell Studio XPS I7/870 2.93 Ghz, 8GB Mem, 2-2TB Barracuda HDs, 500 GB Ext.HDD, Win7/64
    --X1 64 Pro Expanded, Dual 21" Monitors 
    --PCR500  
    --MAUDIO FastTrack Ultra
    --Mackie 1604 VLZ PRO
    --Line6 X3 Live
    --Gibson, Fender, Takamine, Schecter, Washburn
    http://pogopoppa.wix.com/5thgear#
     http://soundcloud.com/digi2ns  

Kroneborge
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1300
    Re:Does coming to these forums too often kill creativity 2011/02/03 15:41:59 (permalink)
    Sometimes it can be good to take a break from what you are doing, and let the ideas percolate a bit.

Mathew

Hip Hop
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=213418

BreakBeats
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=219099

i7 12 gb ram, Komplete 5, Izotope Ozone & Stutter, Symphonic Orchestra Plat.

Katie_Katie
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 557
    Re:Does coming to these forums too often kill creativity 2011/02/03 15:58:40 (permalink)
    I don't think visiting this forum kills creativity. For me something else is the cause for killing (suspending actually) my creativity.  It is just so easy while sitting at the DAW to click to this site when I have a creativity lull....uh....like now.  

I could do something else, like clean the kitchen, buy shoes or watch TV, but a wine glass in the left hand and a mouse in the other does, at times, regenerate my creativity.  And, sometimes, I learn something new.  All good.

Katherine  

mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:Does coming to these forums too often kill creativity 2011/02/03 16:24:49 (permalink)
    creativity for most of us is down to the muse, and we have to accept she's a capricious and downright fickle mistress, so when she comes, that's when we roll! otherwise we hang out too long here, i guess...

those who actually do this thing professionally post much less, even CJ has gone almost silent since he started the mastering thing.

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Bub
    Re:Does coming to these forums too often kill creativity 2011/02/03 16:47:54 (permalink)
    mgh

... even CJ has gone almost silent since he started the mastering thing.
    Is it that or the 'Where's CJ' thread? ;)

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
    g_randybrown
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3522
    Re:Does coming to these forums too often kill creativity 2011/02/03 17:02:07 (permalink)
    When I was in my late teens I used to watch soap operas with friends(even though I didn't like them that much and I knew it was a waist of time). 
    Unless I am looking for a specific answer here I kind of feel the same way about this site...it's addictive but I find myself sometimes asking why the hell am I reading this crap ???!!!
    That said, some people here are very clever and I learn from them more than I ever could from the manual... some even make me laugh...a lot!

G. Randy Brown 
    Windows 10, 64 bit, Platinum
    Intel Core i7-3770S
    Asus P8Z77-V LK mobo   
    4X8GB Corsair XMS3 memory 
    500 GB Crucial BX100 SSD (OS)
    two WD Black 1 TB HDD
    SAPPHIRE DUAL-X 100314-4L Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 
    Presonus AudioBox 22VSL
    youtube.com/crystalclearnm
    SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    Re:Does coming to these forums too often kill creativity 2011/02/03 17:04:06 (permalink)
    Bub

mgh

... even CJ has gone almost silent since he started the mastering thing.
    Is it that or the 'Where's CJ' thread? ;)

Bub, that's harsh, but fair

But do you have to keep bumping it - you realise he'll never reply

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Bub
    Re:Does coming to these forums too often kill creativity 2011/02/03 17:21:33 (permalink)
    Ok, here's exactly why I come here ...

I was pickin' away on my strat. Came up with a clever little riff that was catchy. Loaded up X1, inserted SSD3 and a wav track with GRP4 on it. Picked a nice drum kit.

I wanted to create a quick drum track, opened up step sequencer, made a quick pattern, and closed the step sequencer. Went to play it back and no sound. Freakin' Session Drummer's outputs are dead. Had to close the project and reopen it.

This is why I come here, to vent my frustrations.

Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    Re:Does coming to these forums too often kill creativity 2011/02/03 17:22:27 (permalink)
    CJ was headed for Abbey Roads studio the last I heard. This to provide some mixing for a group he is working with.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    benstat
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 972
    Re:Does coming to these forums too often kill creativity 2011/02/03 17:23:27 (permalink)
    I waste far too much time here. But I kind of enjoy it, and I often find a break helps my creativity.

My DAW: Intel i5, Cakewalk UA-1G, Win7 64 bit, SONAR X1a Producer 64 bit
    Thugonyx@aol.com
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 129
    Re:Does coming to these forums too often kill creativity 2011/02/03 18:37:29 (permalink)
     Sonar is simply a tool for helping someone express their creativity. What brings me into the forum is when there's an issue with something I've been doing for years and I suddenly come upon technical difficulties...or when the DAW's is dysfunctional  and  interfering with normal work-flow. The idea is basically..."Is anyone else having this problem and any ideas to help me fix it?" Other than that I'm outa here. X1 brought me back BIG TIME though. I think the most disappointing thing about the forum are the fan-boys who attack you for complaining about the dis functionality  of a DAW that you paid for when they don't even use it to its fullest extent, and your used to squeezing every single inch out of it and trying to encourage others to use it as well. I mean I like to use  V-Vocals, effects galore, vst's for days, internal and external drums and sound modules...you know..using Sonar it to its fullest capacity to get extraordinary results.  There nothing I like more than bragging to my Pro Tools friends in the major music league  that all the tracks that they are jumping up and down to were all done in Sonar. There have been some major albums all recorded in Sonar..Teddy Riley told me he  produced Michael Jackson's 'Dangerous' album in Sonar...that's why I found X1 to be a  embarrassingly under developed  and I seriously hope X1b lives up to all the progress and evolution since cakewalk 4 up to  8.5.3.  Just my 2 cents. Use the forum though...p.s. Sonar X1 helper? Genius!

post edited by Thugonyx@aol.com - 2011/02/03 22:02:34
    Middleman
    Re:Does coming to these forums too often kill creativity 2011/02/03 19:01:41 (permalink)
    The most disappointing thing for me is the Girly-Boys who complain too much prior to seeking a solution. Seriously.

Notes on Dangerous:

According to the sleeve notes on the later remastered edition of the album, recording sessions began in Los Angeles, California at Ocean Way/Record One Studio 2 on June 25, 1990.

Sonar was not in existence at that time.
    post edited by Middleman - 2011/02/03 19:03:21

Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:Does coming to these forums too often kill creativity 2011/02/03 19:28:35 (permalink)
    Define too often.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    digi2ns
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2694
    Re:Does coming to these forums too often kill creativity 2011/02/03 21:26:35 (permalink)
    As for killing creativity I believe everyone is different. I like the mechanical theory side of this. When ya get stuck, a break sometimes is all it takes then when ya get back to it, things just tend to fall back into place with ease and everything starts flowing smoothly again. On the other hand, there are alot of things that will come up in here sparking new thoughts and ideas.  Stay open minded, take breaks but dont forget to restart.

MIKE

--Dell Studio XPS I7/870 2.93 Ghz, 8GB Mem, 2-2TB Barracuda HDs, 500 GB Ext.HDD, Win7/64
    --X1 64 Pro Expanded, Dual 21" Monitors 
    --PCR500  
    --MAUDIO FastTrack Ultra
    --Mackie 1604 VLZ PRO
    --Line6 X3 Live
    --Gibson, Fender, Takamine, Schecter, Washburn
    http://pogopoppa.wix.com/5thgear#
     http://soundcloud.com/digi2ns  

Thugonyx@aol.com
    Re:Does coming to these forums too often kill creativity 2011/02/03 22:24:55 (permalink)
    Middleman

The most disappointing thing for me is the Girly-Boys who complain too much prior to seeking a solution. Seriously.

Notes on Dangerous:

According to the sleeve notes on the later remastered edition of the album, recording sessions began in Los Angeles, California at Ocean Way/Record One Studio 2 on June 25, 1990.

Hey Grabmiller...I meant to say Teddy used "Cakewalk"....and dude..we do not use the term "Girly Boy" in Harlem....but I actually learned the term " ' Fanboy in this forum which supposedly is a dude who  settles for anything you throw at them like Backpacker: The Lost Florence Gold Mine....OOOOH!!!!!
    post edited by Thugonyx@aol.com - 2011/02/03 22:55:35
    Thugonyx@aol.com
    Re:Does coming to these forums too often kill creativity 2011/02/03 22:37:27 (permalink)
    digi2ns

As for killing creativity I believe everyone is different. I like the mechanical theory side of this. When ya get stuck, a break sometimes is all it takes then when ya get back to it, things just tend to fall back into place with ease and everything starts flowing smoothly again. On the other hand, there are alot of things that will come up in here sparking new thoughts and ideas.  Stay open minded, take breaks but dont forget to restart.

Yea but it's kinda hard to even focus on creativity when your wrestling with software...seriously.
    Middleman
    Re:Does coming to these forums too often kill creativity 2011/02/03 22:48:01 (permalink)
    Thugonyx@aol.com

Middleman

Notes on Dangerous:

Hey Grabmiller...I meant to say Teddy used "Cakewalk"....and dude..we do not use the term "Girly Boy" in Harlem....but a Fanboy in this forum settles for anything you throw at them.....ps...any hits lately? OOOOoooooo!!!!!

No problem, Feilds. Yeah, no hits here, how about yourself? In fact how about anybody in the current state of the music business which supports about 12 guys and maybe a secretary at EMI. (I see you just edited your post so let me add.... I am proud of the work I did on Backpacker, the sound track for which was done in an early version of Cakewalk. As it sold a few thousand copies it allowed me to be eligible as a voting Grammy member.

post edited by Middleman - 2011/02/03 23:09:04

chuckebaby
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re:Does coming to these forums too often kill creativity 2011/02/03 22:59:43 (permalink)
    I was waiting for someone to catch me $crewing off..im outa here..but first i will say this..its good to take a break and learn from the pro's..there are those who take offence to someone voicing their opnions toward sonar,but lets not confuse voicing an opinion with complaining and moaning.some feel they were ripped off by this software cause there constantly wrestling with it...but to make your life long point of coming on here knocking down any notion its a decent daw is absolutley foolish.ive heard people make it sound like sonar is the reason they cant get a girlfriend...lol..its a software..thats all.i  love to problem solve just as much as the next guy and when i need help there are people to help..but to get back to the op's question?..i like reading the dirt just as much..i see the title of a post.."whats your opinion on sonar"..thats the first one i read,cause i know theres going to be a war of sorts..now is this wrong?..yea...kinda..but it is interesting.its like reading that magazine you see when you check out at the grocery store with all the dirt on the cover..im sorry but im guilty,i like reading that as much as i like helping someone or looking to solve my own junk...just ones view.
    Middleman
    Re:Does coming to these forums too often kill creativity 2011/02/03 23:06:49 (permalink)
    Darn forum software.

Thugonyx@aol.com
    Re:Does coming to these forums too often kill creativity 2011/02/03 23:23:52 (permalink)
    I wanna hear ya track on Backpacker. Post it or something. I ain't gonna lie ..I love me some video scores scores. Tomb Raiders is rediculous. Post it Grabmiller.
    trimph1
    Max Output Level: -12 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6348
    Re:Does coming to these forums too often kill creativity 2011/02/03 23:26:11 (permalink)
    Sometimes i think it is a good thing to come here and vent. Or to find some kind of inspiration. Or to have fun. Or...

I think it is pretty dependent on the person and their workflow....but if the workflow is interrupted by a software/hardware glitch? GROWL!!!!

The space you have will always be exceeded in direct proportion to the amount of stuff you have...Thornton's Postulate.

Bushpianos
    Middleman
    Re:Does coming to these forums too often kill creativity 2011/02/03 23:31:55 (permalink)
    Thugonyx@aol.com

I wanna hear ya track on Backpacker. Post it or something. I ain't gonna lie ..I love me some video scores scores. Tomb Raiders is rediculous. Post it Grabmiller.
    Can't do that or I would violate an agreement with the other partners who are equal owners. However, I can sell you a copy and you can listen to them. $35 a copy.

Thugonyx@aol.com
    Re:Does coming to these forums too often kill creativity 2011/02/03 23:38:27 (permalink)
    Middleman

Thugonyx@aol.com

Can't do that or I would violate an agreement with the other partners who are equal owners. However, I can sell you a copy and you can listen to them. $35 a copy.

Neva mind Dude...I'll go get a bootleg copy on 125th street. I'll let you know if I like it@
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re:Does coming to these forums too often kill creativity 2011/02/03 23:38:33 (permalink)
    ' Fanboy in this forum which supposedly is a dude who  settles for anything you throw at them

Actually in this forum it's used to describe someone the software works for and who dares to say so. 
    Middleman
    Re:Does coming to these forums too often kill creativity 2011/02/03 23:43:42 (permalink)
    FastBikerBoy

' Fanboy in this forum which supposedly is a dude who  settles for anything you throw at them

Actually in this forum it's used to describe someone the software works for and who dares to say so. 

Yo.

Thugonyx@aol.com
    Re:Does coming to these forums too often kill creativity 2011/02/03 23:55:19 (permalink)
    Hmm.. so it's like ya'll are going to have to find a decent name for us Sonar Perfectionists other than whiners. We're the guys who expect everything aspect of the software  to work..and work well so we can create without bugs and glitches. Like I said..its about what extent you use the software. I go hard on vst's...fx. I keep wondering...if it runs smooth in 8.5.3...why not X1...under the hood is the same thing. What is the problem?
    Middleman
    Re:Does coming to these forums too often kill creativity 2011/02/04 00:03:38 (permalink)
    Well, to get less indignant for a moment. I think it's just the way different people work in the software. The electronica, hip-hop, looper, maybe sound designer people do a lot of editing and manipulation of tracks.  That puts a whole different level of intensity on the editing tools.

Others are fairly straight up audio types with a little bit of midi. Much less intense use of the tools. Possibly more layering for live takes. Different approach to using the product.

These are just two examples but the way people are using the product may be why there is such a range of different experiences (outside all the older systems, controller compatibility and sound drivers).

Ok, back to my normal acerbic self.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1