Does this sound like "MODERN ROCK" to you?

Author
SvenArne
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2719
2010/07/26 15:39:17 (permalink)

Does this sound like "MODERN ROCK" to you?

Hey song forum!

I'm mixing this demo song by a group of 16-17 year old kids who I know from my former occupation as a music teacher.
They wrote and tracked it themselves in their rehearsal room using GarageBand.

Listening to the song and their tastes I'm thinking they want a "Modern Rock" in-yo'-face kind of sound. Problem is, I don't normally do "rock" (modern or otherwise), but I've heard you need to compress the drums. So I promply augmented their kick and snare tracks with samples from Superior Drummer, and threw it all onto a bus with the UAD 1176LN compressor using a reasonably slow attack and a high ratio.

So am I in the ballpark here? I've reduced reverb to the absolute minimum and added delay to make the vocals stand out. Should I compress the drums any further?

I'm kinda proud of the lofi/hifi effect on the intro. Makes you believe the track sounds better than it does!

Any suggestions that might make the mix rock harder?

I've uploaded the mp3 to my Soundclick page
for comments.

Sven

post edited by SvenArne - 2010/07/26 15:50:23

13 Replies Related Threads

droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    Re:Does this sound like "MODERN ROCK" to you? 2010/07/26 16:51:21 (permalink)
    I guess to be completely modern you'd have to crush it completely and totally auto-tune the vocals and correct every wee little error. It has probably considerably more dynamics than most modern stuff. I think that's a good thing, but if you really want to it sound like modern stuff it's probably still too organic for that. I think it sounds good though, if just taken for what it is and not trying to compare it something else.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    SvenArne
    Re:Does this sound like "MODERN ROCK" to you? 2010/07/26 17:09:58 (permalink)

Yeah, well I get what you're saying. The amount of processing insult that's being applied to mixes to make them "radio ready" these days is appaling.

I just checked out Amy Grant on Spotify (she's nowhere near as well-known in Europe as she is in the US, what with the Christian scene and all) for no reason other than today all of a sudden the song 'Baby baby' popped into my head, and I remembered I had a big crush on her back when I was 12. So after listening through "Baby baby" and getting my cheesy 90s nostalgia fix, I played a recent song of hers ("Better that a Hallelujah") only to be assailed by tons of auto-tune! What's the deal with smearing an excellent singer like Amy Grant with auto-tune?

Methinks it's time for another back to the basics Grunge revolution (without the Eddie Vedder vocals this time)...

Sven

notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    Re:Does this sound like "MODERN ROCK" to you? 2010/07/26 18:25:28 (permalink)
    Sounds pretty modern to me... but then I only listen to talk radio and CDs by older more seasoned musicians... old guys like me... I really don't have a clue what modern is supposed to sound like...

This sounds very well recorded and produced...
    The drums seem a little dry compared to the vocals, and the guitars and vocals are a little loud for me...
    Well done Sven...
    post edited by notnat - 2010/07/26 18:28:28
    SvenArne
    Re:Does this sound like "MODERN ROCK" to you? 2010/07/29 16:04:00 (permalink)
    Thanks alot! I disagree that the vocals are to loud in general, but maybe they pop out a little at certain places...

Perhaps you're right about the drums. I'll try and add a little more room verb to them!
    post edited by SvenArne - 2010/07/29 16:09:58

savageopera
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 625
    Re:Does this sound like "MODERN ROCK" to you? 2010/07/30 22:48:49 (permalink)
    Hello SvenArne,  I think you have your hands full here.  I like what you've done, sounds "modern" to me. If it were my mix I would beef up the kick drum as it's a bit thin for this heavy tune....I can only hear it during the slow parts................good, ambitious job...............Ron

Sonar Artist, HP Laptop, AMD A8700 , 1T+250g, M-Audio Fast Track Ultra ,Roland 88 Hammer action, Roland AX-1, M-audio 88es, Arturia minilabII......When I was young I wanted to become a mad scientist. I achieved everything except the "scientist" part....http://www.soundclick.com/savageopera
    Thatsastrat
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1267
    Re:Does this sound like "MODERN ROCK" to you? 2010/07/31 12:52:34 (permalink)
    Sven,
    I like what you have going so far. If I were mixing I could be tempted to try lowering the guitars, and vocals a couple db each, to see if that helps the rthym section (drums & bass) pop out more before I raised it. I would also be tempted to put some sort of distortion or overdrive on the vocal part, so that when it gets into the section where the singer is almost yelling I could increase the distortion there to get that to start to break up a bit, so the almost over the edge sound is there. Right now the mix is not angry enough for this type of song in my opinion. I am not saying do this to the whole song, but in places where the tension in the song is high, it could use more angry. JMO
    post edited by Thatsastrat - 2010/07/31 12:56:18
    geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    Re:Does this sound like "MODERN ROCK" to you? 2010/07/31 14:05:48 (permalink)
    Hi Sven,

I think this sounds very good. I do think the kick drum could be a little louder, tho.

Although I'd never have thought of this myself, I think Thatsastrat has good suggestion
    about a little overdrive on the vocal in places.

Very nice!

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:Does this sound like "MODERN ROCK" to you? 2010/07/31 14:18:07 (permalink)
    I think it sounds really good.  Everything seems well balanced and modern to my ears. 
    Jackel
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 398
    Re:Does this sound like "MODERN ROCK" to you? 2010/07/31 14:38:07 (permalink)
    I really like it as does my 18 year old son who is missing warp tour today because he's sick.  I didn't care for the guitar at the very beginning but generally very well put together with nice modern tones.  Pretty pitchy in some of the louder vocals bits if I'm being honest.

Jeff 
    i7 - Win7 64 - 12GB 1066 RAB - 128GB SSD Boot Drive - 2x1TB Data Drives - Nvidia GeForce 640 2GB Video - Mackie Blackbird - Grace M101 - KRK Vxt8's RP5's - UAD Solo

Sonar X3d - Ableton Live 8 - Komplete 9 - Ivory 2 - Spectrasonics - Plus...
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Does this sound like "MODERN ROCK" to you? 2010/07/31 17:42:23 (permalink)
    this sounds pretty good to me.... I like the dry pause.  Listening on buds..... and it sounded pretty decent here.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    SvenArne
    Re:Does this sound like "MODERN ROCK" to you? 2010/08/01 19:29:16 (permalink)
    Thanks for the advice people! I feel that modern heavy rock is a style that has a very defined set of rules, and do not really know how you usually go about "getting there", but many people on this forum do, as I've heard examples of lots of times.

It really is a dense sound with all the high gain guitars, so it's a tough decision what to pull out of the mix.

Savage Opera > The kick in itself is as chunky as I can can make it, but perhaps the bass or guitars are stealing its thunder a bit so I could probably work on that. The whole drum kit is turned down during the verses to help create a dynamic between the sections, so that might contribute to the kick sounding kinda thin and clicky during the slow parts.

Thatsastrat > There actually is a distortion plugin (Voxengo Tube Amp) on the whole vocal track (subtle during the verses, more pronounced in the heavy sections). I'm sure you can hear it during the screams in the chorus? Maybe there should be a bit more. I'm always a bit cautious with this kind of effect. In this case I'd think more distortion would further hurt the singer's diction (which is kind of non-existant already...)

Geeare1 and GuitarTrek > Thanks alot!

Jackel > Yeah, I guess the squashed lofi intro guitar sound is a matter of taste, but you gotta agree it makes the rest of the song sound better in comparison? ;) Yeah the vocals are pitchy at times, but I think he makes up for it in energy. He's only 16 or 17 right now, so I'm certain better intonation will come to him (I for one couldn't sing in tune to save my life when I was his age). I could dive in and V-vocal the crap out of the track, but that would be a lot of work, this being a freebee mix of a demo song and besides, I don't think it matters all that much in this genre.

Guitarhacker > Thanks alot!

Sven
    post edited by SvenArne - 2010/08/01 20:22:15

Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    Re:Does this sound like "MODERN ROCK" to you? 2010/08/01 19:54:19 (permalink)
    The only things I don't like are the toms and something about the EQ on the lead vox. I just read about the distortion, turn it up. You have to make a choice. Modern rock, or diction.
    post edited by 10Ten - 2010/08/01 19:55:54
    mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:Does this sound like "MODERN ROCK" to you? 2010/08/02 05:58:22 (permalink)
    if we're talking production it sounds mostly good sven.
     the guitar sound is a bit rough, at times a little out of tune, but that's down to them.

Drums are good, i agree kick could have more oomph. most rock songs feature a layered kick drum, one with a thuddy sound and one with a clicky sound, to get that balance of body and attack. cymbals maybe need a touch more room sound to em.

I'm losing the bass mostly, only certain notes are audible. that'd generally mean needs more compressing, i guess, again dunno how they recorded but again, it'd tend to be a mix of (amp) recording and DI reamped thru something...didn't like the vocals much but you seem to have the levels about right.

overall it's ok, but the end of the song all you can hear is snare and vocals. if that's how they want it, fine!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1