"Dogfight!" Aerial Combat (Mix Update)

Author
AsherLongley
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 683
2008/05/12 02:03:34 (permalink)

"Dogfight!" Aerial Combat (Mix Update)

5-20-08 Mix Update: Level adjustment to lead guitar and bass
Hello all: I recently finished producing a fairly complicated song I call "Dogfight!". It's based on the HISTORY channel TV show of the same name.

This is a musical odyssey of sorts and places the listener in the cockpit of a jet fighter as it takes off into the great beyond.

There's a lot going on here so if you have any comments for improvement or just want to say you like it please let me know. Thank you!

"Dogfight!"
http://www.matthewjhoffman.com/music-22.html

Cheers, -Matthew
post edited by AsherLongley - 2008/05/20 14:38:48

23 Replies Related Threads

Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: "Dogfight!" Aerial Combat 2008/05/12 02:19:47 (permalink)
    It's very nice, and well made. The idea is great, get a bit of action in. Not sure the music is exactly right for the genre, though. I'm more accustomed to a more simple kind of (techno) drone, which works amazingly well during such games, for which I take it this is written? Or isn't the theme for in-game use?

Here's one of my old Dos favorites that sortof paved the way musically, close cousin of Descent:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GLyrXTL683g

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    AsherLongley
    RE: "Dogfight!" Aerial Combat 2008/05/12 02:41:02 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Roflcopter

It's very nice, and well made. The idea is great, get a bit of action in. Not sure the music is exactly right for the genre, though. I'm more accustomed to a more simple kind of (techno) drone, which works amazingly well during such games, for which I take it this is written? Or isn't the theme for in-game use?

Here's one of my old Dos favorites that sortof paved the way musically, close cousin of Descent:

ROFLCOPTER: I never did get a chance to play Terminal Velocity, but I like the music a lot.

This song was inspired by the "Dogfight!" TV show. I saw a WWII dog fight and a Vietnam era jet fight reenactment. It was so well done that it inspired this composition. This song is more of a "musical story/journey". No plans for in-game music, but that would be a great career switch!!! I'd certainly go for that.
    foxwolfen
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: "Dogfight!" Aerial Combat 2008/05/12 12:47:15 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Roflcopter

Ever since Top Gun, dog fight music seems to have gone to a cheesy rock sound with little creativity and lots of simple scale improvs.

Its nice to hear something thats not the same. This is a nice bit of guitar and symphonic blend. Bit of a Satriani feel to the whole thing in the sense there is a classical feel to the electric.

Cheers
    Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: "Dogfight!" Aerial Combat 2008/05/12 13:39:54 (permalink)
    I think there can be a mix of melodic and rhythmic, but for a game or to get the listener worked up, there's no denying the body's rhythms. Ballet music sure won't work, I mean.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=unF1QIdwdfs

For a dogfight thing, I'd splice all sorts of shots from those stuntflyers doing sudden rolls, and the music would do the exact same thing, in surround, and equally sudden.

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    darylcrowley
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2700
    RE: "Dogfight!" Aerial Combat 2008/05/12 16:39:29 (permalink)
    I love those shows (I used to be a hard-core Flight Sim fanatic - Yoke and pedals, tons of add-ons and serious attention to detail - I love airplanes of all kind.)

Some nice guitar work there, I like the wha. It could use more bass ( I say that a lot.)

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
    Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
    Windows 7 64bit Professional
    Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
    http://www.darylcrowley.com/
    rolifer@verizon.net
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1676
    RE: "Dogfight!" Aerial Combat 2008/05/12 19:15:29 (permalink)
    Dogfights is one of my favorite shows. As Shad sai you are up against a stereotype that is hard to overcome. I like what you have, but most of the idiots in this world want what they are used to. Pity them.

Great work.

Ron
    Mamabear
    • Total Posts : 8954
    RE: "Dogfight!" Aerial Combat 2008/05/12 19:42:38 (permalink)
    Lots of imagination went into this one. Great work!
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    RE: "Dogfight!" Aerial Combat 2008/05/12 20:46:07 (permalink)
    drums and bass work well together. thnik the lead guitar should come up a bit. nice idea well realised. i'm just damn frustrated i should be able to see a video whilst listening to this!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Rockin
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 102
    RE: "Dogfight!" Aerial Combat 2008/05/12 22:13:13 (permalink)
    They are excellent shows; I've seen them all :-) It's wild that people fought like that, it will never happen again... It's all “over the horizon” now, fire and forget.

I really like the mixture of sound textures you have here. It’s cool the way the lead and rhythm guitars mix, and the synths. Nice use of accents with the radio chat. I’m curious how you made it “sound” as if it was a radio transmission?

Walk Hard...

There is no meditation without wisdom, and there is no wisdom without meditation. When a man has both meditation and wisdom, he is indeed close to nirvana.

Buddha (563 - 483 BC)
    AsherLongley
    RE: "Dogfight!" Aerial Combat 2008/05/12 22:13:32 (permalink)
    FOXWOLFEN: Thanks for the comment, and the Satriani reference. He's been a give influence in my musical career. I must be disconnected enough from dog fight music culture that I haven't been tainted yet .

ROFLCOPTER: I would absolutely love to director and correograph the visuals to this piece. When I write music like this, it is always accompanied by a visual impression (particulary this piece). I try to produce as much visual stimulation as possible with the panning, blending, and sound effects.

DARYL: Thanks for listening. I agree with you, I'll up the bass a bit. My track envelopes look like spaghetti in this project. I'll have to pull a few strands aside so I can find the bass!

RON: Thanks for the complement and encouragement. I must not have heard much dog fight music before. Do you have any examples of what NOT to do?

MAMABEAR: Thank you for listening and the comment!

MGH: Thanks for the comment. I'll work on massaging the lead parts a bit. Thanks for pointing that out. I so wish I could get those visuals for you. I'll give a short description of what I see at the beginning of this song in the next post.

ROCKIN: Thanks for the great feedback. The radio "voice acting" was done by me. I used a Cakewalk amp sim to get it distorted then used a Sonitus EQ set to "telephone" to make it sound mono and analog. I then did a little extra EQ tweaking then added a subtle reverb.

The other radio chatter with the scratches, blops, and pops was a stock sound effect I downloaded from the web. I have about 10 FX tracks with various sounds playing throughout the song. I wanted to add a theatrical story touch with an interweaving musical interpretation of the same events.

post edited by AsherLongley - 2008/05/12 23:20:06
    AsherLongley
    RE: "Dogfight!" Aerial Combat 2008/05/12 22:31:14 (permalink)
    For those of you who wish this had visuals, here are some descriptions of what I envision happening during this song:

0:00 - 1:40
    It's dusk, and there are dark, heavy rain clouds hanging high above a dry coastal military air base. The wind blows an old rusty metal sign hanging above the porch of an abandoned officer's house at the edge of the air field.

A distant alarm sounds and a hanger door is opened. We hear an F-18 Hornet taxi out of the hanger and down the runway. Soon, the sound of other jet fighters heating up follows. Many planes begin to take off, then the wing commander radios for his unit to join formation.

1:40 - 3:43
    During the "spanish guitar" part, our squadron is flying high altitude above the "goo" and can see other squardons of fighters engaging the enemy over open water. The commander informs the squadron to keep to the objective, however, they are intercepted by enemy fighters and must engage. There is a near miss on "dash-two". The wing commander pulls in behind the bandit and takes it out with a heater.

3:44 - 5:50
    After conquering the enemy attack, they begin their low altitude ground strike run over enemy territory. The group nears their target but meets heavy resistance and battles adversaries in the air as well and danger from the ground. The squadron drops to 200 feet above the deck as they approach the primary target. They weave through a tall gorge and erupt from the gorge in what's called a "hanging valley" (glaciar sheared valley). The objective is in the valley below and they drop their payload before returning to base.

5:51 - End
    This is the, "That was just plain cool" ease-back music. We return to the old porch, the rusted sign, and a well deserved stretch of R and R.
    foxwolfen
    RE: "Dogfight!" Aerial Combat 2008/05/13 00:31:56 (permalink)
    So would you like the vid to be made?

I have made a variety of flight related vids. It might be fun to put your music to some real action.

http://www.ascendant-online.net/v/Movies/Alpha-Apache-RC2.flv.html

This was a promo vid I made for Alphasim... I was not allowed to show combat due to the fact that the model was not armed and they did not want me to show anythign that was not part of the product. As the scenery was not theirs, I decided to add my own effects and suggest combat, with out actually showing it.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    AsherLongley
    RE: "Dogfight!" Aerial Combat 2008/05/13 00:54:46 (permalink)
    Shad, I'm intrigued by your offer. Are you a 3D modeler/animator? I've worked with 3DSMax in the past, but that was years ago. What did you have in mind? I've certainly got the audio down to a tight storyboard (in my mind that is) with large swaths of the song occupied by musical interpretations of the acted parts.

I like what you've done with the alphasim demo. From what you said, I can see where you were holding back the action in your video. Nice work.

-Matthew
    foxwolfen
    RE: "Dogfight!" Aerial Combat 2008/05/13 01:48:55 (permalink)
    I am what is today called a Machinamest. I am, basically, making films using real time animation (in this case using Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004). I have not done any modeling in a couple of years, though Jonbouy is one of my friends from FFDS (FreeFlight Design Shop) who is currently actively building models. These days I mostly concentrate on effects and camera programming, and then editing and post production.

I actually started making music to support my film endevours. Everywhere I turned it was either illegal to use music, or it cost an arm and a leg to license. The cheapest I got (for rather mediocre music) was $25.00 a minute... uhh... no.. SO I decided to learn how to play keyboards and create my own music.

Most of the films I have are tests, used to learn how to get interesting shots and camera angles, or how to get more than one plane in the sim to fly together as the sim was not designed for formation and multi-use aircraft maneuvers such as what you saw in the vid (that vid was the first one ever made where there were 14 "live" (hand flown) models on screen at once... i had to build one hell of a monster computer to cope with it as its not easy getting that many aircraft and ground scenery to render realitime.

here is one I am working on still, it uses a lot more post processed effects. Its short, but took about a month a minute to make... Its still a bit rough, the next part will hopefully improve the effects a bit...

http://www.ascendant-online.net/v/Movies/CloseEncounter.flv.html

Anyway, if you have a story in mind, post it up and we can see what we can do with it.

Cheers
    Shad

Composers Forum
    DuRod
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1082
    RE: "Dogfight!" Aerial Combat 2008/05/13 06:18:46 (permalink)
    Wow Matt, this is exceptional. This is a five star piece and more, really like the way you transitioned into the return home at the end. Very nice guitar work..........very nice. Standing ovation from me.

Duane
    AsherLongley
    RE: "Dogfight!" Aerial Combat 2008/05/13 19:21:14 (permalink)
    SHAD: That sounds like a fun creative endevour. I'll email you so we can discuss it more.

DUANE: Thanks for listening and the comment. I really like the resolution back to the ol' porch too!!
    foxwolfen
    RE: "Dogfight!" Aerial Combat 2008/05/14 00:59:17 (permalink)
    Got it and replied.

Composers Forum
    CreatingNoise
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1666
    RE: "Dogfight!" Aerial Combat 2008/05/14 11:06:48 (permalink)
    Matt,
    That was a really cool ride. It was very well executed and mixed and had me riding along with the groove. Nice work!
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: "Dogfight!" Aerial Combat 2008/05/14 12:42:54 (permalink)
    I would venture to say that this is your best work yet Mr. Matt! Exceptional guitar playing. The story-line, fx, and the vibe, all fit together perfectly. Kudos to you taking your imagination and making it into something cohesive! I really liked the 'chill' on the ending. Drums sounded 'big' and really drove this tune right along. Wonderful. Now, where's my helmut??

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    AsherLongley
    RE: "Dogfight!" Aerial Combat 2008/05/15 20:08:33 (permalink)
    CreatingNoise: Thanks for listening. My entire goal with this piece is to immerse the listener in the story and make the imagination take flight and leave the "real world" for a few minutes. I'm glad you went along for the ride!

Larry: Wow, now that sets a new bar for me. I'm glad you liked the ending. It's almost like a "flavor" thing for me when I create songs with multiple motifs. The song needed to end off with a "taste" of that layed back feeling of success and R&R. I'm glad you liked it. I LOVE the drums too. A friend of mine named Joshua Humlie performed the drum section with a 6 track recorder. His style added a lot to the end result. He knocks the socks off of drum loops. I'm hooked!
    AsherLongley
    RE: "Dogfight!" Aerial Combat 2008/05/20 14:20:18 (permalink)
    As per some suggestions, I've adjusted the mix levels for my lead guitar tracks and bass track.
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: "Dogfight!" Aerial Combat 2008/05/21 10:33:50 (permalink)
    One can never have too much guitar 'eh?? It sounds like you boosted them a bit Matt which gives this song a bit more 'oommpphh'. How much more db did you boost them. i've found that in certain cases a .5db boost, as subtle as that might seem, can really make that instrument stand out. I'd say you nailed it here...

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    AsherLongley
    RE: "Dogfight!" Aerial Combat 2008/05/21 12:24:08 (permalink)
    I have my lead guitar tracks sent to a sub stereo channel and then have a volume envelope on that channel. Each section has a volume envelope node section, where I can adjust individual "leads" throughout the song. That being said, I adjusted each lead part seperately, anywhere from .5db all the way up to 2.5db.

For the bass I increased the entire track (via the trim) by 2db. I also adjusted some of the vocal acting parts down a bit because the shrill treble on some recordings (due to the audio manipulation to make it sound like communication chatter) was too high.

Thanks for the feedback. (Now it would be just perfect if I could figure out where to fit some cowbell in).
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1