Does mono compatibility still matter?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
jamescollins
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 747
2011/01/30 19:30:40 (permalink)

I always check my mixes for mono compatibility, simply because we're told it's good practice to do so. But I was struggling to think of real life situations in 2011 where listeners would be listening in mono. Is this just a remnant of past times, or is mono compatibility still a real issue?

I'll have three fingers of Glenlivet, with a little bit of pepper... and some cheese.

allthekingsmen.band
jamescollinsmusic.com

31 Replies Related Threads

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Does mono compatibility still matter? 2011/01/30 20:11:33 (permalink)

Absolutely! Some might say "nah, who listens to mono anymore?". When you listen to music on TV, the output may be stereo but unless you're sitting in the sweet spot you're hearing mono - or something in between mono and stereo. Just step outside your studio while your project is playing and you're hearing essentially mono. Any time you're listening to a stereo source and you're either not in the center, or you're more than twice the distance from the speakers as they are apart, you're hearing essentially mono. We are listening to mono more often than we think. That mix that sounded great in the studio and now sounds thin and wimpy in the car? Check your mono compatibility.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Does mono compatibility still matter? 2011/01/30 20:20:35 (permalink)
    I still think that it is worth a check and I have a small single Auratone type speaker to do it on. There are some situations which for whatever reason the Left and Right outputs of a CD player etc might be summed to go into a single channel somewhere. If its your mix and you have done a very wide stereo image affect inside that mix,  it might nearly disappear in mono.

I was once working with a Korg Wavestation patch that was very wide but I did not know it until I checked it in mono. I was able to bring it in a lot and still have a great stereo image but now when put into mono it stayed well behind and was still audible.

I have done doco soundtracks and AM radio jingles and I used to check mono for those music cues mixes to make sure any wide sounds were still in the mix on a mono setup. A cafe might have one speaker missing or sum the outputs to squeeze the signal into a single mono channel of its terrible PA system.

For mixing I like it in general because its like all your instruments are lined up one behind the other in a row with no panning, so it forces you to listen to individual parts within an overall mix. And down low in volume too, there is nothing like it. You might have 3 similar sounding electric guitar parts and you want to hear them all doing their thing individually, you might find they are OK in stereo due to placements, but confusing and blurred in mono.

What do you do now? You edit the parts and start clearing the way for the 3 guitars to coexist better so when one is sounding the others are either not playing or low. You might use automation to weave the three guitar parts now. So after doing some creative editing and automation, in mono the 3 guitar parts are now very clear and easy to hear them all doing their own thing. Put this back into stereo and you will be very impressed with what you hear as well. The panning will accentuate the inter winding parts now.

It can alert if you if you have got a giant expansive pad sound and in mono you can't hear it hardly at all. It means that 180 degree phase shifting techniques are being used to create wideness. (Korg Wavestation patch) If the attacks are slow you might reset the phase angles in the synth patch and use long delays insted. They will be huge in stereo and still there in mono as well.

Mono will keep an eye on your reverb returns too. Mono is also good for checking parts that are panned very wide, are they still sitting nicely in the mix eg can you still hear them. If you want a mix to kick it needs to kick in mono as well as stereo. Any whimpy mono means important energy is being cancelled out somewhere. Track it down and bring it into line eg keep it powerful in mono. Many effects that do manipulate phase can be told to leave the lower part of the spectrum alone.

I prefer mono to come from a single point source speaker rather than the summed signal being fed to both monitors. (You are still getting a form of stereo even with two speakers in mono, just due to their lack of perfect symmetry on both sides of the room etc and the path to your ears)
    post edited by Jeff Evans - 2011/01/30 20:29:10

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    codamedia
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1185
    Re:Does mono compatibility still matter? 2011/01/30 20:22:57 (permalink)
    Whether someone will listen to the song in mono is not the importance of mono compatibility. When you listen in mono you will also notice phase cancellations, and full balance of the entire project.

Balance can be subjective. After getting a mix in stereo, I'll collapse it to mono. Here things might sound too loud, or too quiet. If I do the slight adjustments then go back to stereo - it always sounds better than it did earlier. It seems to make you listen to what is important and gives you a different perspective.

Phase issues are not subjective (imo). If you have problems here - they need to be fixed. You won't usually here these in a stereo mix, only in a mono mix. Fixing these problems will always make your stereo mix sound better, without changing a single level.

Do you really think nobody listens to a song in Mono? I agree that would not be the case in there personal listening situations (home stereo, car, ipod, etc...) but don't forget the other places the music might be heard. Office buildings, retail stores, breaks at a live concert (most P.A's are still wired in Mono these days), etc... etc...

I think mono compatibility is still very important, but of course, that is only my opinion :)

EDIT: In the 10 minutes I took to write this, two others offered there thoughts! I apologize if I have duplicated any suggestions!
    post edited by codamedia - 2011/01/30 20:24:44

Don't fix it in the mix ... Fix it in the take! 

Desktop: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit , ASUS MB w/Intel Chipset, INTEL Q9300 Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, ATI 5450 Video
    Laptop: Windows 7 Pro, i5, 8 Gig Ram
    Hardware: Presonus FP10 (Firepod), FaderPort, M-Audio Axiom 49, Mackie 1202 VLZ, POD X3 Live, Variax 600, etc... etc...
    Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    Re:Does mono compatibility still matter? 2011/01/30 20:32:59 (permalink)
    I agree with the tribe. There are so many positive reasons to check in mono just because when you make it big, your music will be on the overhead mono system at Barnes & Noble. You want to make sure it sounds good there and other places they play on those cheap ceiling speakers.

Checking on mono and adjusting has a net positive effect to the stereo mix from an EQ perspective and helps you set panning as well so that the image is balanced.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    . 2011/01/30 20:47:03 (permalink)
    post edited by Caa2 - 2017/04/08 19:13:50

jamescollins
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 747
    Re:Does mono compatibility still matter? 2011/01/30 21:15:58 (permalink)
    Thank you all, very helpful as always! Bit, I had never thought of it that way, that unless we're in the sweet spot, we're more often than not hearing essentially mono anyway.

And yes, Jeff, I too love spending some quality time mixing in mono for precisely the reasons you pointed out.

I'm off now to check mono compatibility on a mix I'm doing...

I'll have three fingers of Glenlivet, with a little bit of pepper... and some cheese.

allthekingsmen.band
    jamescollinsmusic.com
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Does mono compatibility still matter? 2011/01/31 03:56:51 (permalink)
    I've read about many an engineer who will start to build a mix by initially panning everything to the centre and get the enitre mix working in mono before any panning is done.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    The Maillard Reaction
    . 2011/01/31 07:04:12 (permalink)

post edited by Caa2 - 2017/04/08 19:14:07

codamedia
    Re:Does mono compatibility still matter? 2011/01/31 07:55:15 (permalink)
    Bristol_Jonesey

I've read about many an engineer who will start to build a mix by initially panning everything to the centre and get the enitre mix working in mono before any panning is done.

I've heard about that same approach myself. It makes sense, I'll have to give it a try on a future project.

Desktop: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit , ASUS MB w/Intel Chipset, INTEL Q9300 Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, ATI 5450 Video
    Hardware: Presonus FP10 (Firepod), FaderPort, M-Audio Axiom 49, Mackie 1202 VLZ, POD X3 Live, Variax 600, etc... etc...
    codamedia
    Re:Does mono compatibility still matter? 2011/01/31 07:59:41 (permalink)
    mike_mccue

We recorded with 3 mics and monitored in both stereo and mono but made sure the mics were placed for minimal phase issues by observing a phase meter during the process.

Slightly off topic, but can I ask what you are using for a phase meter? I've always been a "use my ears" type of guy for things like this, but I know (by some of your threads) you tend to approach things more technically. I'm not 100% convinced in that approach, but I am interested in trying a few things. Sometimes old dogs can learn new tricks - LOL!

tarsier
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3029
    Re:Does mono compatibility still matter? 2011/01/31 10:53:42 (permalink)
    Absolutely! Some might say "nah, who listens to mono anymore?". When you listen to music on TV, the output may be stereo but unless you're sitting in the sweet spot you're hearing mono - or something in between mono and stereo. Just step outside your studio while your project is playing and you're hearing essentially mono. Any time you're listening to a stereo source and you're either not in the center, or you're more than twice the distance from the speakers as they are apart, you're hearing essentially mono. We are listening to mono more often than we think. That mix that sounded great in the studio and now sounds thin and wimpy in the car? Check your mono compatibility.

That's not why you check for mono compatibility.  Mono compatibility was 'checked' because stereo was electrically (or digitally) summed to create the mono signal, and that is far, far different that the acoustical 'summing' of the stereo playback when listening outside the sweetspot.  Electrical summing to mono is very rare these days.

Do a simple test. Have a stereo signal where the left channel is completely out of phase with the right channel. Mix it to mono and it will cancel out to silence--the ultimate mono incompatibility.  Play it back in stereo but but listen outside the sweet spot, in the next room or in the car.  You can still hear the signal quite well, right? Do it again with the left and right in phase. What's the difference when you listen outside the room.

Bit, I know you're reading Toole's book, it's all explained there.

Don't take my word for it, have a look here: JJ's vote for the 10 worst mistakes in audio engineering. It's a powerpoint presentation, so I'll just paste the relevant bit: #5 [snip] Worrying about "mono compatibility" any time after 1990.

I'll go so far as to say that the things in the sound that make stereo very nice to listen to are the things that are inherently 'mono incompatible'--which is to say large interaural phase differences.  So if you're worrying about mono compatibility you're compromising your stereo mix.  And they are not problems when you are not electrically or digitally summing to mono. Acoustic mixing/summing in the room or the car of those left and right channels is just fine. As is simply listening to either the left or right channel on its own.
    The Maillard Reaction
    . 2011/01/31 11:17:54 (permalink)
    post edited by Caa2 - 2017/04/08 19:14:40

EyjolfurG
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 103
    Re:Does mono compatibility still matter? 2011/01/31 18:45:06 (permalink)
    Thanks Jeff.
    Very interesting.

Eyjolfur G.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Does mono compatibility still matter? 2011/01/31 20:18:33 (permalink)
    Mono compatibility was 'checked' because stereo was electrically (or digitally) summed to create the mono signal, and that is far, far different that the acoustical 'summing' of the stereo playback when listening outside the sweetspot.

Interesting. I haven't tried your test yet, but I certainly will!

I just cannot wrap my head around how acoustical summing is fundamentally different from electrical summing, though.

Obviously, they aren't exactly the same, since there will be natural phase shifts due to the different distances from the speakers such that even if L and R start out 180 degress out, the phase differences off-center will not be. There will also be delayed versions from reflections blending in. Still, I would expect such a condition to produce a nasty-sounding sum. If it doesn't, I'll have you to blame for sending me off into yet another rabbit-hole of investigation!

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Does mono compatibility still matter? 2011/01/31 22:02:26 (permalink)
    Acoustical summing is quite different to any electrical sum. A sound that is very stereo and has quite a phase difference for example will electrically sum to nearly zero but you will still hear it clearly outside the room if it is left in stereo inside the room. What is better is when both those conditions can be satisfied.

It is somewhat correct that if you want to create a very wide effect and use phase differences as part of the process then one may have to make a decision as to whether to not worry about mono compatibilty. But I believe that great stereo mixes can still have great mono compability when summed. And even if phase shifting of L and R channels is involved (on just one or a few tracks) then it can be limited to say 90 degrees instead of 180 degrees perhaps.  Many sources in a stereo mix are point source mono sounds anyway.

And for those who like making stereo recordings the old coincident miking with the two diaphragms right over the top of each other will always give a great stereo image and sums perfectly in mono. (directional information only being used to create the stereo)

MS is also good because one of the microphones is in fact pointing directly at the source. Blumlein also is cool because the mikes are together.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Rbh
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2349
    Re:Does mono compatibility still matter? 2011/01/31 23:25:32 (permalink)
    I think the best argument ( PRO MONO CHECKS )is that you will get a better sense of amplitude and frequency balance. I agree 100 % about doing all basic mix layout in  mono then applying panning and ambiance/reverb  as one of the last steps in the routine.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
    CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
     Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
    Kev999
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3922
    Re:Does mono compatibility still matter? 2011/01/31 23:53:42 (permalink)
    I've just been reading about Phil Spector.  Apparently he worked in mono all the time and was not interested in stereo at all.  His stereo mixes were always done at a late stage, often by somebody else.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
    Having fun at work lately
    tarsier
    Re:Does mono compatibility still matter? 2011/02/01 10:57:58 (permalink)
    It is somewhat correct that if you want to create a very wide effect and use phase differences as part of the process then one may have to make a decision as to whether to not worry about mono compatibilty.
    When I say "large interaural phase differences" are why we like stereo, I include in that statement a mono, single mic vocal panned to the left (and not necessarily hard left) and a mono, single mic guitar panned to the right (not necessarily hard right), for example. At any given frequency, there will probably be a large phase difference at that frequency between the left and right channels. But no phase 'shifting was involved in this theoretical mix.  Just to be clear.
    But I believe that great stereo mixes can still have great mono compability when summed.
    Of course they can. I never said otherwise.

And even if phase shifting of L and R channels is involved (on just one or a few tracks) then it can be limited to say 90 degrees instead of 180 degrees perhaps. Many sources in a stereo mix are point source mono sounds anyway.
    And I say don't worry about it.  Make it sound as good as you can in stereo, and don't worry about mono compatibility.
    tarsier
    Re:Does mono compatibility still matter? 2011/02/01 11:09:01 (permalink)
    even if L and R start out 180 degress out, the phase differences off-center will not be. There will also be delayed versions from reflections blending in. Still, I would expect such a condition to produce a nasty-sounding sum.

Yes, it will be nasty sounding, but that's not the point.  The point is that if you sum such a mix electrically, you will get silence. If you sum it acoustically, you'll still get plenty of sound. Your original premise was that you should check mono compatibility because no one listens in the sweet spot, it's all essentially 'mono' listening around corners, in cars, out of one earbud, that sort of thing.  That 'mono' sound is nowhere near the same thing as a stereo mix electrically summed to mono.

Again, yes, my example will sound terrible, but that wouldn't be a good sounding stereo mix under any circumstances--it was a contrived example to point out how acoustic summing isn't the same as electric summing. So when you've done that experiment, do this one: Make a quick decent sounding stereo mix using all sorts of phase tricks to widen the sound. Use small delays on individual tracks, wideners, that sort of thing. Don't worry about mono compatibility at all, just make it a really wide, good sounding mix.  Now do what you suggested and listen outside the sweet spot, around corners, in another room, in a car.  How does it sound? Sum it to mono in the DAW. How does it sound?
    batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:Does mono compatibility still matter? 2011/02/01 11:41:15 (permalink)
    I don't give the issue a minute's worry.

i know this:
    i've been mixing songs on various media since 1983....
    and never ONCE has ANYONE mentioned anything about a mix sounding off in mono.

heheh

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Middleman
    Re:Does mono compatibility still matter? 2011/02/01 11:53:00 (permalink)
    Can't argue with that.

The Maillard Reaction
    . 2011/02/01 12:03:01 (permalink)
    post edited by Caa2 - 2017/04/08 19:14:54

batsbrew
    Re:Does mono compatibility still matter? 2011/02/01 12:18:19 (permalink)
    i'm simply relaying my personal experience.

i'm not concerned with national broadcast at this time.

if i do, i'll learn those techniques then.

i can tell you one thing is certain, it's not slowing me down at all.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

tarsier
    Re:Does mono compatibility still matter? 2011/02/01 15:14:00 (permalink)
    I think you will find that the broadcast engineers in the quality control department are still very much aware of mono compatibility.

I believe you.  Doesn't mean that it matters.

The Maillard Reaction
    . 2011/02/01 16:28:19 (permalink)
    post edited by Caa2 - 2017/04/08 19:15:14

batsbrew
    Re:Does mono compatibility still matter? 2011/02/01 18:03:01 (permalink)
    yea, i don't know if it says a lot to experiment with mp3s, so much data is lost already.

as soon as folks start listening to my tunes in MONO, i'll get right on it.

when i sum to mono and playback thru my little ghetto/box speaker, it sounds fine to me.
    that's good enough.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

Middleman
    Re:Does mono compatibility still matter? 2011/02/01 20:04:22 (permalink)
    I was listening to Taylor Swifts new album. Don't throw tomatoes please, it was for analysis only. What is a very awesome mix on speakers and headphones completely falls down in the car, in this case a single speaker in the dash. It sounds like her voice in the middle and the compression pump which comes at you from both sides is missing. A whole different impression, kind of wimpy actually. The whole band falls out of the picture and becomes this muffled sound like playing down the hall. Just saying a little time on a mono speaker might have fixed that. On the other hand, it is a killer stereo mix so perhaps the production team didn't really care.

batsbrew
    Re:Does mono compatibility still matter? 2011/02/01 20:53:41 (permalink)
    yea, i think the point there is, there are so few folks listening on anything other than ipods, much less old car radios and whatnot, it's become the lowest common denominator.

when i crank sh!t thru my yamaha natural sound and my Infinty Research Standards, i could honestly care less about mono mixes.

that said, i love my old beatles mono mixes thru the same stereo!!

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

The Maillard Reaction
    . 2011/02/01 20:58:15 (permalink)
    post edited by Caa2 - 2017/04/08 19:15:26

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1