DonM; automation screenshot

Author
The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
2007/08/13 18:55:05 (permalink)

DonM; automation screenshot

Don,
In another thread I said I used "massive" amounts of automation (I'll probably live to regret *bragging* about it) and you asked to see a screen shot.

I've been having fun on the forum all day... I guess it's time to keep my word and post a screen shot. These tracks ended up sounding like 2 guitars playing counterpoint feedback melodies.

The clip envelopes shown are for gain.

I can't wait for clip envelopes to drive the console automation just like track envelopes.

best regards,
mike

edit: oh BTW here's a link to the tune:

http://harmoniccycle.com/hc/sounds/mp3/redbay/travel_light.mp3

please excuse the cheesy MIDI rhythm section... at least it's an original compisition :-)
post edited by mike_mccue - 2007/08/13 19:07:45

2 Replies Related Threads

DonM
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4129
    RE: DonM; automation screenshot 2007/08/13 19:59:48 (permalink)
    Mike:

Yep, that makes sense from your earlier post. And from the benefits of reliable automation seems to be the ticket for your workflow. With the Clip Locking feature of S6 you probably suffer far worse 'fat clicking' errors in an editing session than I do for sure! Fat Clicking ends up moving clips or automation unintentionally.

I will grab a screen cap from my main workstation with track envelopes out the wazoo on a mixdown for a radio broadcast and DVD. The project is a seven hour 16 track memorial concert for a local blues legend. I have to automate all of the effects and EQ in addtion to gain and pan since the 16 tracks get used differently by every artist in the program (and there were over 50 individuals in the event). So the only way I could deal with the linear tracks was to automate everything that I could.

Now I just thought... If you use the Clip FX bin you most likely could automate the FX in the clip eh? You would just not be able to bus the effects and automate them in stems.

I do effect/stem automation as well - do you? Since stems are clipless I'm not sure how you would duplicate the clip automation. Let me know.

-D

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: DonM; automation screenshot 2007/08/13 20:05:21 (permalink)
    "I do effect/stem automation as well - do you? Since stems are clipless I'm not sure how you would duplicate the clip automation. Let me know."

By the time I get to that stage I'm willing to use the track enevelopes. It's kinda awkward but It works for me.

And for my work I don't do a lot of panning. I'm more of a this is the room kinda mixer.

best,
    mike
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1